Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeSearchRegisterLog inThe Who North America Online StoreLatest images

S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)

Go down 
+27
KIRKESS
rmlextreme
thebreen
CrochetOwl
hitman hart
Wes Crayon
timewarrior
stetsons_are_cool7
memnoch21
jaredofmo
SeaDevil
Rocco
Calixar
Shatterbang
John Johnson
Just Scott
jonwes
bret_owen99
SJA
CGren123
TinDogRory
Evil Monkey Pope
The 2nd Doctor Roberts
Ronpur
Rust
Captain Ironmac
Scary
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Rate S7E16: The Time of the Doctor
AMAZING!!
S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS) - Page 5 Vote_lcap16%S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS) - Page 5 Vote_rcap
 16% [ 7 ]
Good!
S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS) - Page 5 Vote_lcap36%S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS) - Page 5 Vote_rcap
 36% [ 16 ]
Okay...
S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS) - Page 5 Vote_lcap24%S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS) - Page 5 Vote_rcap
 24% [ 11 ]
Crap!
S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS) - Page 5 Vote_lcap4%S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS) - Page 5 Vote_rcap
 4% [ 2 ]
AWFUL!!
S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS) - Page 5 Vote_lcap20%S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS) - Page 5 Vote_rcap
 20% [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 45

AuthorMessage
Scary
Scary

Number of posts : 7495
Registration date : 2010-11-12

S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS) - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS) - Page 5 EmptyThu Dec 26, 2013 10:03 pm

timewarrior wrote:
Because the doctor is the man!  the only timelord that can get anything done. . .sheesh!

My point is that he simply couldn't before, so why can he now? This is gonna go on and on and on until the question gets answered, isn't it? Razz

We thought this episode was going to tie everything up, but honestly I think this is just the beginning of the Trenzalore story-arc. I remember there were lots of questions throughout Series 5 and 6 that no one understood and were getting their knickers in a twist over it all, but we understand all of those things now; I think that's happening again with these new questions. I'm sure we'll get some disappointing answers from Moffat eventually! bounce
Back to top Go down
https://www.doctorwhofigures.com
timewarrior
timewarrior

Number of posts : 4016
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS) - Page 5 EmptyThu Dec 26, 2013 10:04 pm

Scary wrote:
timewarrior wrote:
Because the doctor is the man!  the only timelord that can get anything done. . .sheesh!

My point is that he simply couldn't before, so why can he now? This is gonna go on and on and on until the question gets answered, isn't it? Razz

We thought this episode was going to tie everything up, but honestly I think this is just the beginning of the Trenzalore story-arc. I remember there were lots of questions throughout Series 5 and 6 that no one understood and were getting their knickers in a twist over it all, but we understand all of those things now; I think that's happening again with these new questions. I'm sure we'll get some disappointing answers from Moffat eventually! bounce

the doctor has learned from his mistakes. . .and the daleks are still rebuilding from their first loss. . .and because I said so. . .so there. . .nanny nanny boo boo!
Back to top Go down
timewarrior
timewarrior

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS) - Page 5 EmptyThu Dec 26, 2013 10:05 pm

you're giving me a headache scary.

Evil or Very Mad

Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad 
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS) - Page 5 EmptyThu Dec 26, 2013 10:18 pm

timewarrior wrote:

Evil or Very Mad

I'm sorry, it's nothing personal! Razz I just want to get to the bottom of it all.
Back to top Go down
timewarrior
timewarrior

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS) - Page 5 EmptyThu Dec 26, 2013 10:19 pm

Scary wrote:
timewarrior wrote:

Evil or Very Mad

I'm sorry, it's nothing personal! :PI just want to get to the bottom of it all.

It's lonely at the bottom scary. . .don't do it. . .stay on the top. . .that's where the money and women are. . .
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6853
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS) - Page 5 EmptyThu Dec 26, 2013 10:24 pm

The Doctor's Name is in Old High Gallifreyan (personal theory), so speaking it would allow something catastrophic to happen.

What I don't get it how the crack was eating people from time if Gallifrey's on the other side.

It would have really made my day if Amy AND Rory had popped up to say farewell to the Doctor, even if only Amy spoke.
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS) - Page 5 EmptyThu Dec 26, 2013 10:30 pm

After my second viewing, I enjoyed and understood it a bit more. We're still left with questions, and that's a good thing - I like questions, especially when they concern the return of Gallifrey! However, I still found the whole aging thing and also Tasha Lem's character unnecessary. I'm less disappointed with it now, however, because all of these new questions lead me to believe that this is not the end of the story-arc. I was disappointed because I thought that this was quite a crappy and underwhelming resolution to big questions we've been leading up to for two or three years, but if this isn't the end of the Trenzalore stuff then I'm less disappointed.

I've finally voted on the poll and given it an 'Okay...' which is better than what I would have voted last night. bounce

jaredofmo wrote:
What I don't get it how the crack was eating people from time if Gallifrey's on the other side.

Well, we don't know if it's just Gallifrey on the other side. From what I understood of it, there's another universe on the other side of the cracks in which Gallifrey is placed as opposed to the cracks leading directly into/onto Gallifrey. The Doctor does actually say that Gallifrey is in another universe. The way I envision that is the cracks lead to alternative space where Gallifrey is floating around waiting to come back through.

jaredofmo wrote:
It would have really made my day if Amy AND Rory had popped up to say farewell to the Doctor, even if only Amy spoke.

I was hoping that would happen whilst I was watching the scene, actually! Sad that it didn't but I wasn't surprised that he got left out and ignored yet again.

Last edited by Scary on Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
amagon
amagon

Number of posts : 2763
Registration date : 2007-02-04

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS) - Page 5 EmptyThu Dec 26, 2013 10:33 pm

I got from this: IF he said his name, Gallifrey would have returned. He would have led The Time Lords into battle against all their enemies, and hence, all the grave markers.

But, with Clara in the picture, she prevented all this from happening.

If you want you're ears to bleed, I can tell you of what I did in a timey wimey parallel universe crossing, that had one thing happen, which led to another, but, for THAT to happen, THIS must happen, thereby NOT changing anything, to lead to THIS.

All in all, when I write something, the only way for it to be erased, is by The Time Lords themselves creating another new timeline!

If Rory appeared, it would be a fist bump? I think again of time constrictions, hence, why Capaldi came in after a SNEEZE! But, to have just Amelia and Amy were fine for me.

We didn't have The 9th Dr in the anniversary, nor River in the finale. If someone wants them in them WRITE IT! I'll be happy to read it.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS) - Page 5 EmptyFri Dec 27, 2013 12:02 am

Marshmallows...duh. Oh well.

I have been thinking about the Gallifrey being frozen after The Day of the Doctor and now unfrozen in The Time of the Doctor. The Curator implied that Gallifrey was safe and the Doctor will find it some day. Perhaps it was unfrozen after it was transported to the other universe. The 3 Doctors were not sure their plan worked, so perhaps it just did not stay frozen. The paintings were similar, in that those inside the painting could break out, so is that what happened to the Gallifrians? In all the rush to answer questions from Matt's era, we have some new questions. So, I hope we see 12(or 14) get involved in the search for Galiifrey.
Back to top Go down
Calixar
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS) - Page 5 EmptyFri Dec 27, 2013 3:05 am

Someone explain The End of Time in relation to all of this.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikaljohnson.com
Rocco
Rocco

Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2010-06-30

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS) - Page 5 EmptyFri Dec 27, 2013 3:23 am

Calixar wrote:

The End of Time happened before the Day of the Doctor takes place. So it still is there since this takes place after that.

Uh does anyone know why they used a little blonde girl to play Amelia at the end though?
Back to top Go down
Rocco
Rocco

Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2010-06-30

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS) - Page 5 EmptyFri Dec 27, 2013 3:30 am

jaredofmo wrote:

It wasn't. The cracks were what they were. This was only scar tissue, a week point in the universe in which the Doctor had put back together. The Timelords were looking for a way into the Universe and like he said chose the weakest point, being the scar tissue of a huge explosion. They only came across the crack, they had nothing to do with it before.

Sorry for the double post
Back to top Go down
jonwes
jonwes

Number of posts : 4627
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS) - Page 5 EmptyFri Dec 27, 2013 10:28 am

My take:

Everything that happened in Series 7 happened, but time was just rewritten and that future was averted. There are all kinds of paradoxes because of this, of course, but at this point those paradoxes are hand-waived away in most cases at this point.

The Doctor had to say his name to call Gallifrey through if it was safe. You have to remember, Gallifrey doesn't know that the Daleks are back, necessarily. They don't know what's happened since they were away. So they are, basically, relying on the Doctor to give them the all clear.
Back to top Go down
thebreen

Number of posts : 879
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS) - Page 5 EmptyFri Dec 27, 2013 12:05 pm

I stand by my vote of "Good!"... that said, the more I think about it, the more the Doctor's activities/time on Trenzalore bothers me.

Granted, he was without the tardis for the bulk of the time, but not the whole of it.  Why not evacuate the planet/town, or at least shelter its inhabitants in Tardis... and then just leave and let the Planet Burn? We're told this would prevent the Time Lords returning, but  I can't quite believe that that crack was the ONLY place in the universe that the Time Lords could break through.  After all, that crack existed in different times and places all through the universe in Season 5... so it stands to reason the scar tissue is there as well.  Maybe I'm missing a detail (after all, there was a LOT crammed in that episode).

And if Clara talking to the crack was all it took to resolve the stalemate, I have to say... HUH? Does this imply that in all the time the Doctor was there, he NEVER tried to communicate?!  Perhaps he was afraid any attempt HE made would have triggered the return and the start of a new time war? There... maybe I answered my own question.

All in all though, I still find the episode immense fun and very enjoyable. I think Moffat did a relatively good job of wrapping up and resolving the questions he's built during Eleven's era...with one major exception.

Since Matt is the 'Thirteenth' Doctor, all of that "At the 'Fall of the Eleventh'" talk doesn't make sense anymore.
Back to top Go down
CGren123
CGren123

Number of posts : 2368
Registration date : 2009-12-23

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS) - Page 5 EmptyFri Dec 27, 2013 12:54 pm

The episode mentioned that it was the weakest point in the Universe, so there may well have been have been other scars, but with the Time Lords being weakened, they just couldn't break through there?
Back to top Go down
Calixar
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS) - Page 5 EmptyFri Dec 27, 2013 3:35 pm

Rocco wrote:
Calixar wrote:

The End of Time happened before the Day of the Doctor takes place. So it still is there since this takes place after that.

Uh does anyone know why they used a little blonde girl to play Amelia at the end though?

Right, however, why is it a surprise to the Doctor that Gallifrey is actually still "out there" somewhere, when he already knew this from The End of Time? He already knew that the Time Lords were in some sort of time-lock, pocket-dimension, or other sort of reality, and not actually destroyed.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikaljohnson.com
jonwes
jonwes

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS) - Page 5 EmptyFri Dec 27, 2013 3:43 pm

Calixar wrote:
Rocco wrote:
Calixar wrote:

Right, however, why is it a surprise to the Doctor that Gallifrey is actually still "out there" somewhere, when he already knew this from The End of Time? He already knew that the Time Lords were in some sort of time-lock, pocket-dimension, or other sort of reality, and not actually destroyed.

No, in the End of Time, the Time War was time-locked, meaning people could not travel to or from Gallifrey in the period in which it took place, at least. It might have been that Gallifrey was time-locked for all time up until what the Doctor THOUGHT was Gallifrey's destruction.

This is very different from what happened at the end of the Day of the Doctor, where Gallifrey was physically shunted to a different universe.

It's like the difference between getting off of work, and find you're locked out of your car versus having your card towed.
Back to top Go down
SJA
SJA

Number of posts : 625
Registration date : 2013-08-16

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS) - Page 5 EmptyFri Dec 27, 2013 3:50 pm

I will say this to people the were not impressed with the Christmas special.... were at the end of the 50th celebration and its impossible to follow the amazing 50th anniversary special we were given about a month ago.... I dont think any "regular episode/Christmas special" could have followed the 50th anniversary.
Back to top Go down
rmlextreme
rmlextreme

Number of posts : 779
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS) - Page 5 EmptyFri Dec 27, 2013 4:22 pm

It reminded me of NFL football one week your favorite team dominates and the next week your team plays totally different and gets the holy bleep kicked out of them.  The home crowd of course wants the Coach Fired.....

(in the above example the 50th is your favorite Team)

Come on who was thinking Fire Moffat during that lol

For a Holiday special it did its job, it had its moments and it got us another regeneration cycle.

Would i buy it on DVD heck NO!, Itunes? NO! lol
Back to top Go down
TinDogRory
TinDogRory

Number of posts : 1462
Registration date : 2010-07-20

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS) - Page 5 EmptyFri Dec 27, 2013 4:51 pm

My general feeling is that this should have been two parts, like End of Time: One Part Christmas Episode, One Part Regeneration episode. Doing both in only a single hour came off as rushed and sloppy. I think another 10/15 minutes may have done the trick here.
Back to top Go down
http://aykfpod.com
Wes Crayon
Wes Crayon

Number of posts : 549
Registration date : 2008-08-26

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS) - Page 5 EmptyFri Dec 27, 2013 9:35 pm

CGren123 wrote:
The episode mentioned that it was the weakest point in the Universe

That episode was totally the weakest point in the universe.

(Sorry; couldn't help it Wink )
Back to top Go down
http://www.scary-crayon.com/
newtowhogal
newtowhogal

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2013-12-26

PostSubject: Will really miss Matt's doctor   S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS) - Page 5 EmptyFri Dec 27, 2013 9:36 pm

[JustScott wrote: “Was there really any need for the whole "rock star" arm swinging during the regeneration??”]

I think so.  This was Matt's last episode  Sad  and I like what happened with him and suspect it must have felt like a good exit as an actor.  The getting older thing as he stayed in Christmas was unexpected but helped me a little in being able to say goodbye to my first "current" doctor.  But instead of him going out "with a whimper" the new regeneration cycle with its powerful regeneration force, including his new-found energy to rev up his arms and blast the Daleks (when ten minutes before he was too feeble to open a Christmas cracker), let him go out "with a bang".  I also liked getting to see him young again and give a different take on upcoming regeneration than David's doctor ("I don't want to go" tore my heart out!).  His different take about everyone changing during their lives as well as remembering where they came from was a lovely elegy and also tied what was happening to him to what happens to all of us.

[CrochetOwl wrote: “(still haven't watched the Wardrobe Xmas special or the Clara and the kids adventure)"]

You are missing two great episodes.  I love the Wardrobe one for the ending comments (spoilers!) about human "happy tears" and I love the Clara one as an emotional transition from his pain at losing Amy and finally finding a reason to move on with his life. And even more than the fez, I loved the crazy-looking top hat her wore in that episode.
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS) - Page 5 EmptyFri Dec 27, 2013 9:54 pm

TinDogRory wrote:
My general feeling is that this should have been two parts, like End of Time: One Part Christmas Episode, One Part Regeneration episode. Doing both in only a single hour came off as rushed and sloppy. I think another 10/15 minutes may have done the trick here.

This.
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6853
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS) - Page 5 EmptyFri Dec 27, 2013 10:30 pm

Scary wrote:
TinDogRory wrote:

This.
Yep. Especially since we'll be waiting eight months for more Who.
Back to top Go down
jonwes
jonwes

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS) - Page 5 EmptyFri Dec 27, 2013 10:37 pm

I'm not sure what else would have been in a two-parter, though, realistically. I mean, if the plot had been different with more stuff going on, sure. But I'm not sure the story as is could have been a two-parter. In a way, though they were a month apart, I kind of think of Day of/Time of as a two-part send-off to Smith. In some ways, you could think of the Name/Day/Time trilogy as his send off.
Back to top Go down

S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Episode Discussion-
Jump to: