18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
The Castellan
The Castellan

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2010-06-11

Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 6:27 am

Rust wrote:
My problem with Star Trek V comes from the fact the crew - like Chekov and Sulu - betray Kirk at the drop of a hat after having "their pain taken away".

These are the same folks that threw their careers away to go after Spock with Kirk in Star Trek III.

I didn't buy it.

Well, Sybok managed to get an entire group of followers to capture the representatives of Nimbus 3.
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7003
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 9:55 am

Rust wrote:
My problem with Star Trek V comes from the fact the crew - like Chekov and Sulu - betray Kirk at the drop of a hat after having "their pain taken away".

These are the same folks that threw their careers away to go after Spock with Kirk in Star Trek III.

I didn't buy it.

Well...it was more than just taking away their pain...it was brainwashing and mind control.
Back to top Go down
Evil Monkey Pope
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 2207
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 3:32 pm

We have a "General Star Trek" thread now & y'all are still discussing classic Trek in the one for the reboot's sequel?!
Back to top Go down
https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
Rust
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 4:40 pm

SeaDevil wrote:
Rust wrote:

I didn't buy it.

Well...it was more than just taking away their pain...it was brainwashing and mind control.

If that's true, then why didn't it work on McCoy and Spock?

The answer? Nimoy and Kelly refused to the point and threatening to walk if Shatner didn't change the script. The original draft had Kirk as "One Man, Alone" with the rest of the crew turned against him in Sybok's quest. Nimoy and Kelly wouldn't have it, and thus we're presented with a quandry of if those two couldn't be brainwashed, then why everyone else?

Chekov more then anyone showed the fallout of Part IV. He was the first officer aboard the Reliant in Part II, and as far as we know through the films, he was never anything other then a tactical officer for the remainder of his career. Heck, Sulu got a command - and the plum command of the fleet to boot - before Chekov.

But Chekov never showed any bitterness over this fact - a willingly paid for price to help his shipmates.

I'm sorry, if the brainwashing can be combated through loyalty, then Sybok shouldn't have managed to corral any of the officers aboard Enterprise.
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 4:51 pm

Evil Monkey Pope wrote:
We have a "General Star Trek" thread now & y'all are still discussing classic Trek in the one for the reboot's sequel?!

Believe me, talking about TOS is safer then getting onto my feelings of the rest of the franchise. Laughing

But if you want the condensed version...

The Next Generation: Fun, but flawed and beyond the stand out episodes and personal favorites, nigh unwatchable now-a-days.

Deep Space Nine: Poor Man's Babylon 5. Or, for those familiar with their movies, The Asylum's Babylon 5 (Asylum being the makers of such fine products as Metal Man, Transmorphers, and Snakes on a Train)

Voyager: How do you make a series about being stuck seventy years away from friendly territory boring and mundane. And hey, Janeway brought the ship back with nary a scratch on her. I remember when the show started, expending Photon Torpedoes was a major tactical decision since they only had twenty something aboard. I think they went through that many in the first season alone.

Enterprise: Season One was boring. Seasons Two and Three were a mess. Season Four was a fanwanky mess.
Back to top Go down
Evil Monkey Pope
Evil Monkey Pope

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 5:36 pm

I meant why are you still discussing non-reboot stuff here when a non-reboot thread was set up to get this topic beack on the reboot track?
Back to top Go down
mattmanw54301
mattmanw54301

Number of posts : 1274
Registration date : 2007-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 6:15 pm

See, Evil Monkey Pope gets it. I wanted to kind of separate the JJ Trek news/discussion from the Prime Universe Trek discussion.
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 9:29 am

Quite right.

This thread should be for the sequel to the JJ Abrams Star Trek movie.

Please continue all other Star Trek topics to the General Star Trek Discussion thread...

https://whona.forumotion.com/t8217-general-star-trek-thread

SeaDevil, Moderator
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 9:38 am

All Hail the M-5 Multitronic moderator unit!
Back to top Go down
Evil Monkey Pope
Evil Monkey Pope

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 7:01 pm

I'm disappointed that Deep Roy isn't returning as Keenser. He added some visual diversity to the crew of typical humanoids.
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 7:04 pm

Whoosier Whovian wrote:

"Sterilize...STERILIZE!!!"

Laughing

Back to top Go down
mattmanw54301
mattmanw54301

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 7:49 pm

Speaking of the M-5. Rumor has it that Noel Clarke is in fact playing Dr. Richard Daystrom. Could be interesting. We still don't know who Benedict is playing either. Friggin' secrecy.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 8:25 pm

SeaDevil wrote:
Whoosier Whovian wrote:

Laughing

Um, wrong meglomaniacal machine. You are definitly NOT a trekkie!
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 6151
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 8:29 pm

Whoosier Whovian wrote:
SeaDevil wrote:
Whoosier Whovian wrote:

Laughing

Fail. Gotta turn in the comm badge...

Back to top Go down
mattmanw54301
mattmanw54301

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 8:29 pm

Whoosier Whovian wrote:

meglomaniacal

Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion - Page 4 Dr_who_meglos
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 8:41 pm

Whoosier Whovian wrote:
SeaDevil wrote:
Whoosier Whovian wrote:

Laughing

Wow...how embarrassingly wrong... Embarassed "I must be getting senile..."

Still...NOMAD might be a better comparison...

Back to top Go down
Evil Monkey Pope
Evil Monkey Pope

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 5:02 am

http://io9.com/5963513/first-official-synopsis-for-star-trek-into-darkness-includes-major-villain-hints
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 5:09 am

...how does one "detonate" a fleet? Seriously, that synopsis is just words, without any sort of context.

What *might* be gleaned from it:

Quote :
When the crew of the Enterprise is called back home, they find an unstoppable force of terror from within their own organization

Section 31 is a possibility here.

Quote :
has detonated the fleet and everything it stands for

*twitch*

Beyond being the kind of engrish I expect out of phishing e-mails, if this leads to another "the fleet is destroyed" sort of things I will be sorely disappointed. At the same time, it would explain why the Enterprise is always the only ship in the quadrant.

Quote :
leaving our world in a state of crisis.

It didn't work in the Xindi Arc, it's not going to work here. When are writers going to realize Earth should not be the center of the Star Trek universe? You've got Faster Than Light travel...Sol could nova and Humanity should be scattered across countless worlds. The reason the Mass Effect series managed to do a "Earth in Peril" storyline is because that was one small battlefield across the entire galaxy and you got to see other home worlds being harvested.

Quote :
With a personal score to settle, Captain Kirk leads a manhunt to a war-zone world to capture a one man weapon of mass destruction.

What the heck is a "War-zone world"? Are M Class Planets so cheap you can afford to turn it into a giant paintball court?

Also "one man weapon of mass destruction". Either he's chasing Goku, or this is some seriously flowery language on par with a high school fan fic. If the Section 31 idea above is correct, it's possible its a agent that has undergone genetic engineering - possibly even a full blown genetic superman specifically created by Section 31.

That or Benedict Cumberbatch is playing the Human Bomb.

Quote :
As our heroes are propelled into an epic chess game of life and death,

A 13 year old wrote this, I'm fairly sure. I'm a fan of chess, but the real interesting games are never "epic".

Quote :
love will be challenged,

Aww. Uhura and Spock have a fight.

Quote :
friendships will be torn apart,

Aww. Kirk and McCoy have a disagreement.

Quote :
and sacrifices must be made for the only family Kirk has left: his crew.

Kali Ma! Wait, no.

Though that along with Kirk having a "personal score to settle", seems to be pretty clear Kirk's mom dies in this one. Probably a victim of the Sand People. Wink

So all I can glean from this really is they're going to be borrowing heavily the themes from the episode Obsession with Cumberbatch playing the part of the Blood Drinking Cloud Monster.
Back to top Go down
The Castellan
The Castellan

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 6:40 am

I smell snooze fest.
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 7:24 am

Have to agree. Unless the Trailers really "wow" me, this sounds like a phoned in sequel.

Personally, I wish they'd find the balance they had back in Star Trek VI. A action-thriller for the general movie crowd, but with enough character moments and in-depth look at the universe to sate the fan's appetite for geekitude. For myself, Star Trek VI is when the movie franchise peaked.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 9:22 am

Rust wrote:
Have to agree. Unless the Trailers really "wow" me, this sounds like a phoned in sequel.

Personally, I wish they'd find the balance they had back in Star Trek VI. A action-thriller for the general movie crowd, but with enough character moments and in-depth look at the universe to sate the fan's appetite for geekitude. For myself, Star Trek VI is when the movie franchise peaked.

True, NOTHING beats a Shakespeare quoting Klingon as a bad guy! And Sulu's Fly her apart quote!

I hope this is a badly written synopsis and not a badly written movie. But I have never enjoyed anything JJ has done, so I am going with the second choice.

Meanwhile,time to dig out my Star Trek:Titan books and see what Captain Riker is doing.
Back to top Go down
jonwes
jonwes

Number of posts : 4627
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 10:06 am

I'm not going to put to much thought into whether this will be good or bad based on the synopsis, frankly.
Back to top Go down
Calixar
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 11:29 am

But still, Rust's breakdown of the synopsis is good stuff.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikaljohnson.com
mattmanw54301
mattmanw54301

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 5:04 pm

Quote :
has detonated the fleet and everything it stands for

Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion - Page 4 3q0mdp
Back to top Go down
mattmanw54301
mattmanw54301

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion   Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 6:16 pm

Rust wrote:
...how does one "detonate" a fleet? Seriously, that synopsis is just words, without any sort of context.

I remember a Trek book I read where a group of evil aliens secretly planted nanobots at various starbases, and over the course of a year, they spread to almost the entire fleet. They were designed to de-stabilize the dylithium crystals, destroying the ships. They were so small there was no way to detect them, and the damage they did was almost undetectable as well. Perhaps if Cumberbatch's character is in a position like a Section 31 leader, he presumably could have sabotaged large numbers of ships.

There definitely have been some darker undercurrents of Starfleet secrets in the comics line. Admiral Pike has been warned in no uncertain terms that Kirk is wandering too close to certain things that must remain secret. And Scotty has mentioned several times that the Enterprise is way overdue for engine maintenance. Maybe their busy schedule will save them from whatever calamity will 'detonate' the other ships.
Back to top Go down

Star Trek Into Darkness Discussion
Page 4 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next