Rocco
Calixar
Cruel Angel
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

Torchwood: Miracle Day  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: Miracle Day    Torchwood: Miracle Day  - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 16, 2011 2:50 pm

Wes Crayon wrote:
The whole thing about the "gay" flight attendant? Stupid and unnecessary.

I don't see how that was unnecessary, but if that bothered you, I wouldn't recommend watching the rest of the series at all Razz

WesCrayon wrote:

Those people are rare? I thought it was Davies most people hated?

Well, certainly not on here. It seems you can count the Moffat fans on one hand here.
Back to top Go down
Calixar
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: Miracle Day    Torchwood: Miracle Day  - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 16, 2011 8:00 pm

It's very annoying to me that I don't get to see this because I don't have a premium package. I wish... I don't know... that BBCAmerica was showing it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikaljohnson.com
rdks
rdks

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: Miracle Day    Torchwood: Miracle Day  - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 17, 2011 12:34 am

I've really enjoyed both episodes. Looking forward to see how it all plays out. I'm hoping the overall storyline can stay interesting for 8 more episodes. So far it's been a great ride.

Episode 1 was promoted like crazy here in Canada. I saw ads for it on mainstream channels that I've never seen Doctor Who ads on (Who and Torchwood are broadcast on the same channel here). Apparently it got the highest ratings for anything ever shown on the channel. It peaked at just under a million viewers, which are awesome numbers here.
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 6151
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: Miracle Day    Torchwood: Miracle Day  - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 17, 2011 11:35 am

Here's my take on these:

Wes Crayon wrote:
Seriously? The whole thing about the "gay" flight attendant? Stupid and unnecessary.

Captain Jack has been that way ever since his intro in DW. He is always dropping innuendos and anecdotes. That's a part of his personality and style.

Now Gwen. Even if it wasn't part of her natural humor and banter before- being in Torchwood for 3 years around Jack, Ianto and Owen, I'd expect Gwen to pick it up herself. Just natural that way.

As far as bantering in a highly stressful and serious situation... it's just like making a joke or trying to laugh. You are trying to diffuse the tension. Again, a natural reaction.

Ever hear someone watching a horror movie try and crack a joke or say something silly? Same thing. Feeling scared, uncomfortable, etc... they do it to try and alleviate the tension.

Wes Crayon wrote:
The way Rex reached up and broke Sierra's neck when cold-cocking her would have sufficed -- presumably only so she could stumble out later with her head facing the wrong way? Ugh.

In that situation, Sierra is in control, and is raining down strikes to his vulnerable spot. He needs to deal with her immediately and decisively. Trying to deliver a KO punch from the ground is not the way to go. The punch is not going to have a lot of power, she can easily see it coming, and react. All it takes is for her to lean back and it misses.

So he manages to reach up and get a hold of her neck and snaps it. Makes perfect sense to me. Take the sure thing if you know you can get it. You can afford to be cute if you are in control. If you aren't, especially up against someone well trained, it's survival mode, not cute mode.

Wes Crayon wrote:

I don't know how competent it is to ask for drinks from people you clearly have reason not to trust

From their perspective, why would Jack and Gwen think they were in danger of being killed? Rex was in charge. He could have killed them at anytime. If he wanted them dead, they would have never made it to the plane. He would have driven them to some isolated spot, either by himself or with agents that wouldn't talk, killed them, and no one would be the wiser. Even if they wanted to make it look like an accident around innocent witnesses, that could have been done earlier as well. No need for the plane trip.

So on the plane, Rex explains his reasoning. Yeah, he didn't go about it the polite way, but it makes sense. This is practically protective custody. He's securing them, and hoping to draw the killers out. That won't happen if Gwen and Jack are dead. They want to get to the bottom of this as much as Rex does. They might not like him or the way he went about it, but they have no reason to believe that they are in danger from Rex.

Up til the plane, it was all Rex and Sierra. No perceived mortal threat from them as stated above.

Now you have the civilians. Unknown quantity. Even if Jack and Gwen are thinking about the killers still gunning for them and the possibility of one of the crew on the plane might be a plant, Sierra went to watch the steward do the drinks. Something you would expect from an agent guarding someone in protective custody from killers.

Wes Crayon wrote:
...not to mention how ridiculous it seemed when people started tearing up as they watched the child murderer's act. Meh.)

That's going to happen too. Just as there are people that could care less about how repentant and regretful a criminal is, there are others that will be sympathetic.

Wes Crayon wrote:
Those people are rare? I thought it was Davies most people hated?

On this forum, there is a lot of love for RTD and hate for Moffat. If you feel the opposite, then you are in a very microscopic minority.
Back to top Go down
CrochetOwl

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2008-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: Miracle Day    Torchwood: Miracle Day  - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 17, 2011 11:52 am

Episode 2 was bit of a let down. The scenes with Jack being poisoned sort of reminded me of DW's Unicorn and the Wasp without the kiss at the end. Also, the Rex character is beyond irritating (both episodes). This only makes me miss Ianto and Owen more. Hopefully it'll get better and less on the Stateside (sorry but this is a UK show and should be more concentrated there). Less is more please.
Back to top Go down
Rocco
Rocco

Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2010-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: Miracle Day    Torchwood: Miracle Day  - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 17, 2011 11:58 am

CrochetOwl wrote:
Episode 2 was bit of a let down. The scenes with Jack being poisoned sort of reminded me of DW's Unicorn and the Wasp without the kiss at the end. Also, the Rex character is beyond irritating (both episodes). This only makes me miss Ianto and Owen more. Hopefully it'll get better and less on the Stateside (sorry but this is a UK show and should be more concentrated there). Less is more please.

>No its a USA show now, so it will be concentrated here.

I have loved it so far. Its entertaining. Good plot going along. Although Rex has been a douche so far i believe he will get better as the series goes on. It definitely feels like old Torchwood.
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2105
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: Miracle Day    Torchwood: Miracle Day  - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 17, 2011 3:17 pm

sorry to break into an argument here, but i will. as much as i enjoyed the last two episodes (not to mention the previous series), i have to agree with wes crayon about the needles sexual jokes/inuendoes.

my point of view is this: the male flight attendant is nice and courteous, well groomed, and has manners, therefore he must be gay. while rex (what a name?) matheson is abrasive, loud, and pretty much a jerk, so he's straight.

thanks go out to russel t. davies, julie gardner and any of the "american" producers for reinforcing stereotypes about who is and isn't gay or straight in america.

that whole character/situation was needless and pointless. it wasn't funny, it was just insulting. it is things like that that make me ashamed to be a straight man in america.
Back to top Go down
Wes Crayon
Wes Crayon

Number of posts : 549
Registration date : 2008-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: Miracle Day    Torchwood: Miracle Day  - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 17, 2011 11:18 pm

Speaking of which, bret, can you imagine a truly straight American man -- let alone a straight black man in America -- offering to let a dude feel him up for a glass of vodka? Maybe if he were a raging dumpster-dwelling alcoholic... but otherwise, no. That whole thing was completely moronic and unfunny from the start, and it started WAY early in the episode.

(Also, on every international flight I've ever been on, alcoholic drinks -- specialty items notwithstanding -- were free. I can imagine them not wanting agents completely wasted on a plane, but I doubt a glass of vodka would be a problem.)

@Cruel Angel: With effort, you can explain pretty much anything that happens in any given scenario on any given show, but pitiful writing that demeans the characters is pitiful writing that demeans the characters. You can explain the neck-breaking thing, but it was clearly done only so they could have Sierra stumble out at the end of the episode with her head facing the wrong way. Otherwise you just have a dude who's supposed to be one of the good guys unceremoniously snapping the neck of a skinny woman who can't even fight on Gwen's level (and then adding insult to fatality by calling her a b*tch on top of it). But because there's that OMGZ AWEZUM special effects payoff (because you know whoever suggested it thought it was the most amazing thing since fork-split English muffins), it all works out! Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.scary-crayon.com/
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: Miracle Day    Torchwood: Miracle Day  - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 18, 2011 6:20 am

Thanx to the worldwide web, I've seen both episodes now. Too impatient to wait the 6 days between broadcast dates over here in rain soaked Blighty! Smile

Quite good so far - loving the concept. Hovever, IMO, there's gonna be a whole lotta padding out to fill 10 episodes worth of content. 6episodes would have been dripping with action but 10 seems to be a touch too much

Willing to give it time & hope that I'm wrong!
Back to top Go down
timewarrior
timewarrior

Number of posts : 4016
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: Miracle Day    Torchwood: Miracle Day  - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 18, 2011 12:39 pm

I liked episode two as well. And for the haters, if you don't like the show. . .then don't watch it. . .

The Timewarrior

providing simple solutions for simple people. . .
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7000
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: Miracle Day    Torchwood: Miracle Day  - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 18, 2011 12:44 pm

All heed to the wisdom of the timewarrior!
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7000
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: Miracle Day    Torchwood: Miracle Day  - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 18, 2011 1:34 pm

I gotta say, I do miss that wonderful, rumbling title theme used in series 1 & 2...
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: Miracle Day    Torchwood: Miracle Day  - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 18, 2011 1:38 pm

timewarrior wrote:
I liked episode two as well. And for the haters, if you don't like the show. . .then don't watch it. . .

The Timewarrior

Dammmmm straight!

I'm just too polite to say it. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: Miracle Day    Torchwood: Miracle Day  - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 18, 2011 1:42 pm

SeaDevil wrote:
I gotta say, I do miss that wonderful, rumbling title theme used in series 1 & 2...

I don't mind missing it in the opening sequence. Like CoE, it gives the presentation more of a drama/ epic feel.

But I do miss it in the end credits. It's a more subdued version. Would be better to end on the original theme and have that faster paced music to keep ya going.
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6853
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: Miracle Day    Torchwood: Miracle Day  - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 18, 2011 4:14 pm

I missed both episodes when they aired. (On vacation one week, just plain forgot the next.) Fortunately, my cable provider offers free Starz on demand as part of my cable package...

I've never liked Torchwood as much as Doctor Who. So far, this season hasn't really grabbed me. Though I did like the whole "make an arsenic antidote" bit.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: Miracle Day    Torchwood: Miracle Day  - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 18, 2011 7:33 pm

Eh...whatever, I've enjoyed both eps so far and will continue watching.

Back to top Go down
Wes Crayon
Wes Crayon

Number of posts : 549
Registration date : 2008-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: Miracle Day    Torchwood: Miracle Day  - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 4:19 am

Guvnagrover wrote:
Nobody said you can't or shouldn't...

timewarrior wrote:

The Timewarrior

Um, thanks? I could just as easily say that if you don't have a thoughtful and non-insulting response to something someone else says, just ignore it. Or, given that your comment carries an unspoken suggestion that -- in addition to not watching anymore -- the "haters" should stop posting in this thread, I could just as easily say that people who love the show should be rewatching the episode instead of spending time here. Razz

Look, the thread is called "Torchwood: Miracle Day" -- not "The Torchwood: Miracle Day Lovefest (NO HATERS ALLOWED)." I, and apparently CrotchetOwl, jaredofmo, and to some extent bret_owen99 (in his most charitable post ever Wink, and no apologies necessary for "breaking into an argument" -- that's generally encouraged in a public discussion thread!) assumed it was a thread for sharing and discussing thoughts on the show whether we enjoyed it or not. It's one thing to respond to a comment the way kcooper76 and Cruel Angel initially did, with humorous rejoinders (@kcooper76: I have seen the other Torchwood series... and apparently my thoughts on them are not for sharing here Laughing) and substantive responses to my criticisms; that kind of comment is at least in keeping with the spirit of discussion (and appreciated, even though I largely disagree with you, Cruel Angel). It's another thing to dismissively suggest that the discussion should only consist of rave reviews and that those who don't like the show should turn off the set and gtfo. I can understand that reaction if a person consistently posted "this sucks" comments in a thread without ever making any attempt to explain that assessment, or deliberately and repeatedly insulted people who like the show... but that's not what happened here.

Anyway, lesson learned at last. These episode "discussion" threads are only intended for people who have overwhelmingly kind things to say -- and opinions to the contrary are entirely unwelcome -- so I'll stop posting in them unless I absolutely love the show in question. I apologize for the digression, and if any of my responses or criticisms of the show came across as personally insulting or overtly hostile to people here. Ja.
Back to top Go down
http://www.scary-crayon.com/
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: Miracle Day    Torchwood: Miracle Day  - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 5:40 am

Wes Crayon wrote:
Guvnagrover wrote:

timewarrior wrote:

The Timewarrior

Um, thanks? I could just as easily say that if you don't have a thoughtful and non-insulting response to something someone else says, just ignore it. Or, given that your comment carries an unspoken suggestion that -- in addition to not watching anymore -- the "haters" should stop posting in this thread, I could just as easily say that people who love the show should be rewatching the episode instead of spending time here. Razz

Look, the thread is called "Torchwood: Miracle Day" -- not "The Torchwood: Miracle Day Lovefest (NO HATERS ALLOWED)." I, and apparently CrotchetOwl, jaredofmo, and to some extent bret_owen99 (in his most charitable post ever Wink, and no apologies necessary for "breaking into an argument" -- that's generally encouraged in a public discussion thread!) assumed it was a thread for sharing and discussing thoughts on the show whether we enjoyed it or not. It's one thing to respond to a comment the way kcooper76 and Cruel Angel initially did, with humorous rejoinders (@kcooper76: I have seen the other Torchwood series... and apparently my thoughts on them are not for sharing here Laughing) and substantive responses to my criticisms; that kind of comment is at least in keeping with the spirit of discussion (and appreciated, even though I largely disagree with you, Cruel Angel). It's another thing to dismissively suggest that the discussion should only consist of rave reviews and that those who don't like the show should turn off the set and gtfo. I can understand that reaction if a person consistently posted "this sucks" comments in a thread without ever making any attempt to explain that assessment, or deliberately and repeatedly insulted people who like the show... but that's not what happened here.

Anyway, lesson learned at last. These episode "discussion" threads are only intended for people who have overwhelmingly kind things to say -- and opinions to the contrary are entirely unwelcome -- so I'll stop posting in them unless I absolutely love the show in question. I apologize for the digression, and if any of my responses or criticisms of the show came across as personally insulting or overtly hostile to people here. Ja.

Amen Wes....Amen!

Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: Miracle Day    Torchwood: Miracle Day  - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 7:22 am

The first episode got me very interested,but episode 2 was just not as good, but I figure that with 10 parts to fill, that may happen. So far, I do not like Rex. And Wayne knight as the FBI boss....sorry too much Newman in him for me, lol. But I still love every scene Gwen is in! Oswald Dane is very creepy, fine job by Bill Pullman there. I just wonder what the point to him will be.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: Miracle Day    Torchwood: Miracle Day  - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 7:25 am

workstinx wrote:
Thanx to the worldwide web, I've seen both episodes now. Too impatient to wait the 6 days between broadcast dates over here in rain soaked Blighty! Smile

Quite good so far - loving the concept. Hovever, IMO, there's gonna be a whole lotta padding out to fill 10 episodes worth of content. 6episodes would have been dripping with action but 10 seems to be a touch too much

Willing to give it time & hope that I'm wrong!

I am so worried about10 episodes too, I hope it isnt too much.

It also makes me think it will be real hard to judge this show until it is all over.

Last edited by Ronpur on Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: Miracle Day    Torchwood: Miracle Day  - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 7:30 am

workstinx wrote:
Wes Crayon wrote:
Guvnagrover wrote:

timewarrior wrote:

The Timewarrior

Amen Wes....Amen!

eh, it was the Timewarrior, he isn't know for his subtle posts. You are either with him or against him!! (All done with a great deal of friendly sarcasm too)
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: Miracle Day    Torchwood: Miracle Day  - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 8:05 am

Timewarrior (aka Fluffy) is just a mean old pussy cat. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
timewarrior
timewarrior

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: Miracle Day    Torchwood: Miracle Day  - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 10:46 am

Wes Crayon wrote:

Struck a nerve have I? Good! Now let that hatred and anger consume you until you have no choice but to succumb to the dark side! Then I shall make you my newest minion and send you forth to do my twisted bidding! Just keep watching my friend. . .let the anger flow. . .and then you will fall TO ME!

THE TIMEWARRIOR!!!!! (insert maniacal laugh here).

And to be honest, I thought I was very cordial and pleasant. . .I mean all things considered (see my other posts). . .I could have hunted you down and destroyed you with my infinite power and unmitigated cruelty. . .you got off with a warning. . .consider yourself lucky. . .very lucky. . .very lucky indeed. . .

workstinx wrote:
Timewarrior (aka Fluffy) is just a mean old pussy cat. Very Happy

Seriously what is with you dude? You have like a serious cat fetish. . .man I hate to see what you do in your spare time. . .for the record, dressing up in fake animal fur and dry humping complete strangers is not how to be a productive member of society. . .it's just plain wrong!

Last edited by timewarrior on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: Miracle Day    Torchwood: Miracle Day  - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 10:50 am

Oh Fluffy.....hush now Very Happy
Back to top Go down
timewarrior
timewarrior

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: Miracle Day    Torchwood: Miracle Day  - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 10:53 am

workstinx wrote:
Oh Fluffy.....hush now Very Happy

updated my comment. . .see above. . .
Back to top Go down

Torchwood: Miracle Day
Page 2 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next