Go down 
+3
pixletwin
SeaDevil
Who North America
7 posters

Rate this Story (5 Stars Being Best)
1 Star
003 - The Edge of Destruction Vote_lcap0%003 - The Edge of Destruction Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
2 Star
003 - The Edge of Destruction Vote_lcap8%003 - The Edge of Destruction Vote_rcap
 8% [ 1 ]
3 Star
003 - The Edge of Destruction Vote_lcap23%003 - The Edge of Destruction Vote_rcap
 23% [ 3 ]
4 Star
003 - The Edge of Destruction Vote_lcap62%003 - The Edge of Destruction Vote_rcap
 62% [ 8 ]
5 Star
003 - The Edge of Destruction Vote_lcap7%003 - The Edge of Destruction Vote_rcap
 7% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 13

AuthorMessage
Who North America
Who North America

Number of posts : 5792
Registration date : 2007-02-01

003 - The Edge of Destruction Empty
PostSubject: 003 - The Edge of Destruction   003 - The Edge of Destruction EmptyFri Mar 08, 2013 3:48 pm

Post reviews, observations, factoids, etc, regarding this story in this topic. Do not post replies to other people's postings here. This information is being compiled for future publication. Please post your name or a suitable alias (initials, for example) for publication purposes.

Last edited by Who North America on Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://whona.forumotion.com
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7003
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: 003 - The Edge of Destruction   003 - The Edge of Destruction EmptyFri Mar 08, 2013 4:05 pm

This is a very tight two-parter that I really like because we get into each of the characters a little better. Lots of personal tension.

SeaDevil
Back to top Go down
pixletwin
pixletwin

Number of posts : 2724
Registration date : 2008-07-11

PostSubject: Re: 003 - The Edge of Destruction   003 - The Edge of Destruction EmptyFri Mar 08, 2013 4:53 pm

This is the story that hooked me into Hartnell's era. I love the paranoia each character in turn experiences.
Back to top Go down
Jackknight
Jackknight

Number of posts : 318
Registration date : 2011-10-08

PostSubject: Re: 003 - The Edge of Destruction   003 - The Edge of Destruction EmptyFri Mar 08, 2013 10:19 pm

I think this story gets overlooked for just being "weird" by alot of people. It's really an important episode in the development of Dr. Who though. In the first couple episodes there's an open hostility between the Doctor, Barabara; and Ian. Because of the TARDIS going haywire and basically intoxicating the crew though, all that tension from the first couple episodes is brought to the forefront and they each get to work through their issues.

From here on, they got along alot more amicably toward one another. This is the episode where they graduate from reluctant travelling companions to an actual crew.

Anthony Clark
Winter Haven, FL
Back to top Go down
http://CriticalMess.net
masterkhan
masterkhan

Number of posts : 631
Registration date : 2011-10-14

PostSubject: Re: 003 - The Edge of Destruction   003 - The Edge of Destruction EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 2:16 pm

The scene where Susan goes bezerk with the scissors is quite disturbing.
The other thing that's memorable is the 'FAST RETURN SWITCH' sign, which is crudely written by a felt tip pen.
Overall a good story.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: 003 - The Edge of Destruction   003 - The Edge of Destruction EmptySun Mar 10, 2013 6:19 pm

On Star Trek, this would be called a "Bottle Show". Totally on board the TARDIS and with just the main cast. This is when they went from a bunch of strangers to a crew and family.

Ronpur
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

Number of posts : 7495
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: 003 - The Edge of Destruction   003 - The Edge of Destruction EmptyMon Jan 06, 2014 9:14 pm

Quite a good story! Very slow at first though. I don't understand the whole 'psychological thriller' thing that everyone says about this story, mind, but it was certainly an interesting story.

I preferred the second episode over the first; like I said, nothing really happened in the first episode, but the second episode the story moved a lot quicker. My favourite part was the ending - and I don't say to mean I was glad it was over Razz- it was great to see the crew all happy and playing in the snow at the end after all that trauma.

What made the story for me though was the character development: as per usual, we see the Doctor being quite grumpy and arrogant, but he is sympathetic and apologetic to Barbra by the end. Of course we know this side of the Doctor exists, but we hadn't seen it in the previous stories. Absolutely wonderfully done.

Spoiler:

Anyway, great little story. Considering, as I understand it, this was made merely to fill in the 13 episode 'trial period', they did a good job for what it is. Yes, it's a bit slow at first, but it picks up and is still an interesting story. If not for its plot, you've gotta watch this one for its character development. 4 stars from me. bounce
Back to top Go down
https://www.doctorwhofigures.com

003 - The Edge of Destruction
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: The Doctor Who Viewer's Guide :: Season One - First Doctor-
Jump to: