9% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 11

AuthorMessage
Krynoid
Krynoid

Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2009-01-29

Season 10 Opener - The Pilot Empty
PostSubject: Season 10 Opener - The Pilot   Season 10 Opener - The Pilot EmptySat Apr 15, 2017 5:12 pm

I'm surprised that nobody has posted in here about the new series yet.

I just watched the first episode. I liked it. No obvious silliness. Just one Facebook joke that made me groan.

Bill wasn't annoying, I thought she would be. So that was good news.

I won't post any spoilers but be warned, there are spoilers in the end credits' Coming Soon section.

Last edited by SeaDevil on Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:02 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : added poll and trailer)
Back to top Go down
mattmanw54301
mattmanw54301

Number of posts : 1274
Registration date : 2007-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Season 10 Opener - The Pilot   Season 10 Opener - The Pilot EmptySun Apr 16, 2017 11:33 am

I liked it. Bill is likeable, and I didn't hate nardole like I was afraid of.
Back to top Go down
Dr_WhoTMNTfan
Dr_WhoTMNTfan

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2015-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Season 10 Opener - The Pilot   Season 10 Opener - The Pilot EmptySun Apr 16, 2017 1:32 pm

I enjoyed it Bill is 10x Better than Clara"Plot Device"/Clara Who? Oswald. I loved seeing all the sonic screwdrivers and the pics of River and Susan. Also nice shot of the movellans. Hope the rest of the season is great.
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7003
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Season 10 Opener - The Pilot   Season 10 Opener - The Pilot EmptySun Apr 16, 2017 4:03 pm

I liked it a lot.

Very interesting story...nice introduction to Bill...and I too loved the little touches like the pictures, old sonics, and Movellans.

So yeah... what Dr_WhoTMNTfan said...!!! Razz
Back to top Go down
Rogue
Rogue

Number of posts : 985
Registration date : 2007-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Season 10 Opener - The Pilot   Season 10 Opener - The Pilot EmptySun Apr 16, 2017 4:30 pm

Agreed, it was a decent story (finally) for Capaldi. I have a feeling this season will make me more upset that he's leaving so soon. He deserved better stories than he got. The two-parters last season was tiresome. Once in a while they're OK -- but don't the new writers know that the biggest offense of the original run was heavily-padded storytelling? Make a nice, concise story instead of something drawn-out.

I'm glad that, for a change, the companion seems normal. So we're not going "oh, who is this?" but instead more interested in what the Doctor is up to (that vault).

I liked the Doctor's idea of bringing a threat into the middle of a fray with the Daleks in order to eliminate the threat. I'm surprised he hasn't done that before. And the Movellans! It didn't take long to recognize them farao
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Season 10 Opener - The Pilot   Season 10 Opener - The Pilot EmptySun Apr 16, 2017 10:54 pm

Best episode in a long time. Loved the nods to the past. Like Bill, because she seems to be filled with wonder. I wish this was a few seasons ago. Where has the real Moffat been hiding? Maybe he hid his better stories in the vault?
Back to top Go down
Ted47
Ted47

Number of posts : 436
Registration date : 2012-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Season 10 Opener - The Pilot   Season 10 Opener - The Pilot EmptyMon Apr 17, 2017 6:33 pm

I also thought it was a descent episode. Bill will be a good companion. Because everything surprises her. Unlike Clara. Nothing seemed to phase her.
Also like these single episode stories better.
Funny how a writer can write a good episode and a bad one.(Dr Mysterio).

Back to top Go down
thebreen

Number of posts : 879
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Season 10 Opener - The Pilot   Season 10 Opener - The Pilot EmptyTue Apr 18, 2017 4:49 pm

I love Bill so far!  I used to like Clara too, and Bill underscores just how much I started to dislike Clara by the end.  I hope Bill stays a cool, fun, normal person and doesn't get turned into a weird series of disconnected plot devices like Clara. Honestly, even that reference how the Doctor would feel about a memory wipe made me roll my eyes.

I do wish the 'chip girl' and 'star-eye girl' had been the same character though, as I think this would have made Bill's concern for 'star-eye' girl a bit more poignant. That's a minor quibble though, and I think there's probably a good case to be made that they be separate characters.

I was thrilled by the cameo appearance of the Movellans!  SO COOL!  I know about the three major 'classic' villain appearances coming this season (I'll keep it spoiler free, but the appearances have all been promoted so you probably know who I'm talking about). With the appearance of the Movellans, I can't help but wonder if we'll be getting more 'surprise' cameos like this throughout the season. I keep imagining Peter Capaldi is checking off a fan list"  "Right Moffat... before I go I want to see a, b, c... etc.)"
Back to top Go down
Shatterbang
Shatterbang

Number of posts : 581
Registration date : 2010-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Season 10 Opener - The Pilot   Season 10 Opener - The Pilot EmptyTue Apr 18, 2017 10:46 pm

Nobody thought Bill was a relation of the Doctor?

I thought by the placement of the pictures of River and Susan and by his 'checking' with them when trying to decide whether or not to bring Bill along it was heavily implied.
Back to top Go down
http://emerdelac.wordpress.com
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

PostSubject: Re: Season 10 Opener - The Pilot   Season 10 Opener - The Pilot EmptyTue Apr 18, 2017 11:19 pm

Hmmmm...interesting...that never crossed my mind...

...gonna have to look to see if they drop any more clues this season...
Back to top Go down
thebreen

PostSubject: Re: Season 10 Opener - The Pilot   Season 10 Opener - The Pilot EmptyThu Apr 20, 2017 10:18 am

Shatterbang wrote:
Nobody thought Bill was a relation of the Doctor?

I thought by the placement of the pictures of River and Susan and by his 'checking' with them when trying to decide whether or not to bring Bill along it was heavily implied.

WHOAH! How did I miss that? Now that you mention it, the implication/hints were obvious... especially since we saw the Doctor's reflection in one of the photos of Bill's mum! Bill never knew her dad. Perhaps the "promise" the Doctor made was to never put Bill's life at risk, or let her know her dad was an alien?
Now it's almost too obvious... now I'm wondering if it's a red herring/twist.

I wonder if/how the memory-wipe angle will come into play.

On a side note... Does anybody here remember Sharon Davies from the Doctor Who comic? I was just thinking it might be fun if SHE was Bill's mum! I don't think the continuity fits, but it would have been an interesting, esoteric nod to the classic/expanded Whoniverse.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Season 10 Opener - The Pilot   Season 10 Opener - The Pilot EmptyThu Apr 20, 2017 5:36 pm

I thought the photo was just the doctor going back in time and taking photos, because Bill said she had none. That is why they found the box they didn't remember having.

But it is an interesting theory. But I hope we get the real Susan.
Back to top Go down
thebreen

PostSubject: Re: Season 10 Opener - The Pilot   Season 10 Opener - The Pilot EmptyFri Apr 21, 2017 5:17 pm

Ronpur wrote:
I thought the photo was just the doctor going back in time and taking photos, because Bill said she had none.  That is why they found the box they didn't remember having.

Hmmm... yes.  Now I think you may have stumbled on another interesting potential twist... Bill inadvertently causes her own 'conception'.

The Doctor, being a a softie (and a timey-wimey showoff) pops back in time to take photos of Bill's mum... but he falls in love... and... bingo!  It's like the opposite of the infamous grandfather paradox time-travel story!
Back to top Go down
squishy
squishy

Number of posts : 2485
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Season 10 Opener - The Pilot   Season 10 Opener - The Pilot EmptyFri Apr 21, 2017 10:24 pm

Good enough start for me. Nothing too offensive. No real villain, except some college student got turned into a puddle. But that's one of the dangers you accept when you go into higher education, so I guess characters cannot get too upset.

The only complaint? Maybe that puddle was a little too powerful. If my car could leak time traveling oil that can zap across the universe in seconds what kind of hot rod would I be driving? And why would the ship leave little scorches if the oil just zips along with no apparent skid marks? Minor quibble, but once again what must be relatively unsophisticated aliens have litter that turns out to be super powerful. Much like fake vikings who have chips capable of extending human life billions of years. Such incredible garbage from such run-of-the mill aliens.

Still trying to figure out Nardole. He never seems to have enough to do to make a strong impression.

Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

PostSubject: Re: Season 10 Opener - The Pilot   Season 10 Opener - The Pilot EmptyMon Apr 24, 2017 11:27 pm

I added a poll to this thread...as is customary

King regards to Scary...miss you...

Sea
Admin
Back to top Go down
timewarrior
timewarrior

Number of posts : 4016
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Season 10 Opener - The Pilot   Season 10 Opener - The Pilot EmptySat Apr 29, 2017 9:54 pm

very good. bill is good too.
Back to top Go down

Season 10 Opener - The Pilot
Page 1 of 1