Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeSearchRegisterLog inThe Who North America Online StoreLatest images

S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS)

Go down 
+15
D84
CrochetOwl
Ronpur
Brain of Davros
beep
timewarrior
Krynoid
Just Scott
Ben C.
Evil Monkey Pope
Rogue
TinDogRory
Gallifreys Loss
Invisible Supreme
Scary
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Rate S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice
AWESOME!
S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS) - Page 2 Vote_lcap40%S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS) - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 40% [ 10 ]
Good!
S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS) - Page 2 Vote_lcap24%S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS) - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 24% [ 6 ]
Okay...
S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS) - Page 2 Vote_lcap12%S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS) - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 12% [ 3 ]
Bad!
S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS) - Page 2 Vote_lcap16%S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS) - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 16% [ 4 ]
AWFUL!
S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS) - Page 2 Vote_lcap8%S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS) - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 8% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 25

AuthorMessage
Brain of Davros
Brain of Davros

Number of posts : 1279
Registration date : 2007-02-09

S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS)   S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 20, 2015 2:06 pm

Ronpur wrote:
But do you really think the Doctor will kill Davros?  He said he was saving his friends, maybe he wi;; just rescue Davros from the Hand Mines.  That act maybe enough so that Davros remembers, he will help the Doctor.

He won't kill Davros but he should and the whole season we can witness the results and maybe the Rise of the Valeyard
Back to top Go down
squishy
squishy

Number of posts : 2485
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS)   S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 20, 2015 7:09 pm

Missy is bananas just gets really old, really fast. Great that now she just wants to be friends, too bad she didn't figure that out during her debut when she wanted to suck face. Half the time Missy gets better dialogue and the other half it just gets worse and worse.
Back to top Go down
Brain of Davros
Brain of Davros

PostSubject: Re: S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS)   S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 20, 2015 7:25 pm

I'm sure Missy and Clara will return but the only way Missy can be redeemed in my eyes is if she kills the kid Davros.

I just watched Genesis again today in my Breakfast with Baker and man I can't in anyway think of how the Doctor's last line of how some eventual good will come from the Daleks creation will ever be plausible by the current writing team.

I think the idea of a threat worse than the Daleks has to be introduced and it shouldn't be the Timelords
Back to top Go down
Invisible Supreme
Invisible Supreme

Number of posts : 2167
Registration date : 2010-03-16

PostSubject: Re: S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS)   S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 20, 2015 8:55 pm

Good did come out of the Daleks' creation. They killed the Cybermen in Doomsday.
Back to top Go down
Brain of Davros
Brain of Davros

PostSubject: Re: S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS)   S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 21, 2015 2:54 am

Plus they exterminated the Movellans thus saving us from the beaded hair look
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS)   S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 21, 2015 8:22 am

Why I enjoyed the episode, once again,I hope that we will get a great follow up to it. Too many time these two parters have had conclusions that let me down. I think that is my big fear this year.

Unlike most older fans, I seem to enjoy Moffat in charge. And it seems a great many others do as well. He is giving the BBC exactly what they want.

He is never going to be my favorite producer......no one will ever top Barry Letts!!
Back to top Go down
Redfern
Redfern

Number of posts : 1208
Registration date : 2009-02-13

PostSubject: Re: S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS)   S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 21, 2015 1:00 pm

Some fans upon the TrekBBS are wondering if the title, "The Magician's Apprentice", implies the Doctor will not only save Davros from the hand mines (cool and freaky idea, but wrong in my admittedly biased opinion for the Thal/Kaled war) but try to "raise" him right, thus the child Davros being the "apprentice" to the Doctor as "magician". Except things go awry, akin to Mickey Mouse in "Fantasia".

Sincerely,

Bill
Back to top Go down
http://www.mzzkiti.com
Brain of Davros
Brain of Davros

PostSubject: Re: S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS)   S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 21, 2015 1:53 pm

Then the season ends with Missy killing the boy in the Christmas special😀
Back to top Go down
mattmanw54301
mattmanw54301

Number of posts : 1274
Registration date : 2007-09-09

PostSubject: Re: S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS)   S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 22, 2015 5:11 am

I voted 'good'. Very strong start, but I am holding my breath, because there are plenty of ways Moffat could screw it up. He's capable of writing some smashing stuff. But you never know which Moffat you will get: 'Empty Child' Mofffat or 'Time of the Doctor' Moffat. But on its own, there are some very interesting ideas here.

The Good:
The tank scene
Hand mines
Maldovarium

The Bad:
Crisis with the planes seemed rushed
UNIT appearance seemed to lack spectacle.
Missy's survival is never explained.
Back to top Go down
squishy
squishy

PostSubject: Re: S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS)   S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 25, 2015 1:09 pm

Missy offers to help the Daleks break into the TARDIS and be able to conquer all of time and space. But Daleks have had their own TARDIS-ish capsule since "The Chase". But it was never seen again. Well the Daleks still have time corridor technology such as "Evil of the Daleks" and "Resurrection of the Daleks" and some other mother ship time zone hopping in "Remembrance of the Daleks". So the writers just gave Missy a "typical villain trying to save their own skin" routine.

So do the current Daleks (and Davros if he's in a smaller faction) still have time travel capabilities? The Doctor was captured from medieval times by "snake guy". They took the "spaceship" back to Skaro. Unless the present-time Skaro happens to occur hundreds of years ago then they must have time traveled to Skaro. "Snake dude" appeared to be travelling all over the far future including Karn and other stops that appeared to have humans about. "Snake dude" therefore has his own time-machine to go back to medieval times and then forward/backward to Skaro. If everyone is time travelling so much then why be concerned with the Doctor's current location as they could just go back to young Davros.

Or should I just not try to think about this all so much? The medieval bit was meant to be more fun than capturing the Doctor in the future and taking him to Davros. Don't think about this too hard.
Back to top Go down
Brain of Davros
Brain of Davros

PostSubject: Re: S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS)   S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 25, 2015 2:24 pm

Ya following continuity is a lost art so writers just don't care anymore.It's just sloppy lazy,writing now.

It's Kewl
Back to top Go down
D84
D84

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2012-08-03

PostSubject: Re: S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS)   S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 25, 2015 2:39 pm

I'm guessing the Daleks still have the technology.  It was called the "Time War."
Back to top Go down
Krynoid
Krynoid

Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2009-01-29

PostSubject: Re: S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS)   S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 25, 2015 2:46 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it didn't actually state when in time this meeting took place. The mixture of old and new Daleks could imply that models were cherry-picked and brought to a central time.

heck, for all we know, these events could be taking place just before the 7th Doctor destroys Skaro!

I'm sure neither is the case though, as I don't expect cohesive plots from The Moff et al.

Back to top Go down
doc272
doc272

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2007-02-06

PostSubject: Re: S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS)   S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 29, 2015 1:29 pm

Since when are the doctor and the master friends they are enemy's but in this episode they are acting like they are friends and I don't like that.
Back to top Go down
Brain of Davros
Brain of Davros

PostSubject: Re: S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS)   S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 29, 2015 1:35 pm

I guess you won't like the upcoming episode call Brokeback Dalek then.
Back to top Go down
Krynoid
Krynoid

Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2009-01-29

PostSubject: Re: S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS)   S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 29, 2015 1:48 pm

doc272 wrote:
Since when are the doctor and the master friends they are enemy's but in this episode they are acting like they are friends and I don't like that.

The classic series described them as being at school together. That they knew each other. There was mutual respect, a begrudging admiration and a bit of competition. But that's all that was portrayed; a mutual respect. Not love, or a longing for friendship. But then relationships with main characters rarely reared their ugly heads in the old show. They were used to remove a few companions, but never to interfere with a story. The classic series was very "stiff upper lip". Any time The Master and Doctor worked together, it was because they had to, not because they wanted to.

The new series keeps warping old concepts or just plain getting them wrong. It's more important to come across as cool, or "with it" for today's kids.

Back to top Go down
Brain of Davros
Brain of Davros

PostSubject: Re: S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS)   S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 29, 2015 2:56 pm

The quick fix effect
Back to top Go down
squishy
squishy

PostSubject: Re: S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS)   S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 29, 2015 6:03 pm

Krynoid wrote:
doc272 wrote:

The classic series described them as being at school together. That they knew each other. There was mutual respect, a begrudging admiration and a bit of competition. But that's all that was portrayed; a mutual respect. Not love, or a longing for friendship.  But then relationships with main characters rarely reared their ugly heads in the old show. They were used to remove a few companions, but never to interfere with a story. The classic series was very "stiff upper lip". Any time The Master and Doctor worked together, it was because they had to, not because they wanted to.

The new series keeps warping old concepts or just plain getting them wrong. It's more important to come across as cool, or "with it" for today's kids.  

At the beginning of "The Sea Devils" the Doctor did feel sorry for locking the Master up.  As the actors were such close friends they do come across as old buddies that you would believe went to school together.  Sabotaging time experiments with wine bottles ("The Time Monster") and such shenanigans.  Kill off the timelords and I didn't have a big problem with the Doctor being rather sad when the Master's wife shot him.  The crazy Simms Master was far more irritating than the Doctor expressing that he just found an old friend only to be left alone again.
Back to top Go down
doc272
doc272

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2007-02-06

PostSubject: Re: S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS)   S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS) - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 01, 2015 1:09 am

Yes but in the classic series they would go at it yes they might have been friend in the beginning (when they were kids) but the master always wanted the doctor to die and even in the 1996 movie they made it seem like the master and the darleks got along too but the only thing they had in common was they both want the doctor to die so to now portray them (the doctor and the master) as friends is not what I as a classic fan want to see.
Back to top Go down

S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS)
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2