jaredofmo
Cruel Angel
SeaDevil
Rust
The Daemon
13 posters

Favorite Season 1 Hartnell Story and Why
An Unearthly Child
Favorite Season 1 William Hartnell Story and Why Vote_lcap13%Favorite Season 1 William Hartnell Story and Why Vote_rcap
 13% [ 2 ]
The Daleks
Favorite Season 1 William Hartnell Story and Why Vote_lcap31%Favorite Season 1 William Hartnell Story and Why Vote_rcap
 31% [ 5 ]
The Edge of Destruction
Favorite Season 1 William Hartnell Story and Why Vote_lcap13%Favorite Season 1 William Hartnell Story and Why Vote_rcap
 13% [ 2 ]
Marco Polo
Favorite Season 1 William Hartnell Story and Why Vote_lcap0%Favorite Season 1 William Hartnell Story and Why Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
The Keys of Marinus
Favorite Season 1 William Hartnell Story and Why Vote_lcap25%Favorite Season 1 William Hartnell Story and Why Vote_rcap
 25% [ 4 ]
The Aztecs
Favorite Season 1 William Hartnell Story and Why Vote_lcap18%Favorite Season 1 William Hartnell Story and Why Vote_rcap
 18% [ 3 ]
The Sensorites
Favorite Season 1 William Hartnell Story and Why Vote_lcap0%Favorite Season 1 William Hartnell Story and Why Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
The Reign of Terror
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 16

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
The Daemon
The Daemon

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2012-10-06

Favorite Season 1 William Hartnell Story and Why Empty
PostSubject: Favorite Season 1 William Hartnell Story and Why   Favorite Season 1 William Hartnell Story and Why EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 1:52 am

Thought it might be a fun discussion if everybody voted on their favorite season 1 William Hartnell story. Next to voting explain why its your favorite. Each week we will move to the next season. Let the voting begin!!
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Season 1 William Hartnell Story and Why   Favorite Season 1 William Hartnell Story and Why EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 8:13 am

I'm going to go with An Unearthly Child. Unlike a lot of shows, Doctor Who's pilot actually withstands the test of time being intelligently written with defined characters and a sense of mystery that is slowly unraveled over the course of the episode.

Also because I don't think they've ever topped that initial burst into the TARDIS.

And unlike a lot of fans, I actually really enjoy the caveman story that accompanies it. It helps set the tone and formula for the show, and despite the stereotypical halting accents and superstitious nature, the cave people are far from being stupid - which is amazing to see. The only thing that separates the main cave people characters to say Ian and Barbara is knowledge.

All in all, a wonderful adventure and the start of a grand voyage that's lasted nearly 50 years.
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7000
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Season 1 William Hartnell Story and Why   Favorite Season 1 William Hartnell Story and Why EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 1:45 pm

I went with The Keys of Marinus.

One of the first Hartnell stories I ever watched and one of the most epic! The Voords were pretty cool looking, too.
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 6151
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Season 1 William Hartnell Story and Why   Favorite Season 1 William Hartnell Story and Why EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 1:53 pm

The first vote for Keys to Marinus was mine, and nice that it was the first. Figured I would be solo on that one.

The big appeal to me is the quest aspect- not only having a myriad of different locations and mini-adventures, but having everyone split up meant that we got to have the companions showcased more than usual and be the prime movers.

Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7000
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Season 1 William Hartnell Story and Why   Favorite Season 1 William Hartnell Story and Why EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 1:57 pm

Cruel Angel wrote:
The first vote for Keys to Marinus was mine, and nice that it was the first. Figured I would be solo on that one.

YANA
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6853
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Season 1 William Hartnell Story and Why   Favorite Season 1 William Hartnell Story and Why EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 2:57 pm

Voted for The Edge of Destruction. First episode of Unearthy Child was an amazing way to introduce the series, and The Daleks is, in my opinion, the best Dalek story. But The Edge of Destruction really nails some of the uncommon dangers of traveling in the TARDIS, something the new series hasn't really addressed. So, while I do love other stories, I'll give this one my mark as favorite for it being unique.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Season 1 William Hartnell Story and Why   Favorite Season 1 William Hartnell Story and Why EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 3:49 pm

I voted for The Aztecs.

It is the first time that The Doctor confronts a companion about not changing history, not that this is something that would last long. Hartnell has his first hint of softness with Cameca. It is also quite intelligently written, and even though there are some historical inaccuracies, those are not a problem as they are mostly due to considerations for the family audience it was aimed at. All of the characters are fully fleshed out and have strong motivations. The real 'villain' is actually Barbara for her desire to interfere with the Aztec culture in an attempt to civilize them. Tlotoxl is actually the hero as he is defending his people and their way of life from an 'invader' the false goddess.

Damnit, now I have to go put this one in and watch it again! lol!
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Season 1 William Hartnell Story and Why   Favorite Season 1 William Hartnell Story and Why EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 4:08 pm

The Aztecs

Epic, historical, lots of wonderful plots and subplots, great sets and costumes.

Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Season 1 William Hartnell Story and Why   Favorite Season 1 William Hartnell Story and Why EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 4:47 pm

jaredofmo wrote:
Voted for The Edge of Destruction. First episode of Unearthy Child was an amazing way to introduce the series, and The Daleks is, in my opinion, the best Dalek story. But The Edge of Destruction really nails some of the uncommon dangers of traveling in the TARDIS, something the new series hasn't really addressed. So, while I do love other stories, I'll give this one my mark as favorite for it being unique.

I agree and I am going with this one too. At first, I thought The Daleks, as this episode is the one that made Doctor Who a hit. But I think this is the one that made the first TARDIS Team of The Doctor, Susan, Ian and Barbara a crew,that could work together in a crisis(eventually). By the end of this adventure, they were no longer strangers,but a group of friends who would do anything for each other. Thus began the Doctor/Companion(s) relationship we have seen since then.

Of course,if they ever find Marco Polo,that could change!
Back to top Go down
The Daemon
The Daemon

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2012-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Season 1 William Hartnell Story and Why   Favorite Season 1 William Hartnell Story and Why EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 7:58 pm

My choice is the "Pilot" for "An Unearthly Child". I also think the doctor couldn't have been introduced any better. In the pilot episode the 1st Doctor is quite a bit more abrasive than he was in the broadcast episode. Its not without some things that differ from what we now know of the tardis. Susan claimed she made that name up,so I guess the other timelords felt peer pressure and officially made them Tardis type 40 or whatever. Is Susan a timelord also? Grandfather reference never explained. All in all though its the very first and without it well.....we wouldn't be voting on this.
Back to top Go down
neogeo
neogeo

Number of posts : 2159
Registration date : 2010-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Season 1 William Hartnell Story and Why   Favorite Season 1 William Hartnell Story and Why EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 11:58 pm

It may be cliched, but I voted The Daleks as first, closely followed by Keys and then Unearthly Child. My first intro to Dr Who was actually Doctor Who and the Daleks on late night TV, months before I even knew there was a TV show. Speaking of which, I think I tracked down the exact date that I came upon the TV show. Checking with my PBS station back then, I found out that they began airing Dr Who on April 26, 1981 (I thought it was earlier by a year or two, but it has been a long time), and began their run with the Key to Time season. That, I think, was followed by S13, and as the first two stories I remember were Pyramids of Mars & Brain of Morbius, it was likely when Pyramids would have aired on June 21, 1981 that I found the TV show. And, I found out that the Sunday airings started at 10AM, so it looks like I can pinpoint my intro to DW proper as Sunday 10AM, April 26, 1981. Good times, good times ... Cool
Back to top Go down
mysterylad
mysterylad

Number of posts : 1660
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Season 1 William Hartnell Story and Why   Favorite Season 1 William Hartnell Story and Why EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 12:42 am

I really dig this season as a whole, so picking one was a challenge. I ultimately chose The Keys of Marinus simply by virtue of its being the first real DW epic, and there being so many fun elements to the story. Shame the Voord never came back.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cmichaelhall.com
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Season 1 William Hartnell Story and Why   Favorite Season 1 William Hartnell Story and Why EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 10:02 am

neogeo wrote:
Speaking of which, I think I tracked down the exact date that I came upon the TV show.

July 29, 1982 for me,with the second part of "The Ribos Operation" on WILL-TV,Urbana,IL.

I used this site to find out when it was:
http://gallifreybase.com/w/index.php/Category:Airdates

I also found that WILL was the first to broadcast Pertwee's entire run in the US! I think I have figured out that my distant memory of seeing Pertwee did indeed happen in a hotel in Iowa as we drove to South Dakota for vacation,as the Iowa PBS had it in 1974!
Back to top Go down
masterkhan
masterkhan

Number of posts : 631
Registration date : 2011-10-14

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Season 1 William Hartnell Story and Why   Favorite Season 1 William Hartnell Story and Why EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 12:05 pm

The first story is the best ever Dr Who story.
The 'interior' Tardis sound effect just as Barbara runs through the doors and you hear the birth of the humming tone, starting with an electronic scream that i haven't heard since.
The Doctor is 'seen' smoking a pipe, the only time ,lol.
Excellent way to start watching a marathon and this story wins to that account 10/10.
Back to top Go down
squishy
squishy

Number of posts : 2483
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Season 1 William Hartnell Story and Why   Favorite Season 1 William Hartnell Story and Why EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 12:40 pm

The Daleks

I enjoy them all and the original TARDIS crew is still my favorite, but the Daleks has great teamwork and has Daleks! Although if you had to pick just one episode, then An Unearthly Child is the standout. I like the cavemen, but over multiple episodes I think the Daleks win.
Back to top Go down
Bob1963
Bob1963

Number of posts : 1276
Registration date : 2012-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Season 1 William Hartnell Story and Why   Favorite Season 1 William Hartnell Story and Why EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 7:37 pm

I went with The Dead Planet is it was the first story to take place ona totaly aien world and the chance to see how the Doctor met his greatest foes for the very first time
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 6151
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Season 1 William Hartnell Story and Why   Favorite Season 1 William Hartnell Story and Why EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 7:41 pm

Nice to see Marinus having lots of love...

So when do we get a season 2 poll? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Invisible Supreme
Invisible Supreme

Number of posts : 2167
Registration date : 2010-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Season 1 William Hartnell Story and Why   Favorite Season 1 William Hartnell Story and Why EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 8:03 pm

I picked the Daleks, because It's such an important part of the show's history, and because of the daleks in it. They seem to be more socially savvy, and more cunning than they were in later episodes.
Back to top Go down
Shatterbang
Shatterbang

Number of posts : 580
Registration date : 2010-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Season 1 William Hartnell Story and Why   Favorite Season 1 William Hartnell Story and Why EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 3:35 pm

Of these, The Aztecs.

But Time Meddler is my favorite, followed by The Romans, and then The Chase.
Back to top Go down
http://emerdelac.wordpress.com

Favorite Season 1 William Hartnell Story and Why
Page 1 of 1