Whovian
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Whovian

Number of posts : 296
Registration date : 2009-07-30

Bring the Silurians Back Empty
PostSubject: Bring the Silurians Back   Bring the Silurians Back EmptyWed Oct 07, 2009 12:17 am

I think the Silurians are cool. I wish I had some action figures. I would buy multiples. I want a Silurian Triad, you know what I mean?

I like both the old and new ones. They weren't really bad guys...just misunderstood. And the way the newer Silurians look, with a slight smirk on their faces...they look downright friendly.

The Silurians with Pertwee was a really good story. I like how they used their 3rd eye a lot...and the sound that it made. It's amazing how the episodes still look good today. Watch them again, you will like them.

Warriors of the Deep made the Silurians cuddly. Icthar, Scibus, and Tarpok didn't seem very threatening, and their voices were a lot neater to listen to than the Pertwee Silurians. I have the Warriors of the Deep soundtrack and I listen to it to hear their cool-sounding voices. That, and the Janet Fielding interview at the end, but that's another story...

I just wish they would bring them back in the new series. That would be awesome. And I hope they're just as "noble" as the Pertwee and Davison doctors pointed out. I want to see them try to extend the hand of friendship again. For some reason that's just a neat idea to me. Bad guys who aren't really bad guys, just misunderstood, and who are forced into violence because of the ape humans. They have to bring the Silurians back!
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Bring the Silurians Back   Bring the Silurians Back EmptyWed Oct 07, 2009 1:02 am

I loved the Pertwee Silurians - and I'm not afraid to admit that, when I was 12 or so when I first saw The Silurians, they scared the bejeezus out of me. Especially the cliffhanger when they just burn through the wall, barge in and start frying the Doctor's brain with their third eyes. It was so shocking that even the kooky kazoo music couldn't take the edge off of it. Just a classic "Holy @#$%!" moment. I also loved the Pertwee-era voices - very distorted, hard to understand, as if they were trying to get vocal chords and mouths around a language that they were never meant to speak.

I love season 7 as a whole. I know people gush about Tom Baker's first year being the best season the classic show ever had (wha...Revenge of the Cybermen? really!?), but for me, season 7 is the high water mark for the entire 70s. It was sophisticated, adult storytelling, just cutting-edge stuff - it was like the X-Files before either the X-Files itself or Kolchak came along. I could've done with another season or two with Liz Shaw.
Back to top Go down
mysterylad
mysterylad

Number of posts : 1660
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Bring the Silurians Back   Bring the Silurians Back EmptyWed Oct 07, 2009 7:44 am

The Silurians are great DW monsters...I would love to see them reintroduced on the modern show.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cmichaelhall.com
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Bring the Silurians Back   Bring the Silurians Back EmptyWed Oct 07, 2009 9:21 am

there was rumors of them returning, as well as the Zygons, but who knows anymore...
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Bring the Silurians Back   Bring the Silurians Back EmptyWed Oct 07, 2009 10:41 am

As they said in the episode, "We were here before man!"
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7003
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Bring the Silurians Back   Bring the Silurians Back EmptyWed Oct 07, 2009 11:58 am

Great aliens that are loooong overdue for a return. Some of my best friends are Silurians...
Back to top Go down
greenk9
greenk9

Number of posts : 1313
Registration date : 2007-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Bring the Silurians Back   Bring the Silurians Back EmptyWed Oct 07, 2009 9:50 pm

I always liked the sea devil design more than the silurian...too rubber suited for me...but I loved the story the Silurians.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Bring the Silurians Back   Bring the Silurians Back EmptyWed Oct 07, 2009 10:35 pm

greenk9 wrote:
I always liked the sea devil design more than the silurian...too rubber suited for me...but I loved the story the Silurians.

Which is one of the reason I would love to see a modern Silurian. Wonder how hard it would be to convert a Sea Devil to a Silurian figure?
Back to top Go down
Gunny
Gunny

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2010-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Bring the Silurians Back   Bring the Silurians Back EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 9:57 am

I agree the Silurians and the Sea Devils hopefully return. The Pertwee stories with them were tremendous. I would also enjoy a story featuring the Ice Warriors.
Back to top Go down
mysterylad
mysterylad

PostSubject: Re: Bring the Silurians Back   Bring the Silurians Back EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 3:28 pm

Silurians, Sea Devils, and Draconians: all cool "monsters" from the Pertwee Era that the new series MUST update! They were cool because, while cast as the Doctor's adversaries, they were never "evil." That dichotomy would play very well on the new series, I think.
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7003
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Bring the Silurians Back   Bring the Silurians Back EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 5:22 pm

Earl Green wrote:
I love season 7 as a whole. I know people gush about Tom Baker's first year being the best season the classic show ever had (wha...Revenge of the Cybermen? really!?), but for me, season 7 is the high water mark for the entire 70s. It was sophisticated, adult storytelling, just cutting-edge stuff - it was like the X-Files before either the X-Files itself or Kolchak came along. I could've done with another season or two with Liz Shaw.

Amen, brother!
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Bring the Silurians Back   Bring the Silurians Back EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 6:56 pm

SeaDevil wrote:
Earl Green wrote:

Amen, brother!

Agreed! (You can tell who the Pertwee fans are!)
<<<<

I also just finished reading "Scales of Injustice". Loved it and how the Silurian's and Sea Devil's world was expanded.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Bring the Silurians Back   Bring the Silurians Back EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 7:11 pm

You read the comic strip from the DWM special about Sarah Jane a few years back? She was with her aunt Lavinia in Egypt, it was a very good one.
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2105
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Bring the Silurians Back   Bring the Silurians Back EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 10:13 pm

forget that, just bring sil back! you heard me. i also want a sil figure, on top of his water tank, and a little accessorie of that gross green marshmellow food he ate. wait, i want a plush sil, and when you squeeze him, he goes "llllllleeeellllellelelele"(don't know how to give justice to the noises he made)
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Bring the Silurians Back   Bring the Silurians Back EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 9:45 am

Hoosier Whovian wrote:
You read the comic strip from the DWM special about Sarah Jane a few years back? She was with her aunt Lavinia in Egypt, it was a very good one.

Which issue was it? Have to look that one up.

Sil would be cool too! I always thought the Moxx was a tribute to Sil
Back to top Go down
Calixar
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Bring the Silurians Back   Bring the Silurians Back EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 11:43 am

Ronpur wrote:
I also just finished reading "Scales of Injustice". Loved it and how the Silurian's and Sea Devil's world was expanded.

I just read that recently, as well. I had a little trouble following the bits with the kid, but enjoyed it overall.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikaljohnson.com
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Bring the Silurians Back   Bring the Silurians Back EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 2:13 pm

Ronpur wrote:
Hoosier Whovian wrote:

It was the 1992 Holiday Special. The strip was called City of Devils. I thought I saved the strip from it but not sure.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Bring the Silurians Back   Bring the Silurians Back EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 3:23 pm

Hoosier Whovian wrote:
Ronpur wrote:
Hoosier Whovian wrote:

It was the 1992 Holiday Special. The strip was called City of Devils. I thought I saved the strip from it but not sure.

I will have a look and see if I can find it.
Back to top Go down
timewarrior
timewarrior

Number of posts : 4016
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Bring the Silurians Back   Bring the Silurians Back EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 1:39 pm

with a good enough story it could work. . .
Back to top Go down
Clavius
Clavius

Number of posts : 578
Registration date : 2007-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Bring the Silurians Back   Bring the Silurians Back EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 3:45 pm

SeaDevil wrote:
Great aliens that are loooong overdue for a return. Some of my best friends are Silurians...

This is a screenshot from the Season 5 (or 1 depending on who you ask) preview...

Bring the Silurians Back Screenshot

These creatures, though very scaly, look nothing like either a Sea Devil or a Silurian, but the end of that weapon looks mighty familiar to me.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Bring the Silurians Back   Bring the Silurians Back EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 9:35 am

And neither of these reptiles looks like each other as well. Its quite possible, since the Sea Devils and Silurians look different, there are other version of the Earth Reptiles around. This was part of the story in the Scales of Injustice book, Silurian/Sea Devil cross breed whose genetics were flawed because of the cross breading.
Not only do the guns remind me of the Sea Devils, look at the netting on his arm. I think those fins on the side of the head are definately Sea Devilish!
Back to top Go down
jonwes
jonwes

Number of posts : 4627
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Bring the Silurians Back   Bring the Silurians Back EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 11:32 am

Apparently the one on the left is wearing a mask.
Back to top Go down
rdks
rdks

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Bring the Silurians Back   Bring the Silurians Back EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 11:56 am

How very un-original and generic looking those things are. Very disappointed if those are Silurians. Cheap 70's rubber masks looked better than that.
Back to top Go down
mysterylad
mysterylad

PostSubject: Re: Bring the Silurians Back   Bring the Silurians Back EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 4:21 pm

rdks wrote:
How very un-original and generic looking those things are. Very disappointed if those are Silurians. Cheap 70's rubber masks looked better than that.

I agree that the one on the right is fairly generic (seems to have fallen into that old Star Trek axiom about not letting the aliens be too alien), but the one on the left has that big reptilian mouth, which is a design element I like.
Back to top Go down
Calixar
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Bring the Silurians Back   Bring the Silurians Back EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 11:57 am

mysterylad wrote:
rdks wrote:

I agree that the one on the right is fairly generic (seems to have fallen into that old Star Trek axiom about not letting the aliens be too alien), but the one on the left has that big reptilian mouth, which is a design element I like.

Bring the Silurians Back Startrek-gorn1
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikaljohnson.com

Bring the Silurians Back
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next