Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
The Castellan
The Castellan

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2010-06-11

MY type of sci-fi. Empty
PostSubject: MY type of sci-fi.   MY type of sci-fi. EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 4:03 am

I prefer stories where there is no villain, no huge space battles and so on. I like seeing alien and exotic worlds and beings.
Here's a good example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRaWpDaJX84

Boldly going where no one has gone before really is what's in that one. afro

Anyone else with me on this? scratch confused Basketball
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

MY type of sci-fi. Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY type of sci-fi.   MY type of sci-fi. EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 5:43 am

While I like learning about new worlds and new creatures, I still love my epic battles and conflicts.

~
Back to top Go down
The Castellan
The Castellan

MY type of sci-fi. Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY type of sci-fi.   MY type of sci-fi. EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 5:55 am

LtViperPilot wrote:
While I like learning about new worlds and new creatures, I still love my epic battles and conflicts.

~

Those come a dime dozen.....you got Star Wars, Stargate, Battlestar, Aliens, and even Doctor Who.

There's not enough of the real exploring and venturing into the unknown (even Picard in Insurrection asked the crew, "Do you remember when we used to be explorers?") , there needs to be more discovery, as well as befriending aliens, not blowing them up, I think.

There needs to be more 2001, 2010, Starman, and so on.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

MY type of sci-fi. Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY type of sci-fi.   MY type of sci-fi. EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 6:46 am

The Castellan wrote:
LtViperPilot wrote:

~

Those come a dime dozen.....you got Star Wars, Stargate, Battlestar, Aliens, and even Doctor Who.

There's not enough of the real exploring and venturing into the unknown (even Picard in Insurrection asked the crew, "Do you remember when we used to be explorers?") , there needs to be more discovery, as well as befriending aliens, not blowing them up, I think.

There needs to be more 2001, 2010, Starman, and so on.

True, but dime-a-dozen sells.

The one show that I fell in love with was "Prehistoric Park" because it explored prehistoric creatures and was more educational than drama. However, it didn't last long because it wasn't exciting and drama-filled like "Primeval".

Dime-a-dozen sells much better than education ever will.
~
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

MY type of sci-fi. Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY type of sci-fi.   MY type of sci-fi. EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 8:05 am

Just finished a 2 month marathon of TNG, after watching Star Trek and the movies. Battles were rare in those shows, and only when a last resort. I am watching DS9 now, which did turn into a story of conflict, but I think it went to great lengths to show the effects of war, and I loved it.

Want a great sci-fi movie without battles but great characters and amazing story...try Moon. The first 10 or 20 minutes you will say "what is this?", then you will be "OMG!! WHAT IS THIS!!"
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

MY type of sci-fi. Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY type of sci-fi.   MY type of sci-fi. EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 8:36 am

BobaMatt let me borrow his copy of Moon last year and I was pleasantly surprised at how great it was. A true gem of a movie.
Back to top Go down
Calixar
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

MY type of sci-fi. Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY type of sci-fi.   MY type of sci-fi. EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 10:36 am

Have you ever seen Silent Running?
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikaljohnson.com
Anonymous

MY type of sci-fi. Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY type of sci-fi.   MY type of sci-fi. EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 2:03 pm

Calixar wrote:

If you are talking to me the answer is yes, and I own the DVD. I used to have it on VHS from tv forever. Been wanting to get the soundtrack for such a long time. I like the drones, and since I was really young when I saw it, I did get very sad when the last drone, well, I wont say anything more for those who havent seen it.
Back to top Go down
The Castellan
The Castellan

MY type of sci-fi. Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY type of sci-fi.   MY type of sci-fi. EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 7:20 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9BqSoa8B8Q
Another good example. And to those with bad luck with the opposite or same sex, always look back to Geordi, and you'll feel better about yourself. But, then again, least he had better luck than that annoying Barkley ever did. lol!
Back to top Go down
Calixar
Calixar

MY type of sci-fi. Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY type of sci-fi.   MY type of sci-fi. EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 10:17 pm

Whoosier Whovian wrote:
Calixar wrote:

If you are talking to me the answer is yes, and I own the DVD. I used to have it on VHS from tv forever. Been wanting to get the soundtrack for such a long time. I like the drones, and since I was really young when I saw it, I did get very sad when the last drone, well, I wont say anything more for those who havent seen it.

Ooo... I didn't know it was on DVD. I haven't seen it in ages. I used to rent it every so often back in the 80s.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

MY type of sci-fi. Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY type of sci-fi.   MY type of sci-fi. EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 10:22 pm

There is a really cool documentary about the filming and Bruce Dern running each day on the top deck of the ship they used as the Valley Forge. I miss the 1970's, there was sooo much promise to our futures, now..........well, while spoil it for those of you who dont know.
Back to top Go down
Calixar
Calixar

MY type of sci-fi. Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY type of sci-fi.   MY type of sci-fi. EmptyWed Jan 12, 2011 10:20 am

Well, keep in mind what the impetus of that film is. I'd hardly call it a message of hope for the people of Earth.
Back to top Go down
The Castellan
The Castellan

MY type of sci-fi. Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY type of sci-fi.   MY type of sci-fi. EmptyWed May 04, 2011 3:48 am

Calixar wrote:
Well, keep in mind what the impetus of that film is. I'd hardly call it a message of hope for the people of Earth.

Yep, very grim.

And I'd hardly call the 1970's as a time of promise, the political/social differences were to the point we had more riots then now....not to mention Penn State, Vietnam still going on, Watergate, getting off the gold standard, Nixon and Gerald Ford, etc.

Other good Trek stories I enjoy are TNG's "Haven" and "Evolution". No villains, no battle, nadda. Just dealing with exotic places and meeting new forms of life.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

MY type of sci-fi. Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY type of sci-fi.   MY type of sci-fi. EmptyWed May 04, 2011 8:56 am

Don't forget inflation, Carter and the Iranian hostage crisis, but there were highlights.

The Bicentennial was a fun time in my hometown. In fact, maybe growing up in a small midwest town, I saw a lot more hope in the future that most people in the 70s. Such a strong community, and we helped ourselves, planned our own celebrations, and gave back to the country, not taking from it. And we were proud Americans, and strangely enough, very little has changed in that little town. There is still hope there, if they are allowed to do their best. I miss it.

And it was the decade I discovered Star Trek, so it wasn't all bad!
Back to top Go down
The Castellan
The Castellan

MY type of sci-fi. Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY type of sci-fi.   MY type of sci-fi. EmptyThu Sep 08, 2011 3:22 am

leegrace wrote:
Well my type of sci-fi is Doctor Who. I always desperate to watch it online.

Dailymotion.com has episodes to watch.....unlike Youtube, which whines and cries copy right grounds in every video (they are even trying to take down Batmanmarch's action figure adventures for god's sake) unless it's a video of someone with a poorly made, bright photoshop background, someone's vacation; or that useless dunce, Shane Dawson.

Dailymotion's your best place, I think.
Back to top Go down
mattmanw54301
mattmanw54301

Number of posts : 1274
Registration date : 2007-09-09

MY type of sci-fi. Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY type of sci-fi.   MY type of sci-fi. EmptySat Oct 01, 2011 6:12 am

This is my type of sci fi. Great, epic action, and a truly awesome story of redemption at its heart. The last scene at the garbage heap still makes me cry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6PDlMggROA
Back to top Go down

MY type of sci-fi.
Page 1 of 1