Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Ianotimelord
Ianotimelord

Number of posts : 1495
Registration date : 2009-01-29

When Doctors meet Empty
PostSubject: When Doctors meet   When Doctors meet EmptyFri Jun 20, 2014 3:49 pm

I have often wondered why the older Doctor seems to respect and treat their younger selves with such respect.
Like in the Three and Five Doctors, the 2nd and 3rd seems to respect the 1st Doctor a lot and in the Five Doctors same thing, the 5th seems to respect the 1st.
Then in the Day of the Doctor, 10 and 11 seem to act like guilty children when the Hurt Doctor tells them off. Shouldn't the earlier Doctors respect the older ones?
Back to top Go down
http://doctorwhotoys.forumshome.com/
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7003
Registration date : 2009-08-11

When Doctors meet Empty
PostSubject: Re: When Doctors meet   When Doctors meet EmptyFri Jun 20, 2014 3:55 pm

I suppose it may have to do with the "newer Doctors" having lived the lives of the previous ones and remembering what kind of man/men they were, whereas the "past" Doctor is skeptical of those who follow him, not knowing what kind of a man/men they are/were...?
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

When Doctors meet Empty
PostSubject: Re: When Doctors meet   When Doctors meet EmptyFri Jun 20, 2014 7:59 pm

Eh. I'm not sure I'd say they really "respect" their younger selves. Hartnell does seem to earn respect from the others, but that's possibly because he's one of only two Regenerations (Counting The Warrior/War Doctor) that have seen the fulfillment of their designated life cycle. Seeing as how the others have all had mishaps that have resulted in their regenerations (Or in the case of Two and Eleven, been forcibly regenerated), that probably does lead to an air of respect. This is one of the few who got it right.

The others tend to quarrel among themselves. Two and Five certainly weren't thrilled to see each other, and even Ten and Eleven had a rivalry (Ten even openly showing contempt for Eleven when he admitted he'd forgotten how many children were lost on Gallifrey).

As for the respect shown The Warrior/War Doctor, that's explained in the 50th. "You were the Doctor on the day it was impossible to be the Doctor." He made the ultimate sacrifice to save all of creation. It's also why they're so abashed when he chastises their behavior...they're so scarred from the Time War they've run fast and far from being "grown up". They never want to make that kind of decision again.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

When Doctors meet Empty
PostSubject: Re: When Doctors meet   When Doctors meet EmptyFri Jun 20, 2014 8:01 pm

I have wondered that as well. They always seam to defer to the "elder" Doctor. It can't be a sign of respect for age. Perhaps it is nostalgia for the past.
Back to top Go down
Calixar
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

When Doctors meet Empty
PostSubject: Re: When Doctors meet   When Doctors meet EmptySat Jun 21, 2014 8:36 am

Respect for your elders is not necessarily about age, it is about those who came before you and made you who you are.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikaljohnson.com

When Doctors meet
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Doctor Who Discussion-
Jump to: