Blu-Ray sets errors and replacements?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Prydonian

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2011-04-20

Blu-Ray sets errors and replacements? Empty
PostSubject: Blu-Ray sets errors and replacements?   Blu-Ray sets errors and replacements? EmptyMon Apr 13, 2020 8:12 pm

Hello, all!  Please forgive me if this is a topic that's been talked to death and I'm late to the party, but I wasn't able to find the info.  

I've just learned that there were mastering errors on the US releases of both the Season 12 set and the Season 19 set.  I have both of them... Can anyone tell me how to recognize whether I have the original, error-filled releases, or the corrected editions?  Is there a serial number or item code on the packaging or the discs themselves that I should look for?  I'd really appreciate any help!

EDIT: What I mean is, is there a way to know if I have the bad discs without having to play them and look for the specific errors? There must be batch numbers of some kind.

Thanks!

Last edited by Prydonian on Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Whooz
Whooz

Number of posts : 415
Registration date : 2017-04-24

PostSubject: Re: Blu-Ray sets errors and replacements?   Blu-Ray sets errors and replacements? EmptyMon Apr 13, 2020 9:36 pm

Season 12 has issues with the audio on Sontaran Experiment. The sound is reversed on the bad discs. Revenge of the Cybermen just has a missing CIG element and a mistake in the closing credits on an episode showing Michael Wisher as Michael Eisher.

Season 19 I would have to look up again.
Back to top Go down
Prydonian

PostSubject: Re: Blu-Ray sets errors and replacements?   Blu-Ray sets errors and replacements? EmptyMon Apr 13, 2020 10:13 pm

Thanks! I appreciate the info. I should have specified, though, that I’m looking for a way to find out if I ave the bad ones without having to search through them. I edited my post to be clearer!
Back to top Go down
Whooz
Whooz

PostSubject: Re: Blu-Ray sets errors and replacements?   Blu-Ray sets errors and replacements? EmptyMon Apr 13, 2020 11:16 pm

Not that I am aware of, I have also not heard of whether or not the new pressings of season 12 are all corrected.

Here is a copy I made from a site of the errors themselves for season 19 -

Castrovalva:- Part 1: extended cutaway shot of the sky when Adric is pointing the way to E-Space, the cut back to Adric and the Guards has the Ambulance halfway off the screen. (The DVD was correct) Episode 1 also has a scanner error @ 4:10. The scanner door no longer opens, it’s. open from the start, an oversight that came with the newly added film sequence? Three lines of production subtitles are missing from episode 4, as the crew approaches the Tardis at the end. It is part of the story of Mathew Waterhouse vomiting, which is told in the commentary, and just about every other feature on the disc.

Kinda:- possible ‘masking’ error on the right side during one of the first (reprisal) shots of episode 2. For these sets, black bars are composited on the sides to hide the analogue edges, and it “blips” out here?

The Visitation:- Episode 3 scanner shot has two versions overlaid, the transmitted one, and the HD film, with ‘opacity reduced? Studio shot of switches missing from episode 2, as the axe man and other villagers are ‘activated’ by the alien threat?

Black Orchid – Part 2: The shot of the Tardis materializing at Cranleigh Hall starts a second too early, the Studio Sound from the previous scene at the very start. The DVD version has the same issue, so this is probably as it was transmitted?

Timeflight – Missing studio shot from episode 1 @ 1:02? Film perforations not ‘blanked’ in at least one shot from episode 4?
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 6151
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Blu-Ray sets errors and replacements?   Blu-Ray sets errors and replacements? EmptyTue Apr 14, 2020 3:58 am

For the Season 12 discs, check discs 3 and 5. The corrected discs have an updated #.

Look at the underside of the disc at the numbers in the inside rings.

If the long number ends in a .2, it's the corrected disc. The originals end in a .1

For example, my replacement disc 3 has: 70000083077.2

Back to top Go down
Whooz
Whooz

PostSubject: Re: Blu-Ray sets errors and replacements?   Blu-Ray sets errors and replacements? EmptyTue Apr 14, 2020 9:02 pm

You can always trust the Angelic one to have the answer!
Back to top Go down
Prydonian

PostSubject: Re: Blu-Ray sets errors and replacements?   Blu-Ray sets errors and replacements? EmptySun Apr 19, 2020 5:21 pm

Thanks very much!
Back to top Go down
L7 Casanova
L7 Casanova

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2020-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Blu-Ray sets errors and replacements?   Blu-Ray sets errors and replacements? EmptyTue May 05, 2020 4:17 pm

So has the problem been rectified on the season 19 US Blu-rays, or just season 12?
Back to top Go down
squishy
squishy

Number of posts : 2485
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Blu-Ray sets errors and replacements?   Blu-Ray sets errors and replacements? EmptyWed May 06, 2020 9:51 am

Tom Baker Season 1 definitely has replacement discs (S12). I've also sent away for the Peter Davison Season 1 replacement discs(S19). I'm not totally sure if both Region A and B got replacement discs for Season 18.

If you're on the Who North America forum then I assume you've for the Region A release with their "different" naming convention.

US version needs to send e-mail and copy of receipt to : DVDSupport.NA@bbc.com
Back to top Go down
L7 Casanova
L7 Casanova

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2020-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Blu-Ray sets errors and replacements?   Blu-Ray sets errors and replacements? EmptyWed May 06, 2020 6:03 pm

So which discs in Tom Baker Season 7 and Peter Davison Season 1 are affected for Region A? In other words, what should I be asking for in the email? Also, since I just bought these new, is it possible the replacement discs are already included?
Back to top Go down
squishy
squishy

PostSubject: Re: Blu-Ray sets errors and replacements?   Blu-Ray sets errors and replacements? EmptyWed May 06, 2020 7:33 pm

It is not possible that you've got the corrected discs.  Well, I'd say highly unlikely.  I doubt there would have been more than 1 pressing of these sets in North America.  Highly unlikely they've all sold out and gone back for a second printing.  But it doesn't hurt to check.

Season 12/Tom Baker 1 - It's The Sontaran Experiment and Revenge of the Cybermen that got new discs.  To know if you've got the correct discs, first flip the disc over to view the shiny side.  See the photo below for where to look. Around the inner hub there is super small printing with like a 24 or 30 number code.  For The Sontaran Experiment the code is (1027068) 7000093077.1 which I happen to have handy.  The only digit that matters is that last .1, because the revised disc ends with .2.  Revenge will be similar where you just look for that last digit.

Blu-Ray sets errors and replacements? Hub_co10

I haven't gotten Season 19 yet, but I think that's just one disc.  I've just been e-mailing, showing a scan of my receipt, and asking for the Tom Baker Season 1 replacement discs, etc.  They know which discs those are without you asking for the specific disc numbers.  At least that worked good for me for the first set.  Once I get the other sets updated I'll let everyone know if they somehow change the procedure.

US version needs to send e-mail and copy of receipt to : DVDSupport.NA@bbc.com
Back to top Go down
squishy
squishy

PostSubject: Re: Blu-Ray sets errors and replacements?   Blu-Ray sets errors and replacements? EmptyFri May 08, 2020 10:45 am

And DVD Support sent me a very nice message acknowledging my request for Peter Davison Season 1.  See below if you want to copy and adjust my request.  Just update with your personal info so your discs don't get mailed to me! They aren't lightning fast as it sounds like just one individual handling a backlog of all North American requests for everything. But then I've waited about 8 months to ask for the discs so I'll survive.

XXX ,
Thanks for the email.  I will be happy to get replacement discs in the mail for you as soon as possible. Unfortunately, the discs are at the office and I am forced to work from home for the moment but just as soon as I am able to get back to the office I will start sending these out.
Thanks for your patience and stay well.
Best,
DVD team

Sent: Monday, April 20, 2020 1:05 PM
To: DVD Support NA <DVDSupport.NA@bbc.com>
Subject: Doctor Who Peter Davison Complete first Season - replacement discs

Hello DVD Support,

I’m requesting the replacement Blu-Ray discs as offered by BBC Worldwide described below:
Doctor Who - The Collection - Peter Davison’s Complete Season One Blu-ray (US)

Region A

E-mail DVDSupport.NA@bbc.com This alternative e-mail address goes directly to the North American support team. Request replacement discs for the box set, provide shipping address and a digital copy of purchase receipt.  Replacement discs are being shipped as of July 2019.

The mailing address is the same as used by my XXXXXXXXXXXX order (receipt PDF attached).

My Address
123 Evergreen Terrace
Springfield, SM  12345
United States

Thank you,

XXXXX
me@gmail.com
Back to top Go down

Blu-Ray sets errors and replacements?
Page 1 of 1