DacaZ
beep
^o^CORVUS^o^
Clavius
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2

How would you rate Season 5 ?
Fantastic
How do you rate Season 5? - Page 2 Vote_lcap32%How do you rate Season 5? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 32% [ 9 ]
Great
How do you rate Season 5? - Page 2 Vote_lcap18%How do you rate Season 5? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 18% [ 5 ]
Good
How do you rate Season 5? - Page 2 Vote_lcap14%How do you rate Season 5? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 14% [ 4 ]
Ok
How do you rate Season 5? - Page 2 Vote_lcap7%How do you rate Season 5? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 7% [ 2 ]
Meh
How do you rate Season 5? - Page 2 Vote_lcap18%How do you rate Season 5? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 18% [ 5 ]
Terrible
How do you rate Season 5? - Page 2 Vote_lcap7%How do you rate Season 5? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 7% [ 2 ]
BRING ME THE HEAD OF STEPHEN MOFFAT!
How do you rate Season 5? - Page 2 Vote_lcap4%How do you rate Season 5? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 4% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 28

AuthorMessage
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2105
Registration date : 2008-04-04

How do you rate Season 5? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How do you rate Season 5?   How do you rate Season 5? - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 27, 2010 11:46 pm

haha, corvus, let me explain my twilight comparison(yes, a new one). everyone in this main cast: doctor, amy, and rory, is under the age 30(correct me if i'm wrong). this just seems to be the "twilight" age, where every tv show, movie, or novel involves either teenagers and 20 somethings. i know i'm just into my 30's, but i'm already feeling like an old crudmudgeon always yelling at kids to get off my porch. i think matt smith can pull off the doctor, but i'm still not sold on a companion as young as amy, and rory, well most people know how i feel about him. in closing, i just don't like young people(call me freddy krueger, i know!)
Back to top Go down
^o^CORVUS^o^
^o^CORVUS^o^

Number of posts : 634
Registration date : 2010-03-14

PostSubject: Re: How do you rate Season 5?   How do you rate Season 5? - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 27, 2010 11:57 pm

Ahhhh okay *lol*

Yes, they are quite young.

========================================
...^o^CORVUS^o^
Doctor Who: The Winds of Time
Back to top Go down
http://corvusonline.net/timewinds/
Vicki
Vicki

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2008-07-03

PostSubject: Re: How do you rate Season 5?   How do you rate Season 5? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 12:55 am

I give series 5 a fantastic rating!!!

I am still amazed that my reaction has been so positive. I was absolutely devastated that David Tennant was leaving -- DT is what brought me back into active Doctor Who fandom and was and is the closest thing to my ideal Doctor, so I was understandably not happy with the casting of such a young actor and I just didn't want David to go!!!

Then I saw The Eleventh Hour and was impressed immediately by Matt Smith's take on the character...and it just kept getting better! I loved Amy from the start, and absolutely fell in love with Rory, who is now my favorite companion, by the way! I loved the way Moffat and company were playing mind games with the stories, though I have to admit, I had my doubts after Cold Blood...but The Big Bang fixed it, yet still left certain things to be resolved later, which makes it even more exciting in anticipation of more!

As for the ages of the cast, I had my doubts to begin with, but Matt Smith, Karen Gillan and Arthur Darvill have more than proven themselves worthy IMO, and it's just not a factor anymore as far as I'm concerned! The characters, stories and performances are wonderful, and that's what matters!

I still consider David Tennant my Doctor, and I loved RTD's stuff and I also love Moffat's stuff...different from each other, but both good. Matt Smith has quickly become my second favorite Doctor...and is absolutely the Doctor as much as any of them...I'm really looking forward to the next series!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.livejournal.com/users/fleurette
Wes Crayon
Wes Crayon

Number of posts : 549
Registration date : 2008-08-26

PostSubject: Re: How do you rate Season 5?   How do you rate Season 5? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 3:01 am

squishy wrote:
Can't think of a truly dire episode this season. Some not as strong, but none were awful.
I thought Victory of the Daleks was utterly abominable...
Back to top Go down
http://www.scary-crayon.com/
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: How do you rate Season 5?   How do you rate Season 5? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 3:49 am

Okay, having just seen the finale, this one is better than series 4, which I loved... and am so happy that the Daleks weren't wiped out and we got only one that was destroyed. The story was amazing, though confusing at times. But I still really loved it.

Matt Smith has finally won me over and I love Amy and Rory. Next season is going to be absolutely awesome.

~
Back to top Go down
CJSchmidt
CJSchmidt

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: How do you rate Season 5?   How do you rate Season 5? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 12:09 pm

I gave the series as a whole "Great". There were a lot of fantastic moments and I really enjoyed the finale, but it wasn't a perfect series. I love Amy, but her character still has plenty of room to grow and the show could probably use a little more "heart" throughout the episodes to win over the big RTD fans.

My favorite aspect of this series has been the lack of low points. Not every episode blew my socks off, but there was a total lack of embarrassingly bad "cringe" moments (in my opinion) to bring things down. I thought preventing Professor Bracewell from exploding by making him feel human was my lone cringe moment, but in hindsight it sets up what happened with Rory pretty well and fits a lot better. I'll have to see how it feels when I rewatch the DVDs this fall.

I can't wait to see what will happen next year.
Back to top Go down
squishy
squishy

Number of posts : 2485
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: How do you rate Season 5?   How do you rate Season 5? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 1:02 pm

Wes Crayon wrote:
squishy wrote:
Can't think of a truly dire episode this season. Some not as strong, but none were awful.
I thought Victory of the Daleks was utterly abominable...

I'll agree that Victory was the weakest tale of the season and the new Dalek hunchback shape is ugly. There were a few clever bits that got a chuckle and the Daleks were back to being evil without needing a figurehead like Davros. The Spitfires in space was just about getting as absurd as I could tolerate. Amy saving the day two episodes in a row takes the spotlight off the Doctor which shouldn't happen very often (give Amy a Doctor-lite episode next season). But it wasn't boring and nowhere near as mortifying as the Doctor-with-Olympic-torch ending. Victory simply didn't deliver as much entertainment as I'd hoped.

Too bad the writers don't have someone reading the Fan Forums to let them know that going completely absurd or physically impossible doesn't sit well with this viewer.
Back to top Go down
rdks
rdks

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: How do you rate Season 5?   How do you rate Season 5? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 1:37 pm

I gave it a Meh, and that was being generous. The Beast Below was the single worst piece of crap I've ever had the misfortune of watching. Makes Fear Her look like Star Wars. This season has severely tested my limits as a Who fan. My friends no longer watch and mock me for watching - I mentioned to them the other day that the finale was on and was met with laughter and "you still watch that crap?". These are people who 2 years ago were at my place for every new episode, laughing and cheering together.

I managed to make it through the season but I don't want to see any more, especially after this seasons non-ending of an extremely dull story arc. Thank bejeezus there's still The Sarah Jane Adventures and Big Finish, as long as Moffat doesn't write them.

The one thing that shone through all the crap this season - Matt Smith. He's been brilliant, and it breaks my heart he's so good on a show that's so bad.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: How do you rate Season 5?   How do you rate Season 5? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 1:54 pm

rdks wrote:
I gave it a Meh, and that was being generous. The Beast Below was the single worst piece of crap I've ever had the misfortune of watching. Makes Fear Her look like Star Wars. This season has severely tested my limits as a Who fan. My friends no longer watch and mock me for watching - I mentioned to them the other day that the finale was on and was met with laughter and "you still watch that crap?". These are people who 2 years ago were at my place for every new episode, laughing and cheering together.

I managed to make it through the season but I don't want to see any more, especially after this seasons non-ending of an extremely dull story arc. Thank bejeezus there's still The Sarah Jane Adventures and Big Finish, as long as Moffat doesn't write them.

The one thing that shone through all the crap this season - Matt Smith. He's been brilliant, and it breaks my heart he's so good on a show that's so bad.

LOL! Sorry, I hear you, but there were quite a few funny little comments in there. Laughing
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7003
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: How do you rate Season 5?   How do you rate Season 5? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 3:09 pm

I'm in for a Meh also. I haven't been wowed at all this year, really. Granted, I have not seen episodes 11 - 13, but the other 10 have been kinda weak for me except for "Eleventh Hour" and "Vincent and the Doctor." I honestly feel "obligated" to watch every Saturday rather than looking forward to them. That has not happened since the series return n 2005. That said, I really like Matt Smith himself. I just don't think he's being served. You might call him the Sylvester McCoy of the new millenium!
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: How do you rate Season 5?   How do you rate Season 5? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 8:43 pm

Well, it has taken me a while to decide on my vote (great) and the reason is for the last 24 hours, barring sleep, I watch the entire season back to back. Yes, It is not RTD's Doctor Who, yes, it is not Barry Letts's Doctor Who, it is Stephen Moffat's Doctor Who. And I enjoyed it just as much as every other version of Doctor Who. I loved Matt's portrayal of the Doctor as much as every other actor. I even realized I like Amy a lot! She is an excited about going with the Doctor and learns quickly and pays attention to every detail, because she loves traveling with him(I love the way she bounces with excitement when meeting Churchill and seeing the War Rooms). Maybe that is why she "saves the day" so much. This is the first time I really paid attention to The Lodger, and suddenly realized that even it is a very charming episode.

I even like the new Daleks now, and can't wait to see them in action in the future! I thought Spitfires in Space was silly, but so darn cool!! Throw a tech-no gizmo in the planes and they are space ships!! Oh well, Pertwee built a time device from a wine bottle a tea cup and a couple forks! It has always been silly!

Vincent and the Doctor, I think has to be one of the best episodes ever!!

The final 2 episodes, especially when watched together are amazing! The emotions I went through with Rory, who I think is awesome too, finding he had lost Amy, then got her back, then killing her, then guarding her for 2000 years! I even loved the fairy tale ending, it was not what I have seen in Who before, more like Wizard of Oz,click your heals together and you are back in Kansas-type ending. Not very scientific, but I still loved it.

I suppose I am one of the rare Doctor Who fans who just love every Doctor Who story, regardless of how silly the "science" and there have been a lot of those. I watch Star Trek to see Sci-technobable, I watch Who to see a fantasy about a Timelord who travels in a Police Box that is a disguised time machine.

I am glad the 2 main mysteries are not totally solved, but soon will be:
Who is River Song?
Who is the voice in the TARDIS and why did it explode?

Yes, I miss David Tennant, but, my God, I miss Jon Pertwee, Tom, Bill, Pat, Peter, Colin, Sylvester, Paul and Chris too! But I don't miss them, because the Doctor is still here and I find it very entertaining. (And I have their DVDs, so I can always go timey-whimey and visit them!)

I can't wait until Christmas, and Season 6!

santa
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: How do you rate Season 5?   How do you rate Season 5? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 1:52 am

I have enjoyed Season Five to date and have quickly taken to Smith and Gillan, especially Smith's mix of attributes of many doctors before him, while creating his own stamp. My issue has been with BBCA's butchering of the scheduling to create a lull prior to and following the Vincent and Lodger eps, for no real reason I could discern. Its not as though they were concerned about the US in the World Cup or countering the networks' summer rerun programming. I think the lost momentum hurt BBCA and confused viewers.
BBCA also butchered the editing of Eleventh Hour post debut, cutting out the important Prisoner Zero comments at the end as related to The Silence. I do love BBCA but these decisions, especially with Julie Garner now being in the US ops, is weird.
Back to top Go down
greenk9
greenk9

Number of posts : 1313
Registration date : 2007-10-20

PostSubject: Re: How do you rate Season 5?   How do you rate Season 5? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 9:24 pm

I am part of the gang that let's see the whole season...and then rate. I felt that the 11th hr. was a strong opener...then the beast below, dalek eps. sort of knocked the luster a bit for me. I must admit, the more I watched of smith and co, the more I started to like. Smith is channeling crispen glover in a big way, but I do like his take. Vincent and the doctor was the best episode for me and really ranks up there with my favs of all time really. So for this season I vote sort of in the middle. I felt the same way about tennnats' first season...then fell in love with him latter. It does take a while to warm up to a doctor...and I am looking quite forward to season 6.
Back to top Go down

How do you rate Season 5?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2