jfh1970
Ronpur
LakeErieMonster
36 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14 ... 25  Next
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 07, 2010 7:49 pm

Will everyone be mad at me if I say I hate Star Wars?
Back to top Go down
Invisible Supreme
Invisible Supreme

Number of posts : 2167
Registration date : 2010-03-16

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 07, 2010 7:59 pm

I won't. but I strongly disagree.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 07, 2010 7:59 pm

kcooper76 wrote:
Will everyone be mad at me if I say I hate Star Wars?

WHAT THE HOLY CHEESE?!!?!?!?!?!

THAT'S IT! FINAL STRAW, MAN!! "I KILL YOU!"

Nah, everyone is entitled to their opinion. "To each their own", no one hates you. Very Happy

Or do we? Wink Laughing
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 07, 2010 8:39 pm

I liked the original Trilogy. It wasn't very original (Let's take one part Wild West, one part outer space, one part fantasy, throw in a love story for good measure and mix it all together), but it was fun. And the Special Effects are serviceable to this day.

Then the Special Editions came out, needlessly jazzing up the movies with CG that's become very visibly dated. Now in the case of those creatures the Stormtroopers ride on Tatooine, or the X-Wing approach to the Death Star...those are fine. But the added scenes, like the approach to Mos Eisley, or worse the deliberate alteration of scenes (Greedo Shooting First, the Jabba's Palace musical number, the new Ending to RotJ)...that added nothing. And while they did manage to work in Jabba and Han's encounter at the space port, the CG on Jabba is so poor (He's too tiny!) that it really detracts.

Also, Special Editions were theoretically designed to clean up some technical snafus that I never noticed (Such as the see through snow speeder and something wrong with the Emperor's hood), yet they can't clear up one of the biggest glaring Effects flaws in the whole franchise (Obi-wan's Lightsaber in his battle with Darth Vader).

Disappointing, but still slightly entertaining. Made more so when Lucas finally allowed people the option of watching the original cut of the film with the latest DVD release (Though it was like pulling teeth, seeing how long it took Lucas to finally get around to it).

Then came the Prequels. Things went downhill from this point on.

I could go on about what the Prequels did wrong, but Red Letter Media did a fantastic break down of the first two movies in the Prequel (The third one is still to come).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKtZmQgxrI

Start your journey here. Be warned: Foul Language.
Back to top Go down
jfh1970
jfh1970

Number of posts : 1850
Registration date : 2010-02-13

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 6:17 am

I have to admit the musical numer in Jabba's palace does make me cringe a little bit. It reminds me of The Muppet Show but it's not that bad. I do love the new ending in ROTJ because for me it connects all six movies with the feeling that the viewer has come full circle. Besides the original Ewok music would stick in my head for days on end despite the fact that I hated it. I better stop writing about it because even now I can still hear it now albeit ever so softly. Laughing

Another question and it's about Jabba's name. How is it pronounced because it seems like C-3PO said it as Jab-ba while others said it as Jaw-ba. I've always said it in the latter verison.
Back to top Go down
Invisible Supreme
Invisible Supreme

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 10:23 am

it's sad how anakin goes from a person who won't leave obi wan to his doom, to a person who's trying to kill obi wan. The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 4 Icon_sad
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 11:07 am

Invisible Supreme wrote:
it's sad how anakin goes from a person who won't leave obi wan to his doom, to a person who's trying to kill obi wan. The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 4 Icon_sad

Well, to someone who does kill Obi-Wan. Sad
Back to top Go down
Invisible Supreme
Invisible Supreme

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 11:23 am

*sigh* yeah. The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 4 Icon_sad
Back to top Go down
artanyus
artanyus

Number of posts : 1513
Registration date : 2010-03-14

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 12:35 pm

scarywood wrote:
Invisible Supreme wrote:

The silver lining to it all is the fact that Anakin redeems himself by killing the Emperor in the end. Proof that love wins out over hatred any day.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 2:04 pm

artanyus wrote:
scarywood wrote:
Invisible Supreme wrote:

The silver lining to it all is the fact that Anakin redeems himself by killing the Emperor in the end. Proof that love wins out over hatred any day.

Indeed, that is true and so was the prochecy that he was the chosen one. In the end he brought balance to the force. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
artanyus
artanyus

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 2:25 pm

scarywood wrote:
artanyus wrote:
scarywood wrote:
Invisible Supreme wrote:

Indeed, that is true and so was the prochecy that he was the chosen one. In the end he brought balance to the force. Very Happy

Yes he did, and little did Luke know that it would be he who would be key in making that prophecy come to pass. The sad part to that though was that in order for Luke to defeat Vader, he did draw on the Dark Side just a little bit in his final offensive attack.

However, that was brought on by Vader's taunt that if he "would not join, the perhaps she would."
Back to top Go down
happydalek
happydalek

Number of posts : 384
Registration date : 2007-02-02

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 6:08 pm

Quote :
How is it pronounced because it seems like C-3PO said it as Jab-ba while others said it as Jaw-ba. I've always said it in the latter verison.

Too bad Jabba never says his own name, because that's what I go by in cases where there are different pronounciations of a character's name. Han is sometimes "han" (like in "hand") and sometimes "hawn" (rhymes with "fawn"), but he himself says "hawn" in his first line in Star Wars. Likewise, sometimes Leia is "lay-uh" and sometimes "lee-uh," but she herself says "lay-uh" when she introduces herself to Lando in Empire.

And then there's good old George Lucas who pronounces Naboo as "NEIGH-boo" and Dooku as "DOUGH-koo" in the DVD commentaries Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
jfh1970
jfh1970

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 8:11 pm

Invisible Supreme wrote:

They say there's a fine line between love and hate.

happydalek wrote:
Quote :
How is it pronounced because it seems like C-3PO said it as Jab-ba while others said it as Jaw-ba. I've always said it in the latter verison.

Too bad Jabba never says his own name, because that's what I go by in cases where there are different pronounciations of a character's name. Han is sometimes "han" (like in "hand") and sometimes "hawn" (rhymes with "fawn"), but he himself says "hawn" in his first line in Star Wars. Likewise, sometimes Leia is "lay-uh" and sometimes "lee-uh," but she herself says "lay-uh" when she introduces herself to Lando in Empire.

And then there's good old George Lucas who pronounces Naboo as "NEIGH-boo" and Dooku as "DOUGH-koo" in the DVD commentaries Rolling Eyes

Glad you brought this up because I thought it was only me that was hearing the differences in how people say names. scratch
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2105
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 9:27 pm

i always had the theory that anakid always fulfilled his destiny as the chosen one. he had to kill all of the good jedi, and all the bad jedi, to balance out the force. i mean, am i the only one who thought that mace windu was out of line in asking anakin to spy? the good jedi had been tainted, they were timelords victorious, and they had to be taken out. on the other side, when anakin finally killed the emporer, all of the dark jedi had been taken out. it left luke to start a new balance to the force.
Back to top Go down
Invisible Supreme
Invisible Supreme

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 9:45 pm

No, I think that mace and the other's should've waited for yoda and obi wan to get back, and then confront palpatine, so instead of some jedi unprepared, they could've had mace, yoda, and obi wan, and maybe even anakin to to confront palpatine, that way the couldv'e had the four most powerful jedi, and with yoda and obi wan around, they could've blocked anakins slash at mace windu, then he could've killed palpatine, but I'm not sure how they would explain what happened to the senate, also I think if the jedi actually had a clue to the power palpatine had, and how far he was gonna go to try to get all the jedi dead, they should've moved the younglings far away, to some secret place,far out of the reach of the empire.
Back to top Go down
jfh1970
jfh1970

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 10:12 pm

I seem to remember at Qui Gonn's funeral service that Mace and Yoda were discussing the Sith. Yoda reminded Windu that there's never more than two - a Master and an Apprentice. Windu's response was to question which one did Obi Wan get? Perhaps Windu thought that he was dealing with an apprentice when he decided to confront Palpatine and that's why he didn't take more protective measures like making sure that the younglings were taken care of.
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6853
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 10:15 pm

Is it weird that I actually liked A New Hope but didn't care for any of the other Star Wars movies I saw? (The rest of the original trilogy + Phantom Menace.)
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 2:45 am

no, not wierd. usually the first one is the best one. anyone who says that the empire strikes back usually irks me. they just say that because they loved the at-at scenes, and i hated those vehicles.
Back to top Go down
jfh1970
jfh1970

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 12:02 pm

bret_owen99 wrote:
no, not wierd. usually the first one is the best one. anyone who says that the empire strikes back usually irks me. they just say that because they loved the at-at scenes, and i hated those vehicles.

I can sort of confirm your theory. I used to have a friend who swore up and down that TESB was the absolute best. Guess what though? It was the first story in the SW series that he ever watched.
Back to top Go down
artanyus
artanyus

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 1:02 pm

bret_owen99 wrote:

Also, a vast majority of the people who say they like ESB better than any other movie use the reason that it was the only movie George Lucas didn't direct. I personally am a huge fan of all three of the original trilogy, and of the prequels I lean heavily towards Revenge of the Sith.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 2:18 pm

I must say that TESB is my favourite of the entire Saga, and it wasn't the first episode I saw. I like it purely because of Luke and Vader's duel, Yoda, Boba Fett and yes, those AT-ATs but it isn't just my favourite because of the Hoth scenes.
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 3:50 pm

the only one of the 3 "prequels" that i can stand was revenge of the sith. it was the only movie that hayden christensen did decent in. almost no jar jar binks. lots of death and violence. great space battle at the beginning. it was almost like the original movies, without all the politics and "kiddie" aliens.
Back to top Go down
Invisible Supreme
Invisible Supreme

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 9:06 pm

I like the Empire strikes back quite a bit, but I'd have to say my favorite out of the first three movies is ROTJ,because I love the battle scene in that one between luke and darth vader, and that darth vader threw the Emperor down and finally destroyed him, And I think They should've put qui gon at the ending with ghosts yoda, obi wan, and anakin. and my favorite out of the prequel trilogy would definitely have to be ROTS, for some of the same reasons that bret-owen99 liked it.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 15, 2010 7:58 pm

Well, Just got home from Star Wars Celebration V! It was fun, and huge. I only got one autograph, Jeremy Bulloch,, and I had him sign my copy of The Time Warrior Target novel!! And he sign it "Hal, the Archer"! He got a kick out of seeing something Doctor Who at a Star Wars show. I will try to get some pictures up later!
Back to top Go down
Invisible Supreme
Invisible Supreme

PostSubject: Re: The Official Star Wars Thread   The Official Star Wars Thread - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 15, 2010 10:40 pm

Ronpur wrote:
Well, Just got home from Star Wars Celebration V! It was fun, and huge. I only got one autograph, Jeremy Bulloch,, and I had him sign my copy of The Time Warrior Target novel!! And he sign it "Hal, the Archer"! He got a kick out of seeing something Doctor Who at a Star Wars show. I will try to get some pictures up later!
Hope you had a good time, it sounded fun.
Back to top Go down

The Official Star Wars Thread
Page 4 of 25Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14 ... 25  Next