Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeSearchRegisterLog inThe Who North America Online StoreLatest images

Do you love "classic who, new who...or both?

Go down 
+10
CJSchmidt
cinnur
gunzlingr
tegan4
LakeErieMonster
forbidden_moose
timewarrior
mysterylad
Christian
greenk9
14 posters

Favorite Who?
Early Who (1-3)
Do you love "classic who, new who...or both? Vote_lcap6%Do you love "classic who, new who...or both? Vote_rcap
 6% [ 1 ]
Middle Who (4-7)
Do you love "classic who, new who...or both? Vote_lcap50%Do you love "classic who, new who...or both? Vote_rcap
 50% [ 9 ]
Movie Who (8)
Do you love "classic who, new who...or both? Vote_lcap0%Do you love "classic who, new who...or both? Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
New Who (9-11)
Do you love "classic who, new who...or both? Vote_lcap44%Do you love "classic who, new who...or both? Vote_rcap
 44% [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 18

AuthorMessage
greenk9
greenk9

Number of posts : 1313
Registration date : 2007-10-20

Do you love "classic who, new who...or both? Empty
PostSubject: Do you love "classic who, new who...or both?   Do you love "classic who, new who...or both? EmptyMon Nov 02, 2009 11:31 pm

Well here is an age old argument... which is better old or new who and why?

I am from the camp that classic and new who are the same...just like any show that has a great shelf life it re invents itself. Look at how different it was from Pat T. to Pertwee...huge leaps and bounds. Tom Baker- 3 producers- look at how drastically different it evolved in those seven seasons. The new series took the logical leap from becoming a less stage bound show, but still intelligent and a product of modern times like the old dw shows were in their day.

Last edited by CJSchmidt on Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:04 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added a poll. Hope that's ok! -CJ)
Back to top Go down
Christian
Christian

Number of posts : 395
Registration date : 2009-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Do you love "classic who, new who...or both?   Do you love "classic who, new who...or both? EmptyMon Nov 02, 2009 11:44 pm

The same! From Classic Who to novels to audios to New Series... it's all the same... all about the same Time Lord...

It's all one big show for me!
Back to top Go down
http://www.christiankern.com
mysterylad
mysterylad

Number of posts : 1660
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Do you love "classic who, new who...or both?   Do you love "classic who, new who...or both? EmptyTue Nov 03, 2009 1:33 am

Same show, different era. That's part of the beauty of the property...it's flexible.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cmichaelhall.com
timewarrior
timewarrior

Number of posts : 4016
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Do you love "classic who, new who...or both?   Do you love "classic who, new who...or both? EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 10:11 pm

Show good!
Back to top Go down
forbidden_moose

Number of posts : 370
Registration date : 2007-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Do you love "classic who, new who...or both?   Do you love "classic who, new who...or both? EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 9:34 am

It's the same show but I prefer the classics. It's just the story style and the production. I like how this program changes constantly, Each time the Doctor regenerates the program changes a little in style, often in regeneration stories where the old production group have to deal with a new cast it produces an episode with a unique tone. A great example of this is Robot. Think of the style changes with new producers coming in. This program is all about change, even if that change comes into the form of Collin Baker yelling some twenty syllable word that no one would ever use, we still love this program.
unrelated but did anyone notice that The Next Doctor had the first real confirmation that the eighth Doctor was canon? (not counting The Family of Blood, could of been some one else I supose) Even if the BBC doctor Who website listed it as Canon (The most Sacrosanct Repository of Who releated knowlege ever) Some people disputed this, (It was an American production)
Back to top Go down
LakeErieMonster
LakeErieMonster

Number of posts : 581
Registration date : 2007-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Do you love "classic who, new who...or both?   Do you love "classic who, new who...or both? EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 3:12 pm

I don't like to differentiate either. It's all WHO some eras are better than others, some you make like more, but it all boils down to the same overall character the Doctor. An alien fighting away all the monsters who go bump in the night for mankind and the universe.
Back to top Go down
tegan4
tegan4

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2009-12-21

PostSubject: Classic DW.   Do you love "classic who, new who...or both? EmptyTue Dec 29, 2009 5:00 am

For me, it's all classic DW all the way!!! To me, the new series is just frosting on an already perfect cake. I'd take a classic ep over a new series ep any day.
One of the only things I really am thankful for out of the new series is the return of Sarah Jane, which has now given us the SJA.
One of the things that makes me the maddest in this world is when new series fans talk negatively about the classic series. They've never seen an ep, and they sit there and talk about how old and out of date it is.... I've literally have had to been restrained at cons before from going up to complete strangers and going 'Umm, excuse me, do you know that without those 40 years, we wouldn't have what we have today?' It's just very insulting to me. If you only like the new series that's fine, but atleast have some type of respect for it's history. Meh. Ok, done ranting, lol. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Do you love "classic who, new who...or both?   Do you love "classic who, new who...or both? EmptyTue Dec 29, 2009 7:38 am

I love the classics, even though I've only ever seen a few (I'm just starting to collect the DVD's) but they are brill. Especially Tom, you've gotta love him! But as my favourite Doctor is David Tennant, then of course I love the new series! Why would I hate it?

Jon
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Do you love "classic who, new who...or both?   Do you love "classic who, new who...or both? EmptyTue Dec 29, 2009 9:16 am

It's all Doctor Who to me, what's not to love?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Do you love "classic who, new who...or both?   Do you love "classic who, new who...or both? EmptyTue Dec 29, 2009 9:55 am

Earl Green wrote:
It's all Doctor Who to me, what's not to love?

Good point Smile

Jon
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Do you love "classic who, new who...or both?   Do you love "classic who, new who...or both? EmptyTue Dec 29, 2009 1:56 pm

I enjoy both, although as far as 'NewWho' goes, the end of series two is where I started to get bored with some of the storytelling.

But I am glad we have Doctor Who still!
Back to top Go down
gunzlingr
gunzlingr

Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2007-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Do you love "classic who, new who...or both?   Do you love "classic who, new who...or both? EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 4:45 pm

I like it all. May like some episodes less than others, but Doctor Who is Doctor Who.
Back to top Go down
cinnur
cinnur

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2007-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Do you love "classic who, new who...or both?   Do you love "classic who, new who...or both? EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 7:09 pm

I enjoy the original run, as well as the new series run.

When I watch the original run I find I tend to prefer and enjoy the Hartnell stories the most, Troughton being second choice.
The Doctor is much more fun, and innocent, at this time. Not the all powerful legendary grandiose Timelord that knows everything. He instead usually has to learn and understand a new situation from scratch.

With the new series, I seem to gravitate towards Eccleston's run the most.
Back to top Go down
CJSchmidt
CJSchmidt

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Do you love "classic who, new who...or both?   Do you love "classic who, new who...or both? EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 9:06 pm

Added a poll! You don't know how hard it was to leave off a "I love it all!" option, but then we all know which one would win. :-)
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Do you love "classic who, new who...or both?   Do you love "classic who, new who...or both? EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 11:12 pm

Middle Who just eeked ahead of Early Who, and that is because Doctor Tom was my first one.

I did giggle at the movie who option.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Do you love "classic who, new who...or both?   Do you love "classic who, new who...or both? EmptyTue Jan 05, 2010 8:24 pm

I'm a fan of both old who and new who, however new who is a bit more special to me. The majority of my time watching old who was when I was quite young and home sick on various occasions, so it brings back some not-so-great memories. However the excitement that was triggered when they announced they were brining it back is insurmountable. It's great to have a tv show to mark you calendar over!
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2105
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Do you love "classic who, new who...or both?   Do you love "classic who, new who...or both? EmptyTue Jan 05, 2010 8:27 pm

dang, with all the options, i almost think tennant should get a category all to himself. eccleston was great, and brought the series back, but david tennant is the best there is, best there was, and best there ever will be!(send hate mail here).
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Do you love "classic who, new who...or both?   Do you love "classic who, new who...or both? EmptyTue Jan 05, 2010 8:32 pm

Tennant definitely embodies the Doctor. No question about it! I can honestly say that I have yet to experience another tv show that has made me angry, happy, sad, and scared all in one episode haha!
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Do you love "classic who, new who...or both?   Do you love "classic who, new who...or both? EmptyTue Jan 05, 2010 9:00 pm

I would have to vote 'All Who"!
Back to top Go down
Vicki
Vicki

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2008-07-03

PostSubject: Re: Do you love "classic who, new who...or both?   Do you love "classic who, new who...or both? EmptyWed Jan 06, 2010 11:38 am

bret_owen99 wrote:
dang, with all the options, i almost think tennant should get a category all to himself. eccleston was great, and brought the series back, but david tennant is the best there is, best there was, and best there ever will be!(send hate mail here).

Agreed!!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.livejournal.com/users/fleurette
CrochetOwl

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2008-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Do you love "classic who, new who...or both?   Do you love "classic who, new who...or both? EmptyWed Jan 06, 2010 6:37 pm

I enjoy both the Classic and new Who. For the classic, I couldn't get into Colin Baker's Doctor too much (too arrogant but Big Finish audios I really enjoy of him) and the first two series of Sylvester's Doctor was a massive downgrade in quality. As for new Who, DT is the man and always will be.
Back to top Go down

Do you love "classic who, new who...or both?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Doctor Who Discussion-
Jump to: