Str Trek Remastered DVDs

Go down 
AuthorMessage
cinnur
cinnur

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2007-03-01

Str Trek Remastered DVDs Empty
PostSubject: Str Trek Remastered DVDs   Str Trek Remastered DVDs EmptySun Sep 07, 2008 6:39 pm

Anyone here pick up either of the two remastered DVD box sets of Star Trek?

I was just wondering if anyone would comment on the quality and the replaced CGI special effects?
I had seen a very few of the remastered episodes on tv before my patience for commercials and cuts quickly grew weary for me.

I was thinking of picking up the box set for season two, but will skip season one since I do not own an HD DVD player, and don't plan to buy one.
Back to top Go down
cinnur
cinnur

PostSubject: Re: Str Trek Remastered DVDs   Str Trek Remastered DVDs EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 9:20 pm

I guess no one picked any of them up.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Str Trek Remastered DVDs   Str Trek Remastered DVDs EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 9:25 pm

I have been burned with the A&E DVD releases for the Avengers Mrs Peel and Space 1999 sets by them being released in slim cases and for less with bonuses later on. So I generally will wait. All the Trek DVD sets ended up at Wal*Mart for only $50.00 a season so I will wait. I have seen the episodes broadcast and they look great.
Back to top Go down
cinnur
cinnur

PostSubject: Re: Str Trek Remastered DVDs   Str Trek Remastered DVDs EmptyFri Sep 26, 2008 7:29 am

I also have had the Space 1999 series experience. Unfortunately this sort of thing happens all to often from, it seems, all the companies.

Not only have Space 1999 gone slim, but in another package there is a remastered version, region two last I checked, and it sure looks so much better than the package I, and it sounds like you have.

For the most part I have removed myself from the mind set of replacing for the latest incarnation if a package is re-released. Just tired of the treadmill.

There is of course that extremely rare occurrence , but it does stay rare. A greatly improved Space 1999 visual could be that rare occasion, but not for the slim.

As to Star Trek, once I purchase a DVD package, that will be it for me. That is one of the reasons why I have not bought them yet. Plus they have been much over priced.

Star Wars is a great example to wait. I am interested in the original three, not all the recent stuff. Anyway I figure George Lucas has to be dead about ten years before the final version has any chance of seeing the light of day, and the argument of who shot first will be settled!
But for me it was Han!
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Str Trek Remastered DVDs   Str Trek Remastered DVDs EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 7:10 am

I picked up the second season of Remastered Trek when amazon had it for only $40.00! As it was my fave, I had to have it.

I have watched through Doomsday Machine and have to say I am totally blown away by the new effects shots!

They do fit in with the old show just fine.
Back to top Go down
cinnur
cinnur

PostSubject: Re: Str Trek Remastered DVDs   Str Trek Remastered DVDs EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 11:50 am

I have since September picked up all three of the remastered seasons, and have watched the first two seasons as of this writing.
They have done impressive work with the new special effects, though even in this case you can see some shots being reused with slight modifications.

What caught my eye is when the Enterprise is orbiting a now stunningly CGI'ed planet, a red spec of light meant to be a planet or star can often be seen in the upper left quadrant of the screen. They obviously just slip in a new looking planet for a shot when needed.

New shots of the Enterprise from varied angles are very eye catching. The Doomsday Machine looks fantastic, as much as many more of the new effects. No real bummers that I can think of right now.
However CGI does often have a flat look that models do not.
The shuttle, just like the old series original effects, often seems out of scale.
I also noticed some image fuzziness in the later stories of the second season, Assignment: Earth comes to mind.
I do not recall this at all in the first season set.

I was not sure I would like the new CGI effects, but the forces behind their creation do show restraint, so as not to suffer the Lucas effect.

It would really be fantastic to see the old Doctor Who series restored with this type of new CGI work all the time.
Back to top Go down

Str Trek Remastered DVDs
Page 1 of 1