8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
artanyus
artanyus

Number of posts : 1513
Registration date : 2010-03-14

"Growing-up" theme this season? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Growing-up" theme this season?   "Growing-up" theme this season? - Page 2 EmptyThu May 27, 2010 12:47 am

mysterylad wrote:
If you're looking for maturity, you're looking at the wrong fictional character.

First Doctor: an old curmudgeon, but every bit as petulant as a small child.
Second Doctor: always got panicky around monsters and bucked authority for his own amusement.
Third Doctor: the first one to be mature, really...and yet, he did aikido and dashed around in boy-toys such as Bessie and the Whomobile.
Fourth Doctor: a clown; the wisdom and intelligence were there, but matched in every way by buffoonery and recklessness.
Fifth Doctor: the second mature Doctor, and probably the one one who behaved as such consistently.
Sixth Doctor: the worst character traits of the First ratcheted up to 11; arrogant, self-absorbed, petulant, sulky...a brilliant child, on his best day.
Seventh: wise, mysterious...and prone to using those centuries of wisdom and experience to manipulate everyone around him, from the Daleks to Ace. A mature Doctor is a scary Doctor.
Eighth: probably the best balance of wisdom, intelligence, and light quirkiness (esp. in his flair for the romantic).
Ninth: angry and laden with baggage...propensity for thinking he's better than everyone else.
Tenth: lighter than #9, but still loaded with baggage and the same propensity for thinking he's better than everyone else. Even decides to start rewriting time simply because there's nobody around to stop him.

So if you don't like Matt Smith for acting young, how many of these guys DO you like? Smile

That is a very good summation of each of the Doctors. Spot on for each one. However, while I like many of those Doctor's I'm having a hard time liking Matt Smith still. The others acted childish, stuck up, and everything else, but the wisdom they showed helped provide a balance to that childishness in many instances (The Sixth Doctor being the exception). Matt Smith's Doctor really has shown that "check" and he's more like a child gone rampant in a candy store on a temper tantrum at times.

Don't get me wrong, I am doing my best try to like him, but so far, it's just doing anything for me. Who knows, if the writing improves for series 6 maybe then I will like him if series 5 fails to deliver.
Back to top Go down

"Growing-up" theme this season?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2