Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeSearchRegisterLog inThe Who North America Online StoreLatest images

12 Regeneration Discussion (Split from outfit thread)

Go down 
+4
gregtdj
hitman hart
CJSchmidt
mysterylad
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
gregtdj
gregtdj

Number of posts : 398
Registration date : 2007-06-19

12 Regeneration Discussion (Split from outfit thread) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 12 Regeneration Discussion (Split from outfit thread)   12 Regeneration Discussion (Split from outfit thread) - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 8:48 pm

bret_owen99 wrote:
and it winded down to the short lived enterprise(the only thing worse than voyager).

OUCH!! Why you gotta be a Bakula hater?! Porthos, attack!! And for that matter Jolene Blalock...Jolene Blalock!!! Of course I never saw past the first season so, there you go.

Now then, let's take the category "Shows lasting more than 7 years" and "Shows lasting more than 7 years with a spin off".

Well let's look at the current grand daddy of them all, Law and Order. Way more than 7, try 20th season starting soon. How is this possible? Well let's look at their formula. On going premise of police finding a crime and then lawyers prosecuting the crime. That doesn't sound like it could keep any show alive. So how do you last that long? Ever changing cast. They have rotated out different characters over the years, with one or two remaining as long running staples of the show, but changing it up a little along the way. Sounds a lot like another show idea for staying fresh, hmmm?

So it can be done, but will we ever see it done? Ahhh for our own tardis and the chance to know the answer. But, that would actually be less enjoyable than sitting back and seeing it play out. We can only hope that the difference of this being on British television allows us to see whether we answer the 12th regen question. Lord knows if this was an American tv show we certainly wouldn't have made it past the 7th without some kind of revival movie attempt that stirred no interest and left it as a dead series.
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2105
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: 12 Regeneration Discussion (Split from outfit thread)   12 Regeneration Discussion (Split from outfit thread) - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 1:33 am

yeah, if it was an american tv show, they would have tried to make a major motion picture in the middle of the show(south park, x-files, power rangers). at least when doctor who did it, it wasn't in cannon with the tv series(and let's face it, the peter cushing movies are good for a laugh or two).

and thanks for mentioning law and order, that is a very good example of a show lasting waaaaaaaaaaay longer than any of the critics thought it would. and they've had the same problems as doctor who, actors quitting, or dying, and them having to replace them in the show or write them out.

p.s. didn't jolene blalock bad mouth that show she was on? i thought i heard about several interviews she did. i could be wrong.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: 12 Regeneration Discussion (Split from outfit thread)   12 Regeneration Discussion (Split from outfit thread) - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 3:34 am

bret_owen99 wrote:
yeah, if it was an american tv show, they would have tried to make a major motion picture in the middle of the show(south park, x-files, power rangers). at least when doctor who did it, it wasn't in cannon with the tv series

Actually, it was the same with Power Rangers when they made the first movie. It wasn't part of the show's canon, either. The second PR movie is, though.

Quote :
p.s. didn't jolene blalock bad mouth that show she was on? i thought i heard about several interviews she did. i could be wrong.

No, you're right. She had no problem publicly criticizing the show.
Back to top Go down
memnoch
memnoch

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2007-06-03

PostSubject: Re: 12 Regeneration Discussion (Split from outfit thread)   12 Regeneration Discussion (Split from outfit thread) - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 1:54 am

CJSchmidt wrote:
I always liked the idea that Time Lords were imbued with enough energy to fuel 12 regenerations. If the Time Lords choose to, they could give certain members a "fill up" to extend their regeneration batteries with up to 12 more cycles. They could live forever, but their society has decided they only get one tank of gas.

Yeah, I was always sort of under the impression that the 12 regenerations thing was something enforced by the Time Lords, seeing that the Master had been offered a new set. They could easily just say, "Since the Time Lords are gone, that control / enforcement no longer exists."

I dunno if anyone would think that cheap or cheesy, but as far as I'm concerned, it makes sense and would be an easy way to keep the show going when the time comes.
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2105
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: 12 Regeneration Discussion (Split from outfit thread)   12 Regeneration Discussion (Split from outfit thread) - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 4:27 pm

i just think they should wait before they hit 12/13, before explaining things, or hitting the reboot button. i don't think mr. matt smith is going to be #1 incarnate. just my opinion.
Back to top Go down

12 Regeneration Discussion (Split from outfit thread)
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2