Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeSearchRegisterLog inThe Who North America Online StoreLatest images

S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS)

Go down 
+15
D84
CrochetOwl
Ronpur
Brain of Davros
beep
timewarrior
Krynoid
Just Scott
Ben C.
Evil Monkey Pope
Rogue
TinDogRory
Gallifreys Loss
Invisible Supreme
Scary
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Rate S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice
AWESOME!
S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS) Vote_lcap40%S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS) Vote_rcap
 40% [ 10 ]
Good!
S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS) Vote_lcap24%S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS) Vote_rcap
 24% [ 6 ]
Okay...
S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS) Vote_lcap12%S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS) Vote_rcap
 12% [ 3 ]
Bad!
S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS) Vote_lcap16%S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS) Vote_rcap
 16% [ 4 ]
AWFUL!
S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS) Vote_lcap8%S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS) Vote_rcap
 8% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 25

AuthorMessage
Scary
Scary

Number of posts : 7495
Registration date : 2010-11-12

S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS) Empty
PostSubject: S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS)   S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS) EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 2:27 pm

Filming for Series 9 has started so we're bound to see on-set photos, soon; I thought it'd be a good idea to get a thread up for when we do see them.

"Magician's Apprentice"... Sounds like another companion-centric episode... Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Scary on Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:31 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.doctorwhofigures.com
Invisible Supreme
Invisible Supreme

Number of posts : 2167
Registration date : 2010-03-16

PostSubject: Re: S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS)   S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS) EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 2:51 pm

Sounds like a C.S Lewis knock-off.

Here we go again.
Back to top Go down
Gallifreys Loss
Gallifreys Loss

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2012-07-23

PostSubject: Re: S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS)   S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS) EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 4:47 pm

Or a Mickey Mouse knock-off. The Doctor goes off on some important matter, leaves Clara in the TARDIS, Clara mucks about with the controls, chaos ensues.
Back to top Go down
TinDogRory
TinDogRory

Number of posts : 1462
Registration date : 2010-07-20

PostSubject: Re: S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS)   S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS) EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 7:50 pm

Clara messes up big time without the Doctor around to fix it would be an interesting episode. "Flatline" was pretty excellent and was Doctor-lite.
Back to top Go down
http://aykfpod.com
Rogue
Rogue

Number of posts : 985
Registration date : 2007-02-02

PostSubject: Re: S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS)   S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS) EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 10:46 pm

Maybe the Doctor becomes the apprentice?? Smile
Back to top Go down
Evil Monkey Pope
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 2207
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS)   S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS) EmptyWed Jan 21, 2015 12:48 am

http://www.themarysue.com/thoros-doctor-who/
Back to top Go down
https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
TinDogRory
TinDogRory

Number of posts : 1462
Registration date : 2010-07-20

PostSubject: Re: S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS)   S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS) EmptyWed Jan 21, 2015 2:49 pm

^ 10% casting article, 90% back-bends to make a joke.
Back to top Go down
http://aykfpod.com
Scary
Scary

PostSubject: Re: S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS)   S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS) EmptyMon Jan 26, 2015 6:38 pm

Rogue wrote:
Maybe the Doctor becomes the apprentice?? Smile

I wouldn't be surprised at that. Either way, it's going to be Clara taking the limelight as usual isn't it? :/
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

PostSubject: Re: S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS)   S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS) EmptySun Aug 16, 2015 1:13 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing more of Missy in this season opener!
Back to top Go down
Ben C.
Ben C.

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2014-07-24

PostSubject: Re: S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS)   S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS) EmptySat Sep 05, 2015 9:16 am

Back to top Go down
Ben C.
Ben C.

PostSubject: Re: S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS)   S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS) EmptyWed Sep 09, 2015 6:51 am

Advance review... if you like *everything* to be a surprise, DON'T click the link.
If you like teasing with some foreknowledge and a bit of spoiling but no major dead-giveaways then click away:

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/the-magicians-apprentice-advance-review-75763.htm
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

PostSubject: Re: S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS)   S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS) EmptyFri Sep 18, 2015 5:06 pm

Airs tomorrow! WOO!

I wasn't really especially excited until I saw the prologue... No idea what's happening, but it's interesting to speculate what and who they could be talking about. The line "An enemy is just a friend you don't really know yet," seems to me to sound like it's referring to the Master, which would make sense considering Missy is in this episode.

But there have also been strong rumours about...

Spoiler:

Also, great podcast on this episode and the series here:

Looking forward to it! cheers
Back to top Go down
Ben C.
Ben C.

PostSubject: Re: S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS)   S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS) EmptyFri Sep 18, 2015 6:52 pm

For what it's worth, Bors calls the Doctor, "Magician," a few times in the Prequel.
Back to top Go down
Just Scott
Just Scott

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2012-01-11

PostSubject: Re: S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS)   S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS) EmptySat Sep 19, 2015 4:00 pm

WHAT THE H3LL WAS THAT????!!!!
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

PostSubject: Re: S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS)   S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS) EmptySat Sep 19, 2015 4:15 pm

Voted AWESOME!

Major spoiler ahead... You've been warned!

This is a GREAT way to start the series! There's still a lot to be answered, but I was pumped from the beginning when said rumours that I mentioned in my previous post were confirmed in the first scene! Very exciting to see where this will go! Also, such a great feeling to be left on a cliffhanger! I am glad that cliffhangers are back!

Now story-wise, there isn't really much. This whole episode really is one big build up of suspense, and we're still very much left hanging at the end. But I enjoyed it. I am indeed excited to get answers and see events pan out!

Missy was great once again. I don't really know why she's here, but I enjoyed seeing more of her. I love the Doc and Master's relationship - their fight and battle against each other really is to just make each other understand & agree on each other's point of view and be friends, yet also to try to prove themselves right to the other one and boast about it. Under the surface, they really are just two kids at odds with each other. However, I hope that Moffat doesn't soften the Master/Missy up too much to the Doctor because I still want to see them waging war against one another.

But never mind all of that... Davros!! Great to see him back and I love that they're putting the Doctor's line from 'Genesis of the Daleks' to use about the dilemma of murdering a child or not of whom would grow up to be a genocidal maniac. Not just any old maniac though, but Davros! And it looks like we may get some explanation for why Skaro is back, too!

Really, not much has actually happened yet, and we know very little about what's going on. But the suspense present throughout the whole episode, beginning to end, and the sheer hype-factor over Davros has really got me going. So although this episode doesn't really serve as a mind-blowing story, I feel it's the foundation for some great episodes to come in this series! Very Happy

4/5 cheers
Back to top Go down
Krynoid
Krynoid

Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2009-01-29

PostSubject: Re: S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS)   S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS) EmptySat Sep 19, 2015 9:14 pm

I did not like it. There was no plot, just promise of plot. The whole pre-credit sequence held the promise of a really good story and...they ignored it!

And the usual (of late) over use of the companion just irked me. And that whole sequence with UNIT came across as silly! A bunch of over-excited fools. What would they have done without Clara?

And if there was a Dalek spy with the Doctor..for 3 weeks, why could the snake dude not find the Doctor?

...really losing my love for this show...

Last edited by Krynoid on Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
timewarrior
timewarrior

Number of posts : 4016
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS)   S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS) EmptySat Sep 19, 2015 10:07 pm

HOLY CRAP THAT WAS GOOD!
Back to top Go down
Krynoid
Krynoid

Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2009-01-29

PostSubject: Re: S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS)   S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS) EmptySat Sep 19, 2015 10:27 pm

timewarrior wrote:
HOLY CRAP THAT WAS GOOD!

What exactly did you think was good?
Back to top Go down
beep
beep

Number of posts : 807
Registration date : 2009-07-23

PostSubject: Re: S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS)   S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS) EmptySat Sep 19, 2015 10:31 pm

Krynoid wrote:

And if there was a Dalek spy with the Doctor..for 3 weeks, why could the snake dude not find the Doctor?

Well Bors was obviously a Dalek spy while Colony Sarf is pretty clearly devoted to Davros, so I'm suspecting that as usual, the daleks and Davros aren't completely on the same level with each other and are working to different agendas.
Back to top Go down
timewarrior
timewarrior

Number of posts : 4016
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS)   S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS) EmptySat Sep 19, 2015 11:21 pm

Krynoid wrote:
timewarrior wrote:
HOLY CRAP THAT WAS GOOD!

What exactly did you think was good?

Davros, the mistress. . .the daleks. . .the whole build up. . .the fact that after all this time. . the doctor has become so embittered that he goes against his own beliefs in a moment of sheer weakness.
Back to top Go down
Brain of Davros
Brain of Davros

Number of posts : 1279
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS)   S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS) EmptySun Sep 20, 2015 3:53 am

I give it a 3 out of 5 after just one viewing but I hope it's not just another poor Moffat payoff to come.

The Good

Davros being killed as a child is a great paradox story idea.But WILL the Doctor do it?That's the big key to this story.I love the thought of killing Davros as a child and it resulting in something worse(if you can imagine)than the Daleks being unleashed in the Universe.
As the 4th Doctor states in Genesis,many long time enemies have stopped fighting and joined forces to fight the Daleks.Also something would have to fill the vacuum of evil.

With no one to challenge the Time Lords do they eventually grow mad with infinite power and enslave everyone?

Do the Sontarans grow to become the next dominate threat to the Timelords with their thirst for power over Time?

Do the Cybermen continue to spread unfettered and become THE Big Bads?

Or does something new come forth to terrorize?

I always was curious about the Nightmare Child and the King of Never Was.

I'd love a return of the ancient enemy of the Time Lords,The Great Giant Vampires from State of Decay.

But unfortunately I doubt Moffat has the stones for such awesomeness in him.Too busy with having the Doc play guitar on a tank to make everyone laugh for a quick moment.

Ending on a cliffhanger is a lot of fun and needs to be done more but with better scripts.

The Great

Karn and the Sisterhood,wish they included the prequel scene too.

Was watching the Daleks kill Missy and Clara.But a Master regeneration would have been too cool in the first episode I guess.And I'm sure Jenna's exit will be more cliche than death.

Skaro Reborn was really cool.

The Bad

Missy being written as a homicidal clown grows very thin after a few seconds.I'd rather more serious but that's a problem with the show as a whole I guess.

Waste of UNIT resources.

The Harry Potter Voldemort ripoff could have been better.

All in all,it seems this season will be better than season 8's Clara and Danny show so fingers crossed.

Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS)   S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS) EmptySun Sep 20, 2015 8:38 am

But do you really think the Doctor will kill Davros? He said he was saving his friends, maybe he wi;; just rescue Davros from the Hand Mines. That act maybe enough so that Davros remembers, he will help the Doctor.
Back to top Go down
CrochetOwl

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2008-01-08

PostSubject: Re: S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS)   S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS) EmptySun Sep 20, 2015 11:34 am

Enjoyable episode and definitely one that is re-watchable (last series maybe there were 3-4 at the most). As long as Moffat is the showrunner, I continue to keep expectations low since there are very few episodes that really stand out between Smith and Capaldi). Two nitpicks deterred me from giving it an Excellent rating:

-Missy continues to be over the top (as another reviewer elsewhere commented, Anthony Ainley redux). Still waiting for a Master that ranks up there with Roger Delgado.
-The whole bit with the arena/tank/guitar was way too long.

Clara was bearable (so happy she is finally departing) but I thought after the Christmas special she would have been a permanent occupant in the TARDIS yet she continues to split her time with teaching.

Colony's snake was wicked though instead of gliding would have liked a more slithering feel to him. His character overall was meh otherwise.

So Davros is another one that you just can't kill - sigh. The Daleks themselves need to sit out a few seasons, just tired of them.
Back to top Go down
D84
D84

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2012-08-03

PostSubject: Re: S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS)   S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS) EmptySun Sep 20, 2015 1:20 pm

Have to agree with you on those points. It wasn't bad, and definitely better than last series, but not that good.

I think Missy is really silly and needs more stone cold killer moments. She comes across more like Jack Nicholson's the Joker than the Master.

The Daleks need to go away for a while. Probably a couple years at least.
Back to top Go down
Brain of Davros
Brain of Davros

Number of posts : 1279
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS)   S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS) EmptySun Sep 20, 2015 2:03 pm

I say restart the whole franchise with a more serious tone in about 5 years after Capaldi is done and a Doctor Who movie(s) is made.
Back to top Go down

S9E1: The Magician's Apprentice (MAJOR SPOILERS)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next