Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeSearchRegisterLog inThe Who North America Online StoreLatest images

S7E2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (SPOILERS)

Go down 
+21
Cruel Angel
bret_owen99
Ted47
Shatterbang
guvnagrover
squishy
Jackknight
rmlextreme
Just Scott
DalekSupreme08
jaredofmo
Rocco
timewarrior
Gallifreys Loss
stetsons_are_cool7
jonwes
Evil Monkey Pope
greenk9
Rust
Ronpur
Scary
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Rate S7E2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship
FANTASTIC!
S7E2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (SPOILERS) - Page 3 Vote_lcap25%S7E2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (SPOILERS) - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 25% [ 8 ]
Good!
S7E2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (SPOILERS) - Page 3 Vote_lcap34%S7E2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (SPOILERS) - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 34% [ 11 ]
Okay...
S7E2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (SPOILERS) - Page 3 Vote_lcap31%S7E2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (SPOILERS) - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 31% [ 10 ]
Bad!
S7E2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (SPOILERS) - Page 3 Vote_lcap9%S7E2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (SPOILERS) - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 9% [ 3 ]
AWFUL!
S7E2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (SPOILERS) - Page 3 Vote_lcap0%S7E2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (SPOILERS) - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 32

AuthorMessage
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2105
Registration date : 2008-04-04

S7E2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (SPOILERS) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: S7E2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (SPOILERS)   S7E2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (SPOILERS) - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 4:35 pm

kcooper76 wrote:
bret_owen99 wrote:

Once again, we get a 'Time' gap, for all the fan-fic writers to gush over. "Oh thank you Moffat, you have done more for fan fiction than any other showrunner. And Nefertiti too! Think of all the stories we will write!". Meh.

The time gap between episodes is bad now? I think you're running out of things to complain about.

First, I'll never run out of things to complain about Razz. B. I get tired of the same thing done, over and over and over again. First there was the Christmas Episode where the Doctor traveled in Time and Marilyn Monroe, or something like that. Then there was when the Doctor got killed, and there was like a 200 year gap in the Series. Now we get another year. Once is unique and clever, over and over again is pandering.

Third off, am I the only one who noticed that the console for the cranky old man was part of the 'Evil Tardis' set from the Lodger, and the Silents (the standing part, with the ball in the center). I was hoping that would be touched on, but it just looks like they are re-using props, over and over again. This is the third time seeing this prop, and seeing as how it's not being tied into the previous two, it was kind of glaring IMO.

The reason I even noticed, was someone had pointed out that the seat that Oswin sat in from the previous episode was the same seat they used for Jenny when she took off at the end of the Doctor's Daughter. Two back to back episodes with reused props could either be budget cuts, or some sort of story arc. I'm keeping my eyes peeled on the next episode.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: S7E2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (SPOILERS)   S7E2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (SPOILERS) - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 4:44 pm

I think one of those robots as from Clone Wars....1B-3PO.

Last edited by Ronpur on Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: S7E2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (SPOILERS)   S7E2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (SPOILERS) - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 4:47 pm

But.... so what if it happens over and over again? It's not even clever...it's just a fact. Time passes between the episodes.... I don't see how that's a bad thing. It could be assumed this amount of time happens in the majority of stories, before this season. That's why I said it's as if there's nothing left to complain about. Every little thing is so awful.

Oh wait....re-using props and dealing with a budget? Oh nooooo, this show clearly sucks...
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: S7E2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (SPOILERS)   S7E2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (SPOILERS) - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 4:50 pm

bret_owen99 wrote:

Once again, we get a 'Time' gap, for all the fan-fic writers to gush over. "Oh thank you Moffat, you have done more for fan fiction than any other showrunner. And Nefertiti too! Think of all the stories we will write!". Meh.

How much fanfiction have you read then? Seriously, don't talk about what you don't know because you're speaking like you're an authority on this yet this ground you stand on is non-existent.

S7E2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (SPOILERS) - Page 3 Tumblr_ma7ckmC8uM1rt1slj
~

Last edited by AppleJack25 on Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: S7E2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (SPOILERS)   S7E2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (SPOILERS) - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 4:51 pm

kcooper76 wrote:
But.... so what if it happens over and over again? It's not even clever...it's just a fact. Time passes between the episodes.... I don't see how that's a bad thing. It could be assumed this amount of time happens in the majority of stories, before this season. That's why I said it's as if there's nothing left to complain about. Every little thing is so awful.

Oh wait....re-using props and dealing with a budget? Oh nooooo, this show clearly sucks...

Doctor Who has never reused props in its 50 49 year history.
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6853
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: S7E2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (SPOILERS)   S7E2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (SPOILERS) - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 5:59 pm

Ronpur wrote:
kcooper76 wrote:

Yes, the Krynoids just happened to resemble the Axons.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: S7E2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (SPOILERS)   S7E2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (SPOILERS) - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 7:21 pm

jaredofmo wrote:
Ronpur wrote:
kcooper76 wrote:

Yes, they were related species. Smile
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 6151
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: S7E2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (SPOILERS)   S7E2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (SPOILERS) - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 7:33 pm

jaredofmo wrote:

Yup. And the Gallifreyan seal on their dress robes just happened to resemble the symbol the Vogans had.

Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: S7E2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (SPOILERS)   S7E2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (SPOILERS) - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 7:34 pm

Cruel Angel wrote:
jaredofmo wrote:

Yup. And the Gallifreyan seal on their dress robes just happened to resemble the symbol the Vogans had.

Exactly....total randomness of the Cosmos!
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2105
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: S7E2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (SPOILERS)   S7E2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (SPOILERS) - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 8:06 pm

First off people, I was making a few observations about the Props, that I had not noticed in the 5 previous Series happening (if they did reuse props in the RTD Era, please, point it out to me). If we are truly going back to the budget/day of the 70's, I for one don't think it's a good thing (then again, I haven't been impressed with most of the Moffat Era CGI monsters.)

AppleJack, I stand on my statement. Every time this has happened recently (Counting 3 times so far), I come online to so many fans "praising" Moffat for giving them a time gap to write stories to fill in. I'm not against fan fiction, just fans who go Ape **** over someone leaving them a time gap for them to fill in, like it was a Christmas present just for them.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: S7E2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (SPOILERS)   S7E2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (SPOILERS) - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 8:23 pm

bret_owen99 wrote:

AppleJack, I stand on my statement. Every time this has happened recently (Counting 3 times so far), I come online to so many fans "praising" Moffat for giving them a time gap to write stories to fill in. I'm not against fan fiction, just fans who go Ape **** over someone leaving them a time gap for them to fill in, like it was a Christmas present just for them.

And what if it was? A tad jealous that you didn't get in on this special Christmas gift from the Moff? Razz
~
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: S7E2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (SPOILERS)   S7E2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (SPOILERS) - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 8:27 pm

Personally, I'd rather they reuse props when available. It saves money and frankly making all new materials for every episode is shamefully wasteful. Besides, it'd be nice if the various points in time would start having a coherent and cohesive theme. That the chair Oswin was in resembles Jenny's chair suggests to me that the Alaska is from the same time period as the whole "Seven Day War" thing.

As for Solomon's control console resembling the Silents' TARDIS...the Silents themselves are a parasitic race. They can't make anything for themselves, so naturally their TARDIS would have design elements of other species'.
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

PostSubject: Re: S7E2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (SPOILERS)   S7E2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (SPOILERS) - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 8:27 pm

I think the break changes something important. Think about the companions' lives: they suddenly disappear from their normal lives for days, weeks, or months. In the case of some companions, they never come back. With Rory and Amy going home in between adventures, it creates a different dynamic. They can live their lives, except when it's suddenly interrupted by an adventure thanks to a strange man in a blue box. (Same dynamic that makes "travel to another world" fantasy adventures so popular.)

Better? Depends on you. Different? Yeah.

As for re-using props and sets, well we've heard they've been watching the budget closely. If it's what they gotta do, it's what they gotta do.
Back to top Go down
rdks
rdks

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: S7E2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (SPOILERS)   S7E2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (SPOILERS) - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 10:19 pm

Well, well, well. 2 Moffat-era episodes in a row that I really liked. What's going on here? I'm supposed to hate his episodes!

What a chaotic mess of fun! Really had a blast watching this one. And Matt Smith blew me away. I think this was his best performance yet as the Doctor. For ages people have been saying how he reminds them of Troughton, but I haven't seen it. I've seen the writers attempting to write him similar to the great Trout, but Smith nailed it in this episode. Especially the beach scene. Everything from his speech to his movements to his reactions screamed Troughton to me. The only problem I had with the episode was seeing those blasted fake Silurians again. I refuse to accept them to be the same 3-eyed cave dwellers from the Classic series (especially since I'd listened to Bloodtide earlier that day).

Plenty of ridiculous things and a few Rolling Eyes moments, but it can all be overlooked since there were many parts I enjoyed. For the last 2 years almost every second has been a Rolling Eyes moment for me, so only having a few is quite acceptable!

And then there was my son. For those that didn't see my post on the previous episode, he's almost 3 and has started watching Who with me. After loving the Dalek episode, this one didn't keep his interest. I even loaded the living room up with dinosaur toys before the episode (including an in-scale Triceratops), but he just keep saying "Dar-Dar... Dar-Dar..." (his word for Daleks). He left the room halfway through the show and came back with an armload of the pepperpots, and played in the corner with them while ignoring the TV. Oh well.

It really is great to enjoy Who again. Back-to-back fun episodes and looking forward to next week. It's been too long since I've felt like this.
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: S7E2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (SPOILERS)   S7E2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (SPOILERS) - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 10:27 pm

It's a very dialogue heavy episode with lots of exposition and not a lot of action. I can see how a toddler would get bored of that one.

But still, both this and Asylum really are rocking a Classic Who vibe that I hope persists.
Back to top Go down
jonwes
jonwes

Number of posts : 4627
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: S7E2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (SPOILERS)   S7E2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (SPOILERS) - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 10:33 pm

Speaking of children watching Who, has anyone seen the videos of the 4 year old girl recapping Who? She's pretty awesome. Smile

https://youtu.be/oveaZ-4i5Zg
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

PostSubject: Re: S7E2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (SPOILERS)   S7E2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (SPOILERS) - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 11:02 pm

Another great moment:

S7E2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (SPOILERS) - Page 3 FacepalmRory
Back to top Go down
Evil Monkey Pope
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 2205
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: S7E2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (SPOILERS)   S7E2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (SPOILERS) - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 1:00 am

This had a lot of nice character moments, a plot that wasn't overly complicated, & solid effects ... yet it still didn't knock my socks off for all the things it got right.
I get that the Doctor being forgotten is going to be a major plotline, but why did the ISA know who the Doctor is if he wasn't in Solomon's database? Or did the ISA just decide that a stranger who teleports in with an antique police box with Queen Nefertit is probably an expert on space collisons?
I think it's fine that the Doctor killed Solomon. He was an unrepentant greedy murderer. He had his chance after the Doctor fixed his legs but he kept being awful. There's no point in saving him other then to make him rot in space jail. I just wish the Doctor had killed all the Daleks on the way out of last episode.
Back to top Go down
https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: S7E2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (SPOILERS)   S7E2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (SPOILERS) - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 3:41 am

I LOVED IT!!!

This episode did not disappoint, well, except that everyone got it wrong about the Pterodactyl because it's a Pteranodon and has been so for several several years.

I'm glad to see that the Primeval raptors were actually in it and happily weren't named because if they were called Velociraptors then that might have been very annoying.
~
Back to top Go down
Evil Monkey Pope
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 2205
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: S7E2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (SPOILERS)   S7E2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (SPOILERS) - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 8:10 am

Pterodactyls aren't a scientificly accurate name but it's acceptable as a widely used umbrella term. It's more eggregious that they didn't depict any of the dinosaurs as feathered.
Back to top Go down
https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7000
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: S7E2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (SPOILERS)   S7E2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (SPOILERS) - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 10:10 am

rdks wrote:
Well, well, well. 2 Moffat-era episodes in a row that I really liked. What's going on here? I'm supposed to hate his episodes!

What a chaotic mess of fun! Really had a blast watching this one.

For the last 2 years almost every second has been a Rolling Eyes moment for me, so only having a few is quite acceptable!

It really is great to enjoy Who again. Back-to-back fun episodes and looking forward to next week. It's been too long since I've felt like this.

I feel exactly the same way about what we've seen so far and I, too, hope it's a sign of things to come...

Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: S7E2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (SPOILERS)   S7E2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (SPOILERS) - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 11:40 am

SeaDevil wrote:
rdks wrote:

What a chaotic mess of fun! Really had a blast watching this one.

For the last 2 years almost every second has been a Rolling Eyes moment for me, so only having a few is quite acceptable!

I feel exactly the same way about what we've seen so far and I, too, hope it's a sign of things to come...

I am looking forward to 2 weeks from now...
Spoiler:

Last edited by Ronpur on Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

Number of posts : 7495
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: S7E2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (SPOILERS)   S7E2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (SPOILERS) - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 12:36 pm

Oooo, beware spoilers Ronpur! I'm alright with it personally cos I already knew but others might not be so appreciative. Razz

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
https://www.doctorwhofigures.com
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: S7E2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (SPOILERS)   S7E2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (SPOILERS) - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 12:58 pm

Scary wrote:
Oooo, beware spoilers Ronpur! I'm alright with it personally cos I already knew but others might not be so appreciative. Razz

Spoiler:

Fixed it.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: S7E2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (SPOILERS)   S7E2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (SPOILERS) - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 12:59 pm

And yes, it would be cool!
Back to top Go down

S7E2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (SPOILERS)
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next