Rust
RevClaire
Nuggan
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

Matt Smith departing Doctor Who? Empty
PostSubject: Matt Smith departing Doctor Who?   Matt Smith departing Doctor Who? EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 6:34 pm

I SO hope this is true!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/3056595/MATT-SMITH-is-ready-to-quit-as-Doctor-Who-to-crack-Hollywood.html

Unfortunately, I have not been able to warm up to Matt Smith as the Doctor. I just don't think he is a good actor... Period. I also realize that I am in the minority on this...
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Matt Smith departing Doctor Who?   Matt Smith departing Doctor Who? EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 6:37 pm

Harsh.
Back to top Go down
Nuggan
Nuggan

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2010-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Matt Smith departing Doctor Who?   Matt Smith departing Doctor Who? EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 6:45 pm

I think he's done a good job. Although sodding off before he's even truly begun would be annoying.

I also will find it annoying that they will have to come up with a convenient plot device to explain away a fourteenth regeneration - because the franchise will have to continue and if Smith leaves they'll be down to one more.

No matter - it's not gonna bring TENnant back, so I am fine with Smith. He should stick to his contract.

Besides, the Hollywood market isn't set up for the Tennants and Smiths of the UK. And UK actors make a pittance compared to their US counterparts. I doubt they'd make it big time in America because your average American hasn't been exposed to them and if it isn't Pitt/Aflek/ Cruise-esque they won't bite.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Matt Smith departing Doctor Who?   Matt Smith departing Doctor Who? EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 6:47 pm

Can we refrain from posting what comes from TABLOIDS, please?

It's coming from THE SUN... which is just as bad as the Enquirer here... or any of the other tabloid publications here.

It's not true by FAR...

~
Back to top Go down
RevClaire
RevClaire

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2010-03-09

PostSubject: Re: Matt Smith departing Doctor Who?   Matt Smith departing Doctor Who? EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 6:48 pm

a1cmustangpilot wrote:

It's coming from THE SUN... which is just as bad as the Enquirer here... or any of the other tabloid publications here.

At least the Weekly World News, god bless their black-and-white hearts, would have claimed that Bat Boy was in line to be 12th. bounce
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Matt Smith departing Doctor Who?   Matt Smith departing Doctor Who? EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 6:49 pm

It's The SUN! sunny 'nuff said, now let's turn to page 3 study so we can see the next companion! Shocked
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Matt Smith departing Doctor Who?   Matt Smith departing Doctor Who? EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 6:49 pm

It's the Sun.

Isn't that the UK equivalent of the Globe?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

a1cmustangpilot wrote:

It's not true by FAR...

~

The Sun nailed Tennant's departure, though, didn't it... well before it was announced and confirmed?
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

PostSubject: Re: Matt Smith departing Doctor Who?   Matt Smith departing Doctor Who? EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 6:51 pm

SpectrePrime wrote:

The Sun nailed Tennant's departure, though, didn't it... well before it was announced and confirmed?

A broken clock is right twice a day.

I take this with a huge heap of salt, given the whole basis for the story comes from what "a pal" said.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Matt Smith departing Doctor Who?   Matt Smith departing Doctor Who? EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 6:51 pm

Agreed, Nuggan. I think Smith will get better with time. I'm not picking on you SpectrePrime, but for my own tastes, I hope he beats Tom Baker's record.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Matt Smith departing Doctor Who?   Matt Smith departing Doctor Who? EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 6:52 pm

ReverendKain wrote:
At least the Weekly World News, god bless their black-and-white hearts, would have claimed that Bat Boy was in line to be 12th. bounce

lol!
Back to top Go down
happydalek
happydalek

Number of posts : 384
Registration date : 2007-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Matt Smith departing Doctor Who?   Matt Smith departing Doctor Who? EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 6:58 pm

ReverendKain wrote:
Quote :
At least the Weekly World News, god bless their black-and-white hearts, would have claimed that Bat Boy was in line to be 12th.
Also, the World's Fattest Cat would have been the new assistant, and Elvis would come out of hiding to make a guest appearance at some point in the season.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Matt Smith departing Doctor Who?   Matt Smith departing Doctor Who? EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 7:03 pm

SpectrePrime wrote:
a1cmustangpilot wrote:

It's not true by FAR...

~

They threw a dart and managed to actually hit something that wasn't the lamp shade, their camera operator... or another tabloid story on Lindsay Lohan. Tabloid news is rarely if ever accurate and after the whole incident with the DW movie with Johnny Depp popping up, I honestly thought that people would learn to check the sources before getting all excited over something like this.

Tabloids love whatever they can sell. And since people took to the DW Johnny Depp movie like ticks to a dog, the Sun knew that they'd have no problem getting people sold on this too. Matt Smith will leave, one day... is it possible for him to leave after two years, yes. Is it possible for him to set his sights on Hollywood... yes...
~
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6853
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Matt Smith departing Doctor Who?   Matt Smith departing Doctor Who? EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 8:02 pm

I've heard that Matt is really enjoying the role of the Doctor and doesn't plan to leave yet. I'd provide a source, but I only read it from a poster at IMDb. It does sound more consistent with what young Smith has said before.

Did I just call him "young Smith?" The guy's three years older than me...
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Matt Smith departing Doctor Who?   Matt Smith departing Doctor Who? EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 8:16 pm

jaredofmo wrote:

Did I just call him "young Smith?" The guy's three years older than me...

This is the first time in my (young) life that the guy playing the Doctor is younger than I am. Granted, he is only two years younger, so I don't exactly feel old, but I know it's only going to get worse the older I get. affraid Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

PostSubject: Re: Matt Smith departing Doctor Who?   Matt Smith departing Doctor Who? EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 8:30 pm

I find it amusing I'm the same age as the Doctor's actor. If I really was 907 years old, well...I'd be a Time Lord. or a cyberman.
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

PostSubject: Re: Matt Smith departing Doctor Who?   Matt Smith departing Doctor Who? EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 8:32 pm

Rust wrote:
I find it amusing I'm the same age as the Doctor's actor. If I really was 907 years old, well...I'd be a Time Lord. or a cyberman.

Rory's memory might now be over 2000 years old.
Back to top Go down
Nuggan
Nuggan

PostSubject: Re: Matt Smith departing Doctor Who?   Matt Smith departing Doctor Who? EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 8:37 pm

Mustakozene-80 wrote:
Agreed, Nuggan. I think Smith will get better with time. I'm not picking on you SpectrePrime, but for my own tastes, I hope he beats Tom Baker's record.

Me too Very Happy

I think it's time we had a long running Doctor.

Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

PostSubject: Re: Matt Smith departing Doctor Who?   Matt Smith departing Doctor Who? EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 8:53 pm

Nuggan wrote:
Mustakozene-80 wrote:

Me too Very Happy

Yeah! TV-wise, after Tom, we had...

Peter Davison - 3 years

Colin Baker - 2 years

Sylvester McCoy - 2 years + appearance in TV movie

Paul McGann - 1 TV movie (remember, I'm counting TV appearances)

Christopher Eccleston - 1 year

David Tennant - 4 years

Come on, Matt! You can do it! SHUN THE NON-BELIEVING NAYSAYERS! SHUN THEM ALL!
Back to top Go down
Nuggan
Nuggan

PostSubject: Re: Matt Smith departing Doctor Who?   Matt Smith departing Doctor Who? EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 8:57 pm

jaredofmo wrote:
Nuggan wrote:
Mustakozene-80 wrote:

Me too Very Happy

Yeah! TV-wise, after Tom, we had...

Peter Davison - 3 years

Colin Baker - 2 years

Sylvester McCoy - 2 years + appearance in TV movie

Paul McGann - 1 TV movie (remember, I'm counting TV appearances)

Christopher Eccleston - 1 year

David Tennant - 4 years

Come on, Matt! You can do it! SHUN THE NON-BELIEVING NAYSAYERS! SHUN THEM ALL!

Holy cow...four years? You mean I watched FOUR years worth of WHO in a week? affraid

Then catching up on the old ones should be a snap!
Back to top Go down
Rust
Rust

PostSubject: Re: Matt Smith departing Doctor Who?   Matt Smith departing Doctor Who? EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 9:06 pm

Nuggan wrote:

Holy cow...four years? You mean I watched FOUR years worth of WHO in a week? affraid

I watched a whole year in a single day.

In my defense, Season 3 (Up to the finale) was wildly entertaining and well written.

Quote :
Then catching up on the old ones should be a snap!

Keep in mind, Old Who operated on a serial basis of multiple parts to a single story. From the Back Cover of "The Key to Time" Special Edition Box Set, which is an entire season of Tom Baker's Run:

- The Ribos Operation: 98 Minutes
- The Pirate Planet: 100 Minutes
- The Stones of Blood: 95 Minutes
- The Androids of Tara: 97 Minutes
- The Power of Kroll - 90 Minutes
- The Armageddon Factor: 147 Minutes

Further, the run time for "Inferno", which was a single story in a single season of Jon Pertwee's era clocked in at a 166 minute run time.

New Who comes in Hour Long Chunks. Old Who comes in Full Length Features. Matt Smith departing Doctor Who? Icon_lol

Last edited by Rust on Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Nuggan
Nuggan

PostSubject: Re: Matt Smith departing Doctor Who?   Matt Smith departing Doctor Who? EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 9:11 pm

Rust wrote:
Nuggan wrote:

I watched a whole year in a single day.

In my defense, Season 3 (Up to the finale) was wildly entertaining and well written.

OH YES!
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2105
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Matt Smith departing Doctor Who?   Matt Smith departing Doctor Who? EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 9:59 pm

i read this too. i hope it's not true. if it is, he'll be pulling an eccleston. i don't blame chris for leaving, he was only seting up the first series. however if smith leaves, i think it would be a big disapointment for fans of the show. i had hoped tennant would have stayed on a couple of more years, but i understand his reasons for leaving. smith, imo, has the whole world in his hands, and should respect and enjoy it.
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
jaredofmo

PostSubject: Re: Matt Smith departing Doctor Who?   Matt Smith departing Doctor Who? EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 10:01 pm

Credible news! (LINK) Well, it's from Karen Gillan, not Matt, but considering that it's someone who works with Matt, and not an anonymous "pal," I'm more inclined to believe it.

Back to top Go down
exilea
exilea

Number of posts : 380
Registration date : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Matt Smith departing Doctor Who?   Matt Smith departing Doctor Who? EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 12:09 am

I'd believe in Santa again before I believed a word of tabloid rubbish, especially in this case. Matt Smith has done an INCREDIBLE job as the Doctor. I got over Tennant faster than you can say "can I have an apple?". Matt has brought back the Doctor's alien nature, something the war torn 9th and boohoo-I-lost-Rose 10th were missing. Not knocking 9 or 10, they were fantastic, brilliant...but Matt has definitely taken the lead for me. I can't wait to see where he will take the Doctor at xmas and s6.
Back to top Go down

Matt Smith departing Doctor Who?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next