10 posters
AuthorMessage
greenk9
greenk9

Number of posts : 1313
Registration date : 2007-10-20

rumour mill Empty
PostSubject: rumour mill   rumour mill EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 12:37 pm

While trolling thru the net- I found an article that RT Davies, Tranter and Gardner are set to do a pilot for Torchwood for the FOX network. Of course there is speculation for an American WHO, but this is just rumour. Does not seem to far fetched..

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3id183d5e80b48e57c2e6102a3f94da557
Back to top Go down
greenk9
greenk9

Number of posts : 1313
Registration date : 2007-10-20

rumour mill Empty
PostSubject: Re: rumour mill   rumour mill EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 12:37 pm

p.s. I really think dw should stay in the uk.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

rumour mill Empty
PostSubject: Re: rumour mill   rumour mill EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 12:55 pm

A US torchwood would sit much better with me than a US Doctor Who
Back to top Go down
jonwes
jonwes

Number of posts : 4627
Registration date : 2007-02-01

rumour mill Empty
PostSubject: Re: rumour mill   rumour mill EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 1:03 pm

Yep, US Torchwood would be fine. It makes sense as part of the established universe. Certainly if they have all-new stories and don't try to rehash the old ones (which I don't think they'd do.) It could be a pretty cool proposition. It'd also be smart as there may not be enough money for Torchwood to continue in the UK.

US Doctor Who seems... well, slightly pointless.
Back to top Go down
terrasolo
terrasolo

Number of posts : 1485
Registration date : 2007-03-06

rumour mill Empty
PostSubject: Re: rumour mill   rumour mill EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 1:19 pm

Ah, but would it be part of the Who Universe? The rumors also suggest that Jack will be in it. A cameo maybe, or a US reboot?

I could deal with a US Torchwood, although Tochwood was sanctioned by the queen, so they would need to figure out how the US version would work. I would like it very much if they had little hints to the UK series and maybe even Doctor Who, but to reboot it for the US would just be pointless to me.

And a remake of Doctor Who, not so wise.
Back to top Go down
http://www.kasterborous.com
rdks
rdks

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2008-08-22

rumour mill Empty
PostSubject: Re: rumour mill   rumour mill EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 1:31 pm

American Who would be ridiculous. It wouldn't last very long and in 10-15 years we'd be arguing if it's canon or not. Peter Cushing for the younger generation Laughing

Torchwood might work. It should sever all ties with Who. Doesn't need it anymore. It can stand on it's own just fine.
Back to top Go down
LakeErieMonster
LakeErieMonster

Number of posts : 581
Registration date : 2007-02-05

rumour mill Empty
PostSubject: Re: rumour mill   rumour mill EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 3:09 pm

USTorchwood I think would be very viable. I think they should give solid link or nod to the UK forefather. WHO in the books and UK show should visit the US more, I mean seriously how many alien invasions can occur in the UK? The rift at least helped with the excuse. As for a US reboot, does anyone remeber the movie, a ratings flop I believe, regardless of whether you liked it or not.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

rumour mill Empty
PostSubject: Re: rumour mill   rumour mill EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 3:12 pm

We already have a US Torchwood, it's called Fringe! Wink
Back to top Go down
mumbojumbo21
mumbojumbo21

Number of posts : 381
Registration date : 2008-02-11

rumour mill Empty
PostSubject: Re: rumour mill   rumour mill EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 3:52 pm

I would feel much better if RTD wasn't the main scriptwriter. Maybe serve as a guide of the details of the Torchwood universe but not involve in the direction of the scriptwriting itself.

Considering the large amounts of advertisements BBC America must've done for TW: CoE and still generated an average of 700k viewers per episode, I don't see it doing well mainstream.
Back to top Go down
http://www.libriumarcana.com/phpBB2/
jonwes
jonwes

Number of posts : 4627
Registration date : 2007-02-01

rumour mill Empty
PostSubject: Re: rumour mill   rumour mill EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 3:56 pm

mumbojumbo21 wrote:
I would feel much better if RTD wasn't the main scriptwriter. Maybe serve as a guide of the details of the Torchwood universe but not involve in the direction of the scriptwriting itself.

Considering the large amounts of advertisements BBC America must've done for TW: CoE and still generated an average of 700k viewers per episode, I don't see it doing well mainstream.

But RTD created the show. And he was heavily involved in COE, it's most critically lauded installment. And also, it broke ratings records for BBC America. It was a huge hit for them. It could do even better on FOX. You have to remember most places BBC America is not a basic cable channel, but part of an extended package.
Back to top Go down
mumbojumbo21
mumbojumbo21

Number of posts : 381
Registration date : 2008-02-11

rumour mill Empty
PostSubject: Re: rumour mill   rumour mill EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 4:14 pm

Indeed it is, I said it would make me feel better if it was like that. If anything, RTD needs people on his staff to disagree with him because the way he's done the series finales for DW and "Children of Earth" could've taken a couple no's.

Regardless, Fox hasn't even ordered a pilot so the script RTD is writing has to pass muster.
Back to top Go down
http://www.libriumarcana.com/phpBB2/
Yana34
Yana34

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2010-02-09

rumour mill Empty
PostSubject: Re: rumour mill   rumour mill EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 4:21 pm

I just finished Children of the Earth last evening. Blown away and probably some of the most compelling TV I've seen in a long while. That being said, I also think a Torchwood USA might work. As long as they keep the attachment to it's birth in the UK. Who knows, if FOX greenlight's the series they can probably find a reason to have Torchwood branch out around the globe (US mainly) following the events of the "4,5,6" and have the team newly established in the US.

Doctor Who is a different matter--he needs to remain in the UK. Just to think Harrison Ford, Tom Hanks and Jim Carrey were all asked to play the Doctor in the '96 TV movie. Each of them graciously declined as they TOO realized that the Doctor needs to be a Britt or...at least.. someone with an English accent (sorry Costner Laughing )
Back to top Go down
gregtdj
gregtdj

Number of posts : 398
Registration date : 2007-06-19

rumour mill Empty
PostSubject: Re: rumour mill   rumour mill EmptySat Feb 20, 2010 12:47 am

Allow me to interject my thoughts on the matter by giving you three words to consider on this topic.

Life on Mars

I like Torchwood, especially the way Captain Jack has redefined their goal to no longer be a group after the Doctor as it was commissioned to be. The idea that he turned it into a group to deal with the threat posed by the rift and to stop the things that come through. But I also like the fact that it's not been screwed up by American television. Life on Mars came to the US and not just sucked, but sucked hard. Life on Mars worked because of it's roots and when they tried to change those roots for American viewers to better gel with, they failed. Epic Fail.

Torchwood's roots are in the Whoniverse and lots of it's tech and alien lore come from the Whoniverse. If you attempt to separate the two, you end up with a show about aliens and a group that deals with investigating and dealing with them and their tech. First show would get panned as trying to be the next X-files or a weekly version of Men in Black, only grittier. Pretty soon they would start tinkering with it and changing it until it became something that original Torchwood fans would not enjoy and it would be canceled.

Yes, I'm aware that this would be on Fox, but for Fox viewers let me remind you of the fate of Sarah Connor: The Terminator Chronicles - gone. Sad part of that one was it had higher ratings than Doll House and they canceled it for Doll House, which is now also canceled. Doesn't matter the network, for some reason they all seem to have trouble with the science fiction/fantasy related area. Good shows that have appeal, don't generate the instant ratings they crave and they boot them. NBC:Journeyman - gone; CBS: Eleventh Hour - gone; ABC:Flash Forward - on hiatus until march 4th, no wait, now march 18th, no wait it's going...going...

I guess if I had a point to this wandering thought it would be "leave my Torchwood alone!" I don't want to think about the unspeakable acts American television might perpetrate on one of the few sci-fi shows I can still enjoy. If it has to move to America, make it BBC America. At least there the worst that can happen is bad commercial placement.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

rumour mill Empty
PostSubject: Re: rumour mill   rumour mill EmptySat Feb 20, 2010 1:11 am

Here is a question some of you can answer for me, and then I will elabortate with why I am asking it.

Have you ever heard of 'The Avengers'?
(Patrick Macnee - Diana Rigg)
Back to top Go down
Calixar
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

rumour mill Empty
PostSubject: Re: rumour mill   rumour mill EmptySat Feb 20, 2010 11:07 am

Yes. And I used to be part of a Doctor Who forum (on CompuServe) where a user calling herself Mrs Peel actually turned out to be her.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikaljohnson.com

rumour mill
Page 1 of 1