Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeSearchRegisterLog inThe Who North America Online StoreLatest images

Your Favorite "Guilty Pleasure" Episodes?

Go down 
+7
Gunny
Ronpur
forbidden_moose
mysterylad
greenk9
rdks
Clavius
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Clavius
Clavius

Number of posts : 578
Registration date : 2007-10-03

Your Favorite "Guilty Pleasure" Episodes? Empty
PostSubject: Your Favorite "Guilty Pleasure" Episodes?   Your Favorite "Guilty Pleasure" Episodes? EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 4:10 pm

Just wondering, out of all of WHO-dom, there are plenty of GREAT episodes, but there are certainly also a handful of stinkers out there too. Let's not kid ourselves, they can't all be great.

So for you, are there any episodes that are generally regarded as bad, that you actually, for whatever reason, kind of like?

I'm sure most people enjoy a "good" b-movie. Whether if it's for one particular scene, just because of the actor who's in it, or perhaps it just had a good score. The same rules apply to Doctor Who.

I'll be honest and admit that some of my favorite episodes are many of the more "whimsical" ones. Some of the humor, wild adventure and goofiness in many of them, just kind of tickles me.

I actually enjoy (though I use that term loosely) a few of the early Sylvester McCoy episodes (except Time and the Rani, I don't think anything can save that one.) Paradise Towers, Delta and the Bannermen and The Greatest Show in the Galaxy to name a few.

What are your guilty pleasure episodes?
Back to top Go down
rdks
rdks

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite "Guilty Pleasure" Episodes?   Your Favorite "Guilty Pleasure" Episodes? EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 5:43 pm

Some of my favourite episodes are Horns of Nimon, Nightmare on Eden, Timelash (Paul Darrow!!), The Space Museum, Krotons, Dominators, and Love & Monsters.

Out of what's considered to be the worst Who, the only one I don't really enjoy is the Time Monster. But I haven't seen it in years, so another viewing is in order.

I don't count the McCoy era, because I haven't seen much of it. I've tried oh so many times, but it's soooo bad.

I also don't like most of the eps people say are the greatest, like Caves, Talons, Robots of Death, and Turn Left.
Back to top Go down
greenk9
greenk9

Number of posts : 1313
Registration date : 2007-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite "Guilty Pleasure" Episodes?   Your Favorite "Guilty Pleasure" Episodes? EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 8:08 pm

A lot of people knocked 42 but I really like the episode- it finally shows the doctor can be scared witless to...

I liked the mutants- bad cso and all- a great political tale...plus I loved the paper mache mutants-

I also like the power of krull- yes- I'm GUILTY! Maybe it's the men in green, gunrunners and a squid...who knows...I love camp.
Back to top Go down
mysterylad
mysterylad

Number of posts : 1660
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite "Guilty Pleasure" Episodes?   Your Favorite "Guilty Pleasure" Episodes? EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 9:51 pm

I like the early McCoy stuff just fine; the music was abysmal, but a lot of the stories were pure absurdist sci-fi akin to some of the features that have run in the 2000 AD weekly over the years. Delta and the Bannermen is hilarious when viewed in the proper light ("He's been ionized!"), as is The Happiness Patrol.

Regarding the new series, I like most of the episodes that take a drubbing on the 'net, including 42, The Idiot's Lantern, and yes, even Love and Monsters (it's a comedy episode people...is that really so hard to figure out?). The only episodes from the new series I really detest are Fear Her and Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks. Sadly, the more time goes by, the more I dislike The End of Time , too.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cmichaelhall.com
forbidden_moose

Number of posts : 370
Registration date : 2007-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite "Guilty Pleasure" Episodes?   Your Favorite "Guilty Pleasure" Episodes? EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 9:54 pm

The Two Doctors, The Mysterious Planet, Androids of Tara, Power of the Kroll, Black Orchid, and the Android Invasion

My favorite story of all time is Robot!
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite "Guilty Pleasure" Episodes?   Your Favorite "Guilty Pleasure" Episodes? EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 10:08 pm

Horns of Nimon, the Guilty part is that I like it, the Pleasure part is Romana's outfit and the scenes set on Crinoth with Sezom. Really kinda spooky
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite "Guilty Pleasure" Episodes?   Your Favorite "Guilty Pleasure" Episodes? EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 12:10 am

I love The Two Doctors! and The Silver Nemesis! Mainly because the first has Patrick and the latter has, well, Cybermen!
Back to top Go down
Gunny
Gunny

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2010-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite "Guilty Pleasure" Episodes?   Your Favorite "Guilty Pleasure" Episodes? EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 9:24 am

Mine would have to be the Paul McGann movie. I really enjoy watching it because I thought McGann was tremendous as the Doctor. I know a great many fans knock the movie but I think McCoy was excellent and McGann brought a great deal to the role.
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7003
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite "Guilty Pleasure" Episodes?   Your Favorite "Guilty Pleasure" Episodes? EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 5:47 pm

Gunny wrote:
Mine would have to be the Paul McGann movie. I really enjoy watching it because I thought McGann was tremendous as the Doctor. I know a great many fans knock the movie but I think McCoy was excellent and McGann brought a great deal to the role.

I agree. I also like the unpopular Day of the Daleks, Meglos, Four to Doomday, Time-Flight, and Love and Monsters. I don't know why. Different strokes for different folks???
Back to top Go down
hitman hart
hitman hart

Number of posts : 1150
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite "Guilty Pleasure" Episodes?   Your Favorite "Guilty Pleasure" Episodes? EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 10:52 pm

i really like paridise towers. but i dont think any of the classics are really bad, i think because i watched them all when i was a kid (started when i was nine) and you could buy alot of things in those shows that maybe a teenage or adult eye would tear apart instantly. all the old ones just take me back to waking up early on sunday morning and turning on the vcr to watch the previous nights episode early in the morning before my parents got up(wasnt allowed to stay up till 11 when the show aired on etv in columbia). so im biased. new i must say the only new series eps i skip are fear her and the daleks in manhatten two parter. did people really not like turn left? i thought that ep was really good. oh well. to each his or her own.
Back to top Go down
tegan4
tegan4

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2009-12-21

PostSubject: Guily Pleasure eps.   Your Favorite "Guilty Pleasure" Episodes? EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 4:21 am

I really like 'The Gunfighters', lol. It's just kind of light and the story (to me, anyway) moves along at a good pace. And 'The Chase'.

I like all of the McCoys. They're kind of so silly that you possibley think they can't be real at times, but that's some of the joy of classic DW.

I also like 'Android Invasion'. It's always been one of my favs. I was surprised recently when I heard some people discussing it as one of Tom's worst eps.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite "Guilty Pleasure" Episodes?   Your Favorite "Guilty Pleasure" Episodes? EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 6:14 am

I have to admit to being a huge fan of a couple of much-derided episodes: Love & Monsters and the somewhat similar (but much darker) Torchwood episode Random Shoes. Shortly after L&M aired, I waxed pretty eloquent about it on my site, perhaps overanalyzing a little bit, but still I stand behind it - one of my favorites of the RTD era.

From the original series, I like quite a few that aren't on anyone's favorites list: Ambassadors Of Death, The Mutants, even Underworld - a story which is due a major reassessment, as it really pointed the way toward Doctor Who's future in a way nobody could've imagined with its created-in-composite sets. And I think my love of nearly the entire McCoy era and the 1996 McGann movie is pretty well documented already.

Some favorite Big Finish dark horse entries: Doctor Who and the Pirates (I greatly dislike "special musical episodes" of most things, but this I loved), Scherzo, Creatures Of Beauty, most (but not all!) of The Rapture, and Shadow Of The Scourge.

It'd probably just save time for me to say that even if I don't love just about all of it, I try to find things that I do like about each adventure, and the creative act of trying to reconcile all of it into one timeline is a fun pastime in and of itself.
Back to top Go down
Tuf
Tuf

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2007-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite "Guilty Pleasure" Episodes?   Your Favorite "Guilty Pleasure" Episodes? EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 1:22 pm

Some of mine are: The Mutants, Colony In Space, Delta and the Bannermen and The Invisible Enemy, which is one of my favorites of all time.
Back to top Go down
greenk9
greenk9

Number of posts : 1313
Registration date : 2007-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite "Guilty Pleasure" Episodes?   Your Favorite "Guilty Pleasure" Episodes? EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 3:41 pm

yeah tuf- i'd have to say the invisible enemy also- IT INTRODUCES K-9!!!!! Also in a way it was an early doctor lite episode so to speak.
Back to top Go down

Your Favorite "Guilty Pleasure" Episodes?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Doctor Who Discussion-
Jump to: