21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
AuthorMessage
CGren123
CGren123

Number of posts : 2368
Registration date : 2009-12-23

Torchwood: Miracle Day  - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: Miracle Day    Torchwood: Miracle Day  - Page 9 EmptySat Sep 10, 2011 5:01 pm

Predictable, disappointing and I saw the ending twist coming a mile off.

My overall rating for the series: 8/10. Some truly brilliant moments, great character build-up for both old and new. But after the build-up, the ending was truly disappointing for me.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: Miracle Day    Torchwood: Miracle Day  - Page 9 EmptySat Sep 10, 2011 5:15 pm

That image is a fake. But the broadcast DID say '2012'. Not January though.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: Miracle Day    Torchwood: Miracle Day  - Page 9 EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 5:45 pm

WAS THAT IT????

10 episodes & that's all thay could come up with? The "blessng" that looked like a stone vagina!!!!!! FFS....surely they did't have to inflict 10 episodes on us where half of that would have been more pacier & the saved cash could've went towards a better blessing idea!

not too happy! Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
timewarrior
timewarrior

Number of posts : 4016
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: Miracle Day    Torchwood: Miracle Day  - Page 9 EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 11:37 pm

an interesting conclusion. Poor Esther. . .liked her a lot. my biggest complaint of the whole series is that they focused too much on how society would react to this situation and not so much on the dark, twisted forces behind it. . .still. . .enjoyed it.
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2105
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: Miracle Day    Torchwood: Miracle Day  - Page 9 EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 2:47 pm

So, I finally got around to watching the ending. I'm going to put it this way, after being disapointed with the prior 2 episodes, I thought they ended it better than I thought they would. That's not saying a lot, though.

1. A lot of this series was just put in there for no reason. The female politician, the religious group, jack's ex boyfriend. All of these things could have been explored in a better way than they did on the show. Every time they introduced a "New" element to the show, it would almost never show back up again (I think all these things were "red herrings", which is just stupid to me).

B. Bill Pullman. Sorry, love the actor, the character of Oswald, and hope he gets nominated for some kind of award for this series. He was really the standout Actor/Character of the whole thing.

3. The "Family". Sorry, I'm just not into New World Order paranoid groups. It just didn't delve at all into their characters, thefore, we lose the actual "enemy" to boo at.

D. The "Blessing". I'm glad someone else made the stone vagina comment, and it didn't have to be me. There is just so much metaphor's you can make with that and Jack. However, that being the case, it made me wonder something. If it affects all humanoid life on earth (Jack being one), if he went into space during this series, would he have become immortal again? My theory is that it only works on earth, and since Jack returned to Earth at the beginning of the series, that is what made him mortal. I could be wrong about that, just something I thought about.

Overall, I thought the ending was better than half the episodes of the series. It started out good, but almost seemed to disapoint week after week.

Personally, Torchwood Series one would be 10/10 for me
series 2 would be 8/10
CoE would be 8/10
Miracle Day would be a 5 or 6/10

I know RTD said he would never return to the "Monster of the Week" format that the show started out with, but I honestly believe that is when the show was strongest. You can't build a team, retire old members, and have characters you actually care about without actually giving it a full season.
Back to top Go down
Rocco
Rocco

Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2010-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: Miracle Day    Torchwood: Miracle Day  - Page 9 EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 12:56 am

So the blessing because of the blood inside of rex's body gave him immortality.

Like someone pointed out above, the miracle only effected Jack while he was on Earth making him mortal and everyone else immortal.

Would the same apply to Rex? Since his immortality was given to him by the blessing on earth, If he left earth he would become mortal again?
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6853
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: Miracle Day    Torchwood: Miracle Day  - Page 9 EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 1:37 am

I still don't understand the blood thing.

I thought Jack being alive was just made a fixed point of the universe and there was nothing really special about his physical body.
Back to top Go down
CGren123
CGren123

Number of posts : 2368
Registration date : 2009-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: Miracle Day    Torchwood: Miracle Day  - Page 9 EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 7:53 am

jaredofmo wrote:

I thought Jack being alive was just made a fixed point of the universe and there was nothing really special about his physical body.

The phrase, I believe, is "Bingo".
Back to top Go down
Rocco
Rocco

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: Miracle Day    Torchwood: Miracle Day  - Page 9 EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 11:01 am

jaredofmo wrote:

It wasn't caused by Jacks blood.

The miracle gave it to Rex because it he had similar properties to Jack.
Back to top Go down
rdks
rdks

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: Miracle Day    Torchwood: Miracle Day  - Page 9 EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 11:12 am

New interview with John Barrowman, dated Sept 27th.

John Barrowman Confident Torchwood Will Return

The gist of it -

"I hope they come back with a new series, but I have to wait. I haven't heard anything yet. I don't know when we will hear. I've been given a date but that date isn't upon us yet. So once I know I still won't be able to tell you but it means I then can plan out the rest of my year accordingly."
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: Miracle Day    Torchwood: Miracle Day  - Page 9 EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 7:35 pm

For everyone not understanding the blood thing, or calling bogus on it, I'll try to explain how I understood it (not to change minds, just what I took away from the show).

Yes, at the beginning of the series they stressed that there is nothing important about Jack's blood. We all know it was Rose Tyler that made him immortal (kind of made me sad that he wouldn't even mention her name, yet he mentions the Doctor all the time).

Second, we were introduced to the reason why the Miracle happened/Jack turned Mortal. "The Blessing" was some sort of parasite/alien entity that lived in the Earth. It would affect the two geographical areas it was in, by limiting the lifespan of the people there to the average lifespan on earth (kind of makes sense if it's some sort of Earth Symbiote).

The Families said that they had to experiment on it several times to get the "Miracle" to happen. The final experiment was them putting Jack's blood (which isn't special in itself, however, I'm sure the blood of an immortal holds some sort of template from the person it's from, which would explain how he heals so quickly) into both openings of the Blessing.

Basically, the family was tricking the Blessing into thinking that the blood was from around the world (since both parts got the blood at the same time), and the Symbiote responded by making everyone's template on earth immortal.

Sure, they arent' indestructable like Jack, but seeing as how all it got was the blood (not whatever Rose actually did to him), it did what it could. Seeing as how the Blessing affected everyone on Earth, when Jack returned to Earth, it sensed him being the opposite, so it had the opposite effect on him.

So Rex is where it gets tricky. To reverse the Miracle, Rex had the blood flowing through him, and he let go of it, just like Jack did. Jack came back to life after dying, and the Symbiote sensing this, reprogrammed Rex to be the same as Jack, assuming they were the same since they had the same blood.

Sure, it's a stretch of the imagination to make all of this work, but so is a giant gap at two points of the Earth, Jack's Immortality, Torchwood, and most of the show. Like I said, it turned out better than I thought it would, and I bought said explanations.
Back to top Go down
Evil Monkey Pope
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 2205
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: Miracle Day    Torchwood: Miracle Day  - Page 9 EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 11:02 pm

But if it set Jack's immortality as the global median lifespan why would it affect Jack who is already set to that lifespan and not a native of Earth anyway?
Back to top Go down
https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
Rocco
Rocco

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: Miracle Day    Torchwood: Miracle Day  - Page 9 EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 11:42 pm

Evil Monkey Pope wrote:
But if it set Jack's immortality as the global median lifespan why would it affect Jack who is already set to that lifespan and not a native of Earth anyway?

It swept over the earth to make the people immortal. Changing them to the opposite of what they were. So when it went by check, it turned him opposite like everyone else. Making him mortal.

Now somebody said since this was happening on Earth then if
Jack would've left he would've been mortal again.

I believe that since the miracle gave Rex the immortality that if Rex leaves Earth he becomes Mortal again but since jack had his before and it was just restored then Jack would stay immortal.
Back to top Go down
Doctor Detroit

Number of posts : 322
Registration date : 2010-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: Miracle Day    Torchwood: Miracle Day  - Page 9 EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 2:08 am

Aside from the possibility that Jack is the Face of Boe, I believe that the Tardis maintains Jacks "immortality" so when the Doctor "dies" tomorrow night, the Tardis will die and Jack will revert to normal.
Back to top Go down
Rocco
Rocco

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: Miracle Day    Torchwood: Miracle Day  - Page 9 EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 1:21 pm

Doctor Detroit wrote:
Aside from the possibility that Jack is the Face of Boe, I believe that the Tardis maintains Jacks "immortality" so when the Doctor "dies" tomorrow night, the Tardis will die and Jack will revert to normal.

Thats false.

The TARDIS hates that Jacks alive. Jack is beyond the Tardis he is a fixed point in time and space. Hes a paradox. Which is why he left jack once Rose brought him back
Back to top Go down
Evil Monkey Pope
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 2205
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: Miracle Day    Torchwood: Miracle Day  - Page 9 EmptySun Oct 02, 2011 4:57 pm

The way it was explained the Blessing issupposed to regulate the average natural lifespan of the world. So if the current median lifespan is 78, it should make everyone live until 78 barring unatural deaths. It wouldn't have an inverse affect on anybody who already fits this template. It only affects baseline human Earthlings because other animals and plants aren't affected. So it acts along the same lines as the healing arch from The End of Time by making everyone a duplicate of the template. We didn't see any extraterrestrials on Earth become immortal, but it feels as if the Blessing should only have an effect on lifeforms that are native to Earth. Jack is the template so why would it make him mortal? It shouldn't affect him because: 1. he already has the lifespan set by the template, 2. he's an alien from several centuries in the future rather than a contemporay Earthling which should make him somewhat incompatible, 3. Jack was made an immortal throughout spacetime by Rose powered up by the Tardis, which should trump planetary interference.
So by its own meager explanation of the Blessing, Miracle Day shouldn't have worked.

Last edited by Evil Monkey Pope on Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
Wes Crayon
Wes Crayon

Number of posts : 549
Registration date : 2008-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: Miracle Day    Torchwood: Miracle Day  - Page 9 EmptySun Oct 02, 2011 10:27 pm

Yes.
Back to top Go down
http://www.scary-crayon.com/
bret_owen99

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: Miracle Day    Torchwood: Miracle Day  - Page 9 EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 4:39 pm

Jack is from the future, and another world, but we never knew how "human" he really is. He doesn't have two hearts like the Doctor. When the Daleks shot him, he died. Who's to say that his people aren't descendants of Earth?

Since his immortality has nothing to do with the Symbiote, but his blood has some of his DNA or template in it, I could see how it fooled the Symbiote. Human blood, at two ends, both Immortal. Remember, it didn't make people indestructable like Jack is. It just gave them his longevity.
Back to top Go down
timewarrior
timewarrior

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: Miracle Day    Torchwood: Miracle Day  - Page 9 EmptyThu Oct 06, 2011 8:19 am

Jack is human, the 9th doctor described him so in the doctor dances. . .alluding to the fact that in the future, the human race would go out amongst the aliens and dance with whatever is out there. . .
Back to top Go down
timewarrior
timewarrior

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: Miracle Day    Torchwood: Miracle Day  - Page 9 EmptySun Jun 10, 2012 10:07 pm

re-watching again. . .on the fifth episode thus far. . .enjoying it. . .still preparing myself for the big let down that it wasnt anything alien. . .still. . .know what's coming, I noticed certain elements that I missed before as i rewatch it.
Back to top Go down
rdks
rdks

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: Miracle Day    Torchwood: Miracle Day  - Page 9 EmptySun Jun 10, 2012 10:19 pm

timewarrior wrote:
re-watching again. .
This post made me wonder (again) "what's going on with season 5?". It didn't take long to find out - nothing.

http://screenrant.com/torchwood-season-5-delay-scott-163133/ (from April 2012)

Basically, Starz can't do it without RTD, but he put all his American projects on hold and moved back to the UK.

Also found an interview with Eve Myles from January (link) where she says it's not happening soon, definitely not in 2012, maybe 2013, or maybe a movie in 2013. It sounds like she has no idea, just like the rest of us.

In reference to the screencap at the top of this page - Jack was not back in January 2012. Forgot about that one!
Back to top Go down
timewarrior
timewarrior

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: Miracle Day    Torchwood: Miracle Day  - Page 9 EmptySun Jun 10, 2012 10:21 pm

rdks wrote:
timewarrior wrote:
re-watching again. .
This post made me wonder (again) "what's going on with season 5?". It didn't take long to find out - nothing.

http://screenrant.com/torchwood-season-5-delay-scott-163133/ (from April 2012)

Basically, Starz can't do it without RTD, but he put all his American projects on hold and moved back to the UK.

Also found an interview with Eve Myles from January (link) where she says it's not happening soon, definitely not in 2012, maybe 2013, or maybe a movie in 2013. It sounds like she has no idea, just like the rest of us.

In reference to the screencap at the top of this page - Jack was not back in January 2012. Forgot about that one!

yeah, it annoys me too. . they left it with some potential. . then nothing for an entire year or more. . for the love of god, build up the torchwood team. . .give them an alien threat. . .and don't kill everyone off at the darn end for a change. . .surprise us for god's sake!
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6853
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: Miracle Day    Torchwood: Miracle Day  - Page 9 EmptySun Jun 10, 2012 10:33 pm

Torchwood is losing its steam. We had the great Children of Earth, then had to wait almost two years for Miracle Day, whose story wasn't worth the wait. (Seeing Jack and Gwen back in action, that was worth it.)

Unless they can really, really get this show back on track, I say let it go.
Back to top Go down
timewarrior
timewarrior

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood: Miracle Day    Torchwood: Miracle Day  - Page 9 EmptySun Jun 10, 2012 10:38 pm

jaredofmo wrote:
Torchwood is losing its steam. We had the great Children of Earth, then had to wait almost two years for Miracle Day, whose story wasn't worth the wait. (Seeing Jack and Gwen back in action, that was worth it.)

Unless they can really, really get this show back on track, I say let it go.

I liked Rex and Esther. . .what I didn't like was how they lost it after episode 6. . . the long flash back would have been better spread over two episodes and there should have been stuff in the show that made jack relive it, plus the enemy should have been alien, like the 4=5=6, instead of just a freakin family of humans.
Back to top Go down

Torchwood: Miracle Day
Page 9 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9