3% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 31

AuthorMessage
Scary
Scary

Number of posts : 7495
Registration date : 2010-11-12

S7E9: Cold War (SPOILERS) Empty
PostSubject: S7E9: Cold War (SPOILERS)   S7E9: Cold War (SPOILERS) EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 2:28 pm

This looks fabulous! Ice Warriors!

Last edited by Scary on Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.doctorwhofigures.com
Rust
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: S7E9: Cold War (SPOILERS)   S7E9: Cold War (SPOILERS) EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 2:45 pm

Now THAT looks exactly like a Classic Doctor Who adventure.
Back to top Go down
stetsons_are_cool7
stetsons_are_cool7

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2012-02-20

PostSubject: Re: S7E9: Cold War (SPOILERS)   S7E9: Cold War (SPOILERS) EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 9:12 pm

Trapped on a submarine with an Ice Warrior? Sounds very 2nd Doctorish to me.
Back to top Go down
http://creativecritic.blogspot.com/
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: S7E9: Cold War (SPOILERS)   S7E9: Cold War (SPOILERS) EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 9:39 pm

stetsons_are_cool7 wrote:
Trapped on a submarine with an Ice Warrior? Sounds very 2nd Doctorish to me.

It sure does. I am looking forward to this one.
Back to top Go down
Evil Monkey Pope
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 2208
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: S7E9: Cold War (SPOILERS)   S7E9: Cold War (SPOILERS) EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 1:43 am

David Warner AND Davos Seaworth!
Back to top Go down
https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: S7E9: Cold War (SPOILERS)   S7E9: Cold War (SPOILERS) EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 3:57 pm

Which one is Dame Diana going to be in? scratch
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: S7E9: Cold War (SPOILERS)   S7E9: Cold War (SPOILERS) EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 10:40 pm

Shocked Looks good!

Back to top Go down
Evil Monkey Pope
Evil Monkey Pope

PostSubject: Re: S7E9: Cold War (SPOILERS)   S7E9: Cold War (SPOILERS) EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 2:32 am

Dame Diana will be in The Crimson Horror.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: S7E9: Cold War (SPOILERS)   S7E9: Cold War (SPOILERS) EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 6:55 am

Oh wow! I guess they were putting the best episodes further into the series this year.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: S7E9: Cold War (SPOILERS)   S7E9: Cold War (SPOILERS) EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 7:40 am

Ronpur wrote:
Oh wow! I guess they were putting the best episodes further into the series this year.

I don't consider the last two we have had as poor, The problem is we expect them to be show-stoppers each week and when were given good story's that is not considered to be the explosive adrenaline pumping goodness then were left disappointed.

The last to episodes have been all round very good and far from the worst we have seen. I am expecting it to get better each week and so far I can see the trend.

It makes sense to build up to the 50th for the explosive special were expecting.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: S7E9: Cold War (SPOILERS)   S7E9: Cold War (SPOILERS) EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 6:07 pm

davro wrote:
Ronpur wrote:

I don't consider the last two we have had as poor, The problem is we expect them to be show-stoppers each week and when were given good story's that is not considered to be the explosive adrenaline pumping goodness then were left disappointed.

The last to episodes have been all round very good and far from the worst we have seen. I am expecting it to get better each week and so far I can see the trend.

It makes sense to build up to the 50th for the explosive special were expecting.

No,I don't think they were poor either. Like you said,not everything can be a show stopper. I can put The Daemons in and watch it anytime. But I don't put Creature from the Pit in 4 times a year. Even though I enjoyed that episode. A slow build up to an explosive final is a brilliant idea,and I hope that is what we get.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: S7E9: Cold War (SPOILERS)   S7E9: Cold War (SPOILERS) EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 8:41 am

"Oh no."
Back to top Go down
masterkhan
masterkhan

Number of posts : 631
Registration date : 2011-10-14

PostSubject: Re: S7E9: Cold War (SPOILERS)   S7E9: Cold War (SPOILERS) EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 1:51 pm

I loved it!!!
Don't care about the 'Alien/s' theme or the removed armour suit, it worked for me.
A good nod from 'The Krotons' at the end with the Tardis' 'HADS',lol.
The model fx looked nice and retro.
And Matt Smith is as awesome as the 2nd James Bond.....i mean the 2nd Doctor,lol.
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

Number of posts : 7495
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: S7E9: Cold War (SPOILERS)   S7E9: Cold War (SPOILERS) EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 3:55 pm

I voted 'Okay,' but if there were an option between 'Good' and 'Okay' I'd have chosen that. It was leaning more that way than to 'Bad'. Overall it was a fairly alright and average episode, yet very disappointing.

The beginning was rather fast paced. It jumped straight into the story; the Doctor & Clara just pop up and there we go, the story's already began. There wasn't much lead up which meant I was feeling quite lost to start with - not very good when you're trying to enjoy it. When there isn't a good lead up at the beginning, the rest of the episode just feels... Uncomfortable.

Once it did get further into the story, however, I did enjoy it, even if the plot was quite weak. There wasn't much Ice Warrior action at all though and it wasn't as exciting as the trailers made it seem. It was really just people being chased around a sinking submarine, which sounds cooler than it actually was.

The Ice Warrior, Skaldak, was FANTASTIC to look at... Until he revealed that horrible frog head and those stick arms and ruined the Ice Warriors... On one hand it's cool to see what's under the armour, on the other hand I wish I didn't know now. It's made the Ice Warriors look weak and feeble. That face was just awful... Honestly... Moffat and his team have messed up the Ice Warriors more than they messed up the Silurians (I did enjoy the new Silurians but they're nothing like the real ones). The armour has certainly grown on me though. However, that frog face really did ruin it for me. Just awful.

There were two good things about the episode at least: 1) I LOVED the Ultravox and Duran Duran references - I'm a big fan of both and have a number of their LPs, I'm so glad they included that, 2) there wasn't much bull-crap from Clara this week, thankfully.

So overall, it was a good episode but severely disappointing. I genuinely think that the trailers were more entertaining than the episode itself... A 3.5/5 from me.

And just for laughs now:

Back to top Go down
https://www.doctorwhofigures.com
Invisible Supreme
Invisible Supreme

Number of posts : 2167
Registration date : 2010-03-16

PostSubject: Re: S7E9: Cold War (SPOILERS)   S7E9: Cold War (SPOILERS) EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 9:02 pm

I really enjoyed the episode, although I would've liked more screen time for the Skaldak in his armor. I think they did the head justice, it looked quite convincing to me, although it might have been better if it looked more solid, like a thicker skin.
Back to top Go down
stetsons_are_cool7
stetsons_are_cool7

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2012-02-20

PostSubject: Re: S7E9: Cold War (SPOILERS)   S7E9: Cold War (SPOILERS) EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 9:09 pm

I liked it.

I always enjoyed stories where the Doctor is playing peacekeeper. I miss the clamps, but overall, no problems with the Ice Warrior design.

It seemed like this episode had a lot of references to the classic series: HADS, finding the Ice Warrior in a block of ice, no psychic paper, etc.
Back to top Go down
http://creativecritic.blogspot.com/
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 6151
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: S7E9: Cold War (SPOILERS)   S7E9: Cold War (SPOILERS) EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 9:11 pm

Im with Scary... Okay for me

Same thoughts on the pacing. Started off terrific, then when it became chase the naked warrior, just got too slow with nothing much happening. Then when it comes to the end, nothing much happened again. His ride finally showed up, he left. The end.

Yes, Matt had his rapid fire exposition on the Ice Warriors, but hes still much better than in previous series.

So far, still not impressed with any of the new ones. Hopefully the haunted house next week will be better.

Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: S7E9: Cold War (SPOILERS)   S7E9: Cold War (SPOILERS) EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 10:51 pm

I like this one a great deal. I like that the Ice Warrior under the armor is not a big bulky creature. It makes the skinny Ice Lords make a lot more sense now. The three finger hand also reminded me a great deal of the War of the Worlds Martians. I now assume the gloves/claws to be interchangeable parts of the cybernetic suit. HADS was another great reference to the past.

Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 6151
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: S7E9: Cold War (SPOILERS)   S7E9: Cold War (SPOILERS) EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 10:53 pm

Ronpur wrote:
I like this one a great deal. I like that the Ice Warrior under the armor is not a big bulky creature. It makes the skinny Ice Lords make a lot more sense now. The three finger hand also reminded me a great deal of the War of the Worlds Martians. I now assume the gloves/claws to be interchangeable parts of the cybernetic suit. HADS was another great reference to the past.

I had that 'other Martian invader' thought myself when I saw the hand.

Once I finish American Gothic, gonna start that one now that I have the season 1 dvds Smile
Back to top Go down
jonwes
jonwes

Number of posts : 4627
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: S7E9: Cold War (SPOILERS)   S7E9: Cold War (SPOILERS) EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 11:01 pm

I enjoyed this one to pieces! After having a hard time liking the last two episodes, I was relieved to have one that I could really get into. The Ice Warrior was brilliantly done, I thought. I loved that there was something small and slithery lurking inside the bulky suit! So cool. And the setting was brilliantly done. Clara was great. David Warner was fantastic in a smaller role. And that ship... so cool looking! I hope we get to see more Ice Warriors soon. And an Ice Lord!
Back to top Go down
Wes Crayon
Wes Crayon

Number of posts : 549
Registration date : 2008-08-26

PostSubject: Re: S7E9: Cold War (SPOILERS)   S7E9: Cold War (SPOILERS) EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 11:27 pm

I voted "okay" -- for many of the reasons y'all have mentioned. I was engaged when the Ice Warrior showed up, was eager to see Clara's interaction with it despite "Dalek" flashbacks... and then the suit opened and the episode went into killer-monster-on-a-sub autopilot. I've seen that movie tons of times (and even more if you consider that it's basically an underwater variant of killer alien on a spaceship), so yawn. Then the ending was goofy, with the weird CGI head (should've left that mug in shadow) and the shiny-happy-merciful-people deal.

But I was into it at first -- and now I feel the need to track down an Ice Warrior figure for the collection -- so this is easily my favorite episode of the latest go 'round. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.scary-crayon.com/
CompanionGallifrey42211
CompanionGallifrey42211

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2013-04-07

PostSubject: Re: S7E9: Cold War (SPOILERS)   S7E9: Cold War (SPOILERS) EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 11:37 pm

I actually voted "Fantastic" for this weeks episode, I really enjoyed it for many reasons. I couldn't agree more with you guys. I really liked this episode there were Second Doctor refrences and I didn't mind Clara's talking that much this week. She's growing on me as The Doctors companion. (Laughing out loud at the Duran Duran refrence!) The ship had amazing details and was a great set to use. I found it funny that this weeks episode was on the Cold War/war. Two weeks ago I wrote a Doctor Who fan-fiction about World War One and having myself traveling with the Doctor to help. Shocked ANYHOW- I enjoyed the switch up of finding there was an alien in the suit....I got interested real quick. The guy who wanted Clara to sing, The Professor, he reminded me a lot of the first Doctor, William Hartnell. He looked like a bigger(larger,taller) and hippie version of him. I found a laugh or two in that. Something I didn't like at all was that I found Matt did not talk a lot in this episode. I think he talked more in last week's episode [i]The Rings of Ahkaten
bounce Overall this week got me entertained and I am already impatient for next weeks episode in the Haunted House.
Back to top Go down
timewarrior
timewarrior

Number of posts : 4016
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: S7E9: Cold War (SPOILERS)   S7E9: Cold War (SPOILERS) EmptySun Apr 14, 2013 12:48 am

Holy crap this is good!
Back to top Go down
Evil Monkey Pope
Evil Monkey Pope

PostSubject: Re: S7E9: Cold War (SPOILERS)   S7E9: Cold War (SPOILERS) EmptySun Apr 14, 2013 3:17 am

It was dull. There wasn't much to this story.
I liked the guest stars, sets, & Ice Warrior armor though.
Back to top Go down
The 2nd Doctor Roberts
The 2nd Doctor Roberts

Number of posts : 1163
Registration date : 2009-07-21

PostSubject: Re: S7E9: Cold War (SPOILERS)   S7E9: Cold War (SPOILERS) EmptySun Apr 14, 2013 5:10 am

I gave it a "good" strictly for the use of an Ice Warrior. If it had been some new monster, the story would've rated an "okay." It wasn't as enjoyable as last week's episode, but still better than "Bells of St. John."

Finally the Moffat era brings back a classic monster that doesn't disappoint. Congratulations, the Moff. Now please resist the urge to bring the Ice Warriors back as Victorian detectives or manservants. Razz

Watching the episode, I couldn't help feeling how much more effective it would have been if it had been produced in 1983 as well as set in it.
Back to top Go down

S7E9: Cold War (SPOILERS)
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next