Doctor Detroit
Rust
rdks
Scary
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Rate S6E10: The Girl Who Waited
Amazing!
S6E10: The Girl Who Waited - Page 2 Vote_lcap45%S6E10: The Girl Who Waited - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 45% [ 18 ]
Above average
S6E10: The Girl Who Waited - Page 2 Vote_lcap35%S6E10: The Girl Who Waited - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 35% [ 14 ]
Okay
S6E10: The Girl Who Waited - Page 2 Vote_lcap13%S6E10: The Girl Who Waited - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 13% [ 5 ]
Below average
S6E10: The Girl Who Waited - Page 2 Vote_lcap5%S6E10: The Girl Who Waited - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 5% [ 2 ]
Atrocious!
S6E10: The Girl Who Waited - Page 2 Vote_lcap2%S6E10: The Girl Who Waited - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 2% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 40

AuthorMessage
Rocco
Rocco

Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2010-06-30

S6E10: The Girl Who Waited - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: S6E10: The Girl Who Waited   S6E10: The Girl Who Waited - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 10, 2011 10:03 pm

Good episode in my opinion. Definitely better then Night of Terrors. I've never been on for stand alone episodes but i did in fact enjoy this one. THE JACKET RETURNED. I was happy when i saw that haha (:

Although the episode description they gave last week still really didn't describe the episode very well -.-
Back to top Go down
Rocco
Rocco

PostSubject: Re: S6E10: The Girl Who Waited   S6E10: The Girl Who Waited - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 10, 2011 10:04 pm

kcooper76 wrote:
rdks wrote:

And how does a simpleton like Amy Pond just build a sonic screwdriver? I must have missed the explanation. I needed to fast forward a few times due to intense boredom.

The interface instructed her on how to make it.

I wouldn't even try to explain things to him at this point. Hes never going to like another episode as long as Amy Pond is in it.
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6853
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: S6E10: The Girl Who Waited   S6E10: The Girl Who Waited - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 10, 2011 10:10 pm

Great episode with wonderful acting from the cast! I love some of the impossible moral dilemmas. If you had two versions of someone you loved and you had to choose one of them, which would you choose?

And folks, they're not looking for Baby Melody anymore because they did find her. Or rather... she found them!
Back to top Go down
rdks
rdks

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: S6E10: The Girl Who Waited   S6E10: The Girl Who Waited - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 10, 2011 10:12 pm

Rocco wrote:
I wouldn't even try to explain things to him at this point. Hes never going to like another episode as long as Amy Pond is in it.
Wrong. I've enjoyed 5 of the 10 episodes so far this year, and I'm pretty pumped for the next 2. Just because I don't like one character doesn't mean I won't like the episode. There have been a few companions I didn't care for but loved episodes they were in.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: S6E10: The Girl Who Waited   S6E10: The Girl Who Waited - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 10, 2011 10:36 pm

jaredofmo wrote:

And folks, they're not looking for Baby Melody anymore because they did find her. Or rather... she found them!

Exactly. First of all, Melody is not missing. Second, people who hate story arcs are complaining about there not being a mention of it when....well, if there WAS a mention, they would be complaining it is too arc heavy!
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: S6E10: The Girl Who Waited   S6E10: The Girl Who Waited - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 10, 2011 11:54 pm

I loved this one, and I haven't felt this way about a Who episode in a while. To me,it had the feel of a 1st or 2nd Doctor episode: the weird alien location,time line mix up, white robots. Maybe a little Space Museum mixed with The Mind Robber, lol.

But the best part was the relationship between the Amys and Rory. Which would you choose? The emotion of Rory letting one go, the change of old Amy's mind to save young Amy. I loved those bits.

But,most of all, it as the performance of Karen and Aurthur that really blew me away this week. Karen creating a whole new Amy, and the conflicts she felt, and Aurthur and the emotion he showed as he lock his wife out of the TARDIS!! Brilliant!

This is definitely a re-watchable episode!!
Back to top Go down
jonwes
jonwes

Number of posts : 4627
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: S6E10: The Girl Who Waited   S6E10: The Girl Who Waited - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 12:45 am

Such a wonderful, wonderful episode.
Back to top Go down
rdks
rdks

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: S6E10: The Girl Who Waited   S6E10: The Girl Who Waited - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 1:50 am

Watched it a second time, and enjoyed it much, much more. My first time watching I wasn't prepared for such a dialogue heavy episode, so this time I knew what I was getting into and payed close attention and it made much more sense.

What really helped, and what prompted me to watch it again, was Ronpur's comparison to The Space Museum. I love that episode and when I read that I instantly drew parallels to it. So when I re-watched it I did so with the kind of mentality I'd have before watching The Space Museum, and it worked so much better. Good call, Ronpur.

Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: S6E10: The Girl Who Waited   S6E10: The Girl Who Waited - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 2:41 am

rdks wrote:
My first time watching I wasn't prepared for such a dialogue heavy episode, so this time I knew what I was getting into and payed close attention and it made much more sense.

Me too. First time I watched it, I missed the explanation about why the Doctor would get the disease and not Rory (because he has two hearts). It was said so quickly. I picked that up the second time.
Back to top Go down
denali76c
denali76c

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2010-02-18

PostSubject: Re: S6E10: The Girl Who Waited   S6E10: The Girl Who Waited - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 3:07 am

any chance that old amy somehow survived and because of her bitterness and dislike for the doctor killed him in the "The Impossible Astronaut". the doctor did say "oh it's you" to the astronaut. and it could explain why the doctor told amy to stay away when the astronaut emerged from the lake in that he didn't want amy to come into contact with her other self, which might cause a paradox.
Back to top Go down
Rocco
Rocco

PostSubject: Re: S6E10: The Girl Who Waited   S6E10: The Girl Who Waited - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 3:11 am

denali76c wrote:
any chance that old amy somehow survived and because of her bitterness and dislike for the doctor killed him in the "The Impossible Astronaut". the doctor did say "oh it's you" to the astronaut. and it could explain why the doctor told amy to stay away when the astronaut emerged from the lake in that he didn't want amy to come into contact with her other self, which might cause a paradox.

No, she doesn't exist anymore because of young amy being rescued.

I think all 3 of them to stay away because he knew he was about to be killed.
Back to top Go down
Wes Crayon
Wes Crayon

Number of posts : 549
Registration date : 2008-08-26

PostSubject: Re: S6E10: The Girl Who Waited   S6E10: The Girl Who Waited - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 3:25 am

I started off really not liking this -- it was like, "Oh, joy, another running around in corridors episode from faceless enemies with lame catchphrases." It almost felt like a bootleg Silence in the Library for the first 15 minutes or so, and I spent much of that time audibly groaning.

And then Rory discovered Old Amy, and suddenly it turned into this really poignant story about love and loss and abandonment and still very much love. Even though I'm kind of tired of the episodes that focus heavily on the love between Amy and Rory -- I feel like the show's done that effectively and could stand to focus on other things (for instance, the ongoing series arc) -- this was really well done once it got past the initial hurdles. It did kinda drag in places, though; one could easily imagine this story being condensed into 20 minutes. (In hindsight, it kinda had the feel of a very good short story padded to fill a 45-minute timeslot.)

But yeah, I liked it a lot. I didn't think it was amazing, but it was above average for sure.

Oh, and the Doctor? Total dick. This would be a perfect departing episode for Rory and Amy, honestly -- because if I were Rory, I sincerely wouldn't want to travel with him after this (though I guess if they'll stay with him after he fails to prevent the kidnapping of their baby, they'll forgive anything). Also, 36 years? Rory waited for freaking millennia. Someone should have mentioned that. And I agree that the "action" at the end and Amy swordplay throughout was really, really weak. Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.scary-crayon.com/
Rocco
Rocco

PostSubject: Re: S6E10: The Girl Who Waited   S6E10: The Girl Who Waited - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 3:38 am

Wes Crayon wrote:
Also, 36 years? Rory waited for freaking millennia. Someone should have mentioned that.

Someone answered this:

I get that Rory waited way longer for Amy, but there is a crucial difference,and it lies in agency. Rory chose to wait 2000 years, and he’s awesome and wonderful and perfect for that. I’m sure it was terrible and hard, but the point is, he wanted to do it.

Amy didn’t want to wait even a day, let alone 36 years, but she was never given the choice. So yes, Amy has the right to complain that they left her, because she never asked to be left behind. Rory did.

I'd like to add, Rory protected amy, he had a purpose in his mind, Amy was just left their to wonder if she'd ever be rescued.
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6853
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: S6E10: The Girl Who Waited   S6E10: The Girl Who Waited - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 8:18 am

People on IMDb are now theorizing that old Amy survives and becomes Madame Kovarian. Weird theory, but I don't really think so.
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

Number of posts : 7495
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: S6E10: The Girl Who Waited   S6E10: The Girl Who Waited - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 8:29 am

Rocco wrote:
kcooper76 wrote:
rdks wrote:

And how does a simpleton like Amy Pond just build a sonic screwdriver? I must have missed the explanation. I needed to fast forward a few times due to intense boredom.

The interface instructed her on how to make it.

Although I usually share the same opinions of you every week, Rocco, is there any need to snipe at people just because their opinions are different? Instead of accusing people of 'never liking a new episode again so long as Amy or whoever is in it,' maybe you should anticipate asking people why their opinions are different and what makes them feel the way they do? The world is beaming with diversity, no one is the same, so we should all enjoy the fact that everyone will say something different instead of smashing it because they're not thinking on the same lines as you.
Back to top Go down
https://www.doctorwhofigures.com
Scary
Scary

PostSubject: Re: S6E10: The Girl Who Waited   S6E10: The Girl Who Waited - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 8:36 am

kcooper76 wrote:
jaredofmo wrote:

Exactly. First of all, Melody is not missing. Second, people who hate story arcs are complaining about there not being a mention of it when....well, if there WAS a mention, they would be complaining it is too arc heavy!

I agree with that Cooper, but in my case I want the story arc to be present in each episode... Otherwise these stand alone stories basically count for nothing and are, in regards to the bigger picture, pointless and a waste of time.

Moffat is always saying that time can be rewritten. In fact, this episode is an example of that! So if time can be rewritten why can they not go back and save Melody as a baby and allow Amy and Rory to raise her properly? It just doesn't make any sense to me that they're like "Oh well she's Mels, she's River, so she must be fine in the end.. Let's just get on with it!" The fact is that even though Amy and Rory grew up with their daughter in the same school and village etc, Melody/River is still an insane sycopath that wants to kill the Doctor. Surely they'd like to change that? confused
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: S6E10: The Girl Who Waited   S6E10: The Girl Who Waited - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 8:42 am

Second time though, and still catching little details and stuff I missed. Subtle looks between Amy, Amy and Rory. Very well acted.

But anyway, this episode made me think of something that I was thinking of while watching Day of the Daleks. The rebels are trying to change the future that they live in....what a moral quandary, trying to erase your own existence, to make the world better, sure, but what a sacrifice. But Old Amy was not ready to make this sacrifice, until the end, to give Rory the ultimate gift, growing old with her.

I love these kind of stories about time travel!!
Back to top Go down
CrochetOwl

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2008-01-08

PostSubject: Re: S6E10: The Girl Who Waited   S6E10: The Girl Who Waited - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 9:00 am

So far, I haven't been impressed with Moffat's view of the show. It's become a space opera for the most part. This episode FINALLY got back to the heart of the series and that is why I loved it. This is what I would call a classic for the new series. Even last week's episode was okay. It appears that there is a new theme to the second half of the current series (reminds me of Tom Baker's gothic season early on in his reign which has many of my fave episode) that should have taken root far earlier. Bring on more of these standalone episodes and less of the River Song saga/space opera and you might actually have me looking forward to the show once again rather than watching it out of habit. Lastly, what is it with Moffat's fascination that one of the characters has to currently die in almost each and every episode - enough of that already.
Back to top Go down
cakejedi

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2010-09-06

PostSubject: Re: S6E10: The Girl Who Waited   S6E10: The Girl Who Waited - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 9:51 am

Scary wrote:
kcooper76 wrote:
jaredofmo wrote:

I agree with that Cooper, but in my case I want the story arc to be present in each episode... Otherwise these stand alone stories basically count for nothing and are, in regards to the bigger picture, pointless and a waste of time.

Moffat is always saying that time can be rewritten. In fact, this episode is an example of that! So if time can be rewritten why can they not go back and save Melody as a baby and allow Amy and Rory to raise her properly? It just doesn't make any sense to me that they're like "Oh well she's Mels, she's River, so she must be fine in the end.. Let's just get on with it!" The fact is that even though Amy and Rory grew up with their daughter in the same school and village etc, Melody/River is still an insane sycopath that wants to kill the Doctor. Surely they'd like to change that? confused

EXACTLY! This is the #1 thing that bothers me about the story. As a dad, I would NOT accept the idea that Mels/River was my baby. WRONG! My baby is being turned into a psychopath by the eye patch lady. I would stop at NOTHING to get my baby back. I would want to raise her properly. I would want to save her from the brainwashing. I would want to give her a better future. That is how a dad would respond. The fact that Amy and Rory so casually gave up on getting their baby back quite frankly makes me sick. This makes the two of them seem almost inhuman and uncaring.
Back to top Go down
jfh1970
jfh1970

Number of posts : 1850
Registration date : 2010-02-13

PostSubject: Re: S6E10: The Girl Who Waited   S6E10: The Girl Who Waited - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 9:53 am

What a great episode and so much better than Night Terrors. I didn't think I would like this story as much as I do when I watched the first five minutes that seemed overly melodramatic. My only complaint is there's no mention of River Song. I know this was a stand alone story, but the Doctor and company act like she doesn't even exist. I was a bit perplexed when the Doctor told the two Amys to think of something strong to bring them all together in one timeline and they think of the macarena when they first kissed Rory. Now I get that's a significant event, but surely that can't be more important than giving birth to a child?

Regardless, awesome story that pretty much hit all the right spots for me. Bring on more stories like this please.

One more thing: These stand alone stories that don't mention River make me feel like Moffatt and the other writers don't work together on making sure that all the episodes relate to each other.

Last edited by jfh1970 on Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:58 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : This Is SPARTA!!!!)
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 6151
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: S6E10: The Girl Who Waited   S6E10: The Girl Who Waited - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 10:55 am

My vote was above average. It was a better standalone than most of the ones lately.

What impressed me the most was what Ronpur touched on. In all these years of Who, they've never really stopped and thought twice about altering the future to bring about a positive change and wipe out a negative one (except Genesis). Now, you actually had someone that could acknowledge that good, but then: hey, don't I have a right to exist and have a say in this too? (not to mention she is the one that's supposed to come out the better for it).
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: S6E10: The Girl Who Waited   S6E10: The Girl Who Waited - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 11:27 am

This one could have easily slipped into the first half of the season, and would have done so even better since they were all on a holiday jaunt to begin the episode, rather than going their specifically to follow up on a baby river lead. Kinda like the 4th and Romana going to Brighton Beach after they collected the 3rd segment of the Key to Time. scratch

FTR - I liked the episode, once I got it downloaded on the third try FINALLY!
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: S6E10: The Girl Who Waited   S6E10: The Girl Who Waited - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 12:29 pm

Wes Crayon - I agree completely about the Doctor. I wouldn't want to stay either.

Rocco - That's a great explanation about the difference between his waiting and her waiting. It really is more of a "You left me, because you didn't care". I do agree with Scary...we all have different opinions, none of them are necessarily right.

Considering this was very much a standalone episode (without even a reference to the Doctor dying)....I doubt it will have to do with any of the upcoming stories, as some have suggested.

And on the baby subject, I still don't see what is so hard for everyone to understand. Their baby is not lost. We have seen much of River's timeline, and taking the baby out of her timeline would mean changing/re-writing everything. River would no longer be there to help The Doctor..or sacrifice herself to save him. 'Not accepting' that River is your child makes no sense.....it isn't in their control.
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 6151
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: S6E10: The Girl Who Waited   S6E10: The Girl Who Waited - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 1:28 pm

kcooper76 wrote:
Wes Crayon - I agree completely about the Doctor. I wouldn't want to stay either.

Yup. If Amy and Rory were going to make the baby an issue, they say see ya to the Doc.

The way I envision how this went down - River's timeline is established, and this is one of those things that the Doc says he can't change. There are things he can change, and others he can't. Yes, it's driven by plot needs, but that's the way the series has always been. Otherwise, the Doc goes right back and takes Adric off the freighter, or prevents Kirksen from boarding the Spar 740.

And if Amy and Rory go the angry parent route and can't accept the bigger picture? All they CAN do is leave. They can't commandeer the Tardis and fly it themselves. They can't make the Doc do anything if he refuses their demands. They get angry, he says this is the way it has to be, they say to heck with him... he drops them back on Earth, and they are stuck. They accomplish nothing at all and the result is the same if they stayed with the Doc.

So by continuing their travels with the Doc, they either 1) have willingly or grudgingly accepted the Doc's take on the baby situation (as many companions have had to do when the Doc tells them No) or 2) they know that if they keep traveling, there is still a slim chance that they might end up in a place and time where they CAN try and change things.

kcooper76 wrote:
Rocco - That's a great explanation about the difference between his waiting and her waiting. It really is more of a "You left me, because you didn't care". I do agree with Scary...we all have different opinions, none of them are necessarily right.

I can buy that, but it still speaks poorly of Amy's take on the reasoning why she wasn't rescued in all that time. With the two separate time streams and knowing first hand how unreliable the Tardis can be... she was awfully set on believing she was abandoned instead of realizing that if the Tardis acted up, a minor hiccup could mean decades for her, as it did. Or, for all she knew, something unforeseen happened to them (say the Doc and Rory got hit with the virus and the cure and both got killed) before they were able to even try to get to her. She was very limited in her thinking, and quick to scrap her trust and faith in the two people she should have known would be coming for her unless something happened to them or it turned out she couldn't be rescued.

But then, this is Amy... not much of a ranking on the Zoe scale Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

PostSubject: Re: S6E10: The Girl Who Waited   S6E10: The Girl Who Waited - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 1:44 pm

kcooper76 wrote:
And on the baby subject, I still don't see what is so hard for everyone to understand. Their baby is not lost. We have seen much of River's timeline, and taking the baby out of her timeline would mean changing/re-writing everything. River would no longer be there to help The Doctor..or sacrifice herself to save him. 'Not accepting' that River is your child makes no sense.....it isn't in their control.

Urgh, I'm just gonna put it all down to Moffat's intent to confuse the fans with his complexed writing. Laughing
Back to top Go down

S6E10: The Girl Who Waited
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next