Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeSearchRegisterLog inThe Who North America Online StoreLatest images

Would Classic Who fans consider it sacreliege if...

Go down 
+6
The Castellan
SeaDevil
Ronpur
TheObsoleteMan
bret_owen99
jaredofmo
10 posters
AuthorMessage
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6853
Registration date : 2010-05-22

Would Classic Who fans consider it sacreliege if... Empty
PostSubject: Would Classic Who fans consider it sacreliege if...   Would Classic Who fans consider it sacreliege if... EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 9:23 pm

... The Eleventh Doctor wore a ridiculously long scarf, munched on jelly babies, or played a recorder?

I think it would be fun to see those happen, actually.
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2105
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Would Classic Who fans consider it sacreliege if...   Would Classic Who fans consider it sacreliege if... EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 10:53 pm

well, seeing as he's already wearing a bow-tie, and an old man suit, i wouldn't see it as that far a stretch. don't get me wrong, i like matt smith as the 11th doc, i just don't like blatant nods towards the old series (i.e. photos of the first and second docs), and sheepish fans saying that series 5 was more "classic" than the rtd era. it takes more than a couple of photos and a bow tie to impress me. good storytelling, no more story arcs, and companions who aren't trying to cheat on their would be husbands right in front of me would be more "classic" for my tastes.
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

PostSubject: Re: Would Classic Who fans consider it sacreliege if...   Would Classic Who fans consider it sacreliege if... EmptyTue Dec 07, 2010 1:30 am

I agree, though I thought the appearances of previous Doctors was a reminder that the Doctor regenerates, helping smooth it over with the Tennant fans.
Back to top Go down
TheObsoleteMan
TheObsoleteMan

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2010-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Would Classic Who fans consider it sacreliege if...   Would Classic Who fans consider it sacreliege if... EmptyTue Dec 07, 2010 3:31 am

I'm not a big fan of blatant callbacks like that. It always bugged me when later Doctors would whip out the jellybabies. It was like "I used to be Tom Baker, remember? The one you really liked? I'm still him!"

I do enjoy the little indiosyncrasies though, like Colin Baker doing the Hartnell lapel grab. Things like that show that the old Doctors are still in there somewhere, but in a very subtle way. Maybe Matt could bust out a Venusian karate move?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Would Classic Who fans consider it sacreliege if...   Would Classic Who fans consider it sacreliege if... EmptyTue Dec 07, 2010 4:05 am

The only Doctor I don't mind with the Jelly Babies is the 8th Doctor, but we only saw that in the movie as I haven't heard them in any of his audios. I like little nods, as TheObsoleteMan said, the idiosyncrasies that appear, but anything major would be a bit annoying. And I think because I do have such a strong dislike in Matt Smith's Doctor, it would turn me away from him entirely until he got replaced.
~
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

PostSubject: Re: Would Classic Who fans consider it sacreliege if...   Would Classic Who fans consider it sacreliege if... EmptyTue Dec 07, 2010 8:21 am

It's very interesting to hear your guys' opinions about "throwbacks" to previous incarnations of the Doctor.

As for me, yeah, I'd not be such a big fan of it if they just did it because they thought it would be fun. I prefer jokes that relate closely to the plot.
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2105
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Would Classic Who fans consider it sacreliege if...   Would Classic Who fans consider it sacreliege if... EmptyTue Dec 07, 2010 5:23 pm

personally, jaredofmo, i would rather have more old cast members returning. first there was sarah jane, then jo grant. c'mon, we should have ace, tegan, or even peri cameo's. they are all young enough to still do it.
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

PostSubject: Re: Would Classic Who fans consider it sacreliege if...   Would Classic Who fans consider it sacreliege if... EmptyTue Dec 07, 2010 8:16 pm

bret_owen99 wrote:
personally, jaredofmo, i would rather have more old cast members returning. first there was sarah jane, then jo grant. c'mon, we should have ace, tegan, or even peri cameo's. they are all young enough to still do it.

Ditto, it is a small world, after all.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Would Classic Who fans consider it sacreliege if...   Would Classic Who fans consider it sacreliege if... EmptyTue Dec 07, 2010 8:24 pm

I think Patrick was the first to have jelly babies. So, Tom was channeling him.
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

PostSubject: Re: Would Classic Who fans consider it sacreliege if...   Would Classic Who fans consider it sacreliege if... EmptyTue Dec 07, 2010 8:38 pm

Yeah, according to the TARDIS wiki, it was in "The Dominators" first.
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7003
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Would Classic Who fans consider it sacreliege if...   Would Classic Who fans consider it sacreliege if... EmptyWed Dec 08, 2010 10:25 am

I don't think of anything like these cases to be sacreliege. I always love these nods to the past. It reminds us the old fans and introduces to the new fans the history of the character and the show. Heck, Matt Smith's whole characterization is like Patrick Troughton to me and I'm totally fine with that!
Back to top Go down
The Castellan
The Castellan

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Would Classic Who fans consider it sacreliege if...   Would Classic Who fans consider it sacreliege if... EmptyWed Dec 08, 2010 8:17 pm

Well, John Turner tried in the 80's and look how that went.
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

PostSubject: Re: Would Classic Who fans consider it sacreliege if...   Would Classic Who fans consider it sacreliege if... EmptySun Dec 12, 2010 2:09 pm

Oh, hadn't seen this before:
Would Classic Who fans consider it sacreliege if... Tumblr_ldaenyuVid1qf3pzvo1_500
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

Number of posts : 7495
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Would Classic Who fans consider it sacreliege if...   Would Classic Who fans consider it sacreliege if... EmptySun Dec 12, 2010 5:08 pm

I wouldn't consider it sacrilege but I certainly wouldn't approve. It'd look even more stupid than that fez!

Laughing
Back to top Go down
https://www.doctorwhofigures.com
Evil Monkey Pope
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 2209
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Would Classic Who fans consider it sacreliege if...   Would Classic Who fans consider it sacreliege if... EmptySun Dec 12, 2010 6:24 pm

Fezes are cool!
I thought the Doctor's outdated library card was one of the better parts of the episode. Given that the TARDIS has an infinite interior, I don't see why memorobillia from the classic run show up periodically. Since the Doctor is the essentially same character each regeneration, traits and skills of earlier incarnations should still pop up.
Back to top Go down
https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
Scary
Scary

PostSubject: Re: Would Classic Who fans consider it sacreliege if...   Would Classic Who fans consider it sacreliege if... EmptySun Dec 12, 2010 6:59 pm

Evil Monkey Pope wrote:
Fezes are cool!

Yes, they are but not on Matt Smith. Wink
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

PostSubject: Re: Would Classic Who fans consider it sacreliege if...   Would Classic Who fans consider it sacreliege if... EmptySun Dec 12, 2010 7:43 pm

Scarywood wrote:
Evil Monkey Pope wrote:
Fezes are cool!

Too bad, because word has it, it will be back.
Back to top Go down
Purdue Prydonian
Purdue Prydonian

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2010-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Would Classic Who fans consider it sacreliege if...   Would Classic Who fans consider it sacreliege if... EmptySun Dec 12, 2010 8:06 pm

Scarves are cool!
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

PostSubject: Re: Would Classic Who fans consider it sacreliege if...   Would Classic Who fans consider it sacreliege if... EmptySun Dec 12, 2010 8:22 pm

Purdue Prydonian wrote:
Scarves are cool!

Oh, yes they are!

Would Classic Who fans consider it sacreliege if... The_Christmas_Invasion_744Would Classic Who fans consider it sacreliege if... Benedict-CumberbatchWould Classic Who fans consider it sacreliege if... 3dd0b7e4Would Classic Who fans consider it sacreliege if... Article-1158673-03B908AF000005DC-876_468x681
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

PostSubject: Re: Would Classic Who fans consider it sacreliege if...   Would Classic Who fans consider it sacreliege if... EmptySat Dec 25, 2010 9:16 pm

I called it!

Would Classic Who fans consider it sacreliege if... ILikeScarvesScarvesareCool
Back to top Go down
Scary
Scary

PostSubject: Re: Would Classic Who fans consider it sacreliege if...   Would Classic Who fans consider it sacreliege if... EmptySat Dec 25, 2010 9:57 pm

Hehe! Alright, scarves are cool! As are fezzes (I guess Laughing), Stetsons, bow ties and anything else he decides to pull out the wardrobe! Razz
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Would Classic Who fans consider it sacreliege if...   Would Classic Who fans consider it sacreliege if... EmptySat Dec 25, 2010 11:49 pm

jaredofmo wrote:
I called it!

Would Classic Who fans consider it sacreliege if... ILikeScarvesScarvesareCool

yep! I was like: Hey, I have been wearing that scarf all day!!....and I was! LOL
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7003
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Would Classic Who fans consider it sacreliege if...   Would Classic Who fans consider it sacreliege if... EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 9:13 am

Loved seeing the scarf! I have to admit, I kinda cheered...!
Back to top Go down
LordPwned
LordPwned

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2010-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Would Classic Who fans consider it sacreliege if...   Would Classic Who fans consider it sacreliege if... EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 11:26 am

Tom Baker Reference For the Win
Back to top Go down
The Castellan
The Castellan

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Would Classic Who fans consider it sacreliege if...   Would Classic Who fans consider it sacreliege if... EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 5:30 am

Woody wrote:
Evil Monkey Pope wrote:
Fezes are cool!

And considering Riversong scragged it, that should have told the Doctor something. Wink
And the Doctor saying, "(insert item here) is/are cool!" just does not sound right to me. tongue
Back to top Go down

Would Classic Who fans consider it sacreliege if...
Page 1 of 1