7 posters
AuthorMessage
Calixar
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

Cloverfield Empty
PostSubject: Cloverfield   Cloverfield EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 3:56 pm

So, this one day in 2008 I was off work and nothing to do and I had a free movie ticket. So, here I was on a Wednesday, completely by myself in the theater watching this film. And I mean there was not one other person there. I had the whole theater to myself.

I remember leaving thinking that I should try to see it again on DVD, but mostly I felt ill. I am somewhat susceptible to motion sickness and left with a horrible headache from the constant motion.

By the time it came out on disc all I could remember was how sick I felt leaving the theater. I never saw it again until just now. I found it for $10 at WalMart.

Wow. The emotion and intensity of this film is incredible.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikaljohnson.com
jfh1970
jfh1970

Number of posts : 1850
Registration date : 2010-02-13

Cloverfield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cloverfield   Cloverfield EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 4:46 pm

I happened to borrow it from the library a while back and it wasn't a bad way to kill some time at all. I was surprised I liked it because when I first saw the previews I thought it looked stupid. There's supposed to be a sequel coming out, but I haven't heard anything about it for a long time.
Back to top Go down
Calixar
Calixar

Cloverfield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cloverfield   Cloverfield EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 5:15 pm

According to something I was just reading, there is also a Manga tie-in that gives some explanation of what the monster is... too bad it's only available in Japanese...
Back to top Go down
jfh1970
jfh1970

Cloverfield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cloverfield   Cloverfield EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 5:56 pm

Calixar wrote:
According to something I was just reading, there is also a Manga tie-in that gives some explanation of what the monster is... too bad it's only available in Japanese...

Offspring of Godzilla? That's actually why I didn't like the previews when I first saw them because it reminded me too much of Godzilla. From what I heard the monster comes from outer space and is seen entering the water on the camera footage that was taken by the couple. I never saw it no matter how many times I looked though.
Back to top Go down
rdks
rdks

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2008-08-22

Cloverfield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cloverfield   Cloverfield EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 6:13 pm

Calixar wrote:
Available here, translated.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

Cloverfield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cloverfield   Cloverfield EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 6:56 pm

I watched this one time,and really have no desire to watch it again.....

Just never even made me the slightest bit scared or shocked.
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Cloverfield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cloverfield   Cloverfield EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 8:37 pm

I remember the preview trailers and how someone misinterpreted a line to say "It's a great big Lion!" and how the internet exploded on how it was going to be a Live Action Voltron movie.
Back to top Go down
Doctor Detroit

Number of posts : 322
Registration date : 2010-05-18

Cloverfield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cloverfield   Cloverfield EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 10:34 pm

jfh1970 wrote:
Calixar wrote:

Offspring of Godzilla? That's actually why I didn't like the previews when I first saw them because it reminded me too much of Godzilla. From what I heard the monster comes from outer space and is seen entering the water on the camera footage that was taken by the couple. I never saw it no matter how many times I looked though.
If you freeze frame at 1.10.22 it splashes down on the horizon to the right of screen.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Cloverfield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cloverfield   Cloverfield EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 10:44 pm

That is a satellite that disturbs the monster in the water and starts all the mayhem.
Back to top Go down
Calixar
Calixar

Cloverfield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cloverfield   Cloverfield EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 11:04 pm

Yeah, I came across stuff about a satellite, too. Looks like there was a lot of viral stuff out there. I hope they get this sequel done so we can know what all of it really was.
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 6151
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Cloverfield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cloverfield   Cloverfield EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 11:17 pm

Ronpur wrote:
I watched this one time,and really have no desire to watch it again.....

Just never even made me the slightest bit scared or shocked.

That was my reaction.

The payoff reveal was disappointing. Hardly any of the characters were bright or engaging enough for me to care if they lived or not. The docu view wasn't well done at times either.

I actually thought Diary of the Dead did the docu-style presentation better. (and was the better film too).

Back to top Go down
jfh1970
jfh1970

Cloverfield Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cloverfield   Cloverfield EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 8:51 am

Whoosier Whovian wrote:
That is a satellite that disturbs the monster in the water and starts all the mayhem.

Ahhhh. So the monster was on earth all the time then. Yeah, I was looking for something much bigger than a satelite which could explain why I missed it. I went to Wikipedia yesterday and looked up info on a possible sequel. It mentions that Abrams said that there will be a sequel, but they're trying to come up with a story that's worthy of the original. The other issue for him too was not enough time because of the many projects that him and his fellow writers are working on.
Back to top Go down

Cloverfield
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Life, the Universe and Everything :: Sci Fi Discussion-
Jump to: