HomeSearchRegisterLog inThe Who North America Online StoreLatest images

Caprica

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

Caprica Empty
PostSubject: Caprica   Caprica EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 8:50 am

Anyone else watching this? I suspect it'll lose more than a few Galactica fans, despite the strong through-line of ideas connecting the two - it hasn't gone into space even once yet, and stuff doesn't blow up in every episode. It's going to be a slow-build show, and I'm not sure people have enough patience for that. I doubt it'll be around more than a season.

The opening titles may be the best TV title sequence to come down the pike since the '90s. Very artsy, and yet it sets up the characters and the conflicts - both those that are already driving the story and potential conflicts to come - incredibly well, without one word. This was incredibly refreshing in a world where the networks, both here and in the UK, want to spray the name of the show on our screens over 10 seconds of music rather than spending 40-50 seconds on something that sets up the show (when they could be selling that 40-50 seconds in ad time instead).
Back to top Go down
Evil Monkey Pope
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 2207
Registration date : 2007-07-16

Caprica Empty
PostSubject: Re: Caprica   Caprica EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 5:59 pm

It's surprisingly interesting.
I totally agree that the show has one of the best opening sequence montages I've seen since Carnivale, although the theme song could use some work.
It's neat to finally see a show where monotheism is a terrifying upstart. The religious terrorists come from a prosperous and prety tolerant society, so their motives are intriguging but not sympathetic.
The cast is solid but the standout is Zoe Graystone (Alessandra Torresani). She looks like a young Zooey Deschannel but she's also a convincing computer genius and hardline zealot.
The grief of the Graystones and Adamas are actually poignant instead of cliche, especially as they come to realize Zoe was involved with the terrorists.
A highlight of the show is when Zoe realizes she's human, avatar, and cylon simultaneously. Her friend calls her a Trinity, an overt Christianity reference. It could also refer to the older concept of the Triple Goddess of polytheism. Or it could imply she's a monstrous Chimaera.
The parts that don't gel so much are those that tie into BSG. The timeline of this show is too close to BSG. It seemed like it should've taken longer from the creation of cylons until their revolt. If not, it's odd that the events of the show weren't directly refernced on BSG. It'll also be disappointing if the cylons develop into rebellious zealots just because of Zoe's influence rather than their own development. So far, this show isn't clearing up the clusterfrak of the Final Five retcon. Naming everthing on the planet Caprica Somethingorother is dopey.
Back to top Go down
https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
Calixar
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

Caprica Empty
PostSubject: Re: Caprica   Caprica EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 1:29 am

The Five are still on their way from their Earth to the Colonies at this point. They don't arrive until near the end of the Cylon War. Right now I'm enjoying what they're doing with the groundwork for Cylon monotheism. I'm sure R&D have it worked out.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikaljohnson.com
The 2nd Doctor Roberts
The 2nd Doctor Roberts

Number of posts : 1163
Registration date : 2009-07-21

Caprica Empty
PostSubject: Re: Caprica   Caprica EmptySun Jan 02, 2011 2:12 am

For those interested, the former SciFi Channel is burning off the final five episodes of "Caprica" on Tuesday, January 4 from 6-11PM.
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 6151
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Caprica Empty
PostSubject: Re: Caprica   Caprica EmptySun Jan 02, 2011 3:04 am

I haven't seen them yet... got them in my netflix queue.

I do want to see the proposed 2nd spinoff- Blood and Chrome.
Back to top Go down
Calixar
Calixar

Caprica Empty
PostSubject: Re: Caprica   Caprica EmptySun Jan 02, 2011 12:43 pm

The 2nd Doctor Roberts wrote:
For those interested, the former SciFi Channel is burning off the final five episodes of "Caprica" on Tuesday, January 4 from 6-11PM.

Thanks for posting that. My DVR wasn't recognizing them as new episodes.
Back to top Go down
The 2nd Doctor Roberts
The 2nd Doctor Roberts

Number of posts : 1163
Registration date : 2009-07-21

Caprica Empty
PostSubject: Re: Caprica   Caprica EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 4:23 am

My DVR wasn't recognizing them either...because in the episode information, the "original air dates" are still what they would have been (11-02-10, etc.) had the show not been yanked off the air back in October.
Back to top Go down
Evil Monkey Pope
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 2207
Registration date : 2007-07-16

Caprica Empty
PostSubject: Re: Caprica   Caprica EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 3:59 am

After being forced to watch the final five episodes in a singl evening, I was surprised how well the series ended. It was certainly better than the conclusion of BSG. I wonder if they'll refernce it all in Blood & Chrome.
Back to top Go down
https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

Caprica Empty
PostSubject: Re: Caprica   Caprica EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 7:14 am

I bought the DVD set yesterday that has these episodes on it. It was released in December!! Haven't watched any of the "final five" yet!
Back to top Go down
Calixar
Calixar

Caprica Empty
PostSubject: Re: Caprica   Caprica EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 12:11 pm

I holding off buying it, hoping they do BluRay.
Back to top Go down

Caprica
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Life, the Universe and Everything :: Sci Fi Discussion-
Jump to: