15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Who North America
Who North America

Number of posts : 5792
Registration date : 2007-02-01

Worst Sci Fi Movies Empty
PostSubject: Worst Sci Fi Movies   Worst Sci Fi Movies EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 9:17 pm

Here's a topic for the Sci Fi Movies you HATE...

I will get the list started...

Galaxina
Starship Troopers
Spaceballs
Lost in Space (Movie)

Feel free to post your own, or disagree!
Back to top Go down
https://whona.forumotion.com
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Worst Sci Fi Movies   Worst Sci Fi Movies EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 9:51 pm

Definitely agree with the last 3 but never saw Galaxina. I will add the "Day the Earth Stood Still" remake
and 2012.
Back to top Go down
rdks
rdks

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Worst Sci Fi Movies   Worst Sci Fi Movies EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 9:59 pm

I thought Galaxina was fun. Maybe because I haven't seen it since the 80's. I agree on Spaceballs & Lost in Space though!

I hated...

Blade Runner
The Matrix
Terminator series
2001: A Space Odyssey
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Star Trek TMP
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Worst Sci Fi Movies   Worst Sci Fi Movies EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 10:48 pm

I have never like Blade Runner or the Matrix either, despite how popular they seam to be. 2001 is fun to look at, but so boring. 2010 is at least more fun!
Back to top Go down
rdks
rdks

PostSubject: Re: Worst Sci Fi Movies   Worst Sci Fi Movies EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 11:09 pm

Wow, I thought I was the only sci-fi fan who didn't like those. I've never seen 2010, maybe I'll check it out. I figured it'd be worse.
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6853
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Worst Sci Fi Movies   Worst Sci Fi Movies EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 11:12 pm

Surprisingly, I'm not that big on SciFi. I try to watch them, but they don't really grab my fancy.

I watched the original Star Wars trilogy on those "original version" discs they released about eight years ago, and pretty much only liked the first one. (And not enough to buy it. Netflix!)

I also watched Star Trek (2009), Ghostbusters, and Sunshine, and I got that they were good films, but I just didn't care for them.

So, I didn't like those, but I LOVED Doctor Who. Weird.
Back to top Go down
The Castellan
The Castellan

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Worst Sci Fi Movies   Worst Sci Fi Movies EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 6:58 am

Star Wars

Star Trek 2009, was Trek in name only

War of the Worlds with Tom Cruse

The Matrix

Terminator Salvation

Space Balls

Last edited by The Castellan on Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 6151
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Worst Sci Fi Movies   Worst Sci Fi Movies EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 1:16 pm

Im sure there are more out there, I'm just going off the major ones I had the misfortune of seeing:

Star Wars (prequels)
Star Trek 5
Alien 3

Back to top Go down
Ted47
Ted47

Number of posts : 436
Registration date : 2012-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Worst Sci Fi Movies   Worst Sci Fi Movies EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 4:17 pm

Any of the ones made for Sy Fy. That's become a garbage channel now.
Back to top Go down
mattmanw54301
mattmanw54301

Number of posts : 1274
Registration date : 2007-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Worst Sci Fi Movies   Worst Sci Fi Movies EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 5:22 pm

Ultraviolet
Battlefield Earth
Santa Claus Conquers the Martians
Warriors of the Wasteland
Red Planet
Star Wars Episode 1, 2
Back to top Go down
Krynoid
Krynoid

Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2009-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Worst Sci Fi Movies   Worst Sci Fi Movies EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 8:09 pm

rdks wrote:
I hated...

Blade Runner
The Matrix
Terminator series
2001: A Space Odyssey
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Star Trek TMP

?!?

What exactly did you not like about Blade Runner or Close Encounters? Or the first Terminator film? I don't get it. 2001...other than the trippy ending, is very simple, straightforward science fiction.

Or are you just making a joke list to spark discussion?
Back to top Go down
rdks
rdks

PostSubject: Re: Worst Sci Fi Movies   Worst Sci Fi Movies EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 9:36 pm

Krynoid wrote:
What exactly did you not like about Blade Runner or Close Encounters? Or the first Terminator film? I don't get it. 2001...other than the trippy ending, is very simple, straightforward science fiction.

Or are you just making a joke list to spark discussion?
Not at all. I truly did not like any of those films.

Blade Runner, Close Encounters and 2001 I found boring. No particular reason. I've tried to watch each one of them multiple times and just lose focus and interest. I've haven't tried watching Close Encounters or 2001 for many years so I'm willing to give them another shot one day but I've given up on Blade Runner. Just not my cup of tea.

As for Terminator, it was cool when I saw it when I was 13 but it hasn't stood the test of time for me. The second one didn't interest me much and I haven't seen any beyond that one.
Back to top Go down
Calixar
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Worst Sci Fi Movies   Worst Sci Fi Movies EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 9:50 am

rdks... you may enjoy my sister's take on 2001:

Quote :
2001: An Odious Odyssey

Film critic, editor and director Matt Zoller Seitz touted director Stanley’s Kubrick’s 2001: A Space Odyssey as “arguably the greatest science fiction movie ever made.” Critic and film teacher, Gene Youngblood gave it even broader praise when, in his book on film as art, he called it an “epochal achievement of cinema.” But if you are like me, and watch movies (sci-fi or not) to experience memorable characters drawing you into a satisfying story that’s well told, take my word for it: This movie sucks.

Kubrick, who would go on to give us a wonderfully creepy visual representation of Stephen King’s The Shining, and the character driven Vietnam War movie Full Metal Jacket, laid a stinker when he and co-writer Arthur C. Clarke (best known for his 1953 novel, Childhood’s End) devised this non-story as their canvas for science fiction artistry. Considering that the movie was released in 1968, I will admit that the artistry of the special effects is astounding, and that’s nice, but everything in moderation, Stan. Please! Watching up to 20 minutes at a time when the screen is full of an astounding visual effect but nothing is happening to further the plot or develop characters was as boring as watching paint… well, you know.

Honestly, as far as activities go, it is my contention that watching paint do anything is actually superior to watching 2001. At least the paint wouldn’t bombard me with a horrendous soundtrack. And since this movie is 141 minutes long with about 40 minutes of dialogue (and that, the most uninspired dialogue imaginable), you can’t ignore the soundtrack. Was the use of Johann Strauss’ waltz, Blue Danube, supposed to be a joke? Because the absurdity of its inappropriateness was the only thing in this movie that made me laugh. Contrarily, the atonal choral hollerings of György Ligeti’s Requiem made me want to cry because I couldn’t will myself to be temporarily deaf.

The nearly non-existent plot of 2001: A Space Odyssey centers on a mysterious monolith. We see it at the Dawn of Man, which is the portion of the movie where we’re subjected to people in cheesy ape costumes jumping around and grunting for what seems like an eternity, but is actually about 15 minutes. It shows up again on the moon in the “futuristic” year of 2001, where we see the only likeable human in this movie as an adorable little girl (played by Kubrick’s real-life daughter, Vivian) shows up on a Bell “picture phone” when her movie-dad, Dr. Heywood Floyd (William Sylvester), calls to tell her he won’t be home for her birthday because he’s in outer space for a business trip. The monolith taunts us again at the end of the film when we finally see Astronaut Dave Bowman (Keir Dullea), apparently captured in a well-appointed mansion someplace beyond the planet Jupiter, where he ages, eventually turns into a fetus, floats through space: The End.

There are a number of bland and forgettable characters in this movie including Astronaut Frank Poole (Gary Lockwood), the aforementioned Bowman, Dr. Floyd and daughter, as well as some nameless Russians. It is worth mentioning that none of the actors in this film went on to do anything else of significance (unless you consider Lockwood’s guest appearances on TV shows like TJ Hooker and Murder She Wrote significant.) Perhaps their insipid portrayals of expressionless characters in 2001 killed their careers. After all, the humans were all out-acted by HAL 9000, an artificial intelligence super computer, who is represented by nothing more than red lights on a spaceship’s consoles and an ethereal voice (done by Douglas Rain). HAL alone shows a spark of humanity when he goes mad and begins killing the crew. If I had thought it would make this movie end sooner, I would have jumped in there and helped him finish them off.

Well-known movie critic Roger Ebert, who attended the premiere of 2001 at the Pantages Theater, tells a story about actor Rock Hudson storming out of the premiere during the movie while saying, “Will someone tell me what the heck this is about?” I understand Rock’s frustration. What does it all mean? What is the monolith? What is going on? I don’t know, and Kubrick’s tediously monotonous film didn’t give me enough reason to care about the mysterious mythology he tried to create. Just as long as I never have to sit through another viewing of 2001: A Space Odyssey, I’ll be satisfied.

I understood the film a bit more than she did, having read the book, but honestly, I didn't care for it, either.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikaljohnson.com
masterkhan
masterkhan

Number of posts : 631
Registration date : 2011-10-14

PostSubject: Re: Worst Sci Fi Movies   Worst Sci Fi Movies EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 5:26 pm

2001 is one of the best sfx films ever made, biblical to many model makers.
But i understand how sci fi fans loathe it.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Worst Sci Fi Movies   Worst Sci Fi Movies EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 5:43 pm

Yep, the sfx were great, but you need more than effects to carry a movie.
Back to top Go down
rdks
rdks

PostSubject: Re: Worst Sci Fi Movies   Worst Sci Fi Movies EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 5:53 pm

Calixar wrote:
rdks... you may enjoy my sister's take on 2001:
Wow, she really didn't like it! Love the Rock Hudson quote, that had me laughing!

masterkhan wrote:
But i understand how sci fi fans loathe it.
I don't loathe it, just found it uninteresting. Maybe I'd have a different opinion if I'd read the book since I haven't enjoyed any of Kubrick's films.
Back to top Go down
Who North America
Who North America

PostSubject: Re: Worst Sci Fi Movies   Worst Sci Fi Movies EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 6:20 pm

My thoughts...

I enjoy the model work for 2001. Much of the movie itself I do not enjoy, although I like the ending. Would work well to Yes music.

The problem with Blade Runner has always been how little I care about anything or anyone in the film. I enjoy the music because I like Vangelis, and I find much of the city evocative when coupled with the music, but the movie never made me care about the characters or the overall plot.
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 6151
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Worst Sci Fi Movies   Worst Sci Fi Movies EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 7:56 pm

I pretty much agree on 2001. I knew of it, but never watched it. I was interested in seeing 2010 when it came out, so I got the 2001 novel to prep for it. WAY different than the film when I finally decided to see it after I saw 2010.
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2105
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Worst Sci Fi Movies   Worst Sci Fi Movies EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 8:41 pm

Who North America wrote:
My thoughts...

I enjoy the model work for 2001. Much of the movie itself I do not enjoy, although I like the ending. Would work well to Yes music.

The problem with Blade Runner has always been how little I care about anything or anyone in the film. I enjoy the music because I like Vangelis, and I find much of the city evocative when coupled with the music, but the movie never made me care about the characters or the overall plot.

I (as a Blade Runner fan) have to ask what version you have watched. My first viewing (other than when I was a child, and utterly afraid of Rutger Hauer) was of the Theatrical Cut, which included the Voiceover Narration. While it wasn't well written for the film (or read with enthusiasm by Harrison Ford) I like that version better than the original Director's Cut that did not have the Voiceover. The Voiceover helped me understand the character's better, and after that I gave the other edits a try.

The Final Cut is my second favorite cut of the film, however, they changed a few audio parts which I felt was unneeded, and the ending is the one from the original Director's Cut, not the theatrical ending.

I'm not saying you will absolutely like any version, however, I feel that if my first exposure had been the Director's Cut, and not the Theatrical Version, I would have been bored and not given the film a second chance.
Back to top Go down
Who North America
Who North America

PostSubject: Re: Worst Sci Fi Movies   Worst Sci Fi Movies EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 8:10 am

I personally prefer the Director's Cut to the original version, but again, the problem I have is I really never connect to any of the characters.

On the other hand, I really like The Island because I like the characters, their development, and the overall story. Blade Runner does not have any real character development. It has a style, which I would define as sci fi/film noir, but it is more archetypal characters (the detective, the corporate executive/parent figure, the rebel "child" figure, etc).
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Worst Sci Fi Movies   Worst Sci Fi Movies EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 8:59 am

I loved building the models from 2001. I look at my Moonbus model and it has little plastic people in it. Those plastic people have more personality than the characters in the movie. 2010 went the opposite direction and tried to give us larger than life characters and tried to explain the first movie.

And Blade Runner, I loved the cars (still never built a model of the Spinner) and the visuals of the city. But, I really had no idea what was going on and really didn't care. I am not sure what happened or why that is. I like Ridley Scott's other movies and everything Harrison Ford has done, even Mosquito Coast!! And I even read the Philip K.Dick story, but the movie just leaves me....blah.

And the Matrix.......I just hate everything about that story. Doctor Who did the Matrix much better!
Fancy effects didn't save that story for me either.
Back to top Go down
The Castellan
The Castellan

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Worst Sci Fi Movies   Worst Sci Fi Movies EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 5:20 pm

Cruel Angel wrote:
I pretty much agree on 2001. I knew of it, but never watched it. I was interested in seeing 2010 when it came out, so I got the 2001 novel to prep for it. WAY different than the film when I finally decided to see it after I saw 2010.
The main reason for doing Jupiter as opposed to Saturn in the book, was that Saturn was very difficult to render convincingly in 1968. And Clark used Saturn, especially because, somehow, he knew about weird thing regarding Saturn, especially its moon, the mysterious Iapitus. He also gave us a nod at stuff like secrecy regarding earth shattering news like the discovery of intelligent life beyond our world in Floyd's "..aware of cultural shock..." and so on.

And it's my biggest fear that, seeing recent rubbish like Star Trek 2009, that science fiction is going to be reduced to nothing but popcorn action flicks with just stuff blowing up every 5 minutes and overused CGI, and that stuff like 2001 is a lost at.
Back to top Go down
mattmanw54301
mattmanw54301

Number of posts : 1274
Registration date : 2007-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Worst Sci Fi Movies   Worst Sci Fi Movies EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 6:44 pm

The Ice Pirates.
Back to top Go down
Krynoid
Krynoid

Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2009-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Worst Sci Fi Movies   Worst Sci Fi Movies EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 12:33 am

Jeez, you people keep listing movies that should be in the other topic, the favs.

The Ice Pirates was great fun! Karate Robots! I was just thinking of digging that out for my nephew.

You want bad sci-fi movies, take stuff like Universal Soldier, Robot Wars, Nemesis 1&2 or the infamous Slave Girls From Beyond Infinity that features the line:

I think that the normal laws of time and space no longer apply...(as woman walks into a fog).

Back to top Go down
hitman hart
hitman hart

Number of posts : 1150
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Worst Sci Fi Movies   Worst Sci Fi Movies EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 7:43 pm

the doctor who movies with peter cushing!! mu hahah muhhh hahahahahhaha
Back to top Go down

Worst Sci Fi Movies
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Life, the Universe and Everything :: Sci Fi Discussion-
Jump to: