8 posters
AuthorMessage
hitman hart
hitman hart

Number of posts : 1150
Registration date : 2009-01-24

the new v. Empty
PostSubject: the new v.   the new v. EmptyTue Nov 10, 2009 1:18 am

i say the new v last week and i must say i was very impressed. i really enjoyed the series as a child and i caught a marathon on sc fi to gear up for the new show and i still loved it. true it was campy and definatly dated in the eighties with teased up hair and high heel shoes but i still enjoyed it. the show has two firefly alums and juliet from lost. i was kinda worried about how they would do it but i think they pulled it off marvelously. curious on others opinions or if anyone else checked it out.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

the new v. Empty
PostSubject: Re: the new v.   the new v. EmptyTue Nov 10, 2009 9:26 am

I was bit bored during the first half hour, but it did get interesting. I hope it comes out good in the following weeks. I loved the original, and own the DVDs. I was always jealous of the one scene where the kids were playing with their V action figures and spaceship toys! I wanted one!
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2105
Registration date : 2008-04-04

the new v. Empty
PostSubject: Re: the new v.   the new v. EmptyTue Nov 10, 2009 11:39 pm

great series so far. steve the pirate is now steve the alien. hope they do the alien baby in the new series.
Back to top Go down
hitman hart
hitman hart

the new v. Empty
PostSubject: Re: the new v.   the new v. EmptyWed Nov 11, 2009 3:32 am

saw the second one and still enjoyed it. i dont want to spoil anything for people but i found myself wishing i was watching it on dvd so i could keep going.
Back to top Go down
CJSchmidt
CJSchmidt

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2007-02-01

the new v. Empty
PostSubject: Re: the new v.   the new v. EmptyWed Nov 11, 2009 3:16 pm

It will be interesting to see what happens after the hiatus.

Apparently ABC execs started interfering with the show and have retooled everything after the first four episodes (which will be aired later).

They didn't even give people a chance to see the show before they started screwing with it. What if people don't like whatever dumbed down, politically corrected version comes back in a few months? The idiot suits will probably feel vindicated that they were right and the show was a flop.

I thought the decision to mirror some of the themes from the election were great. Good scifi should take your preconceived notions, current events, and beliefs then stir them up and have you look at things from a different angle.

That being said - I think the concepts were better than the execution so far. I'm starting to get sick of the story telling formula so much of these shows use.
Back to top Go down
Christian
Christian

Number of posts : 395
Registration date : 2009-10-28

the new v. Empty
PostSubject: Re: the new v.   the new v. EmptyWed Nov 11, 2009 3:32 pm

CJSchmidt, I couldn't agree more with you!

Granted I'm a child of the original but as well but just the retooling of the plot and all wasn't for me. And any show that takes a few month hiatus is always doomed.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christiankern.com
jonwes
jonwes

Number of posts : 4627

the new v. Empty
PostSubject: Re: the new v.   the new v. EmptyWed Nov 11, 2009 4:20 pm

I thought the first episode was kind of boring. The second one got my interest though. All this talk of liberal/right-wing blah blah blah that's swirling around it seems kind of silly. I think they're just playing around with some real-world themes and more power to them. But I do agree I wish the actual execution was better.

I wouldn't assume that network involvement automatically means it's watered down. It could get BETTER. They might have stepped in when they realized the show wasn't as good as they hoped. But frankly if people don't continue to like what they see with the next two episodes, I'm not sure how much chance a relaunch next March has.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

the new v. Empty
PostSubject: Re: the new v.   the new v. EmptyWed Nov 11, 2009 4:30 pm

Network interference... can anyone say Crusade? I tried to record last nights episode, but all I got was the video and not the audio, DAMM!
Back to top Go down
hitman hart
hitman hart

the new v. Empty
PostSubject: Re: the new v.   the new v. EmptyWed Nov 11, 2009 6:13 pm

yeah this really sucks, march!! but i'll wait. they took a break in dollhouse too, which i dont know sucks too.
Back to top Go down
CrochetOwl

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2008-01-08

the new v. Empty
PostSubject: Re: the new v.   the new v. EmptyThu Nov 12, 2009 9:09 pm

Have no interest in the new V. Have the two miniseries which are still enjoyable (the first series spinoff though was bad).

I really wish they would stop it with the remakes both on television and in the movies. It isn't like there isn't fresh material out there but I guess they want to play it say and redo things over and over again. Now I heard they are redoing the Reincarnation of Peter Proud which I remember from years ago. Stop the madness.
Back to top Go down
jonwes
jonwes

Number of posts : 4627

the new v. Empty
PostSubject: Re: the new v.   the new v. EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 12:57 am

I don't think remakes are bad in a blanket way. Some are done in an interesting enough way (BSG) to make it worth it. That being said, most are blah.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

the new v. Empty
PostSubject: Re: the new v.   the new v. EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 12:36 am

Is it just me or is the latest batch of V episodes kinda, well, boring? I realize that what we had in the 80's was a ten hour spectacular, and then a, umm, I really dont know what to call that, um, train wreck maybe?

Anyway, it seems like things are taking too long to develop.

What do you all think?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

the new v. Empty
PostSubject: Re: the new v.   the new v. EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 3:27 am

Hoosier Whovian wrote:
Anyway, it seems like things are taking too long to develop.
Ding! Ding! Ding! Give that man a cigar. Or, if he's not partial to cigars, give that man a Krynoid BAF.

This is a phenomenon I've noticed with a LOT of shows trying to ride the coattails of Lost. You know, Lost wasn't the first serialized prime time drama in the history of TV, but it has always boasted an interesting ratio of revelations vs. new questions, and has had a habit of making both the questions and the revealed answers very interesting. A lot of shows have tried to copy this - step up to the plate, V and Flash Forward - without making it nearly as interesting. Non-genre fare that tries to tease things out (what happened to the owner of the voice narrating Desperate Housewives, anyway?) tends to stumble into ever-more-improbably-plotted soap territory. Even the ones that were interesting (ABC's cancelled series Invasion) didn't pop the ratings numbers necessary to stick around.

Galactica teased things out more successfully, but after year one, the seasons were just too long to sustain continued viewer interest against the ongoing tease. Season 3 was brutal to get through. They almost lost me.

I'd be all for the US broadcasters resting the "ongoing serialized plotline" attempts for a while, until someone figures out how to do it right again. Lost, Twin Peaks (at least the first season and the first 5-6 of season 2) and the first four seasons of Babylon 5 were gold, but it's such a tricky tightrope to walk. The concerns of the loyal audience have to be addressed, but spending too much time appeasing the "appointment viewing" crowd can cost you the "random sampling" viewers, who won't know what's going on (a charge that was commonly - and unfairly - leveled at Farscape and B5).
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2105
Registration date : 2008-04-04

the new v. Empty
PostSubject: Re: the new v.   the new v. EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 7:46 pm

i actually disagree. i think the first 4 episodes of v were good in a "serialized" sort of way. i wanted to keep watching it. but when it came back from hiatus, it was action scene this, reveal that. there's no mystery to the show anymore. every week i find myself falling asleep during it, and watching it later on.

i love lost, but i think v had a chance before they retooled it to bring in the "casual viewer". i'm sorry, but as a hard-core scifi(not syfy) fan, i don' t care less about ratings or casual viewers. i would rather have a deep, thought provoking show, than a ratings monster that has no heart. one of my favorite "serial" shows was star trek: deep space nine. i think the fact that they kept it on for what, 9 years, shows that a hard-core audience can stay loyal. and by the end of the show's run, i did feel like it payed off.

shows these days don't think they will have any longevity, so they try to reveal everything in one season. i heard that flashforward got cancelled. so was journeyman. i lay some of the blame of the network, who won't back shows for the long run, when they can fill it's timeslot with a cheap reality show.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

the new v. Empty
PostSubject: Re: the new v.   the new v. EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 8:28 pm

Deep Space Nine was on for 7 seasons. It went from strength to strength. In fact, in history (college level) we are discussing race relations and the 1950's. I took in Far Beyond the Stars for my Prof to look at. Most college kids these days need short bursts of info like TV shows provide to relate.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

the new v. Empty
PostSubject: Re: the new v.   the new v. EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 8:48 pm

Hoosier Whovian wrote:
Deep Space Nine was on for 7 seasons. It went from strength to strength. In fact, in history (college level) we are discussing race relations and the 1950's. I took in Far Beyond the Stars for my Prof to look at. Most college kids these days need short bursts of info like TV shows provide to relate.

Oh, that was a brilliant episode, from a brilliant series! I remember that one, and the one with Billy Mummy, The Siege of AR-558, and In the Pale Moonlight, when Sisko tricks the Romulans into joining the war. Two very dark and dramatic episodes, and my favorites.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

the new v. Empty
PostSubject: Re: the new v.   the new v. EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 9:55 pm

Rewatch In the Pale Moonlight, and look at Sisko in between each scene in his quarters. They did a subtle dramatic bit with him shedding more and more of his uniform as he got on. A way of showing him getting more and more 'comfortable' with the decidion he made. I got that from the Companion book.

That episode at one point was voted most popular of all Treks.

Just have to pop that in now that you have me thinking about it. sunny
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

the new v. Empty
PostSubject: Re: the new v.   the new v. EmptySat May 01, 2010 4:25 am

I remember that one as well, the whole thing where he kept on knocking back more and more of a bottle of something that one got the impression had no synthehol in it whatsoever. I always read the gradual shedding of the uniform layers (holy crap, but those DS9 uniforms must've been warm) as his feeling less and less like the boy scouts that everyone expected Starfleet to be - he'd lost a bit of his pride in wearing that uniform.

DS9 is the one "original universe" Trek that I wish could be revisited.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

the new v. Empty
PostSubject: Re: the new v.   the new v. EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 10:23 pm

It was good. The first half was kinda boring. But the second half was great. Wish they showed the aliens more. Sad
Back to top Go down
mike7184

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2011-01-19

the new v. Empty
PostSubject: Re: the new v.   the new v. EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 5:02 am

It's brilliant series . I always like to watch such type of stories .
Back to top Go down
http://www.edogo.com/

the new v.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Life, the Universe and Everything :: Sci Fi Discussion-
Jump to: