Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeSearchRegisterLog inThe Who North America Online StoreLatest images

Sylvester McCoy to be cast in THE HOBBIT?

Go down 
+3
squishy
Ronpur
Clavius
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Clavius
Clavius

Number of posts : 578
Registration date : 2007-10-03

Sylvester McCoy to be cast in THE HOBBIT? Empty
PostSubject: Sylvester McCoy to be cast in THE HOBBIT?   Sylvester McCoy to be cast in THE HOBBIT? EmptyMon Aug 30, 2010 1:45 pm

Neat! If true. Go SEVEN!

Sylvester McCoy up for Radagast the Brown?
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Sylvester McCoy to be cast in THE HOBBIT?   Sylvester McCoy to be cast in THE HOBBIT? EmptyMon Aug 30, 2010 3:31 pm

That would be cool. If the project ever gets off the ground with MGM's problems.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Sylvester McCoy to be cast in THE HOBBIT?   Sylvester McCoy to be cast in THE HOBBIT? EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 5:38 pm

And from what I read now, it is true!!
Back to top Go down
squishy
squishy

Number of posts : 2485
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Sylvester McCoy to be cast in THE HOBBIT?   Sylvester McCoy to be cast in THE HOBBIT? EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 6:25 pm

I was hoping McCoy would get one of the dwarf parts. Cannot recall how much Radagast really shows up in the book. But good for Seven landing the role. Hopefully the movie gets made as the book is a neat little read. I've heard that they'll try to pad it out to two movies? Maybe they're borrowing from many of the other Tolkien scribblings (which I've never managed to get a handle on what's what and what was ever a completed tale). Radagast may get padded out to help fill two movies if that is true and they're really attempting to make a prequel. "The Hobbit" got a reworking later in life by Tolkien himself to attempt to make it a prequel so there's great precedent to tamper with this tale.
Back to top Go down
The Castellan
The Castellan

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Sylvester McCoy to be cast in THE HOBBIT?   Sylvester McCoy to be cast in THE HOBBIT? EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 7:26 pm

squishy wrote:
I was hoping McCoy would get one of the dwarf parts. Cannot recall how much Radagast really shows up in the book. But good for Seven landing the role. Hopefully the movie gets made as the book is a neat little read. I've heard that they'll try to pad it out to two movies? Maybe they're borrowing from many of the other Tolkien scribblings (which I've never managed to get a handle on what's what and what was ever a completed tale). Radagast may get padded out to help fill two movies if that is true and they're really attempting to make a prequel. "The Hobbit" got a reworking later in life by Tolkien himself to attempt to make it a prequel so there's great precedent to tamper with this tale.

Arrow The second bit is going to be what happened between The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.
Back to top Go down
squishy
squishy

Number of posts : 2485
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Sylvester McCoy to be cast in THE HOBBIT?   Sylvester McCoy to be cast in THE HOBBIT? EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 8:09 pm

The Castellan wrote:
Arrow The second bit is going to be what happened between The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.

Do they have source material for this? Tolkien seems to have left quite a mess when he passed away that his son has spent years trying to package and publish.
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6853
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Sylvester McCoy to be cast in THE HOBBIT?   Sylvester McCoy to be cast in THE HOBBIT? EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 8:42 pm

squishy wrote:
The Castellan wrote:

Do they have source material for this? Tolkien seems to have left quite a mess when he passed away that his son has spent years trying to package and publish.
Appendices in "The Lord of the Rings." Jackson & Co. can only adapt "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings."

I'd heard that they were going to do "The Hobbit" and "LotR Prequel," then "2-movie Hobbit." Castellan's post is the first I've heard of them returning to the first idea. I'd say he's wrong, but he might not be, so I'll say, wait it out.

I actually wrote a fan script of "The Hobbit" and posted it online. Too much dialogue, some complained. Others said I definitely had a feel for my material. It had the White Council going to Dol Guldur, so I could see Radagast appearing in it.

My gosh, if they throw Tom Bombadil in here...
Back to top Go down
Shatterbang
Shatterbang

Number of posts : 581
Registration date : 2010-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Sylvester McCoy to be cast in THE HOBBIT?   Sylvester McCoy to be cast in THE HOBBIT? EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 11:48 pm

I wish Jackson would stay away from this. I'd rather see somebody else's take.

Be cool to see McCoy in there. Radagast wasn't in The Hobbit though...if he's in this that means Jackson's already screwing around with the book again.
Back to top Go down
http://emerdelac.wordpress.com
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Sylvester McCoy to be cast in THE HOBBIT?   Sylvester McCoy to be cast in THE HOBBIT? EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 2:23 am

Radagast was not in the Hobbit. And Gandalf was barely in it. From the reports I read, Jackson plans to show what happens to Gandalf off screen, by following the appendix of Return of the King, which concerned the wizards trying to fight a dark force(Sauron) in Mirkwood( Dol Guldur), which is the area Radagast lived in.
Jackson has used the appendix to flesh out parts of LOTR as well. The Aragorn-Arwen romance was covered there, as well as many of Gandalf's scenes with Saruman.
I think they only plan to show events that happen during the Hobbit time frame, and not go beyond, between the stories. That would basically be Gandalf and Aragorn searching for Gollum, because Gandalf thinks he did find the one ring that Bilbo has, and wants to find him, which he does for years. Not sure there would be much of a story there.
As for the writing JRR Tolkien left behind, most of what his son has gone though and published are "behind the scenes" books, showing notes, rough drafts and early versions of some of LOTR. Only The Simarillion, Unfinished Tales and Children of Hurin had complete stories. Most of the unfinished items concerned Numenor, and elvish stuff.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Sylvester McCoy to be cast in THE HOBBIT?   Sylvester McCoy to be cast in THE HOBBIT? EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 2:27 am

And I think Children of Hurin would make a great movie too, but it isn't a happy story......
Back to top Go down
Shatterbang
Shatterbang

PostSubject: Re: Sylvester McCoy to be cast in THE HOBBIT?   Sylvester McCoy to be cast in THE HOBBIT? EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 2:29 am

Ronpur wrote:
Radagast was not in the Hobbit. And Gandalf was barely in it. From the reports I read, Jackson plans to show what happens to Gandalf off screen, by following the appendix of Return of the King, which concerned the wizards trying to fight a dark force(Sauron) in Mirkwood( Dol Guldur), which is the area Radagast lived in.
\

Yeah....I just wanna see The Hobbit as a standalone. I don't really want a prequel. The less it has in common with PJ's LOTOR the better for me.
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6853
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Sylvester McCoy to be cast in THE HOBBIT?   Sylvester McCoy to be cast in THE HOBBIT? EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 5:53 am

Shatterbang wrote:
So did PJ, but they couldn't get anyone else on it.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Sylvester McCoy to be cast in THE HOBBIT?   Sylvester McCoy to be cast in THE HOBBIT? EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 6:35 am

PJ was to be producer only. But with the MGM bankruptcy, and the delay, they lost the last director.

The Hobbit has such a different tone than most of the LOTR, I am interested to see what happens.
Back to top Go down
artanyus
artanyus

Number of posts : 1513
Registration date : 2010-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Sylvester McCoy to be cast in THE HOBBIT?   Sylvester McCoy to be cast in THE HOBBIT? EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 11:28 am

Just a few days ago they announced the cast for "The Hobbit" after having finally been given the green light. There is still some worry about one of the companies going under and losing out on money but it's finally going to be made.

We have some returning faces such as Andy Serkis and Ian McKellan, but they also announced three of the main dwarves and also the actor for Bilbo.
Back to top Go down
The Castellan
The Castellan

PostSubject: Re: Sylvester McCoy to be cast in THE HOBBIT?   Sylvester McCoy to be cast in THE HOBBIT? EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 12:39 pm

jaredofmo wrote:
Shatterbang wrote:

Personally, I'd only want Jackson to do this, since he did a great job on LotR. He did not alienate the fans when he made the films.....unlike a certain producer/director who's done so with a film series of his that I never liked to begin with....that I mentioned several times. Laughing lol!
Back to top Go down
Shatterbang
Shatterbang

PostSubject: Re: Sylvester McCoy to be cast in THE HOBBIT?   Sylvester McCoy to be cast in THE HOBBIT? EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 12:41 pm

The Castellan wrote:
jaredofmo wrote:
Shatterbang wrote:

Personally, I'd only want Jackson to do this, since he did a great job on LotR. He did not alienate the fans when he made the films.....unlike a certain producer/director who's done so with a film series of his that I never liked to begin with....that I mentioned several times. Laughing lol!

He alienated this fan. Suspect
Back to top Go down
The Castellan
The Castellan

PostSubject: Re: Sylvester McCoy to be cast in THE HOBBIT?   Sylvester McCoy to be cast in THE HOBBIT? EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 12:44 pm

Shatterbang wrote:
The Castellan wrote:
jaredofmo wrote:
Shatterbang wrote:

Is that because he left out Tom Bombader? confused
I thought he did a rather good job on the films.
Back to top Go down
Shatterbang
Shatterbang

PostSubject: Re: Sylvester McCoy to be cast in THE HOBBIT?   Sylvester McCoy to be cast in THE HOBBIT? EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 1:12 pm

The Castellan wrote:
Shatterbang wrote:
The Castellan wrote:
jaredofmo wrote:
Shatterbang wrote:

Is that because he left out Tom Bombader? confused
I thought he did a rather good job on the films.

Ah, I hate to get into it on a Who forum, especially since I'm always in the minority on this...

No, it wasn't leaving out Bombadil, it was just everything about those movies. They were too fast, too loud, too silly. In a quick rundown, I hated the constant, insipid dwarf jokes, the torch-in-the-teeth-Weathertop battle, stupid story changes like the hobbits trusting Aragorn before he'd revealed himself, the shrill and annoying Black Riders, the blubbering Steward of Gondor and his terrible guards who allow Gandalf to bully him for comic relief, the Diablo-inspired Balrog, the inexplicable Sam-goes-all-the-way-back-down-the-stair-and-then-stupidly-decides-to-go-back-up scene, Spidey/Lleoglas surfing on a shield (oi!), the endless sweeping crane shots, the frat boy antics of Merry and Pippin, the Jar Jar Gollum (no reason to have a CGI Gollum), that awful bouncing on the bed tampon commercial scene.

The FX, the design, the actors, all wonderful. But the movies just sucked. They just didn't have the dignity and tone of the books for me. FOTR was the greatest disappointment I have ever had at the movies to this day. The BBC radio adaptation is infinitely superior. It too leaves out Bombadil, but gets it entirely right tone-wise.

I even enjoy the Bakshi and Rankin and Bass movies more. No

I really don't want to see another Jackson adaptation, especially since The Hobbit is one of my favorite books.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Sylvester McCoy to be cast in THE HOBBIT?   Sylvester McCoy to be cast in THE HOBBIT? EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 7:10 pm

Then I won't even mention the Scouring of the Shire,then!

I think leaving out that segment really lost out on the growth of the 4 Hobbits. They went away, fought a war, grew stronger, and came home to fight their last battle at home, saving their on people.

And, yes, there are a few items on your list I didn't care for as well. (I love seeing the Riders of Rohan charge into the battle!) But, I still enjoy the movies as an adaptation of the books. And that is what they were, adaptations.

I imagine you are as disappointed as I was,that Bakshi never finished his movies. I would have love to seen his Minas Tirith siege.
Back to top Go down
Shatterbang
Shatterbang

PostSubject: Re: Sylvester McCoy to be cast in THE HOBBIT?   Sylvester McCoy to be cast in THE HOBBIT? EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 7:14 pm

I would've liked to have seen the Scouring too, I suppose. I was surprised it wasn't in the special edition. I was dragged to the third movie. I never even saw The Two Towers.

Yeah I would've liked to have seen Bakshi's take on the rest of the story. I thought the performances of the rotoscoped actors were actually pretty good if the backgrounds were sometimes spotty.

And I thought Leonard Rosenman's Lord of the Rings March from the end was far superior to anything in the live action movies.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Sylvester McCoy to be cast in THE HOBBIT?   Sylvester McCoy to be cast in THE HOBBIT? EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 7:23 pm

Shatterbang wrote:

And I thought Leonard Rosenman's Lord of the Rings March from the end was far superior to anything in the live action movies.

As soon as I read that, it began playing in my head! I wore out my soundtrack album playing that over and over as I read the book!
Back to top Go down

Sylvester McCoy to be cast in THE HOBBIT?
Page 1 of 1