16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Bob1963
Bob1963

Number of posts : 1276
Registration date : 2012-01-06

Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 22, 2018 11:03 pm

That would be a nice way of introducing new fans to the showing by giving away any left over R1 DVDs, I cant remember all the extras on The Ark in Space but I am assuming it had the omnibus version on it as an extra ?
Back to top Go down
Whooz
Whooz

Number of posts : 415
Registration date : 2017-04-24

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 22, 2018 11:09 pm

Bob1963 wrote:
That would be a nice way of introducing new fans to the showing by giving away any left over R1 DVDs,  I cant remember all the extras on The Ark in Space but I am assuming it had the omnibus version on it as an extra ?

yes, the special edition release had the omnibus as one of the extras, plus a new documentary.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 22, 2018 11:12 pm

I have some employees that like Doctor Who, so I may give mine to them, for rewards for doing a great job or something! LOL
Back to top Go down
Bob1963
Bob1963

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 22, 2018 11:18 pm

A great way to keep the classic series sprit alive and well. Sharing is caring. Who knows one day they might even get the idea to release a complete set of omnibus story's on DVD. I must admit I knew a great many fans who discovered the series threw the movie versions of the series.

I did discover the show in 1975 in episodic format but by 1976 and 1977 KCET 28 in Los Angeles did air episodic version of at least The Daemons, The Curse of Peladon and The Mutants which I remember watching on Saturday afternoons. Long before the Tom Baker episode's were offered
Back to top Go down
Rogue
Rogue

Number of posts : 985
Registration date : 2007-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 28, 2018 11:18 pm

amckinney wrote:
Rogue wrote:
And if they were really concerned about preorders, they should have run with the season specific logo instead of foisting the 2018 one onto this set Wink

Unfortunately, that wasn't their choice to make. The new head of "branding" has decreed that all Doctor Who products heneforth must carry the "current" series logo. They intend Doctor Who to now be a single unified brand. No more splitting up "past Doctors" from "current Doctor."

Too bad about that. I'm sure in 10 years no one will care about the current new logo. I can't say that I've liked any of the 2005+ logo designs.

I can always make my own slipcase for this set. Maybe a retro VHS style one, kind of like the Stranger Things Blu-ray set exclusive to a certain big box store.
Back to top Go down
Winter
Winter

Number of posts : 554
Registration date : 2016-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 19, 2018 11:32 pm

Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 4 Screen15
Alright, so anyway I spot this on Wikipedia and it gets me thinking... I purchased the Blu-ray of the 8th Doctor and It looks amazing at 525 line NTSC so wouldn't 625 line pal look even better? Thats what the 3rd and 4th doctor were filmed in. The 525 line is 30 fps while the 625 line is 25fps so a little different but couldn't you pull a vidfire and create more fps to bring out more detail or am I misunderstanding? ( I know 70's who was rerecorded on tape but wasn't the Doctor who movie also on tape?)
Back to top Go down
Winter
Winter

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 19, 2018 11:46 pm

Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 4 Img_2016
Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 4 Img_2017
Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 4 Img_2018
Back to top Go down
Winter
Winter

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 4 EmptyTue May 01, 2018 9:23 pm

June 11th Genesis of the Daleks 90 min movie version in U.S. theatres for one night only, go through Fathom events for tickets
Back to top Go down
Bob1963
Bob1963

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 4 EmptyTue May 01, 2018 10:02 pm

The TV move was shot on film but edited on NTSC video tape. The BBC cant do a true Blue Ray of the film cause they would need to re edit all the film bits and such (which are held by Universal or who ever made the move assuming the bits still exist at all). Hence they up converted the copy they had to Blue Ray.

I have the original and re mastered standard PAL DVD release (but have not yet watched the re mastered one)
Back to top Go down
Winter
Winter

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 4 EmptyWed May 02, 2018 10:20 pm

I'm also hearing that the package for the season set might be a standard Blu-ray case...then I see this...Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 4 Screen16 truly hoping this rumor to be spot on and this thumbnail image a possibility for packaging and not just a slick advertisement (image lifted from,"Fathom Events" website.)
Back to top Go down
Winter
Winter

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 4 EmptyWed May 02, 2018 11:14 pm

I know of 6 Distributors listing this as available for release on June 19th (one is listed June 18th) official UPC is 883929620111. Prices vary considerably, art and packaging listed as subject to change...digibook as well as classic Blu-ray case images exist and artwork looks pretty solid and doesn't appear as though it will be much different (Although that's my own pure baseless speculation) but the Steelbooks, Shada, TV movie, and enemy of the world S.E. all stayed nearly identical save for the removal of the wrong season Master image and tweeks on Troughton cvr.
Back to top Go down
Bob1963
Bob1963

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 4 EmptyThu May 03, 2018 12:36 am

After having consulted with 2 people involved with the Restoration that I have known since 1999 I did order the UK version.

The UK price had come down over $20 US at the time I placed my pre order so we will see.
Back to top Go down
Winter
Winter

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 4 EmptyThu May 03, 2018 5:41 pm

Bob1963 wrote:
After having consulted with 2 people involved with the Restoration that I have known since 1999 I did order the UK version.

The UK price had come down over $20 US at the time I placed my pre  order so we will see.
Would either of your two restoration acquaintances have any foreknowledge of final packaging? I'm hoping for classic Elite 6 disc Blu-ray case without eco cutouts. Digi book is acceptable but to be honest I will take the book to a printer and resize and print out a standard cover for a Blu-ray case. I've done that to all of my Capaldi releases. Luckily Doctors 9-11 came in classic cases when I bought that box collection:)
Back to top Go down
Bob1963
Bob1963

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 4 EmptyThu May 03, 2018 6:54 pm

NO we did not talk about packaging, that is done by BBC Worldwide, they simply do the film, video and sound restoration for the episodes, there are trying to add a few extras that peaked my interest that were not on the original DVD releases.

And for those who are curious I believe its continuity for "Robot" among others but I cant be sure. I do know they were looking for improved audio on some of the episodes.
Back to top Go down
Winter
Winter

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 4 EmptyThu May 10, 2018 5:32 pm

Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 4 Screen16 went to A Doctor who site that a guy going by the handle, "Gordon" had stated he found a distributor with this pic of the packaging as well as another bloke commenting that the U.S. version will be in a classic 6 disc Blu-ray case. I'm hopeful that this is the case... Either or I'm tickled to death to have it in my collection.
Back to top Go down
squishy
squishy

Number of posts : 2485
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 4 EmptyThu May 10, 2018 6:36 pm

Only about 35 days until we know for certain what the Region A packaging will be.
Back to top Go down
Bob1963
Bob1963

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 4 EmptyFri May 11, 2018 6:05 pm

I privately hoping it will be 5 different blue ray cases wrapped in a paper casing so they can go on the shelf in proper order. I have the Region 2 (Netherlands) Blake's 7 complete series set and it looks awful even on the shelf due to its sheer size
Back to top Go down
Winter
Winter

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 4 EmptySun May 13, 2018 8:59 am

Bob1963 wrote:
I privately hoping it will be 5 different blue ray cases wrapped in a paper casing so they can go on the shelf in proper order.  I have the Region 2 (Netherlands) Blake's 7 complete series set and it looks awful even on the shelf due to its sheer size
hey@Bob1963, hows it going:) the design you speak of, is there a set like that you can direct me to so I can get a visual of it? Are you talking about like Stargate Atlantis where they had those 1mm mini disc cases that slid into a 5 sided paperboard box with images on the outside or something different?
Back to top Go down
Bob1963
Bob1963

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 4 EmptySun May 13, 2018 7:53 pm

If your talking about the Reion 2 Netherlands complete series of Blakes 7 it is a 17 DVD set in one BIG clam shell case, I have not opened it yet but its actually bigger than the original Stargate Sg-1 Complete season DVD sets, I bought them in 2004 and they take up so much space on the shelf.

its funny I was in the mall with the wife and I popped into FYI and they had complete SG-1 sets and are 75% smaller than the ones from 14 years ago, also I wont be buying it again for small packaging
Back to top Go down
Winter
Winter

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 4 EmptyMon May 14, 2018 1:10 pm

@Bob1963, I mean like what kind of packaging did you want to see the 4th doctor set in. I have a visualization of the Atlantis (SG) package by your description but was making sure you were referring to the design by requesting a visual comparison for me to google out of curiosity...
Back to top Go down
Bob1963
Bob1963

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 4 EmptyMon May 14, 2018 3:48 pm

Sorry for the confusion I am "hoping" for 5 slim line plastic Blue Ray cases with individual covers that fit inside the outer BD case. This way we have a full season set but can displayed on a shelf in individual cases if desired.

No I have no idea at all what the R2 packaging will look like. I am hoping that if they do individual cases then they can have a reversible label sort of like Big Finish does and have the proper logo on the inside
Back to top Go down
amckinney
amckinney

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2010-11-19

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 4 EmptyTue May 15, 2018 10:07 am

Bob1963 wrote:
Sorry for the confusion I am "hoping" for 5 slim line plastic Blue Ray cases with individual covers that fit inside the outer BD case.  This way we have a full season set but can displayed on a shelf in individual cases if desired.

No I have no idea at all what the R2 packaging will look like.  I am hoping that if they do individual cases then they can have a reversible label sort of like Big Finish does and have the proper logo on the inside

I'm afraid you're probably setting yourself up for disappointment.

Fairly certain the UK release is a cardboard DigiPak/DigiBook. If the US release is any different, it'll likely be a single "fat" Amaray case. Don't think you'll get individual cases. Season sets are meant to be slimmer these days. People want to save space.

I'm sure there will be no shortage of 'custom' covers available online that you can download, though.
Back to top Go down
amckinney
amckinney

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2010-11-19

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 4 EmptySun May 20, 2018 12:26 am

This is what the UK box will be (via Steve Roberts of the DW Restoration Team):

Quote :
Re the UK packaging. It's a hard, thick card case in the shape of a hardback book. The back and front covers are slightly oversize compared to the internal box, so it really does look like a book. When you open it, there's a stack of transparent plastic DVD holders that open like the pages of a book. On the left hand side there are two TARDIS doors held shut with a velcro tab. When you open those, there are a similar set of flaps top and bottom and those unfold to reveal the booklet.

So, definitely not plastic cases. No idea if this will carry over to the US.
Back to top Go down
Winter
Winter

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 4 EmptySun May 20, 2018 11:52 am

Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 4 Img_2024
This is currently the updated pic of the case that the U.S. is getting. Several sites are using the updated image now. Viva elite 6 disc Blu-ray case 15mm standard multi case.
Back to top Go down
Winter
Winter

PostSubject: Re: Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray   Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray - Page 4 EmptySun May 20, 2018 11:53 am

Note the fact that the above image lacks the digibook fold down the left side as in previous images which appeared to be photoshopped as a temporary stand in until an actual photo was made available. (A forum user with the handle Tigerman {from a diff. Forum} made an Inquiry with the BBC shop who confirmed the Viva elite case)

Last edited by Winter on Sun May 20, 2018 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Tom Baker Season 12 Blu-ray
Page 4 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next