Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeSearchRegisterLog inThe Who North America Online StoreLatest images

2022 Centenary Special: Power of the Doctor

Go down 
3 posters

Centenary Special: Power of the Doctor
Oh, BRILLIANT!!
2022 Centenary Special: Power of the Doctor Vote_lcap40%2022 Centenary Special: Power of the Doctor Vote_rcap
 40% [ 2 ]
Good!
2022 Centenary Special: Power of the Doctor Vote_lcap20%2022 Centenary Special: Power of the Doctor Vote_rcap
 20% [ 1 ]
Okay...
2022 Centenary Special: Power of the Doctor Vote_lcap40%2022 Centenary Special: Power of the Doctor Vote_rcap
 40% [ 2 ]
Bad!
2022 Centenary Special: Power of the Doctor Vote_lcap0%2022 Centenary Special: Power of the Doctor Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
AWFUL!!
2022 Centenary Special: Power of the Doctor Vote_lcap0%2022 Centenary Special: Power of the Doctor Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 5

AuthorMessage
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7003
Registration date : 2009-08-11

2022 Centenary Special: Power of the Doctor Empty
PostSubject: 2022 Centenary Special: Power of the Doctor   2022 Centenary Special: Power of the Doctor EmptyMon Sep 26, 2022 11:48 am

Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

PostSubject: Re: 2022 Centenary Special: Power of the Doctor   2022 Centenary Special: Power of the Doctor EmptyMon Oct 10, 2022 6:43 pm

New trailer...
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

PostSubject: Re: 2022 Centenary Special: Power of the Doctor   2022 Centenary Special: Power of the Doctor EmptyMon Oct 10, 2022 6:47 pm

OK...if THIS doesn't get you at least a little excited for this, I dunno what will...
2022 Centenary Special: Power of the Doctor Image
Back to top Go down
squishy
squishy

Number of posts : 2485
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: 2022 Centenary Special: Power of the Doctor   2022 Centenary Special: Power of the Doctor EmptyWed Oct 12, 2022 6:17 pm

This may be the greatest story of the 13th Doctor Era!

That is an awfully low bar with the way Mr. Chibnall has been buggering things up the past 3 years.  It would be nice if Jodie Whittaker finally got a genuinely good story before she left the role.  Too often there is a whole lot of good stuff, plus quite a bit of questionable malarkey in these Chibnall scripts.

The Flux - Turns out the Doctor's mother has been pulling the strings for thousands, if not millions, of years from behind the scenes.  Decides it is time to end the universe and sends the Flux to eat everything.  When the villains pop into Mom's office, she just stands there dumbfounded and gets zapped without any hint of resistance.  What?  All that build up and it turns out the mastermind of the universe didn't think things through ahead of time.  Sad

Last edited by squishy on Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ted47
Ted47

Number of posts : 436
Registration date : 2012-02-02

PostSubject: Re: 2022 Centenary Special: Power of the Doctor   2022 Centenary Special: Power of the Doctor EmptySat Oct 15, 2022 5:12 pm

Yes, you are right. It's all about the story. I feel I never have to see these ever again. As an example I just watched Tooth Claw which is 16 years ago and I STILL LIKE IT. The new episodes have no re-watch value.
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

PostSubject: Re: 2022 Centenary Special: Power of the Doctor   2022 Centenary Special: Power of the Doctor EmptyMon Oct 24, 2022 1:14 pm

Ok...I actually liked this A LOT!!! Loved all the callbacks and Easter eggs sprinkled throughout, as well as all the surprise appearances. Janet and Sophie as Tegan and Ace were perfect! It was like they never left! As far as the episode itself, it held my interest and had just the right balance of action and emotion befitting a final adventure for a Doctor.
Back to top Go down
Ted47
Ted47

PostSubject: Re: 2022 Centenary Special: Power of the Doctor   2022 Centenary Special: Power of the Doctor EmptyMon Oct 24, 2022 6:02 pm

A nice trip down memory lane. But, I can't believe we still have to wait A YEAR before we see anything new. Oi-vey!!
Back to top Go down
Ted47
Ted47

PostSubject: Re: 2022 Centenary Special: Power of the Doctor   2022 Centenary Special: Power of the Doctor EmptyWed Oct 26, 2022 9:11 am

Looks like I won't be seeing the new show. I'm not paying anymore for all these streaming services. And the show isn't that good anymore anyway.

https://toynewsi.com/414-44908
Back to top Go down
squishy
squishy

Number of posts : 2485
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: 2022 Centenary Special: Power of the Doctor   2022 Centenary Special: Power of the Doctor EmptyWed Oct 26, 2022 6:57 pm

The episode was .. alright.  Certainly there were highs like William Russel back on-screen and the relatively good use of Tegan and Ace.  There were also lows like Polly being absent (which is odd given how enthusiastic she sounds on Big Finish extras).

Chibnall certainly seemed determined to make sure he put his stomp on the series before he finished by trying to rope in as many of his past ideas and putting them right in with a ton of Classic series call-backs.  We had the misuse of the Daleks again (Daleks don't work for anyone) and that darn half-human Cyberman again.  Cyber-Time Lords (and therefore that whole Timeless Children thing) are super-duper canon and can never be ret-conned out now (I suppose).  The Fugitive Doctor was back as was Graham, although they couldn't get Ryan and somewhat unceremoniously pushed Dan out early to make room for everyone else.

It certainly wasn't a train-wreck and I could see Chibnall trying really hard to bring back as many Classic Doctors and Classic companions as he could in some kind of last ditch effort to say "the fans will have to love this".  It was overall okay, but I think there is more charm in The Five Doctors than this spectacle.

Edit to add: the "farewell" was too long. This is becoming "a thing" with the past few Doctors. David Tennant suffered the worst with his endless swansong of a farewell, but Jodie's final scenes also just kept on going. At least they cut away to the companions to see what else was going on as the Doctor finally departed. A big long speech by Jodie saying how much she loved playing the Doctor followed by Rani getting the boot for no other reason than RTD must have other plans for the new Doctor.
Back to top Go down

2022 Centenary Special: Power of the Doctor
Page 1 of 1