7 posters
AuthorMessage
DoctorOlly
DoctorOlly

Number of posts : 742
Registration date : 2007-09-01

Terrible News! Empty
PostSubject: Terrible News!   Terrible News! EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 5:17 am

I was reading the Daily Mirror this morning and checked in the TV column, where there's news about TV shows, and I was hoping to find something about Doctor Who, I did, unfortunately:

Who's next for Tardis?

IT'LL be dark, there will be daleks and finding the next timelord is proving as hard as casting a new 007...

Yes, series five of Doctor Who doesn't reach our screens until 2010, but the build-up is starting and new boss Steven Moffat has already written the first episode.

Asked if it would be as dark as his previous episodes, such as Blink, he says "I like Doctor Who being scary. Other kids' shows are just funny. But Doctor Who... it's all about fear, death and screaming children."

The new series will also feature a new Doctor - as David Tennant will be stepping down from his galatic role after the three specials next year. And Moffat says when it comes to replacing Tennant, the pressure is as big as finding "a new James Bond."

Some familiar characters, however, will definitetly be staying. "The daleks will always come back." he says. And the writer also revealed he's been getting plot tips from a young fan.

"A little girl came up to me and said: 'What if there was a monster who could disguise himself as the Tardis? The Doctor wouldn't know which one to go into.' I told her it was a good idea." That's episode two in the bag.

Right, I'm gonna let this Emoticon do the reaction for me: affraid
Back to top Go down
forbidden_moose

Number of posts : 370
Registration date : 2007-08-10

Terrible News! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terrible News!   Terrible News! EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 7:51 am

I am glaad Tennant is leaving, I was getting tired of him, now he's typecast worst than tom baker.
Back to top Go down
CrochetOwl

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2008-01-08

Terrible News! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terrible News!   Terrible News! EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 8:20 am

Until there is official word from the BBC themselves, I don't put stock into anything the Daily Mirror or The Sun have to say. The only that is certain is that DT has made a decision but that decision has not been made known to the general public.
Back to top Go down
mumbojumbo21
mumbojumbo21

Number of posts : 381
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Terrible News! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terrible News!   Terrible News! EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 9:47 am

forbidden_moose wrote:
I am glaad Tennant is leaving, I was getting tired of him, now he's typecast worst than tom baker.
Run-on sentence damaging my brain! Wink

I do agree. Tennant's hyper acting was getting worse and worse every series. If he is gone by the next series, then I'll be happy.
Back to top Go down
http://www.libriumarcana.com/phpBB2/
CJSchmidt
CJSchmidt

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2007-02-01

Terrible News! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terrible News!   Terrible News! EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 10:55 am

I really like Tennant, but I understand he can't play the Doctor forever. It wouldn't be good for him or for the show. I really hope Tennant sticks around for Moffat's first year, though. Between the semi-year off, a new head writer/show runner, this darker tone, AND a new Doctor... I'm afraid the public might not keep up.
Back to top Go down
greenk9
greenk9

Number of posts : 1313
Registration date : 2007-10-20

Terrible News! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terrible News!   Terrible News! EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 1:12 pm

I will be terribly sad when tennant leaves because I have not in the least grown tired of him. He is such an intelligent and versitile actor... he can make a bad line or story engaging- he goes all out and gives such enthusasim to the role. As for baker some feel he was in it too long...I disagree...jnt pulled the reigns too tight and he had no freedom- whereas in 78 he had a little too much free reign...horns of nimon anyone? It is a delicate balancing act that the producer must do to keep the show fresh. I agree with cjs that I would like to see at least a year with moffat then I think it would be a right time to go on a high note. And as for the sun and the mirror- read a few articles then you will know that those papers are up there with the national enq.
Back to top Go down
CJSchmidt
CJSchmidt

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2007-02-01

Terrible News! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terrible News!   Terrible News! EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 4:31 pm

I'm with you, green. Tennant could keep the role for another 10 years and I'd keep watching. He probably isn't in to much danger of being typecast either, at least in Hollywood. The real danger would be that he stays around so long that fans won't accept a different Doctor.

From a story point of view, I really don't see them giving us the near regeneration (and proving that he wants to stick around) just to do it again 4 episodes later for real.

Also, Tennant deserves a truly epic conclusion to his run as the Doctor, and I don't see an hour long Christmas special being the place to do that.

I kinda interpreted the Doctor's remarks in Journey's End as Tennant reassuring the fans that he wasn't going anywhere for a while. "I didn't want to, why would I?"

I guess we'll find out, though...
Back to top Go down
Vicki
Vicki

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2008-07-03

Terrible News! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terrible News!   Terrible News! EmptyTue Aug 26, 2008 9:58 am

I love David Tennant, both as the Doctor and in other roles, and I am absolutely not ready for him to move on, though I could certainly understand if he feels it's necessary for whatever reason to do so in his career, however, he's as close to my ideal Doctor as anyone's ever come, and I say this as a fan since Tom Baker's and Peter Davison's era. So, while I personally don't want him gone, I do wish him well, whatever he's decided...

Also, I hear this rumor is really just that...and a tabloid-y kind of rumor as well, and it really doesn't make sense to change Doctors all of a sudden, after the near regeneration storyline, just like you said, CJS -- he does deserve an epic conclusion, but I hope it's not for at least one more full season to come!
Back to top Go down
http://www.livejournal.com/users/fleurette
DoctorOlly
DoctorOlly

Number of posts : 742
Registration date : 2007-09-01

Terrible News! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terrible News!   Terrible News! EmptyWed Aug 27, 2008 4:20 am

I nearly had a heart attack watching the end of The Stolen Earth. So any bets on who the next Doctor might be?
Back to top Go down
greenk9
greenk9

Number of posts : 1313
Registration date : 2007-10-20

Terrible News! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terrible News!   Terrible News! EmptyWed Aug 27, 2008 9:07 pm

When he leaves probably late 2009 or 2010-
Here is my fantasy short list:
I know these are huge stars but hey- whatever
colin firth-
pierce brosnan
fella from robin hood that plays the villian...canna remember name
hugh jackman
john hannah
peter davidson- someone could do the trade off batton running if they got a younger male companion
david tennant of course...
Back to top Go down

Terrible News!
Page 1 of 1