Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeSearchRegisterLog inThe Who North America Online StoreLatest images

Location of Coal Hill School & Totter's Lane?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Redfern
Redfern

Number of posts : 1208
Registration date : 2009-02-13

Location of Coal Hill School & Totter's Lane? Empty
PostSubject: Location of Coal Hill School & Totter's Lane?   Location of Coal Hill School & Totter's Lane? EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 10:35 am

Obviously, many earthbound locations presented in Doctor Who are real, Parliament, the Clock Tower of Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, 10 Downing Street, the Tower Bridge, and so on. But of interest to me are the two cornerstone locales that launched the series, Coal Hill School and 76 Totter's Lane. Surely both spots are fictional. But was it ever stated or implied where these places were located? I mean, were they meant to stand within the greater metropolis or the less densely populated suburban regions? If a particular district was stated or implied, help a "bloody Yank" not familiar with the general layout of London point where where this neighborhood supposedly stands.

Sincerely,

Bill
Back to top Go down
http://www.mzzkiti.com
jonwes
jonwes

Number of posts : 4627
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Location of Coal Hill School & Totter's Lane?   Location of Coal Hill School & Totter's Lane? EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 2:14 pm

Coal Hill was located in Shoreditch, a suburb of London.
Back to top Go down
Redfern
Redfern

Number of posts : 1208
Registration date : 2009-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Location of Coal Hill School & Totter's Lane?   Location of Coal Hill School & Totter's Lane? EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 2:46 pm

Thanks for the reply.

In what serial was this mentioned? Or was it one of the various books? Or is this one of those rare cases where there really is a road or property called Coal Hill?

Sincerely,

Bill
Back to top Go down
http://www.mzzkiti.com
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Location of Coal Hill School & Totter's Lane?   Location of Coal Hill School & Totter's Lane? EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 11:45 pm

I think it was first called Shoreditch in the 7th Doctor serial Remembrance of the Daleks.  I also believe a map was shown of the area that may give some clue to its fictional location.
Back to top Go down
jonwes
jonwes

Number of posts : 4627
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Location of Coal Hill School & Totter's Lane?   Location of Coal Hill School & Totter's Lane? EmptyFri Jan 17, 2014 12:09 am

Yeah, I think Remembrance was when we first found that out. At least in the series?
Back to top Go down

Location of Coal Hill School & Totter's Lane?
Page 1 of 1