22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Christian
Christian

Number of posts : 395
Registration date : 2009-10-28

The First Time - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The First Time   The First Time - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 02, 2009 4:11 pm

I remember the Henry Silva intros, I actually have some back when I would record WYBE a couple years back! I love his voice over for Pyramids of Mars! That stuff is just cool in a story teller kind of way...

And as for childhood crushes... Lalla Ward... oh Romana... how I would sit and stare as a child...
Back to top Go down
http://www.christiankern.com
SeaDevil
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 7003
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: The First Time   The First Time - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 02, 2009 5:43 pm

I was a Star Trek guy. I would occasionally flip channels past PBS and see that Who was on but didn't really watch. I knew Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker as the Doctor, but that was about it. I first started to watch it seriously with the TV movie in 1996. When we got the SciFi channel I would watch it sporadically, being on in the mornings. However, when the Ninth Doctor started airing in the UK, a friend of mine downloaded the episodes and I was hooked for good. I went back and got all the original series on VHS or DVD and have been eating it up ever since! But it really goes back to Paul McGann believe it or not. BTW, I thought he was a marvelous Doctor despite the shortcomings of the movie itself.
Back to top Go down
Christian
Christian

Number of posts : 395
Registration date : 2009-10-28

PostSubject: Re: The First Time   The First Time - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 02, 2009 5:48 pm

You know I heard stories of how early on Sci-Fi or is it SyFy now? Would show Doctor Who... but only the black and white Hartnell & Troughton. I always felt cheated my area got the sci-fi channel well past that time in the begining.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christiankern.com
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The First Time   The First Time - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 02, 2009 6:34 pm

I'm pretty sure that Sci-Fi US/SyFy only ever aired middle-Tom Baker-era episodes, and that was just for a brief time after they started up. I don't think they ever even went into Pertwee territory.
Back to top Go down
doctorskey
doctorskey

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2009-10-06

PostSubject: Re: The First Time   The First Time - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 02, 2009 6:54 pm

Your right SciFi did run some of the Baker episodes in their early days in the serial format instead of the movie length versions that many PBS stations ran. As for the Silva intros I think only heard one of those and that was int he middle of the story Underworld. Later when I got a copy of one of the official Tom Baker DVDs I got to hear some of those intros
Back to top Go down
greenk9
greenk9

Number of posts : 1313
Registration date : 2007-10-20

PostSubject: Re: The First Time   The First Time - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 02, 2009 11:21 pm

80's wttw in chicago...after monty python and dave allen, sunday at 11. I was in the sixth grade...had a terrible cold...older brother said to stay up late and watch this show he discovered called doctor who. The first episode I ever saw was logopolis...I never in all of my years ever found a t.v. show that was love at first sight...well who was just that! I never saw anything like it and still to this day- no other show compares to it's humour, drama, quirkiness, uniqueness and flat out smashing adventures. Thought that I would outgrow it- I was wrong- still love it after all of these years.
Back to top Go down
jdwpin
jdwpin

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2007-02-19

PostSubject: Re: The First Time   The First Time - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 10:57 pm

First time for me was when I was about 7 and Pertwee was the Doctor. My father loved the show and my mother and siblings did not, so it was special "Daddy and Me" time.

By the time I was 15, our station had been in a cycle of repeats for a while and I'd lost interest - until a trip to England with my parents. Weather was bad, Dad was having trouble with the standard car, we were lost, parents were fighting - then I saw the sign "Doctor Who Exhibition"! I shouted "Stop!" and it was the turning point of our trip. Nothing like stepping into the Tardis, getting scanned by a Dalek and seeing K9 to rekindle a love! I spent all the money I'd saved for the trip in the gift shop at the end and have been a collector ever since.

Just got back from my second trip overseas - this time to Glasgow - and saw the current Dr.Who Exhibition there. Fantastic.

When I curl up and watch the show late at night in my pjs, it's like I'm a little girl again and my Dad's still with me.
Back to top Go down
tegan4
tegan4

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2009-12-21

PostSubject: First time seeing DW.   The First Time - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 29, 2009 4:45 am

My earliest memories of DW are from the mid 1980's, when I was around 4 or 5 or so. My mom and sister would watch DW every Sunday night on the local Chicago PBS, and also tape them, and rewatch them during the week, so I kind of grew up with it from an early age. My earliest memory of a specific ep is Castrovalva. My mom knitted my sister and I a scarf, and my dad brought home a large fridge box we used to play in as our 'TARDIS', lol. I just kept on watching, and turned into a full on collector/ addict around age 12. I even got a TARDIS key tattoo when I turned 18, lol.
Back to top Go down
doctorskey
doctorskey

PostSubject: Re: The First Time   The First Time - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 29, 2009 5:16 am

Wow. Its been a while since anyone logged in here and its been worth the wait. I love reading these stories of people's first time with the Doctor. A llitte off subject but whats the thoughts about the Christmas Special. Personally I am waiting to see till part two airs so I can see them back to back.
Back to top Go down
gunzlingr
gunzlingr

Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2007-11-30

PostSubject: Re: The First Time   The First Time - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 5:02 pm

1987 ish, my friend Dale told me about it being on PBS. Hand of Fear (Eldred MUST LIVE!). Soon I was reading the novelizations (not knowing there was more than just Tom Baker) and ending up all confused when I read The Five Doctors. It has been my one constant since then- I have all the novelizations, NAs, MAs, PDAs, and ton of other books, dvds, vhs tapes, cds, figures, games, posters, etc.
Back to top Go down
doctorskey
doctorskey

PostSubject: Re: The First Time   The First Time - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 5:49 pm

My first Novelization came after I stated seeing the series. I found a copy of Genesis of the Daleks. After that it was regular trips to Bookland to get them to order a new book for me. I got through a lot of stories that I wouldn't have seen otherwise. the real shame was that the book stores in Decatur didn't cary any of the on the shelf. A friend of mine had a hard back that his mother found on with some book club that had three stories in one "Face of Evil", and "Deadly Assassin". I can't remember what the third one was anymore.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The First Time   The First Time - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 6:04 pm

The first time I saw Doctor Who was when I watched a few episodes from Eccleston's series that my Dad had taped on VHS. I watched them, and I was stunned. It was everything I'd ever dreamed of in a Sci-Fi show. I just loved the fact of a Time Machine that was "Bigger on the inside!". It just blew me away.

Then I started to watch the episodes as they were broadcasted, and I think that would have started at "Boom Town".

Then of course Tennant came in, and Doctor Who was now a big thing in my life, after watching alot of classic episodes too. Tennant just....I dunno, words just can't descrive how much I loved the show! He was brilliant! I have grown up with his series' and now I will always remember him and the show, as a big aspect in my childhood. Even if I went off Who in about 30 years, I'd still remember how fantastic it was.

Then of course, I can remember my first Doctor Who figures. It was the "R/C K-9 with Tenth Doctor" and the other pack was the "R/C Dalek". I loved them, but I loved the Doctor figure more.

Then to date, I've never missed an episode since Boom Town. I've got near enough every CO figure and I can truly assure.... Doctor Who will stay with me to the final day.

LONG LIVE DOCTOR WHO AND ALL IT'S FANDOM AND GLORY!!

Jon
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: The First Time   The First Time - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 07, 2010 8:27 am

PBS for me too, WILL-TV in Champaign, Illinois, why I was a student at the University of Illinois. Friends who knew the show,, knew I liked Star Trek (my nickname was Spock!) and got me to try it. I was hooked. My first episode was part 2 of the Ribos Operation. The Student Union bookstore sold all the Target novels and some of those big books too. So, I got caught up on the earlier Doctors thru those. Eventually, they got Pertwee, and Docs 1 and 2 as well. Doctor Who was the reason I bought my first VCR, so I could record the shows.
Back to top Go down
doctorskey
doctorskey

PostSubject: Re: The First Time   The First Time - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 3:38 pm

Just thought I would ad a few bits. I was remembering when I introduced my first girlfriend to the good Doctor. I was showing her one of my favorites. "The Destiny of the Daleks" She didn't care for it and called it boring. I was a little shocked but oh well. My dad sat there laughing, but that was nothing special he laughed at it regularly. Anything requiring imagination was beyond him anyway.
after some years of being apart we got back together about the time the new series came out, this time she wasn't bored. We spent a lot of time together watching the knew series for as long our relationship lasted. When we talk now the Doctor winds up in the conversation somewhere. Oh and my dad is still laughing at Doctor Who.
Back to top Go down
RevClaire
RevClaire

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2010-03-09

PostSubject: Re: The First Time   The First Time - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 3:58 pm

Hmm... a lot of small brushes with the show before finally settling to roost in the last few years; Part of a Pertwee episode (from, I think, Curse of Peladon, waiting for the DVD release to make sure!) in 92, 93? The issue of Death's Head with McCoy and the Tissue Compression Eliminator bought at a flea-market around that time... Saw the TV movie but I'm pretty sure I fell asleep halfway as I had absolutely no memory of the middle third for years. Trail goes cold for a while until I caught a bit of the end of a Tom Baker story in 2001 maybe. At this point still only barely interested really though-- it took most of "Dalek" in 2006 on the SciFi channel to spark my interest, caught up with the UK broadcasts within a few months. Wasn't until I started buying Classic Series DVDs by the armload in the last year or so that I've been your general-issue, fact-overloaded, nigh-stereotypical US fan though. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The First Time   The First Time - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 4:03 pm

doctorskey wrote:
Oh and my dad is still laughing at Doctor Who.

The aliens and creatures can be kinda humorous at times. In all honesty, I laughed all the way through Love and Monsters. The Abzorbalof was absolutely terrible! I think I read somewhere that it was actually the winner of a "Totally Doctor Who [CBBC] competition", where kids had to send in pictures of their created monsters/creatures.

That episode was a fail, an EPIC FAIL!!
Back to top Go down
doctorskey
doctorskey

PostSubject: Re: The First Time   The First Time - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 5:54 pm

I don't know about Love and Monsters. Story wise it was pretty good. True the monster was a little silly looking but that is part of the charm of the show. You can't really take many of the monsters on Doctor Who seriously. I just got my hands on the Ice Warrior figure and I want to laugh, and the early Cybermen from Tenth Planet through Revenge of the Cybermen don't look that good, but they had kids imitating them in the school yard the next day. Cheesy, held together by sellotape and prayer and yet you can't help but love them.
Back to top Go down
Thete
Thete

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2010-01-12

PostSubject: Re: The First Time   The First Time - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 7:20 pm

My first Who was new series 1 ep 2 "the end of the world". Absolutly loved the 9th doctor, and I've been happily drowning in Who's glorious depth ever since, somewhat like a slug caught in a beer trap The First Time - Page 2 Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
paulgee31
paulgee31

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2009-11-20

PostSubject: Re: The First Time   The First Time - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 03, 2010 5:55 pm

For me it was the Green Death back in '73. The giant maggots scared the heck out of me.

Paul.

WhoNews - the iPhone app for all the latest Doctor Who news www.moonboom.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.moonboom.com

The First Time
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2