16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Just Scott
Just Scott

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2012-01-11

More future network cancellation fodder Empty
PostSubject: More future network cancellation fodder   More future network cancellation fodder EmptyWed May 16, 2012 8:19 am

I smell trouble already!?!

Nothing that hasn't been seen before - either on the small screen or the silver screen.

Originality has gone right out the window.

Last edited by Just Scott on Wed May 16, 2012 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: More future network cancellation fodder   More future network cancellation fodder EmptyWed May 16, 2012 8:34 am

They look good, really like Zero Hour. I am glad ABC is trying some dramas and not just reality crap. I hope some make it.
Back to top Go down
Just Scott
Just Scott

PostSubject: Re: More future network cancellation fodder   More future network cancellation fodder EmptyWed May 16, 2012 8:36 am

Only time will tell Ron! Fingers crossed though - I am getting tired of reality (except Survivor)

No promo video for it yet but, Elementary starring Johnny Lee Miller as Holmes & Lucy Liu as Watson has a stench round it already!! Razz
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: More future network cancellation fodder   More future network cancellation fodder EmptyWed May 16, 2012 9:47 am

I'm still cheezed off about Pan Am getting grounded! Collette should be the next companion for the Doctor!
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2105
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: More future network cancellation fodder   More future network cancellation fodder EmptyWed May 16, 2012 12:50 pm

The Following has an interesting story, if they can pull it off. Alcatraz and Awake had good ideas, but they just couldn't connect with viewers.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: More future network cancellation fodder   More future network cancellation fodder EmptyWed May 16, 2012 1:02 pm

Just Scott wrote:
Only time will tell Ron! Fingers crossed though - I am getting tired of reality (except Survivor)

No promo video for it yet but, Elementary starring Johnny Lee Miller as Holmes & Lucy Liu as Watson has a stench round it already!! Razz

Being a Holmes nut, I haven't given up yet on Elementary.
Back to top Go down
squishy
squishy

Number of posts : 2485
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: More future network cancellation fodder   More future network cancellation fodder EmptyWed May 16, 2012 5:19 pm

Ronpur wrote:
Just Scott wrote:

Being a Holmes nut, I haven't given up yet on Elementary.

Male Sherlock with a female Watson? American writers are to make it? Sounds like a whole lot of "will they or won't they" with maybe a couple mysteries on the side. Holmes when done correctly is about the adventure and mystery.

It could be a fine show, but why reference Holmes if it won't be done in the spirit of Doyle? Why not call it Moonlighting, Bones, or Castle if that's what you're making?
Back to top Go down
guvnagrover
guvnagrover

Number of posts : 1032
Registration date : 2012-05-06

PostSubject: Re: More future network cancellation fodder   More future network cancellation fodder EmptyWed May 16, 2012 5:53 pm

Here is a featurette for the U.S. Sherlock Holmes show 'Elementary':

Back to top Go down
Just Scott
Just Scott

PostSubject: Re: More future network cancellation fodder   More future network cancellation fodder EmptyWed May 16, 2012 5:59 pm

Looks promising.

As said by @squishy before, hope it won't go down the "will they - won't they?" line like Bones & Castle.
Back to top Go down
rdks
rdks

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: More future network cancellation fodder   More future network cancellation fodder EmptyWed May 16, 2012 6:01 pm

Ah, it's set in modern times. My interest just flew out the window. Just another NYC detective show. Yawn.
Back to top Go down
Just Scott
Just Scott

PostSubject: Re: More future network cancellation fodder   More future network cancellation fodder EmptyWed May 16, 2012 6:04 pm

Warehouse 13 was supposed to get a spin off show about their HG Wells character.

It was supposed to be set in Wells' time & could have lasted a season or 2?
Back to top Go down
guvnagrover
guvnagrover

PostSubject: Re: More future network cancellation fodder   More future network cancellation fodder EmptyWed May 16, 2012 6:08 pm

Just Scott wrote:
Warehouse 13 was supposed to get a spin off show about their HG Wells character.

It was supposed to be set in Wells' time & could have lasted a season or 2?

I didn't know about that - is it still happening or did they decide not to go forward?

Regarding 'Elementary', I'll probably watch the pilot and see what it's like; however, I feel that I'm too spoiled with BBC's 'Sherlock', so that may ruin it for me...
Back to top Go down
Just Scott
Just Scott

PostSubject: Re: More future network cancellation fodder   More future network cancellation fodder EmptyWed May 16, 2012 6:11 pm

The 4th wrote:

I didn't know about that - is it still happening or did they decide not to go forward?

Regarding 'Elementary', I'll probably watch the pilot and see what it's like; however, I feel that I'm too spoiled with BBC's 'Sherlock', so that may ruin it for me...

Not too sure really? These things have a habit of fizzling out!

Sherlock really has taken the genre to a whole new level. Just wish they hadn't went down the female Watson route! Guess it's the only way to make it stand out?
Back to top Go down
guvnagrover
guvnagrover

PostSubject: Re: More future network cancellation fodder   More future network cancellation fodder EmptyWed May 16, 2012 6:19 pm

Just Scott wrote:

Sherlock really has taken the genre to a whole new level. Just wish they hadn't went down the female Watson route! Guess it's the only way to make it stand out?

More than likely; also probably taking a queue from the Battlestar Galactica re-imagining by making Starbuck a female.
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6853
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: More future network cancellation fodder   More future network cancellation fodder EmptyWed May 16, 2012 6:33 pm

Ugh. We don't need "Elementary." It turns Sherlock Holmes into another crime show when we have "Sherlock" which is TOTALLY awesome and on freakin' PBS (so no "Oh, I don't get that channel!" crap). After seeing that, this looks beyond tame in comparison. All that's different: NYC, Watson's a girl. Wow... What a twist...
Back to top Go down
The Castellan
The Castellan

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: More future network cancellation fodder   More future network cancellation fodder EmptyFri May 18, 2012 3:17 pm

I gave up on mainstream television years ago. Razz

I equate mainstream TV with that joke about NBC:

Nothing But Crap! alien
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 6151
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: More future network cancellation fodder   More future network cancellation fodder EmptyFri May 18, 2012 3:40 pm

The Castellan wrote:

I've done the same myself over the past few years. There are only a couple of shows I still like, and I just wait for the season sets to come out on dvd. Can watch them all at once, whenever I want, and not have to deal with commercials.

I still check out the new lineups and see if there would be anything I'd like. Not much, and like the theme of the thread... the shows that I'd probably like would end up getting cancelled inside of a half or full season.

If it wasn't for sports, I'd get rid of cable all together.

Back to top Go down
The Castellan
The Castellan

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: More future network cancellation fodder   More future network cancellation fodder EmptySat May 19, 2012 7:24 am

Cruel Angel wrote:
The Castellan wrote:

I've done the same myself over the past few years. There are only a couple of shows I still like, and I just wait for the season sets to come out on dvd. Can watch them all at once, whenever I want, and not have to deal with commercials.

I still check out the new lineups and see if there would be anything I'd like. Not much, and like the theme of the thread... the shows that I'd probably like would end up getting cancelled inside of a half or full season.

If it wasn't for sports, I'd get rid of cable all together.

I don't even watch sports, I prefer to participate in them rather than watch.

Besides, one's brain will be thankful upon turning off the TV, especially with all this reality smeg and poorly written piles of feces that's supposed to be considered dramas.

Even to this day, I have no clue as to why this Snookie person did to be so damned talked about scratch , and saddened that some people know more about American Idol than they know what's going on around them. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
guvnagrover
guvnagrover

PostSubject: Re: More future network cancellation fodder   More future network cancellation fodder EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 9:44 pm

Here is a 'First Impression' of CBS' Sherlock rip-off, (er, re-imagining of Sherlock Holmes) "Elementary" per TVLine:

THE SHOW | CBS’ Elementary (Thursdays, 10/9c)

THE CAST | Jonny Lee Miller (Eli Stone), Lucy Liu (Southland) and Aidan Quinn (Prime Suspect)

THE SET-UP | Miller, here getting to keep his British accent, is Sherlock Holmes, a onetime homicide detective for Scotland Yard and recovering addict now serving as a consultant for the NYPD. Liu plays Joan Watson, a surgeon-turned-sober companion hired by Holmes’ father to keep him away from his smack of choice, while Quinn is Sherlock’s police liaison, Capt. Tobias “Toby” Gregson.

THE FIRST IMPRESSION | With Sherlock currently wowing the crowds on BBC One (and Stateside via PBS), the challenge for CBS was to cook up its own take on the iconic sleuth, ergo the NYC trappings and the gender switch for his No. 1. And while Miller’s Sherlock is every bit as cocksure and brusque as the one played by Benedict Cumberbatch across the pond (or Robert Downey Jr.’s big-screen incarnation), that doesn’t make his performance any less entertaining. (That said, while plenty colorful — and plentifully tattooed — he comes off as perhaps 20 percent less “alien” than Sherlock‘s Holmes.) Though Liu is in most every scene with Miller, Watson is required to spend the pilot being taken aback by her ward’s eccentricities and prowess and having her own inner demons sussed out by his hyper-observational skills; as such, she is only allowed an instance or two to “pop” in her own right. (And while I won’t judge her New York Mets fandom, I will choose to look sideways at her matter-of-factly receiving a cell phone call in an underground subway car. Possible? Sure. But rare.) Nonetheless, Liu shows signs of proving a good match for Miller; surely her character will be fleshed out now that the initial groundwork has been laid.
To those proactively cringing at the idea of Elementary playing a Will They/Won’t They thing ‘tween Holmes and Watson, you will find zero indication of that being on the books; the “warm” closing exchange of the trailer posted below is not an accurate edit. We can only hope the inevitable cadre of ‘shippers don’t get carried away.

THE TVLINE BOTTOM LINE | There’s no mystery here — Elementary is poised to be another hit for CBS. Sharing DNA with (and co-opting a time slot from) that super-observant Mentalist and on the same network that just revived Unforgettable‘s details-obsessed Carrie Wells, the Sherlock Holmes branding is but icing on the cake (or cream on the trifle). Meanwhile, the competitive landscape presents a two-horse race, with ABC’s juicy/buzzy (and yet somewhat unproven) Scandal the only major contender and Elementary enjoying a beefier lead-in (Person of Interest aka last season’s most-watched freshman drama).

Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: More future network cancellation fodder   More future network cancellation fodder EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 11:14 pm

Wait, what... they've turned Mycroft into Sherlock's father??

I want to give "Elementary" a shot but my fear is more that it'll try to take over "Due South", but there's nothing in Johnny Lee Miller's performance that is making me worry about this anymore.

"Elementary" is just another crime show but with a posh British actor in it.

I'd love to see it for the wit, but if I want to see an American show about an eccentric detective I can always watch "Monk", which will probably be better.
~
Back to top Go down
CGren123
CGren123

Number of posts : 2368
Registration date : 2009-12-23

PostSubject: Re: More future network cancellation fodder   More future network cancellation fodder EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 8:14 am

AppleJack25 wrote:

I want to give "Elementary" a shot but my fear is more that it'll try to take over "Due South", but there's nothing in Johnny Lee Miller's performance that is making me worry about this anymore.

I'd love to see it for the wit, but if I want to see an American show about an eccentric detective I can always watch "Monk", which will probably be better.
~

Mycroft is Papa Sherlock?! Nooooooooooo. Just no. Bad American TV Series! Bad!

Back to top Go down
hitman hart
hitman hart

Number of posts : 1150
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: More future network cancellation fodder   More future network cancellation fodder EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 8:37 am

cbs already has a male female show where elaborate schems and murders are sloved, its called castle.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: More future network cancellation fodder   More future network cancellation fodder EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 4:30 pm

hitman hart wrote:
cbs already has a male female show where elaborate schems and murders are sloved, its called castle.

With Nathan Fillon too...
~
Back to top Go down
guvnagrover
guvnagrover

PostSubject: Re: More future network cancellation fodder   More future network cancellation fodder EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 4:59 pm

hitman hart wrote:

Castle is on ABC, Elementary will be on CBS. Regardless, CBS still has a show like you described, it's called The Mentalist.

Last edited by The ? Doctor on Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
guvnagrover
guvnagrover

PostSubject: Re: More future network cancellation fodder   More future network cancellation fodder EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 5:01 pm

AppleJack25 wrote:

~

I'll check out the pilot when it airs...but I don't hold out much hope for it. I'd rather wait (however long it takes) for Sherlock series 3.
Back to top Go down

More future network cancellation fodder
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Life, the Universe and Everything :: Sci Fi Discussion-
Jump to: