sprocketship
8 posters
AuthorMessage
sprocketship
sprocketship

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2009-01-28

6th Doctor costume Empty
PostSubject: 6th Doctor costume   6th Doctor costume EmptyFri Jun 04, 2010 11:43 pm

Okay, so I enjoyed the 6th Doctor episodes when they aired in Atlanta in the mid 80's.

Now, there are only a few I still enjoy:

ATTACK OF THE CYBERMEN
TERROR OF THE VEROIDS
and
MINDWARP

I'm in the process of getting my fiance into Classic WHO and she's not really taken to it. She watched TERROR OF THE AUTONS and thought it was okay. I think she watched UNEARHTLY CHILD and, again, thought it was ok.

We tried PYRAMID OF MARS, but she gave up after part 1! =(

She fell asleep during THE KROTONS pt1 and TIME WARRIOR pt1...

I'd try the sixth Doctor on her, but that darn coat of his...! It's almost embarassing to say, "I like this Doctor" when he's walking around in that outfit.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

Maybe we should try GHOSTLIGHT next...
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2105
Registration date : 2008-04-04

6th Doctor costume Empty
PostSubject: Re: 6th Doctor costume   6th Doctor costume EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 12:55 am

well, at the risk of sounding sexist, if she wasn't a who fan before, don't try getting her into the "classic" episodes. i would start with series one with eccleston and go from there.
Back to top Go down
mysterylad
mysterylad

Number of posts : 1660
Registration date : 2009-02-21

6th Doctor costume Empty
PostSubject: Re: 6th Doctor costume   6th Doctor costume EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 2:49 am

I agree with Bret. You will get nowhere with the classic series, and even if you do make a little progress, that'll all be out the window once she sees how mean Six could be to Peri (women don't care to see other women called morons by overbearing men).
Back to top Go down
http://www.cmichaelhall.com
Anonymous

6th Doctor costume Empty
PostSubject: Re: 6th Doctor costume   6th Doctor costume EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 2:59 am

mysterylad wrote:
I agree with Bret. You will get nowhere with the classic series, and even if you do make a little progress, that'll all be out the window once she sees how mean Six could be to Peri (women don't care to see other women called morons by overbearing men).

Then maybe avoid Eccleston for the time he called Rose a "stupid ape"?

~
Back to top Go down
Dr Scottie
Dr Scottie

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2009-12-14

6th Doctor costume Empty
PostSubject: Re: 6th Doctor costume   6th Doctor costume EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 3:35 am

speaking from experience it is VERY hard to get the GF into classic who. I went to buy the "Myths and Legends" boxset this morning and the first words out of GF's mouth were "Great, more Dr crap". And Ghostlight is a definate no, Ive tried that one.

New series? no problem's, she loooooovvvvesss tennant and smith. Not so keen on eccleston.

The best result Ive had was with Remembrance and even then it was a tepid endorsement at best.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

6th Doctor costume Empty
PostSubject: Re: 6th Doctor costume   6th Doctor costume EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 3:39 am

Dr Scott wrote:
speaking from experience it is VERY hard to get the GF into classic who. I went to buy the "Myths and Legends" boxset this morning and the first words out of GF's mouth were "Great, more Dr crap". And Ghostlight is a definate no, Ive tried that one.

New series? no problem's, she loooooovvvvesss tennant and smith. Not so keen on eccleston.

The best result Ive had was with Remembrance and even then it was a tepid endorsement at best.

Is this a common trend or something? I've had no problem watching classic Who at all. :/
~
Back to top Go down
Vicki
Vicki

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2008-07-03

6th Doctor costume Empty
PostSubject: Re: 6th Doctor costume   6th Doctor costume EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 6:47 am

a1cmustangpilot wrote:
Dr Scott wrote:

Is this a common trend or something? I've had no problem watching classic Who at all. :/
~

Hmm, dunno -- I started with classic Who, and loved it then, but if it was the first time, I'd probably have preferred the new stuff, but then I tend to like things shiny... Razz

[and I'm somewhat less keen on Eccleston myself, though I did like him, I didn't actually come back to Who till I saw Tennant...]

Still, seems like you've tried classic, perhaps best to move ahead!
Back to top Go down
http://www.livejournal.com/users/fleurette
jfh1970
jfh1970

Number of posts : 1850
Registration date : 2010-02-13

6th Doctor costume Empty
PostSubject: Re: 6th Doctor costume   6th Doctor costume EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 10:07 am

If the GF started out with the new series, then most likely she's going to either dislike or have a hard time getting into the classic series. You can't ignore the fact that as good as some of the classic stories are they're a different format to get used to. Even I find myself liking the new series' 45 minute stories more than the classic 4-6 parters. This is coming from someone who grew up on the classic series too. Of course this depends on my mood and how good the story is. Some of the classics had some major, major padding that's for sure.

I envy you trying to get your GF into the classic series. When my ex and I first started dating he had no idea what DW was so I "educated" him. The first story I ever showed him was a Tom Baker story which he fell asleep to, but I blame that on things that were going on at the time. We tried again with An Unearthly Child and wound up watching every existing story in order just in time for the arrival of the new Ninth Doctor. Believe it or not after watching all of the Doctors (1-10) his fave was Hartnell.

Good luck with your mission.
Back to top Go down
Shatterbang
Shatterbang

Number of posts : 581
Registration date : 2010-05-04

6th Doctor costume Empty
PostSubject: Re: 6th Doctor costume   6th Doctor costume EmptySun Jun 20, 2010 10:19 pm

I had the same problem with my wife. She's not much interested in the old stuff, likes Eccleston best.

We both officially started watching Who with Eccleston, but I'm enjoying the old ones personally. The wife will look over my shoulder with half-lidded interest, but so far hasn't been much into any of them so far. I've been watching them in ordr and am on The Claws of Axos (Pertwee).

But she likes TNG over old Trek too....
Back to top Go down
http://emerdelac.wordpress.com
jfh1970
jfh1970

6th Doctor costume Empty
PostSubject: Re: 6th Doctor costume   6th Doctor costume EmptySun Jun 20, 2010 10:24 pm

I think it's funny when people prefer new updated versions of shows over original ones. They'll come up with excuses like the show is too dated or boring. What they fail to realize is the day will come (let's say twenty years from now) when their preferred versions are going to get the same kind of reaction from newbies.
Back to top Go down
Shatterbang
Shatterbang

6th Doctor costume Empty
PostSubject: Re: 6th Doctor costume   6th Doctor costume EmptySun Jun 20, 2010 10:32 pm

jfh1970 wrote:
I think it's funny when people prefer new updated versions of shows over original ones. They'll come up with excuses like the show is too dated or boring. What they fail to realize is the day will come (let's say twenty years from now) when their preferred versions are going to get the same kind of reaction from newbies.

I feel the same way. As a matter of fact, I automatically discount any critique of something that even mentions that as a criteria of judgment. You've got to put yourself in the mindset of the audience it was intended for. If you don't, you miss out on something as awesome as say, Gunga Din because its in black and white, or The Hidden Fortress because its subtitled.

Its why I don't normally go to see remade movies.
Back to top Go down
jfh1970
jfh1970

6th Doctor costume Empty
PostSubject: Re: 6th Doctor costume   6th Doctor costume EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 12:53 am

The other day I was watching a DW review on YouTube by this guy who calls himself Tricklestone. If you haven't watched him and his reviews, then check him out he's really awesome. Anywho, he was reviewing Invasion of the Dinosaurs and he mentioned the "look" of the dinosaurs. Nothing really negative but just like him I've always overlooked the way they're presented because the story itself is quite good and great fun.

A lot of DW is like that anyway with things like shaky walls and people in obvious monster costumes, but whether it's DW or something else I feel that it's worth looking at the story more than the special effects. One can miss a real good tale just by making the wrapping around it a priority first.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

6th Doctor costume Empty
PostSubject: Re: 6th Doctor costume   6th Doctor costume EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 1:03 am

jfh1970 wrote:
The other day I was watching a DW review on YouTube by this guy who calls himself Tricklestone. If you haven't watched him and his reviews, then check him out he's really awesome. Anywho, he was reviewing Invasion of the Dinosaurs and he mentioned the "look" of the dinosaurs. Nothing really negative but just like him I've always overlooked the way they're presented because the story itself is quite good and great fun.

A lot of DW is like that anyway with things like shaky walls and people in obvious monster costumes, but whether it's DW or something else I feel that it's worth looking at the story more than the special effects. One can miss a real good tale just by making the wrapping around it a priority first.

I'm always looking at it from the mindset that it is "happening now" so even though something is clearly fake, it'll still scare me to no end. In fact, I prefer a lot of classic Who to series 5 right now because the monsters were actual costumes. Plus, the Ogris are just.... ?!

~
Back to top Go down
^o^CORVUS^o^
^o^CORVUS^o^

Number of posts : 634
Registration date : 2010-03-14

6th Doctor costume Empty
PostSubject: Re: 6th Doctor costume   6th Doctor costume EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 4:27 pm

Shatterbang wrote:
Its why I don't normally go to see remade movies.
That's because so many remakes don't actually re-imagine anything, they just rehash, and do it badly.

That's why great remakes, like 1978's "Invasion of the Body Snatchers", 1982's "John Carpenter's THE THING" and the 2004 remake of "Dawn of the Dead" are so good. They keep only the basics of the premise intact and then take the story in different, worthwhile directions, than their predecessors, and also manage to be a product of their time as well. Its something that seems to have evaded too many directors who seem intent on remaking a classic property, which is a shame considering that remakes are NOT going away.

I too get very irritated at people who watch older films, older tv shows, or read older books and fail to keep in mind the era in which they were written or produced. Context is often everything.

========================================
...^o^CORVUS^o^
Doctor Who: The Winds of Time
Back to top Go down
http://corvusonline.net/timewinds/
Shatterbang
Shatterbang

6th Doctor costume Empty
PostSubject: Re: 6th Doctor costume   6th Doctor costume EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 11:39 pm

I'm totally with you, Corvus - except for the remake of Dawn of The Dead. I absolutely hated it.

Hate the running zombies (I refer to Simon Pegg's argument against it, which sums up my own feelings pretty much - http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/nov/04/television-simon-pegg-dead-set)

I hated the zombie baby. No way Omar Epps was going to let his zombified wife go to term. No way.

Hated the one intrinsic difference in the remake that totally screwed up the epidemic nature of the plague - only the bodies of the bitten were returning. In the original, the bodies of EVERYONE who died FOR ANY REASON returned, which is what made the whole thing uncontainable.

Too loud, too fast, too dumb. The original Romero Dawn Of The Dead is far superior IMO.

That being said, the opening to the remake was pretty brilliant, and the game of naming undead celebrity look-a-likes was funny. It just sorta went downhill for me from there.

I do enjoy remakes where they take the original idea and put it in a new direction (like Yojimbo into Fistful of Dollars, for instance, or Macbeth into Ran). I think of that as more of a reinvention however.
Back to top Go down

6th Doctor costume
Page 1 of 1