Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

THE HOBBIT - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: THE HOBBIT   THE HOBBIT - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 8:11 am

I wonder if the Necromancer was one of the revisions Tolkien did after he wrote LOTR to help tie the two stories together. I have never read the original version, but I know the part when Bilbo meets Gollum changed a lot.
Back to top Go down
Calixar
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: THE HOBBIT   THE HOBBIT - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 9:09 am

There's a great edition that maps all of the changes done (as well as other things like what his inspirations were and such). It's called The Annotated Hobbit.

http://www.amazon.com/Annotated-Hobbit-Douglas-Anderson/dp/B000V5WH96/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1355231346&sr=1-1&keywords=the+annotated+hobbit
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikaljohnson.com
The Castellan
The Castellan

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: THE HOBBIT   THE HOBBIT - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 9:18 am

Ronpur wrote:
I wonder if the Necromancer was one of the revisions Tolkien did after he wrote LOTR to help tie the two stories together. I have never read the original version, but I know the part when Bilbo meets Gollum changed a lot.
Gollum just lets him go and the ring was just supposed to be a random, but magic ring.
Back to top Go down
jonwes
jonwes

Number of posts : 4627
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: THE HOBBIT   THE HOBBIT - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 9:40 am

Calixar wrote:
There's a great edition that maps all of the changes done (as well as other things like what his inspirations were and such). It's called The Annotated Hobbit.

http://www.amazon.com/Annotated-Hobbit-Douglas-Anderson/dp/B000V5WH96/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1355231346&sr=1-1&keywords=the+annotated+hobbit

Very cool! I'm tempted to read that because I bet it'd be interesting, after having just read the leatherette bound edition.
Back to top Go down
Calixar
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: THE HOBBIT   THE HOBBIT - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 11:20 am

When I read the Annotated Hobbit back about 2000 I loved it. It was really interesting to see some of the anecdotal stuff like a hike through the Alps and how it inspired the dueling giants and, as pointed out above, the changes made to bring it more in line with LotR.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikaljohnson.com
jonwes
jonwes

PostSubject: Re: THE HOBBIT   THE HOBBIT - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 12:49 pm

I ordered one! Thanks again for the suggestion. I find the idea that he changed (and kept changing it) fascinating so this is right up my alley.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: THE HOBBIT   THE HOBBIT - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 3:17 pm

It is a good thing there was no internet around when Tolkien revised his work to make it fit in better with a sequel, he would have been the target of as much hate as George Lucas!! LOL
Back to top Go down
jonwes
jonwes

PostSubject: Re: THE HOBBIT   THE HOBBIT - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 10:29 pm

I enjoyed The Hobbit a lot. I'm not sure it's highest highs are as good as the best of The Lord of the Rings, but I found it hugely enjoyable. I thought the movie breezed right by. I worry about the attention spans of some of the professional reviewers who said it dragged. I didn't get that at all. Funnily enough, while there is a good amount added in, there isn't a TON. Believe or not, most of the run time is just taken from the book. People talk about how short the book is, but really that's partly because Tolkien would summarize whole battles or events in a sentence or two. So long to wait for the next one...

Also, I LOVED Radagast. I thought he was a lot of fun. After hearing people compare him to Jar Jar Binks I was freaked out. But I found him highly enjoyable.
Back to top Go down
The Castellan
The Castellan

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: THE HOBBIT   THE HOBBIT - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 12:03 am

jonwes wrote:
I enjoyed The Hobbit a lot. I'm not sure it's highest highs are as good as the best of The Lord of the Rings, but I found it hugely enjoyable. I thought the movie breezed right by. I worry about the attention spans of some of the professional reviewers who said it dragged. I didn't get that at all. Funnily enough, while there is a good amount added in, there isn't a TON. Believe or not, most of the run time is just taken from the book. People talk about how short the book is, but really that's partly because Tolkien would summarize whole battles or events in a sentence or two. So long to wait for the next one...

Also, I LOVED Radagast. I thought he was a lot of fun. After hearing people compare him to Jar Jar Binks I was freaked out. But I found him highly enjoyable.

Professional movie critics = folks who need a life. I always ignore what they say.
Back to top Go down
Just Scott
Just Scott

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2012-01-11

PostSubject: Re: THE HOBBIT   THE HOBBIT - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 5:24 pm

It was AWESOME!!
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6853
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: THE HOBBIT   THE HOBBIT - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 7:16 pm

Just Scott wrote:
It was AWESOME!!
YES IT WAS!
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

PostSubject: Re: THE HOBBIT   THE HOBBIT - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 1:28 am

REVIEW! http://bit.ly/UxE7Tm
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: THE HOBBIT   THE HOBBIT - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 7:07 pm

THATWASAWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!THATWASAWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!THATWASAWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!THATWASAWES
OME!!!!!!!!!!!THATWASAWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!THATWASAWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!THATWASAWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!TH
ATWASAWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!THATWASAWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!THATWASAWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!THATWASAWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!

But now, I have to wait 1 year for the next one.....
Back to top Go down
CGren123
CGren123

Number of posts : 2368
Registration date : 2009-12-23

PostSubject: Re: THE HOBBIT   THE HOBBIT - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 8:38 pm

Okay... I saw this on Friday...

Ronpur has pretty much summed up how I feel about it!

Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: THE HOBBIT   THE HOBBIT - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 9:34 pm

This is by far my favorite quote. With all that has happened the last few days, it sums up a lot of my feelings:

"Saruman believes it is only great power that can hold evil in check, but that is not what I have found. I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. Why Bilbo Baggins? Perhaps because I am afraid, and he gives me courage."

- Gandalf
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

PostSubject: Re: THE HOBBIT   THE HOBBIT - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 1:37 am

So, who's looking forward to the DVD/Blu-Ray?

And then we get the extended edition! (Which was confirmed, unconfirmed, then confirmed again.)
Back to top Go down
jonwes
jonwes

PostSubject: Re: THE HOBBIT   THE HOBBIT - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 9:31 am

Supposedly Jackson is all done with the Extended editions, so it should be solidly confirmed now. Smile
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: THE HOBBIT   THE HOBBIT - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 7:51 pm

Saw it again today, and I think I liked it more!! To me,it seams like all of the book is there, and the extras really help flesh out a small story and provide a great deal of background to what is to come. I loved seeing Radagast and I loved Gandalf saying he has forgotten the Blue wizards. It makes sense that there is an Orc leader to counter Thorin, and I loved his artificial hand. Wish we had seen more of Smaug, but the glimpses we got made me think he is going to be fantastic. I am not sure why the eagles don't talk, maybe in the next one?
Back to top Go down
Who North America
Who North America

Number of posts : 5792

PostSubject: Re: THE HOBBIT   THE HOBBIT - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 9:41 pm

"No reason to talk when you've got nothing to say." - Head Eagle, somewhere in Middle Earth.
Back to top Go down
https://whona.forumotion.com
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

PostSubject: Re: THE HOBBIT   THE HOBBIT - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 10:26 pm

^Gwahir Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Evil Monkey Pope
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 2207
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: THE HOBBIT   THE HOBBIT - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 18, 2012 1:45 am

Aside from some minor quibbles, I greatly enjoyed this movie.
Back to top Go down
https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
hitman hart
hitman hart

Number of posts : 1150
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: THE HOBBIT   THE HOBBIT - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 1:37 am

i don't know what the critics deal is, ive even read where one compared it to episode one and they called slyvester the jar jar binks of the movie! what a load. i loved this movie, i thought it was very well done. i love the lotr trilogy, but it was refreshing to see a movie from this series that even though it had drama was not a over the top drama! lol more of a fun romp. i saw it originally in 2 D and me and my dad just went to see it in imax with the higher frame rate in 3D and i don't say this often but it really was better in the higher rate 3D. only because the special effects imho looked allot more smooth and not as cartoony as cgi can look, it just looked alot sharper and less fuzzy when the action takes off. i admit i havent read the hobbit in 20 years and i havent read all the extra stuff that tolkein did, so i can't really speak to how well it linked up with the books and written word but as a movie, and an action adventure, magnificent!!! i loved it. when the dwarfs sing the song in bilbo's home, i got chills! A++ as far as im concerned. and on the subject of film critics i lost all my respect for them here lately when they gave romantic comedies a A and the new james bond a B, they can stick it where the sun don't shine. lol
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

PostSubject: Re: THE HOBBIT   THE HOBBIT - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 1:54 am

I rather like that The Hobbit moves at a different pace from The Lord of the Rings. The Hobbit gives you Tolkien's world gradually, while in LOTR, you're thrust into it, taken from place to place, and almost see this world end. Not that they did a bad job with LOTR, but now with The Hobbit, we'll have a better attachment to the peaceful time of Middle Earth before Lord of the Rings, which will, I hope, create a richer experience when you view all six films in chronological order. (Which we should be able to do in two years.)
Back to top Go down
jonwes
jonwes

PostSubject: Re: THE HOBBIT   THE HOBBIT - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 2:53 am

hitman hart wrote:
i don't know what the critics deal is, ive even read where one compared it to episode one and they called slyvester the jar jar binks of the movie! what a load.

Agreed! I adored Radagast, and not just because Sylvester was playing him. I thought he was such a unique character for the LOTR films, and I love the design for him. He was a nice contrast to Saruman and Gandalf! I actually just pre-ordered a replica of Radagast's staff from Weta, actually. Smile
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: THE HOBBIT   THE HOBBIT - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 10:44 am

jonwes wrote:
hitman hart wrote:
i don't know what the critics deal is, ive even read where one compared it to episode one and they called slyvester the jar jar binks of the movie! what a load.

Agreed! I adored Radagast, and not just because Sylvester was playing him. I thought he was such a unique character for the LOTR films, and I love the design for him. He was a nice contrast to Saruman and Gandalf! I actually just pre-ordered a replica of Radagast's staff from Weta, actually. Smile

I want an action figure!!
Back to top Go down

THE HOBBIT
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next