2 posters
AuthorMessage
Evil Monkey Pope
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 2207
Registration date : 2007-07-16

Orphan Black Empty
PostSubject: Orphan Black   Orphan Black EmptySun May 19, 2013 4:36 am

Is anybody else watching my new favorite show, Orphan Black?
It's an unambiguously Canadian program (unlike the ambiguously set Lost Girl) about clones. It's created by the people that gave us Ginger Snaps. One of the locales is even Biley Downs! Tatiana Maslany (of Ginger Snaps: Unleashed) does a superb job at giving each clone a distinct personality. So far it's more character piece/mystery/thriller than hard sci-fi. It sort of feels Warren Ellis-y (without the obligatory "I'm a cranky old bastard" speech or a diatribe on a ridiculously extreme sexual perversion, though there's still time to work them in). It feels fresh & intriguiging even though clones aren't anything new.
Back to top Go down
https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
jonwes
jonwes

Number of posts : 4627
Registration date : 2007-02-01

Orphan Black Empty
PostSubject: Re: Orphan Black   Orphan Black EmptySun May 19, 2013 4:04 pm

It is, hands down, my favorite new series of the last season.

I've actually been talking about it elsewhere episode by episode:

SOME SPOILERS BELOW....

Pilot:
I really enjoyed it. I thought they did a great job setting up the premise in the pilot. For those who haven't heard about it, it starts off with an orphan who witnesses a woman who looks just like her committing suicide. Then things get more interesting from there! I thought the lead actress in particular was great, which is good as we'll be seeing her in various roles. Loved her main sidekick, as well. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing where this is going.

Episode 2:
The second episode was great at really making things much more complicated for Sarah. I loved it. I really find myself drawn to her predicament, even if she's probably not that great of a person in a lot of ways. I find her very sympathetic, and it's a great thrill watching her think on the fly and react to whatever is in front of her. And man, the soccer mom version was so well done. She really made two very distinct characters, and it didn't rely on different color wigs or accents.

Episode 3:
I like how they are making the most out of the premise, and keep putting Sarah in awkward positions. Her adjustment to trying to play police officer was well done. I very much enjoyed the scene where she tried to figure out how to put her holster on. It's little touches like that which really sell it. I was intrigued about the identity of the person who is trying to kill off the clones! It'll be interesting to see how this unfolds.

Episode 4 & 5:
Still enjoying the series. I did kind of wonder if it could sustain its premise, but so far it really has not let up steam, and has been complicating things for Sarah nicely. Though over the last few episodes elements of a police procedural have crept in, which I kind of hope doesn't become a long term focus. It's fun to play in, but I'm not sure how long Sarah can keep her impersonation of Beth up. I can see maybe a season max. Too much beyond that and I'll feel like I was tricked into watching another cop show. (Note: Funny that this was a concern back then, knowing how things turn out) I'm willing to give the writers more credit than that, though, based on what we've seen so far.

We are given some hints about who exactly is trying to get rid of the clones. It's hinted at that Evil Clone belongs to some religious group. It'll be interesting to see if that's all there is to it or if it really was what Allison (Soccer Mom Clone) surmised and that they are an experiment that someone is trying to stop.

Speaking of Allison, I've got to hand it to her, once again, for adeptly playing Allison pretending to be Sarah. It was an all around great sequence.

And Evil Clone pretending to be Allison in a weird hat that should have caused a bit more alarm, I think! LOL. I thought that was great.

One thing I did have to laugh at a bit was the use of Kasmia (Dreadlocked Student Clone) because yes, she is studying to be a scientist. And she's smart. But they seem to be using her as a more catch-all brain box. I thought it was a bit funny she was the one who found out about the knife. I mean, I guess to be a student she has to be really good at research! So maybe it makes sense.

I still like Felix a lot. Is he a bit Nolan from Revenge? A bit. Except he's much more of an ordinary person along for the ride. But I enjoy his bits. I usually find them genuinely amusing.

Episode 6:
A bit behind with this weeks, but this one was actually a lot of fun... in ways. Seeing everyone's worlds collide at once was pretty interesting. Sort of irritated by Paul, but he makes a good irritant. Wasn't sure what to think when Matt Frewer showed up. When he isn't doing his second-hand Jim Carrey shtick, he's a good actor, though.

Also... glue gun burns... ouch!

Episode 7:
Man, the way they are propelling the story forward, it almost feels like there won't need to be a season 2! It's refreshing after the slow paces of other ongoing dramas these days. It's intriguing how much everything has changed from the start. It would be interesting to know if some of those people who didn't find anyone likable in the beginning have changed their minds? I really feel like Sarah has grown by leaps and bounds as a character, and I have really come to care for (and be invested in) the other clone's stories as well.

Episode 8:
Man, this series is not afraid to just GO there. Thoughts about this episode:
• Good riddance to Olivier! He thought he was so cool wish his ridiculous tail, and yet he was just a disposable middle man. I enjoyed how Paul turned the tables on him.

• Love that the police are starting to put things together. It's of course the worst moment for the clones, which is great for the drama. But man, Fe, painting the other clones? Probably not the smartest thing ever...

• Allison! Oh, Allison... it's been pretty fun/tragic seeing her self destruct her own life. If slightly insane, because she seems to be 0 for 2 now in figuring out who her monitor is... maybe...

• Speaking of monitors - Delphine is interesting. I thought it was intriguing that she was dedicated enough to her cause to sleep with Kasima, but not enough to reveal that Sarah had a daughter. And, it's interesting that Leaky seemed to not know who Sarah was.

•¤Helena coming after Kira. Scary stuff! And an amazing moment for Helena. And then... BOOM. I mean. I don't think every show on television is willing to run over a 7 year old. It was slightly insane how graphic it was, to be honest. But it certainly had the desired effect. I was totally shocked.

Only two more episodes left this season!
Back to top Go down
Evil Monkey Pope
Evil Monkey Pope

Orphan Black Empty
PostSubject: Re: Orphan Black   Orphan Black EmptySat Jun 01, 2013 3:17 pm

Could Felix be Sarah's monitor?
Do all the clones have healing factors or just Sarah & Helena? Do the other clones have different powers? Why was Katja sick?
Back to top Go down
Evil Monkey Pope
Evil Monkey Pope

Orphan Black Empty
PostSubject: Re: Orphan Black   Orphan Black EmptyThu Jun 06, 2013 6:16 pm

That finale was awesome!
Allison letting Aynsely die spectacular.
I feel bad about Helena. Do you think she'll heal it off?
I don't think the clone contracts would hold up in court.
I feel bad that the cops still didn't figure things out after all their effort.
Now that Sarah's blown off the Dyad Institute, I wonder how she'll survive her legal troubles without their top flight legal aid.
I did not see Mrs. S being in on the conspiracy coming. Great cliffhanger!
Tatiana Maslany deserves all the awards!
http://www.tv.com/news/interview-with-a-chameleon-orphan-blacks-tatiana-maslany-137029725753/
Back to top Go down
jonwes
jonwes

Number of posts : 4627
Registration date : 2007-02-01

Orphan Black Empty
PostSubject: Re: Orphan Black   Orphan Black EmptyThu Jun 06, 2013 7:58 pm

I think Helena is done and gone. I actually thought it was a good time to cut her loose, as sad as I was to see her go.

I feel the same about the contracts... but I guess in this universe they could do whatever they want.

I think the jury is still out on Mrs. S. Not convinced she's still working for them. She might have been there at the start, clearly.
Back to top Go down

Orphan Black
Page 1 of 1