Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
digby
digby

Number of posts : 600
Registration date : 2007-09-28

8th Doctor "Dark Eyes" accessory ideas Empty
PostSubject: 8th Doctor "Dark Eyes" accessory ideas   8th Doctor "Dark Eyes" accessory ideas EmptyThu Sep 19, 2019 12:07 am

First of all --- THANK YOU to Dave G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks to this gentleman I was able to get my paws on the great new Big Finish "Dark Eyes" 8th Doctor figure. A repainted 9th Doctor figure ... yes ... but still a really welcome and unexpected surprise addition to my McGann army.  

But you know, it's a shame he came with no accessories.

As we all know, the "official" Dark Eyes costume had a satchel and bronzey sonic screwdriver, as seen here:

8th Doctor "Dark Eyes" accessory ideas Mcgann11

For a few years I had been contemplating making a custom Dark Eyes 8, and had been collecting various bits and bob pieces I would need, including the accessories. The biggest problem was finding stuff in the same scale as the 5" line. First up was the bronze and wood steampunk sonic:
8th Doctor "Dark Eyes" accessory ideas Sonic_10

I had some ideas on how to mimic the screwdriver, such as using an 11th Doctor sonic and painting it brown. But then I stumbled across this nifty Lego sonic screwdriver on ebay:

8th Doctor "Dark Eyes" accessory ideas Img_9810

It's practically the same length as a regular Character Options sonic accessory, although slightly thicker. And I loved that the color was already a sort of off-gold shade ... not sure why they made them like that instead of grey plastic! But it seemed fortunate, because this way the color could mimic the steam-punk bronze AND I would not have to worry about paint rubbing off on the figure's hand from a modified re-painted screwdriver.  

Of course it wouldn't be an exact match, because the Dark Eyes sonic has 6 little "wings" or "flaps" or flange things around the tip, and every other one is either pointing up or down. At certain angles it almost creates this weird "X" appearance around the top.

8th Doctor "Dark Eyes" accessory ideas Mcgann12

Anyway, needless to say I wasn't gonna be able to replicate THAT ... I only had 4 flange things to work with on the Lego sonic! So I sort of compromised by cutting them off at like a 45-degree angle, so they instead make up sort of "triangle" shaped wing pieces around the top. I'm happy with it.
8th Doctor "Dark Eyes" accessory ideas Cuttin10

Then I repainted the tip to a light blue to better match the Dark Eyes prop.

8th Doctor "Dark Eyes" accessory ideas Img_9811

Again not perfect, but hey! It works for me! I think it looks great with the new figure. And again no danger of paint rubbing off on the hands:
8th Doctor "Dark Eyes" accessory ideas Img_9812

Then of course the #2 accessory for the "Dark Eyes" 8th Doctor is ... sigh ... the satchel. The carry-all. The man-bag. Thanks Paul.
Oh well ... least it's not a back-pack!

Of course the PERFECT satchel, the one that is guaranteed to be in the same scale as the Character Option 5" Doctor Who figures, is the green satchel that came with the Primeval Connor Temple figure:
8th Doctor "Dark Eyes" accessory ideas Connor10

But try -- I tell you -- TRY to find that on ebay!! It ain't happening!!
Once Doctor Who customizers the world round realized that the Primeval satchel was the perfect addition to a Dark Eyes McGann the little sacks just vanished from ebay overnight. It quickly became the holy grail accessory.

So I searched a lot online for another suitable toy satchel or mailbag or even a purse that would work in the 5" Character Option scale. Which I learned is technically considered the 1:12 or 1/12 scale.

And I didn't have a lot of luck ... there are a lot of cool-looking satchel accessories out there, but they were either too small (like for a 3-inch GI Joe range) or too large (lots of cool military bags for 12-inch figures .. but too massive for the 5" Dr Who figures.)

Then I stumbled upon this Green Goblin figure ... it's about 6 inches tall, kind of wacky-looking, but notice it comes with TWO satchels:

8th Doctor "Dark Eyes" accessory ideas Goblin11

One of the satchels is sort of larger and has a more bizarre "comic" detailed strap ... but the second one, the smaller one, is more plain and simple. But I've found that it actually works GREAT on the McGann figure:

8th Doctor "Dark Eyes" accessory ideas Goblin12

Here it is on my spokes-model Paul:

8th Doctor "Dark Eyes" accessory ideas Smalle10

Just for comparison's sake here is the larger Green Goblin bag on the figure ... it's just a tad too large and cumbersome. Which is a shame because the larger bag has a better looking flap I think, but the smaller of the two really fits better in terms of scale.

8th Doctor "Dark Eyes" accessory ideas Larger10

If you want to seek out this Green Goblin figure you can find them loose on ebay usually under $8 (unless of course this catches on and every customizer jumps on this bag too!)
Make sure they have the bags though, some are figure-only. I've seen them listed with key words like  "Marvel Legend" and "Unleashed" and "Spider-Man Classics", and the year is usually listed as "2008", but I honestly can't figure out what the official real name of this particular figure is. Sorry I can't steer you into a more exact search. I did find a picture of the packaging, but it doesn't offer many clues:

8th Doctor "Dark Eyes" accessory ideas Green_10

Anyway, I think Green Goblin figures at the 1:12 or 5-6 inch scale will be a pretty good source for McGann-bags because the bomb-satchel is sort of a key design element to the Green Goblin character. And I've noticed other Green Goblin figure lines with different sculpts and a single but good-looking bag, but I can't verify the scale will match Character Options. Love to hear from others if they investigate!  

As for now, I'm pretty darn happy with the compromise. I love this Dark Eyes 8th Doctor!

8th Doctor "Dark Eyes" accessory ideas Mcgann13

And again, I really want to thank Dave G for helping me get this figure. Why can't North America get these?!?!?!?
Bless you Dave G!

8th Doctor "Dark Eyes" accessory ideas Tardis10

--
8th Doctor "Dark Eyes" accessory ideas Tardis11

Last edited by digby on Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.toweroftechnobabble.com
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7003
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: 8th Doctor "Dark Eyes" accessory ideas   8th Doctor "Dark Eyes" accessory ideas EmptyThu Sep 19, 2019 12:27 am

That's REALLY COOL stuff there...

Great ideas.
Back to top Go down
digby
digby

PostSubject: Re: 8th Doctor "Dark Eyes" accessory ideas   8th Doctor "Dark Eyes" accessory ideas EmptyThu Sep 19, 2019 10:11 am

SeaDevil wrote:
That's REALLY COOL stuff there...

Great ideas.

Thank you very much!

I'd love to hear from others about their ideas for adding accessories to this guy!
Back to top Go down
TinDogRory
TinDogRory

Number of posts : 1462
Registration date : 2010-07-20

PostSubject: Re: 8th Doctor "Dark Eyes" accessory ideas   8th Doctor "Dark Eyes" accessory ideas EmptyThu Sep 19, 2019 5:49 pm

Ohhhhhh.... this seems easy enough. And I think I may have that lego sonic laying about.
Back to top Go down
http://aykfpod.com
digby
digby

PostSubject: Re: 8th Doctor "Dark Eyes" accessory ideas   8th Doctor "Dark Eyes" accessory ideas EmptyThu Sep 19, 2019 8:22 pm

TinDogRory wrote:
Ohhhhhh.... this seems easy enough. And I think I may have that lego sonic laying about.

Yeah, I fully embrace "easy"!
Which is why I've dragged my feet for YEARS on actually making a Dark Eyes custom.
Turns out all I had to do was wait.....
Back to top Go down
Blackarrow
Blackarrow

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2015-11-14

PostSubject: Re: 8th Doctor "Dark Eyes" accessory ideas   8th Doctor "Dark Eyes" accessory ideas EmptyFri Oct 11, 2019 3:39 pm

Just wanted to thank you digby, for sharing your ideas with us! Cool  I just picked up the Eighth Doctor & Dalek Set, and I managed to find the Lego sonic, the Green Goblin figure with satchels, and an optional satchel which may interest you:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DAM-PES004-1-12-POCKET-ELITE-SERIES-ARMY-25th-Infantry-Division-Shoulder-Bag/352787167008?epid=18034266044&hash=item5223c0f720:g:FusAAOSwFTBdee5w

Everything is in transit, and I'm looking forward to having a "Dark Eyes" 8th Doctor (with accessories) in my collection! cheers
Back to top Go down
digby
digby

PostSubject: Re: 8th Doctor "Dark Eyes" accessory ideas   8th Doctor "Dark Eyes" accessory ideas EmptyFri Oct 11, 2019 3:59 pm

Blackarrow wrote:
Just wanted to thank you digby, for sharing your ideas with us! Cool  I just picked up the Eighth Doctor & Dalek Set, and I managed to find the Lego sonic, the Green Goblin figure with satchels, and an optional satchel which may interest you:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DAM-PES004-1-12-POCKET-ELITE-SERIES-ARMY-25th-Infantry-Division-Shoulder-Bag/352787167008?epid=18034266044&hash=item5223c0f720:g:FusAAOSwFTBdee5w

Everything is in transit, and I'm looking forward to having a "Dark Eyes" 8th Doctor (with accessories) in my collection! cheers

Oh that's interesting! It should fit a 5-6 inch figure at 1:12 scale. It's definitely one I missed when I was doing my big-ol-ebay hunt for satchels a few months back. (Or maybe I did see it, but passed because it was fabric and not plastic? Can't remember....) Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how it looks on a figure!

And I'm really excited to hear how you think the Green Goblin satchel will look on your Dark Eyes. Post a photo if you can.

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention in my big long ramble ... the satchels are a little tricky to get off of the Green Goblin. I mean they will definitely come off, but you really have to twist the arms and his head gear around in un-natural ways. The figure is designed to have weird proportions, you'll see what I mean when you have it in hand.
I remember being afraid I'd accidentally break the strap on the smaller bag when I was trying to get it safely off of the figure. So just be patient, and if you're in trouble bend the arms more than is natural --- after all it's the bag you want, not the Goblin figure!

anyway, glad I could help!
Back to top Go down
Blackarrow
Blackarrow

PostSubject: Re: 8th Doctor "Dark Eyes" accessory ideas   8th Doctor "Dark Eyes" accessory ideas EmptySun Oct 20, 2019 2:28 pm

Well digby, you were right..the Eighth Doctor figure is way cooler when you add a couple of accessories to him:

8th Doctor "Dark Eyes" accessory ideas Img_0410

No, no Doctor...not those accessories! Shocked

8th Doctor "Dark Eyes" accessory ideas Img_0411

Yes, that's much better! Very Happy  Thanks again, digby! cheers
Back to top Go down
digby
digby

PostSubject: Re: 8th Doctor "Dark Eyes" accessory ideas   8th Doctor "Dark Eyes" accessory ideas EmptyMon Oct 21, 2019 11:41 am

Blackarrow wrote:
Well digby, you were right..the Eighth Doctor figure is way cooler when you add a couple of accessories to him:

8th Doctor "Dark Eyes" accessory ideas Img_0410

No, no Doctor...not those accessories! Shocked

8th Doctor "Dark Eyes" accessory ideas Img_0411

Yes, that's much better!  Very Happy   Thanks again, digby! cheers

Nice one! I need to find a little Vacuum cleaner for my Mcgann....

Glad my silly ideas worked for you too!
Back to top Go down
Blackarrow
Blackarrow

PostSubject: Re: 8th Doctor "Dark Eyes" accessory ideas   8th Doctor "Dark Eyes" accessory ideas EmptyMon Oct 28, 2019 6:48 pm

The optional satchel came in the mail today...I actually tried to find one in brown leather, but no luck:

8th Doctor "Dark Eyes" accessory ideas Img_0416

The Velcro lined flap opens to reveal two functional pockets!  Cool

8th Doctor "Dark Eyes" accessory ideas Img_0415

And you can actually close the flap with the sonic screwdriver in the pocket, good deal!  Very Happy

8th Doctor "Dark Eyes" accessory ideas Img_0418
Back to top Go down
digby
digby

PostSubject: Re: 8th Doctor "Dark Eyes" accessory ideas   8th Doctor "Dark Eyes" accessory ideas EmptyMon Oct 28, 2019 7:02 pm

Blackarrow wrote:
The optional satchel came in the mail today...I actually tried to find one in brown leather, but no luck:

The Velcro lined flap opens to reveal two functional pockets!  Cool

8th Doctor "Dark Eyes" accessory ideas Img_0415

And you can actually close the flap with the sonic screwdriver in the pocket, good deal!  Very Happy

That's amazing! A place to put your sonic!!!

I think only the Judoon Troopers had an option to store accessories, as I recall. That's pretty sweet!

How, now that you have it in hand, how do you feel about it being made from cloth? Does it seem kind of foreign to the "feel" and "look" of the plastic figure? Do you think the plastic satchel seems better with a plastic figure?

Back to top Go down
Blackarrow
Blackarrow

PostSubject: Re: 8th Doctor "Dark Eyes" accessory ideas   8th Doctor "Dark Eyes" accessory ideas EmptyThu Nov 07, 2019 10:08 pm

digby wrote:

How, now that you have it in hand, how do you feel about it being made from cloth? Does it seem kind of foreign to the "feel" and "look" of the plastic figure? Do you think the plastic satchel seems better with a plastic figure?

Well, given that this figure had no accessories to start with, I think anything we add is a nice upgrade. As you already know, I do like to add accessories to my figures whenever possible...cloth, plastic or metal..it's all good!
Back to top Go down

8th Doctor "Dark Eyes" accessory ideas
Page 1 of 1