Smeghead
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Smeghead
Smeghead

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2007-02-01

Red Dwarf... do you want some toast ? Empty
PostSubject: Red Dwarf... do you want some toast ?   Red Dwarf... do you want some toast ? EmptyThu Feb 01, 2007 11:59 pm

Any Red Dwarf fans here ? By my name it is easy to tell I am a fan. I figured since Who NA sells Red Dwarf merchandise I would start a Red Dwarf thread. So Who is your favorite crew member ? Mine is a tie between Rimmer and Lister. Which Holly did you like the male or female look ? I thought both were funny. What do you think happened to Rimmer, lister, the Cat and Kryten since the last episode ended the way it did ?

If any one from Who NA sees this I was wonder if you will be getting any of the Red Dwarf trading card sets by futura or maybe some of the Red Dwarf RPG game books ? You had the Electronic StarBug playsets but are now sold out, will you get any more possibly ?

Last edited by on Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Timeladyjojo
Timeladyjojo

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2007-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Red Dwarf... do you want some toast ?   Red Dwarf... do you want some toast ? EmptyFri Feb 02, 2007 1:54 am

Cool I don't find many people who know about Red Dwarf. I think it is awesome! My favorite character, probably Rimmer with Lister being a close 2nd. They are all good though. I think I liked Holly as a man- he wasn't as dippy. Loved Talkie the toaster and preferred the Cat as he was originally more like a cat. My favorite episode has to be Quarentine with Mr. Flibble. I haven't gotten to see the last ones for a while, so I am not sure!

Last edited by on Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
J. Thomas Jeans
J. Thomas Jeans

Number of posts : 30

PostSubject: Re: Red Dwarf... do you want some toast ?   Red Dwarf... do you want some toast ? EmptyFri Feb 02, 2007 2:14 am

Believe it or not, I've met more Red Dwarf fans than I have Doctor Who fans in my area. PBS stopped showing Doctor Who in the late 1990s in my location, but Red Dwarf has been a staple on just about every PBS station I've ever watched. Once it started coming on BBC America back in 2000/2001, even more people started to realize what it was.

I love Red Dwarf. I started watching it during the hiatus (due to the whole Craig Charles rape thing) so I was sad when I came to think that series 6 was the end. It wasn't a very good finale, a bit depressing... and then one day, my local PBS ran a pledge-a-thon that opened with series 7 of Red Dwarf. Very Happy

Am I the only person who doesn't think series 7 or 8 are as bad as the majority do? I rather liked both series, even if they weren't quite as funny as what had come before.

My favorite character is by far Lister. Rimmer comes a close second, but I love Lister. He was my role model when I wanted to live my life as a dirty, lazy bum. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Indiana_Brian

Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2007-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Red Dwarf... do you want some toast ?   Red Dwarf... do you want some toast ? EmptyFri Feb 02, 2007 5:30 pm

I like Red Dwarf as well. I do think the quality of the writing dropped a bit in the 7th series, but I think the 8th series made up for it with the return of Rimmer. I think the Lister/Rimmer dynamic is what made the show.
Back to top Go down
measkren
measkren

Number of posts : 38

PostSubject: Re: Red Dwarf... do you want some toast ?   Red Dwarf... do you want some toast ? EmptyFri Feb 02, 2007 9:39 pm

Red Dwarf rocks! I keep hoping the rumoured movie will finally become a reality, because the show is FANTASTIC!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://home.pacbell.net/measkren/
Smeghead
Smeghead

Number of posts : 18

PostSubject: Re: Red Dwarf... do you want some toast ?   Red Dwarf... do you want some toast ? EmptyFri Feb 02, 2007 10:28 pm

Its cool to meet some Red Dwarf fans... most of the people I know dont have a clue what Red Dwarf is. I never really had a problem with season 7 or 8, I loved all the seasons. I just hope that one day the Red Dwarf movie will be made and that one day the american pilot will be released on dvd. The american pilot is ok but its weird like watching from a alternate dimension.
Back to top Go down
J. Thomas Jeans
J. Thomas Jeans

Number of posts : 30

PostSubject: Re: Red Dwarf... do you want some toast ?   Red Dwarf... do you want some toast ? EmptyFri Feb 02, 2007 11:35 pm

I've only seen the one American pilot, with Hinton Battle as the Cat. I'd live to see the version with the female cat (a lady who was in Babalyon 5, I think). I doubt we'll ever see either of those though.

The film... well, they keep hitting road blocks with it. They did say on the series 8 box set that it was getting to be time to fish or cut and run. In the next two or three years, they will either make the film, do one more series, a special... or they might let it die peacefully... which would be awful, considering the cliffhanger nature of the series 8 finale.
Back to top Go down
Doctor Xombie
Doctor Xombie

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2007-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Red Dwarf... do you want some toast ?   Red Dwarf... do you want some toast ? EmptySun Feb 04, 2007 5:49 pm

I've seen Series 1-4 and random episodes after that.
I can't wait till I can get the DVDs for the rest.
The show is hilarious!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.DOCTORXOMBIE.com
amagon
amagon

Number of posts : 2763

PostSubject: Re: Red Dwarf... do you want some toast ?   Red Dwarf... do you want some toast ? EmptyMon Feb 05, 2007 4:34 pm

Love Red Dwarf! It's being shown on Georgia Public Broadcasting on Saturday nights (then Blackadder).

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Calixar
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Red Dwarf... do you want some toast ?   Red Dwarf... do you want some toast ? EmptyTue Feb 06, 2007 5:21 pm

One of the few shows I own in entirety on DVD. I'd drive to Seattle to see the movie if they made it and it wasn't general release.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikaljohnson.com
cinnur
cinnur

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2007-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Red Dwarf... do you want some toast ?   Red Dwarf... do you want some toast ? EmptyThu Mar 01, 2007 12:05 pm

J. Thomas Jeans wrote:

Am I the only person who doesn't think series 7 or 8 are as bad as the majority do? I rather liked both series, even if they weren't quite as funny as what had come before.

I thought 7 was excellent, 8 was a disappointment. Bring the crew back killed things for me.
Back to top Go down
cinnur
cinnur

PostSubject: Re: Red Dwarf... do you want some toast ?   Red Dwarf... do you want some toast ? EmptyThu Mar 01, 2007 12:16 pm

J. Thomas Jeans wrote:
I've only seen the one American pilot, with Hinton Battle as the Cat. I'd live to see the version with the female cat (a lady who was in Babalyon 5, I think). I doubt we'll ever see either of those though.

I have both pilot attempts of an American version on VHS. And judging by these, it is good it did not get past that point.

It was actually Terry Farrell
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000395/
of DS9 fame who played the cat in one of those attempts.

Jane Leeves was Holly in both attempts.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005137/

I cannot recall the actor who played Lister in both attempts, though he is one of those actors who shows up in a lot of places. See cast pic link below of one of those attempts.

This guy played Rimmer in one of the pilots http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001177/

Here is a cast pic o one of the cast
http://www.thereddwarfzone.co.uk/usa.htm

This link will give you much more info then I realized, plus you can download one of the pilots.
Back to top Go down
Calixar
Calixar

PostSubject: Re: Red Dwarf... do you want some toast ?   Red Dwarf... do you want some toast ? EmptyThu Mar 01, 2007 6:11 pm

cinnur wrote:
I have both pilot attempts of an American version on VHS.

I really wish these had been on the special features of the DVDs. I would love to see them.
Back to top Go down
cinnur
cinnur

PostSubject: Re: Red Dwarf... do you want some toast ?   Red Dwarf... do you want some toast ? EmptyThu Mar 01, 2007 10:11 pm

Calixar wrote:
cinnur wrote:
I have both pilot attempts of an American version on VHS.

I really wish these had been on the special features of the DVDs. I would love to see them.

I think rights issues prevented them from being included.
Back to top Go down
Calixar
Calixar

PostSubject: Re: Red Dwarf... do you want some toast ?   Red Dwarf... do you want some toast ? EmptyFri Mar 02, 2007 11:15 am

Well, I've... uh... seen them now. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
cinnur
cinnur

PostSubject: Re: Red Dwarf... do you want some toast ?   Red Dwarf... do you want some toast ? EmptyFri Mar 02, 2007 11:28 am

Calixar wrote:

And your impression?
Back to top Go down
Calixar
Calixar

PostSubject: Re: Red Dwarf... do you want some toast ?   Red Dwarf... do you want some toast ? EmptyFri Mar 02, 2007 3:47 pm

cinnur wrote:
Calixar wrote:

And your impression?

I'm glad the entire UK series is available in the US. It could have worked, but they were doing too much direct copying of the script. If you're going to do a remake, totally rewrite the thing.

Anyway, it makes me want the fabled Movie even more. I doubt they'll ever do it at this point.
Back to top Go down
cinnur
cinnur

PostSubject: Re: Red Dwarf... do you want some toast ?   Red Dwarf... do you want some toast ? EmptyFri Mar 02, 2007 4:07 pm

Calixar wrote:

Anyway, it makes me want the fabled Movie even more. I doubt they'll ever do it at this point.

I tend to agree on the movie, it has been to long at this point to think otherwise, though it would be nice to see.

At this point if they want to do more they should just try for another series.
Back to top Go down
Doctor Xombie
Doctor Xombie

Number of posts : 63

PostSubject: Re: Red Dwarf... do you want some toast ?   Red Dwarf... do you want some toast ? EmptySat Apr 05, 2008 11:09 pm

With Doctor Who doing so good and other scifi shows in the works, I don't see why they couldn't get financing for a movie. I'm sure the cast is up for it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.DOCTORXOMBIE.com

Red Dwarf... do you want some toast ?
Page 1 of 1