Rust
jaredofmo
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

a Black Doctor? Empty
PostSubject: a Black Doctor?   a Black Doctor? EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 10:12 am

OK This is a discussion... its not intended to be or should be taken as "politically incorrect" or
"racist".

In "Lets Kill Hitler" Mels is a black / African-American woman, she regenerates into River Song who is white - So I guess that means that the Doctor can change race and skin color?

Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6853
Registration date : 2010-05-22

a Black Doctor? Empty
PostSubject: Re: a Black Doctor?   a Black Doctor? EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 10:14 am

Yep. He said as much in the SJA episode "Death of the Doctor."

He just hasn't yet...
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

a Black Doctor? Empty
PostSubject: Re: a Black Doctor?   a Black Doctor? EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 10:17 am

Ok Thanks, I must have missed that.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

a Black Doctor? Empty
PostSubject: Re: a Black Doctor?   a Black Doctor? EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 10:24 am

British actor Patterson Joseph was apparently in line for the role prior to Matt Smith being successful.

I would personally would have loved to have seen that happening - never really been a Matt fan.

I would rather see a Doctor of colour than a female Doctor. It's a bit like James Bond in a way.

I guess the Doctor can be whatever he chooses to be?
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

a Black Doctor? Empty
PostSubject: Re: a Black Doctor?   a Black Doctor? EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 10:24 am

Honestly, I want to see Colin Salmon as The Doctor. I think he'd do great.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

a Black Doctor? Empty
PostSubject: Re: a Black Doctor?   a Black Doctor? EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 10:28 am

Rust wrote:

Oooooh...now you're talking! Great choice!!

FTW!! cheers
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 6151
Registration date : 2009-07-27

a Black Doctor? Empty
PostSubject: Re: a Black Doctor?   a Black Doctor? EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 10:30 am

workstinx wrote:

I would rather see a Doctor of colour than a female Doctor. It's a bit like James Bond in a way.

I can see someone actually trying to do the cross gender regen at some point. It's been talked about enough as a potential option.

Back to top Go down
Anonymous

a Black Doctor? Empty
PostSubject: Re: a Black Doctor?   a Black Doctor? EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 10:31 am

I feel Matt is the best Doctor from the New Who - 9th Dr did not get much of a shot - would love to see how he developed, 10th Dr.... wont say much, pretty boy - was glad to see him go - Matt has the young look with the wisdom the Dr needs can do the humor and serious and had enough of a classic Dr feel to keep me interested.

What will happen in the future - whoknows

Long may Matt be at the TARDIS console!
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

a Black Doctor? Empty
PostSubject: Re: a Black Doctor?   a Black Doctor? EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 10:35 am

Cruel Angel wrote:
workstinx wrote:

I can see someone actually trying to do the cross gender regen at some point. It's been talked about enough as a potential option.

May lose interest in the show if that were the case? I am all for equal opportunities but I really would not like the Doctor to regenerate into a female.

I am aware that I may have opened a theoretical can of worms & will now doubt have lots of nay sayers lining up like an angry mob with pitch forks & burning torches. Only voicing my opinion.
Back to top Go down
rdks
rdks

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2008-08-22

a Black Doctor? Empty
PostSubject: Re: a Black Doctor?   a Black Doctor? EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 10:41 am

I hope that if the time comes for a black Doctor that the actor is chosen because they are the best for the role and not because of race.

I want the best Doctor possible, not stunt casting just to get a little publicity.

And no thanks to a female Doctor.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

a Black Doctor? Empty
PostSubject: Re: a Black Doctor?   a Black Doctor? EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 10:47 am

rdks wrote:
I hope that if the time comes for a black Doctor that the actor is chosen because they are the best for the role and not because of race.

I want the best Doctor possible, not stunt casting just to get a little publicity.

And no thanks to a female Doctor.

I agree fully, IF there is to be a black Dr. then it needs to be because he is the best actor for the role at the time of casting... not just because he is black.

I would turn off is the Dr became female, I'm not sexist but I would loose interest. If things get that drastic to add flare to the show then its time to let it end.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

a Black Doctor? Empty
PostSubject: Re: a Black Doctor?   a Black Doctor? EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 11:27 am

Well,I pretty much feel if the actor is good for the role, it does not matter what race he is, or what species he looks like! Cross gender would be a bit odd, too much like the Trill from Star Trek for story problems. I would be afraid that they would spend too much time writing stories about that.
But a very good racism lesson could be taught if he were to travel back to the 1950's and experience the world then. I seam to remember a Quantum Leap episode similar to that.
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

a Black Doctor? Empty
PostSubject: Re: a Black Doctor?   a Black Doctor? EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 11:53 am

If the actor/actress entertains and feels like the Doctor, I'll stay tuned in. It's not what the exterior looks like, so long as the character remains the same.
Back to top Go down
CGren123
CGren123

Number of posts : 2368
Registration date : 2009-12-23

a Black Doctor? Empty
PostSubject: Re: a Black Doctor?   a Black Doctor? EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 11:54 am

I might very well be in the minority in this discussion, but I would rather they stick with a white Doctor. I have no issue with black people in general, but I have the feeling the press would make too much of a big deal out of it. Remember when Martha was announced?

And thank you, but no thank you to a female Doctor.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

a Black Doctor? Empty
PostSubject: Re: a Black Doctor?   a Black Doctor? EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 1:11 pm

CGren123 wrote:
I might very well be in the minority in this discussion, but I would rather they stick with a white Doctor. I have no issue with black people in general, but I have the feeling the press would make too much of a big deal out of it. Remember when Martha was announced?

And thank you, but no thank you to a female Doctor.

I agree with what he said
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6853
Registration date : 2010-05-22

a Black Doctor? Empty
PostSubject: Re: a Black Doctor?   a Black Doctor? EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 6:23 pm

Re: Female Doctor.

I think Steven Moffat said it best when he was asked in an interview. Basically, a post-regeneration episode (Power of the Daleks, Spearhead from Space, Robot, Castrovalva, The Twin Dilemma, Time and the Rani, the TV Movie, The Christmas Invasion, and The Eleventh Hour) is to ensure the audience that the Doctor is the same man. And frankly, that's pretty hard if he's turned into a woman.
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

Number of posts : 7495
Registration date : 2010-11-12

a Black Doctor? Empty
PostSubject: Re: a Black Doctor?   a Black Doctor? EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 8:20 pm

I'd definitely not say no to trying it out. What harm would it do? We're all the same. I think it would be interesting to see. Very Happy

However, I think Moffat makes a good point there. A female Doctor just wouldn't work... I mean, since the Doc has been in love with companions such as Rose, would that then make him a lesbian? It would just be too much hassle.
Back to top Go down
https://www.doctorwhofigures.com
squishy
squishy

Number of posts : 2483
Registration date : 2008-07-16

a Black Doctor? Empty
PostSubject: Re: a Black Doctor?   a Black Doctor? EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 12:50 pm

ogron wrote:
OK This is a discussion... its not intended to be or should be taken as "politically incorrect" or
"racist".

In "Lets Kill Hitler" Mels is a black / African-American woman, she regenerates into River Song who is white - So I guess that means that the Doctor can change race and skin color?

Isn't it okay to refer to the actress as black? Or at least African-English as I don't think she was American? Not sure what is politically correct in the UK. But a good actor could be the Doctor regardless of skin color. It's much more in the manner and attitude that we recognize the character. In my opinion.

Which is why a woman may not work so well. Women are not often required by media to display all those quirky Doctor-isms in quite this combination. The writing of female parts is very often quite different. For now I'll say I haven't seen any other female actresses that have played a Doctor-ish role.
Back to top Go down
CGren123
CGren123

a Black Doctor? Empty
PostSubject: Re: a Black Doctor?   a Black Doctor? EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 1:05 pm

squishy wrote:
ogron wrote:
"racist".

Isn't it okay to refer to the actress as black? Or at least African-English as I don't think she was American? Not sure what is politically correct in the UK. But a good actor could be the Doctor regardless of skin color. It's much more in the manner and attitude that we recognize the character. In my opinion.

Which is why a woman may not work so well. Women are not often required by media to display all those quirky Doctor-isms in quite this combination. The writing of female parts is very often quite different. For now I'll say I haven't seen any other female actresses that have played a Doctor-ish role.

Black is alright here
Back to top Go down
Krynoid
Krynoid

Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2009-01-29

a Black Doctor? Empty
PostSubject: Re: a Black Doctor?   a Black Doctor? EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 2:12 pm

If you count the comedies, we've already had both; Lenny Henry and Joanna Lumley!

a Black Doctor? Lennyh10

Lenny wore a Tom Baker-like scarf and a Rupert Bear jumper & trousers!

a Black Doctor? Joanna10
Back to top Go down
Who North America
Who North America

Number of posts : 5792
Registration date : 2007-02-01

a Black Doctor? Empty
PostSubject: Re: a Black Doctor?   a Black Doctor? EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 2:31 pm

As always, it depends on the actor first. As long as it's the actor who is chosen, not some "politically correct" decision to make a black actor the Doctor, then it should work fine. The question should always be, "Who will bring the most to the part? Who will make a great Doctor?" Not... "Who will appeal to younger viewers? How will we appeal to women? How will we appeal to blacks/whites/yellows/Martians?" I think if they pick a great actor, everything will fall into place as long as the writing is good.

-Keith
Back to top Go down
https://whona.forumotion.com
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7000
Registration date : 2009-08-11

a Black Doctor? Empty
PostSubject: Re: a Black Doctor?   a Black Doctor? EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 2:33 pm

workstinx wrote:
Rust wrote:

Oooooh...now you're talking! Great choice!!

FTW!! cheers

Yup.
Back to top Go down
mysterylad
mysterylad

Number of posts : 1660
Registration date : 2009-02-21

a Black Doctor? Empty
PostSubject: Re: a Black Doctor?   a Black Doctor? EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 3:04 pm

I would have no issue with a black Doctor. We've seen black Time Lords, after all, and we know it's possible for a Time Lord to change species during a regeneration, so a change in race is simple by comparison! Just give me an interesting person in the role and I'm happy. I don't care if they're purple, let alone black.

As for a female Doctor, while we know that, too, is possible, I'd be slower to embrace that idea. I could warm to the right person in the role, but I'm used to my Doctor being a bit paternal, regardless of who's in the TARDIS; I would miss that at first, I think. I am sure the right actress would win me over, but it would take a bit of time.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cmichaelhall.com
Rust
Rust

a Black Doctor? Empty
PostSubject: Re: a Black Doctor?   a Black Doctor? EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 4:46 pm

Kinda on the same subject, how many of those opposed to a female Doctor would watch a spin off show starring Romana?
Back to top Go down
CGren123
CGren123

a Black Doctor? Empty
PostSubject: Re: a Black Doctor?   a Black Doctor? EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 4:55 pm

Rust wrote:
Kinda on the same subject, how many of those opposed to a female Doctor would watch a spin off show starring Romana?

I would, but only if Lalla Ward came back (either for whole series or just do film a Regeneration scene)
Back to top Go down

a Black Doctor?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next