Evil Monkey Pope
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Evil Monkey Pope
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 2207
Registration date : 2007-07-16

2016 Christmas Special - The Return of Doctor Mysterio Empty
PostSubject: 2016 Christmas Special - The Return of Doctor Mysterio   2016 Christmas Special - The Return of Doctor Mysterio EmptySat Oct 08, 2016 3:32 am

Last edited by SeaDevil on Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:09 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : added the episode title)
Back to top Go down
https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
squishy
squishy

Number of posts : 2485
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Christmas Special - The Return of Doctor Mysterio   2016 Christmas Special - The Return of Doctor Mysterio EmptySat Oct 08, 2016 3:01 pm

Well that certainly looks ... different.
Back to top Go down
Ben C.
Ben C.

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2014-07-24

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Christmas Special - The Return of Doctor Mysterio   2016 Christmas Special - The Return of Doctor Mysterio EmptyFri Nov 18, 2016 6:48 pm

Sneak peek is up:

"Brains with minds of their own... no one will believe that, this is America."

Laughing
Back to top Go down
squishy
squishy

Number of posts : 2485
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Christmas Special - The Return of Doctor Mysterio   2016 Christmas Special - The Return of Doctor Mysterio EmptyMon Dec 26, 2016 8:59 pm

Entertaining enough, but this Doctor sure does make a lot of wondrous mistakes.
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7003
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Christmas Special - The Return of Doctor Mysterio   2016 Christmas Special - The Return of Doctor Mysterio EmptyMon Dec 26, 2016 10:55 pm

Utterly forgetful.

I'm convinced Moff has no new ideas.

On the upside, Peter Capaldi can still rise above the crap and come out smelling great.
Back to top Go down
Brain of Davros
Brain of Davros

Number of posts : 1279
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Christmas Special - The Return of Doctor Mysterio   2016 Christmas Special - The Return of Doctor Mysterio EmptyTue Dec 27, 2016 5:17 am

I'm watching it now and over an hour in and I'm bored to tears. Crying or Very sad

Moff has all but ruined one of the best Sci Fi genres of all time.

I hope they start from scratch after he's gone

Ending was meh,I give the episode a 2.

BTW anyone know what issue of Superman that was?Looked like John Byrne artwork from mid to late 80s,maybe Man of Steel?
Back to top Go down
Ted47
Ted47

Number of posts : 436
Registration date : 2012-02-02

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Christmas Special - The Return of Doctor Mysterio   2016 Christmas Special - The Return of Doctor Mysterio EmptyTue Dec 27, 2016 9:35 am

Unfortunately I feel the same way. I'd rank this as the worst
episode of the X-mas specials. "Last Christmas" was also a stinker.
Ironically I just watched "The Husbands of River Song" again the day
before and I really enjoyed that one.
Strange that they used the same aliens from that special. They didn't
work in this one though.

Do we have a poll here for favorite X-mas specials?
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Christmas Special - The Return of Doctor Mysterio   2016 Christmas Special - The Return of Doctor Mysterio EmptyTue Dec 27, 2016 9:55 am

Calpaldi could make a colonoscopy look exciting, but this was a tough one. I liked some of the comic book references, but the story was not exciting at all.

And Harmony Shoals. Seriously? Another music/water reference like Melody Pond or River Song. Moff has no new ideas.
Back to top Go down
Brain of Davros
Brain of Davros

Number of posts : 1279
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Christmas Special - The Return of Doctor Mysterio   2016 Christmas Special - The Return of Doctor Mysterio EmptyTue Dec 27, 2016 12:38 pm

Ted47 wrote:
Unfortunately I feel the same way. I'd rank this as the worst
episode of the X-mas specials. "Last Christmas" was also a stinker.
Ironically I just watched "The Husbands of River Song" again the day
before and I really enjoyed that one.
Strange that they used the same aliens from that special. They didn't
work in this one though.

Do we have a poll here for favorite X-mas specials?

I actually enjoyed Last Christmas a lot.I love the rivalry between Santa and The Doctor as the 2 biggest friends to humanity.Would love to see him return in the future but they would probably screw it up.I give that episode a 7.5.

Best ever Christmas episode was The Next Doctor,I give it a 9.5

Agree that Moff is devoid of new ideas and has been for a long time.
Back to top Go down
Ted47
Ted47

Number of posts : 436
Registration date : 2012-02-02

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Christmas Special - The Return of Doctor Mysterio   2016 Christmas Special - The Return of Doctor Mysterio EmptyTue Dec 27, 2016 1:56 pm

[quote="Brain of Davros"]
Ted47 wrote:
Unfortunately I feel the same way. I'd rank
Best ever Christmas episode was The Next Doctor,I give it a 9.5

Agree that Moff is devoid of new ideas and has been for a long time.

Funny, I also like this one the best.
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

Number of posts : 7495
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Christmas Special - The Return of Doctor Mysterio   2016 Christmas Special - The Return of Doctor Mysterio EmptyTue Dec 27, 2016 6:56 pm

Didn't do anything for me. Felt beige and cheap. I liked the concept but it wasn't well executed. Won't be one I remember easily, probably for the best. After a year of no Who, this is a let down and was not worth the wait.
Back to top Go down
https://www.doctorwhofigures.com
Evil Monkey Pope
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 2207
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Christmas Special - The Return of Doctor Mysterio   2016 Christmas Special - The Return of Doctor Mysterio EmptyThu Dec 29, 2016 7:11 pm

“The Return of Doctor Mysterio” may have had one of the least tense hostage situation climaxes, but it featured another charming entry in the Better Superman Than Batman V. Superman competition. (I didn’t completely loathe BVS:DOJ, but it’s embarrassing to WB that the year’s worst Superman is the one in the multi-million dollar blockbuster.) Calling him Doctor Mysterio makes me sad Peter Capaldi didn’t dress up like the real Mysterio. (Now I’m mad Mysterio isn’t in the MCU yet all over again!) https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/2016/12/29/2016s-final-casualty-will-be-itself/
Back to top Go down
https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
D84
D84

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2012-08-03

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Christmas Special - The Return of Doctor Mysterio   2016 Christmas Special - The Return of Doctor Mysterio EmptyFri Dec 30, 2016 9:00 am

I was pleasantly surprised by this one. The trailer made it look horrible, so when it turned out to be just okay, it made me feel that Moffat's last series might be tolerable.
Back to top Go down
Arlecchino
Arlecchino

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2015-02-24

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Christmas Special - The Return of Doctor Mysterio   2016 Christmas Special - The Return of Doctor Mysterio EmptyWed Feb 01, 2017 11:21 am

Scary wrote:
Didn't do anything for me. Felt beige and cheap. I liked the concept but it wasn't well executed. Won't be one I remember easily, probably for the best. After a year of no Who, this is a let down and was not worth the wait.

I enjoyed the special more the second time through. But this type of letdown is common with Moffat. Those of you who remember "Coupling," will recall a great first season followed by an OK second and third season, followed by an horrific fourth season, in which Moffat cast the "actor" Richard Mylan as Oliver Morris (replacing the wonderful Richard Coyle who played Jeff Murdock) and completely ruined the project. I felt the same disappointment viewing the last "Sherlock." I think that as  Moffat  gains clout, no one will tell him "no-that is NOT a good idea."
Back to top Go down

2016 Christmas Special - The Return of Doctor Mysterio
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Episode Discussion-
Jump to: