AuthorMessage
Hobartwhovian
Hobartwhovian

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2010-03-02

My Conundrum  Empty
PostSubject: My Conundrum    My Conundrum  EmptyMon Feb 28, 2011 11:35 pm

Crying or Very sad
I am not sure if this is the correct area to post in regarding my conundrum, so please let me know if I need to move it to a different location.

So I am in something of a conundrum. I am currently working on a special grant that is worth $8,000. The idea was to put forth a proposal involving a trip to England in 2013 with my son and document the trip in the form of a blog or personal photo book. I have made it a personal mission to meet many of the people behind Doctor Who because of its connection between my deceased father and myself and my connection with my oldest son who will be 11 in 2013. I have met many over the last few years and have given them a personal thank you letter explaining its special place in my heart. As a teacher, I admittedly tend to put my students ahead of my family because it is a job that does not start at 7 in the morning and end at 3 as some would believe. I have many times had to put my job first much to the disappointment of them. I want to do this as a special project that will involve my family.

It is my hope that this grant will allow us to go to a 50th anniversary (blowout?) convention to meet as many people involved in Doctor Who as possible in one strike. While there, we would go to the Globe Theatre, Big Ben, Trafalgar Square, Post Office Tower, St. Peter’s, Stonehenge, etc. Part of the proposal requires a detailed itinerary and budget breakdown. I have contact information for Frazer Hines that he gave me at the 2010 ChicagoTARDIS. I so far estimated that I could do this for approximately $5,000 roundtrip from Chicago via Virgin Vacations. It would be about a 2 week trip. However, the grant calls for 6 weeks of commitment. I do not know how I can put together a viable proposal. I have considered the idea of maybe putting together a documentary of the trip and the meaning Doctor Who has for me and my relationship with my oldest son; maybe even expand the idea into also interviewing other fans and professionals involved with the show. I have even considered using it to create a publishable book (or e-book) regarding Doctor Who fandom similar to Chicks Dig Timelords, but on a more personal level.

Can anyone please give me some ideas? Or have a way for me to expand my vision a little? I know by writing this I am already starting to think this through with greater possibilities. I guess what I am asking for is a sounding board. I know I will already have to try to save a little from tax checks and my paychecks to put into an account that will not be touched except to use for this project/trip. I know that $8,000 alone will not be enough; but it is a heck of a start to realizing this dream. Worst case scenario is that I do not win the grant, but still raise enough to at least take the trip with my son to blog about and maybe still document in book form – whether it is something others may find worth reading is a different question altogether.

Besides posting replies here, you can also contact me via email at eluidespagan@frontier.com
Just please write Who project in the subject line. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Sergiusbulgakov

Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2007-02-22

My Conundrum  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Conundrum    My Conundrum  EmptyTue Mar 01, 2011 7:23 am

You should tell us how you are getting this grant; I'm sure all Doctor Who fans would love a free vacation to the UK
Back to top Go down
http://vox-nova.com
Who North America
Who North America

Number of posts : 5792
Registration date : 2007-02-01

My Conundrum  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Conundrum    My Conundrum  EmptyTue Mar 01, 2011 7:59 am

For ideas on where to go you should check out the book "Who Goes There" that details all the different shooting locations of Doctor Who (classic and new).

Here is the link to the book on our website:

http://www.whona.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=W&Product_Code=WHOGOES&Category_Code=

Good luck on your effort and let us know if/when you get the grant!

Jany
Back to top Go down
https://whona.forumotion.com
Who North America
Who North America

My Conundrum  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Conundrum    My Conundrum  EmptyTue Mar 01, 2011 8:03 am

Sergiusbulgakov wrote:
You should tell us how you are getting this grant; I'm sure all Doctor Who fans would love a free vacation to the UK

I believe he is checking out the grant offered by different organizations open only to teachers. I know personally of another teacher who received a grant from Eli Lilly to study and take part in the reenactment of the Civil War some years back.

This grant is a reward to our hard working teachers who are dedicated to their students and only the best gets chosen to be granted this award.

So kudos to you, Eluides! cheers

Jany
Back to top Go down
Who North America
Who North America

My Conundrum  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Conundrum    My Conundrum  EmptyTue Mar 01, 2011 8:06 am

Eluides:

Just thought of something else. Perhaps you could also put in somewhere on your application that this trip is to help US students to broaden their knowledge by including science fiction in their curriculum. I have noticed in the public school arena there is sadly a great lack in children's appreciation of science fiction and how science fiction is needed it help shape their minds for the future.

Jany
Back to top Go down
Hobartwhovian
Hobartwhovian

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2010-03-02

My Conundrum  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Conundrum    My Conundrum  EmptyTue Mar 01, 2011 8:47 am

Thanks. Actually it is the Lilly Grant. I have 2 relatives who have received this over the years and I hope to receive it as well. It is a great idea to look at the science fiction angle. As an English teacher, I was considering the documenting angle for non-fiction writing (e-book, video documentary, or actual manuscript) or the use of technology for multimedia presentations (blogging, podcasting, etc.). This would mean I may have to look into possible video editing workshops/classes offered at universities. Thanks, Jany.

If there are any Indiana teachers on here besides me, please do not borrow my idea. Sad I have really been putting in alot of time trying to network with guests at the convention to make this a reality and would hate to lose out because someone else ran with my proposal. They look for unique and I hope the proposal for the 50th anniversary year will help give me an edge. HMmmmm, wonder if I can get a chance to speak with RTD here in the states or Moffat in the UK for a short interview to use regarding fandom - especially how the show is being run by fans from the classic series.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

My Conundrum  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Conundrum    My Conundrum  EmptyTue Mar 01, 2011 10:14 am

Maybe you can work trying to understand the cultural impact that this show has in the UK into your study. And how it influences and has been influenced by literature of the country. Such a show does not, nor will it ever likely exist in the US, our nation has a far too short attention span. It could only happen in a country that has buildings hundreds of years old, as opposed to one that tears down a 10 year old building to make a new shopping mall. Or spends its evening watching American Idol and ET news!
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2105
Registration date : 2008-04-04

My Conundrum  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Conundrum    My Conundrum  EmptyTue Mar 01, 2011 8:05 pm

i agree with ronpur. i think a show about regeneration, passing the torch from one generation from the next could only happen in a country that still has history. queens and princes, and castles. good stuff. good luck Eluides.
Back to top Go down

My Conundrum
Page 1 of 1