75% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 4

AuthorMessage
Who North America
Who North America

Number of posts : 5792
Registration date : 2007-02-01

040 - The Enemy of the World Empty
PostSubject: 040 - The Enemy of the World   040 - The Enemy of the World EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 10:20 pm

Post reviews, observations, factoids, etc, regarding this story in this topic. Do not post replies to other people's postings here. This information is being compiled for future publication. Please post your name or a suitable alias (initials, for example) for publication purposes.
Back to top Go down
https://whona.forumotion.com
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7000
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: 040 - The Enemy of the World   040 - The Enemy of the World EmptyFri Oct 18, 2013 12:53 pm

Now that its been recovered and we can actually see it now, I gotta say that it lives up to all my expectations.  

It's a very atypical Doctor Who story, but no less thrilling.  Patrick Troughton gives a tour de force performance playing both the Doctor and Salamander. The sets look great and the story was intriguing.  I was particularly impressed by some of the camera shots and the combination of studio taping with film rear projection to give the impression of an exterior shot.  Directed by future Who producer Barry Letts, who even then was on the forefront of innovation in how to use all the tricks of the trade to create something different.  

Now one of my favorite Second Doctor stories.

SeaDevil
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

Number of posts : 7495
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: 040 - The Enemy of the World   040 - The Enemy of the World EmptyMon Apr 07, 2014 2:48 pm

This is a brilliant sci-fi conspiracy story! Really enjoyed seeing Troughton as Salamander, he did an excellent job at alternating between the two roles, and he really seemed like he was enjoying himself. He was an interesting and convincing villain. Also there's a twist that I wasn't expecting!

Spoiler:

By the way, I'm glad that Bruce came to his senses and saw Salamander for what he really was in the end. I actually quite liked his character.

Only negative would be that we really don't see enough of the supposed oppression that Salamander and his organisation were pressing on people, but we did see that in a few scenes so I'm not complaining too much at all. And a little nitpick: the soldiers' helmets look very similar to the Time Lord helmets used later in the show on Gallifrey which could be distracting at times, but again that didn't detract from my enjoyment of this serial.

5 stars from me. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://www.doctorwhofigures.com
Chuzzlewit
Chuzzlewit

Number of posts : 3864
Registration date : 2008-07-03

PostSubject: Re: 040 - The Enemy of the World   040 - The Enemy of the World EmptyTue Jul 15, 2014 9:56 pm

This story is sensational. I always liked it based on the Ian Marter novelization, but seeing it after it was recovered completely blew my mind. Troughton is absolutely brilliant in his dual performances. What other Doctor could ever strip down and dance in the waves with such playful glee, then turn and give you a merciless maniac with such believable contemptuous ambitions?

Back to top Go down

040 - The Enemy of the World
Page 1 of 1