Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeSearchRegisterLog inThe Who North America Online StoreLatest images

Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love!

Go down 
+20
Whovian
Sabalom Glitz
bret_owen99
SeaDevil
rdks
Doctor Detroit
happydalek
Gunny
artanyus
Shatterbang
amagon
Rust
terrasolo
Calixar
Ronpur
jaredofmo
mysterylad
Vicki
^o^CORVUS^o^
RevClaire
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love! - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love!   Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love! - Page 7 EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 3:55 pm

artanyus wrote:
Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love! - Page 7 Mcgann2-1

Eight is just awesome. He is very emotional, and I love that about him.

This really captures a lot of who he is. Passionate, caring, and lovable.

Agreed. Very loving, passionate, and caring. All the wonderful traits of the Doctor, sprinkled with that touch of insanity, arrogance, and craziness.
~
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love!   Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love! - Page 7 EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 6:32 pm

Again, please delete this thread.

~
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love!   Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love! - Page 7 EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 9:06 pm

a1cmustangpilot wrote:
Again, please delete this thread.

~

No, no! Why do you want it deleted, a1c? McGann is awesome and despite other's opinions, this thread is for those who love him, right? We should stick by him! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
{Bad Wolf}
{Bad Wolf}

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2010-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love!   Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love! - Page 7 EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 12:20 am

a1cmustangpilot wrote:
Oh, since I couldn't quite say this on the comms without fear of getting my head bitten off as a result (seriously you'd think Eight was Edward Cullen or something), I'll say it here since there are plenty of Eight fans...

EIGHT IS CANON!

~

ROFL!!!!!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/The.Legend.Of.Zelda.TwilightPrincess
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love!   Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love! - Page 7 EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 12:25 am

You should see Forgotten. Almost as gripping and amazing as Mother Love that starred Diana Rigg.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love!   Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love! - Page 7 EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 1:12 am

Hoosier Whovian wrote:
You should see Forgotten. Almost as gripping and amazing as Mother Love that starred Diana Rigg.

Is that movie aquirable in the US? Also, what kind of role does he play? There are some aspects to movies that I like to avoid at all costs like certain deaths freak me out for weeks, even if it's a minor character.

Death by drowning, and they show it and/or aftermath or death by fire, showing it. I can tolerate it up to a point in military movies (ie "Pearl Harbor" and "We Were Soldiers") but it's hard. Uh, movies that show rape I cannot watch at all. I'm also iffy about sexual content, so that has to be at least warned for. I'm not saying that this movie has any of that, just that these are my general problem areas. Smile
~
Back to top Go down
The 2nd Doctor Roberts
The 2nd Doctor Roberts

Number of posts : 1163
Registration date : 2009-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love!   Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love! - Page 7 EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 5:46 am

According to the Amazon listing, "Forgotten" features a Paul McGann with a dark past. It seems to feature the death of at least one young girl, plus adultery, kidnapping, murder and a disturbing ending. Perhaps it's for the best that the DVD appears to be out-of-print.

As for me, I suddenly need to see "Collision".

a1cmustangpilot wrote:
Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love! - Page 7 Whatdoyouthink-1

~

I wonder if McGann is in this movie and if I'll notice that he's there.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love!   Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love! - Page 7 EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 5:55 am

The 2nd Doctor Roberts wrote:
According to the Amazon listing, "Forgotten" features a Paul McGann with a dark past. It seems to feature the death of at least one young girl, plus adultery, kidnapping, murder and a disturbing ending. Perhaps it's for the best that the DVD appears to be out-of-print.

As for me, I suddenly need to see "Collision".

a1cmustangpilot wrote:

~

I wonder if McGann is in this movie and if I'll notice that he's there.

Yeesh, something I'll avoid then. I'm not entirely for fluffy endings, but stuff like that is a definite no-go for me. I just can't deal with types of movies like that because it can depress me for weeks. Not only that, but having my favourite actor playing the bad guy who does that kind of horrible stuff tends to mess with my mind more than it ought to, so I avoid it if I can.

That's not to say that I don't enjoy McGann's snobby characters like in "Three Musketeers" and his horribly cruel character in "Kidnapped". I just kind of want to see more good-natured characters.

"Collision"... yeah, you'll notice him. You have to be flat-out ignoring McGann to not notice him.
~
Back to top Go down
The 2nd Doctor Roberts
The 2nd Doctor Roberts

PostSubject: Re: Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love!   Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love! - Page 7 EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 6:00 am

Also, "Withnail and I" starring both 8th and 9th Wink Doctors available on Blu-Ray August 24!
Back to top Go down
The 2nd Doctor Roberts
The 2nd Doctor Roberts

PostSubject: Re: Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love!   Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love! - Page 7 EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 6:03 am

a1cmustangpilot wrote:
"Collision"... yeah, you'll notice him. You have to be flat-out ignoring McGann to not notice him.
~

Well, I might find my attention drawn elsewhere, that's all I mean. I'll leave it at that.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love!   Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love! - Page 7 EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 6:09 am

The 2nd Doctor Roberts wrote:
a1cmustangpilot wrote:
~

Well, I might find my attention drawn elsewhere, that's all I mean. I'll leave it at that.

Lucy Griffiths?

~
Back to top Go down
The 2nd Doctor Roberts
The 2nd Doctor Roberts

PostSubject: Re: Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love!   Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love! - Page 7 EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 6:17 am

a1cmustangpilot wrote:

~

Upon further review of this photo, I'd have to say yes.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love!   Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love! - Page 7 EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 8:07 pm

Well I wound up getting "The One That Got Away" on dvd but I don't know when I'll be able to watch it. It's got both Paul McGann (playing the lead) and David Morrissey. I loved the screentime that both had in "Our Mutual Friend", for both McGann's sneering remarks and Morrissey's look of contempt and hurt.

~
Back to top Go down
artanyus
artanyus

Number of posts : 1513
Registration date : 2010-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love!   Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love! - Page 7 EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 12:57 am

a1cmustangpilot wrote:
Well I wound up getting "The One That Got Away" on dvd but I don't know when I'll be able to watch it. It's got both Paul McGann (playing the lead) and David Morrissey. I loved the screentime that both had in "Our Mutual Friend", for both McGann's sneering remarks and Morrissey's look of contempt and hurt.

~

hmm How was "Our Mutual Friend"? I might be interested in finding that to watch, as well as possibly "The One That Got Away"
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love!   Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love! - Page 7 EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 3:05 am

artanyus wrote:
a1cmustangpilot wrote:

~

hmm How was "Our Mutual Friend"? I might be interested in finding that to watch, as well as possibly "The One That Got Away"

As I said, I skipped around it. I can't handle one scene, and probably not another... so it's really iffy. If I watch it, I'd rather watch it alone.

~
Back to top Go down
Yrcanos

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love!   Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love! - Page 7 EmptySun Jan 01, 2012 3:31 pm

Guest wrote:
I've noticed in a few DW comms that there is an awful amount of dislike (and possible hate) against the 1996 "Doctor Who" movie. Sometimes it's based purely on the fact that it was made by the US, but a majority of the ones who dislike the movie and reject Eight as canon seem to do so because of the "half-human" remark that both the Doctor and the Master made. Personally, I'm not sure what the big deal is about that remark anyways.

I've heard that people accept Eight as canon as far as the fact that he existed and seven regenerated into him, but everything else, his adventures onscreen and in the audios, are non-canon.

I find that amusing, because if that is possible to do, to reject everything about Eight and Eight himself, then I reject Eleven entirely based on the fact that I just don't like him.

...kidding... Rolling Eyes
~
I've seen this for some time now myself and it seems to boil down to a division between Whovians of old and new fans of the new series. Never before have I seen anyone call out "canon vs non-canon" until the new show came about. These folks reject anything non TV and anything that might seem to "contradict" the new show. This saddens me.

The half human bit is canon and makes perfect sense. The Master even says "no wonder..." and I agreed way back in 96 and I still see it. Makes perfect sense considering his companions, his love and devotion to Earth and all humanity, his dress... it all makes perfect sense. Ulysses fell in love with Penelope, an Earth woman and facilitated the Loom of Lungbarrow to have a child. This human DNA attracted the Other who at the time was still strung out in the loom.

I'm not fond of folks who reject 14+ years of Doctor Who because the BBC didn't make it on the TV. Most folks who get in to this arguement seem to be more or less bigger fans of Mr. Davies than that of Doctor Who in general. There is a rich history in Doctor Who and much of that is not in the form of television. I see no reason to reject the Virgin New Adventures, Missing Anventures and the BBC Eighth Doctor and Past Doctor Adventures. But when all you have to go on is RTD's story line and selected bits of the classic series, you miss out on a big huge chunk of the Doctor's life. So saying that chunk "doesn't count", all due respect, means folks love it enough to consider themselves experts, without having to actually read the novels or listen to the audios.

McGann was and still is my favorite Doctor. Although I was exited about the new show and Eccleston did a great job in the role, I was really miffed with Davies in that he pretty much rejected the entire collective works that were produced throughout the wilderness years. We Whovians of old (especially in the States) who were doing our best to keep up with the adventures of the good Doctor that cover nearly 1000 of the Doctor's life in his 7th and 8th incarnations in the novels and audios, and then suddenly Davies comes along and writes it all out of the new show, even going so far as to write the Doctor as a younger man than he was when the show left with Survivor. As much as Davies did us fans a great deed by bringing Doctor Who in to modern popular culture, in many ways he did a great injusticve to those writers and producers who worked so hard to keep the story going when BBC TV didn't think it was worth the effort.

As far as rejecting the 8th Doctor, again this is RTD fandom talking and not Whovians. Yes there is an 8th Doctor. Yes it's Paul McGann. Yes he's "half" human and yes all performances of McGann in TV and audio count as cannon, just as all his novels and the others are too. It was Davies that detatched the new series from alll other Doctor Who media, including the classic series. If you wanna get technical, none of the new series directly ties in to the novels, which tie in to the classic series perfectly, smoothly and faithfully to the genre.

Big Finish ROCKS!

Back to top Go down

Eighth Doctor, canon... needs some love!
Page 7 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Doctor Who Discussion-
Jump to: