Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeSearchRegisterLog inThe Who North America Online StoreLatest images

Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who???

Go down 
+9
Rocco
Biggles
Scary
SeaDevil
Gunny
Ronpur
Cruel Angel
jaredofmo
doctorwhofan11
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 6151
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who??? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who???   Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who??? - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 3:09 pm

For me, the only worthwhile companion is River. I love Moffat, but Amy is just barely one step above Rose in the 'female companion that is the center of the Nu Who universe' mold. My knock against Rory is that he has been mind tricked into thinking Amy is the end all be all girl in the world while she treats him like dirt.

Best companion exit to me would be Amy dying needlessly and Rory can now get on with his life. River joins up as a full time companion Very Happy
Back to top Go down
hitman hart
hitman hart

Number of posts : 1150
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who???   Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who??? - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 3:26 am

i think matt smith is billiant.
i see no differance in nu who and classic who, they are all the same show imo.
im not biased to one or the other, but having said that i am biased to tom baker because hes the one i started with when i was a little kid, watching on pbs, and having no clue at the time my beloved hero would one day become peter davison.
when i watch classic who vs. nu who i tend to have the forgiving eyes of the child who was just happy to wake up sunday morning before the sun came up, before my parents got up, get into moms big reclining chair and be whisked away with my fav doc. my dad would record them cause i couldn't stay up late enough on sat to watch it. a funny thing is that he used to record snl after it for me and then record over them and as i write this i think that show could be used as a model for the way people feel about who. it to has lasted over 3 decades, seen its cast and writers change many times, and seen just as many debates over which cast, writers, or era was better.
i said this somewhere else but i really like the moff and his era, i am enjoying it very much.
one thing i really like is that he has taken the show back to its roots by restoring the daleks and giving the doc back a sense of mortality that i think was lost in jnt's era by constantly throwing in your face that the doctor, at that time had a seeming neverending supply of regenerations.
i don't think moff has done anything wrong, he was given the reins to do what he wanted and hes done that for good or bad.
in a way he was kinda stuck with the love story format because so many fans who have come to the show under rtd only ever knew the show in those terms so he carried it on. also i think it makes the show much more enjoyable for the actors, esp the doctor because hes not a unic anymore. lol
i honestly dont know when the classic series became a competition with the new one?
i love series 5, and im loving series 6, im happy that who is alive and well and anyone who survied the wilderness years i think for the most part feels the same way, i would rather have a season where i thought 50 to 70 percent was great to enjoyable than nothing at all. Smile
Back to top Go down
Eternal
Eternal

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2011-08-01

PostSubject: Re: Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who???   Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who??? - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 7:02 am

Matt Smith is an amazingly entertaining Doctor.
In fact I'd go so far as to say that all 11 Doctors thus far have been great in their role, though some were completely let down by the poor scriptwriting in the 80s. And of course McGann was let down by not even being given a decent chance on screen.
Matt has completely nailed it - he has given us a Doctor that is unlike any that have come before, and yet the same in essence to all of them. Amy and Rory have been wonderful and fascinating companions, but I also can't wait to see what happens to the 11th Doctor when he moves on from his time with them, and his character is led in different directions.
Furthermore, I won't have any more Moffat-bashing, he is brilliant as well. Geez, If it's not RTD bashing, it's Moff mangling... both of them have done a fantastic job with the new series, and I am in awe at how excellent season 6 has been. Not perfect, I'll grant you that, but the perfect TV show isn't coming.... it never will... the ideal vision of Doctor Who is completely subjective. This show has given me more jaw-dropping and thought-provoking moments than any other.
In the new series so far, the amount of episodes that I was less than impressed by could be counted with one hand. I can't complain about a show like this, with over a 95% success rate. I love original Who as well, but the success rate there is more like 65%. Even in the rare moments when Nu-Who is bad, it is worth watching. Just my opinion, of course. It's so good that we fans become frustrated about the details, about the fact that it isn't consistently perfect.
At it's core, Doctor Who is a canvas for great science-fiction ideas, a canvas that has been shared by many different people over 48 years, a picture that changes in style whenever new artists take over the brush. Moffat is a surrealist, and I love surrealists.
Back to top Go down
greenk9
greenk9

Number of posts : 1313
Registration date : 2007-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who???   Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who??? - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 26, 2011 8:56 pm

I really love matt's take on the doctor...I feel that in season 6 he has really taken off in so many unique directions. What really defines the doctor is unpredictability- Matt fits this to a T. I am such an old fan- I love all the doctors- and this is why I love this show so much- depending on my mood I can watch whichever one I want...really it is great to choose between 11 guys! Ha!
Back to top Go down
jean

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2011-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who???   Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who??? - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 01, 2011 4:40 pm

after David, Matt Smith took some getting used to. i think he has done an exceptional job and think he is an excellent actor. sometimes he looks like a 20 year old and at times he looks all of the 900 whatever years that he claims. so sad to see the series end and will be counting the hours til the next one.
Back to top Go down
hitman hart
hitman hart

Number of posts : 1150
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who???   Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who??? - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 02, 2011 5:53 am

to be honest with you guys, i was so in love with chris's doctor, it took me a few episodes to get on board with tennant, i think there is always a period of adjsutment for any who fan at the time of regeration, i mean the polar differances between pat to jon and then jon to tom must have been unbelievable at the time! and in both of those incidences you saw a new production team slash producer and script editor take over and put a huge stamp on it. trying to compare rtd to moffat is like trying to compare barry letts to phillip henchcliff, and the shows were just as if not more drasticlly different in styles, tone, stories, and doctors as we are seeing right now between moff and rtd. i mean if you had grown up on unit stories with a brittish dandy and then were whisked of through time and space with the cosmic child, you would have prob felt just as polarized then as people feel now. bottom line for me once again, matt smith equals awesome! hes a brilliant doctor, not only does he bring his own style to the table but he channels, for me anyway, pat, jon, tom, and even a little tennent and somehow makes it uniquely his everytime hes on the screen. i remember barry letts saying in a dvd extra, i believe he was talking about when it came time to cast for what would become tom baker, he said something to the effect that one of the most important aspects of playing the part is that you had to look interesting even if something wasn't particularlly interesting going on and all the good ones have had that and matt has it in spades.
Back to top Go down

Matt Smith- good or bad for Doctor Who???
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2