AC Rempt
jfh100970
9 posters
AuthorMessage
jfh100970

Number of posts : 249
Registration date : 2007-09-12

The End of The Doctor Who Forum Empty
PostSubject: The End of The Doctor Who Forum   The End of The Doctor Who Forum EmptyTue Jun 02, 2009 8:19 pm

There's an announcement on the Doctor Who Newspage from Shaun Lyon that the newspage as well as the entire forum is coming to an end on July 31st. Such a shame.

I don't know about others, but I'm finding it very hard to follow my favorite program these days. Ironically, it was much easier for me to stay loyal when there was no new series.

I'm not sure if I'll continue watching or not. Time will tell. It always does. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
AC Rempt
AC Rempt

Number of posts : 830
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: The End of The Doctor Who Forum   The End of The Doctor Who Forum EmptyWed Jun 03, 2009 12:32 am

This is pretty depressing. I love that site, even is I rarely post.

It's also weird that in the last week, Lying in The Gutters came to an end on CBR, the Ten Doctors strip wrapped up, and now this. I feel like I'm losing too much too fast!

Sorry to be so melodramatic, but I am/was attached to these sites. Ugh.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sophiethedog.com
amagon
amagon

Number of posts : 2763
Registration date : 2007-02-04

PostSubject: Re: The End of The Doctor Who Forum   The End of The Doctor Who Forum EmptyWed Jun 03, 2009 12:56 am

Yeah, I loved The Ten Doctors strip (though Rich did say he would do other stories)!

You would think the forum would go away sometime AFTER the series is gone forever, but....
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The End of The Doctor Who Forum   The End of The Doctor Who Forum EmptyWed Jun 03, 2009 2:38 am

I only frequent the online forum from the UK. I wasnt allowed to join the other one. So no loss to me.
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: The End of The Doctor Who Forum   The End of The Doctor Who Forum EmptyWed Jun 03, 2009 8:06 am

I will miss the news page, but frankly, I prefer our much smaller forum here. I found it hard to even follow posts on the site some times. I could never read them fast enough! Or even have the time to read them. Plus, I have found more people with common interests here, toy collecting and customizing.
Back to top Go down
jfh100970

PostSubject: Re: The End of The Doctor Who Forum   The End of The Doctor Who Forum EmptyWed Jun 03, 2009 10:53 am

I will admit the amount of posting on the DWF could be overwhelming at times. I never bothered reading every single post though just the most recent stuff. While I'm at it I will point out that the number of posts went down considerably in the toys section when CO decided to stop putting up pictures of their upcoming releases. The section almost became a ghost town after this action.

Although I loved reading the sections, the one thing that I didn't like were the cliques even though people in these groups would not admit that they were being cliquey. Talk about high school mentality. I found it very hard at times to interact with others because I wasn't part of the "In" crowd. Of course I later found out that this happens on all sites and even in every day life so this isn't anything out of the ordinary. Unfortunate this is.

The bottom line is that I will miss the DW Newspage and Forum. I've been going to these sites since the "wilderness" years and I have always found them to be a great source of information. Plus it was very easy for me to navigate through the database as well. I find that it's ironic that the termination of the DWF happens as I find my interest in Doctor waning quite a bit too. Oh well.

Last edited by jfh100970 on Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)
Back to top Go down
amagon
amagon

Number of posts : 2763
Registration date : 2007-02-04

PostSubject: Re: The End of The Doctor Who Forum   The End of The Doctor Who Forum EmptyWed Jun 03, 2009 11:01 am

I really only stayed on the Toys and especially the customs.
Back to top Go down
jonwes
jonwes

Number of posts : 4627

PostSubject: Re: The End of The Doctor Who Forum   The End of The Doctor Who Forum EmptyWed Jun 03, 2009 11:26 am

It could be annoying at times, and very clique-ish, but overall I really enjoyed my time there.
Back to top Go down
AC Rempt
AC Rempt

PostSubject: Re: The End of The Doctor Who Forum   The End of The Doctor Who Forum EmptyWed Jun 03, 2009 12:02 pm

And it was great for lurking. I learned a lot without ever having to be social or risk rejection Wink

I also depended on OG for news flashes, like the new companion. Any good sites for that sort of Who news?
Back to top Go down
AC Rempt
AC Rempt

PostSubject: Re: The End of The Doctor Who Forum   The End of The Doctor Who Forum EmptyWed Jun 03, 2009 12:05 pm

amagon wrote:
Yeah, I loved The Ten Doctors strip (though Rich did say he would do other stories)!

But when? I'm getting pretty Who starved with no new shows past the occasional special, no new toys past the PITA exclusives and now, no new Ten Docs strip or OG. It's a blasted conspiracy, I tell ya!

:master:
Back to top Go down
jfh100970

PostSubject: Re: The End of The Doctor Who Forum   The End of The Doctor Who Forum EmptyWed Jun 03, 2009 12:09 pm

AC Rempt wrote:
And it was great for lurking. I learned a lot without ever having to be social or risk rejection Wink

I also depended on OG for news flashes, like the new companion. Any good sites for that sort of Who news?

Well today I read that there's going to be a new site called Gallifrey Base coming soon. It's going to be similar to how Outpost Gallifrey was.

I was also a lurker for a long time as well before I even started adding content. That's why I used to roll up my eyes with people who had these massive message counts and acted like that gave them seniority. Just because my count is low doesn't mean I'm wet behind the ears. Gimme a break. Very Happy

Last edited by jfh100970 on Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:12 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Forgot Somethin')
Back to top Go down
greenk9
greenk9

Number of posts : 1313
Registration date : 2007-10-20

PostSubject: Re: The End of The Doctor Who Forum   The End of The Doctor Who Forum EmptyWed Jun 03, 2009 12:59 pm

Oh I will miss og for the news mainly. What I like so much about this forum is that it is really really rare that anyone snipes at each other. Honestly I have not read an ill tempered poster here...whereas og sometimes people would be rather mean and a bit too over opinionated- i.e. my views are the only views that count so pthpppttttt! I love listening to other people likes and dislikes- rather than chastise them. Anyone who likes doctor who in any way shape or form is wonderful. Sorry rant...but anyway,
the chat room on og was a blast plus the spoiler digging sometimes turned fruitful..sad.
Back to top Go down
carrma
carrma

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2007-11-23

PostSubject: Re: The End of The Doctor Who Forum   The End of The Doctor Who Forum EmptyWed Jun 03, 2009 2:48 pm

I'll miss OG quite a bit. I did not post that often but it was a site I checked daily. It was an amazing resource for news and the forum was generally well behaved or at least well moderated. I liked that they kept the design simple and clean so that the focus was more about the words and less about how many image files you can cram into your signature line. Hopefully what ever replaces it will be as well supported and worth exploring.
Back to top Go down
ozjenny

Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2007-08-12

PostSubject: Re: The End of The Doctor Who Forum   The End of The Doctor Who Forum EmptyWed Jun 03, 2009 5:40 pm

I'll miss it. There was (still is, for now) a very active Australian thread in the toy section. It was a great place to hang out, with really nice, like-minded people. It was especially good to be able to vent frustration about lack of toys without spoiling everyone else's fun! Not that you guys aren't great too. I love you You're just a long. long way away...

Editing to add that most of the DWF Toyroom people seem to have headed to the new Outpost Who http://www.outpostwho.com/index.php - it's fun and friendly, and well worth having a look at. You do need to register, but that's pretty painless. Laughing
Back to top Go down
greenk9
greenk9

PostSubject: Re: The End of The Doctor Who Forum   The End of The Doctor Who Forum EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 11:58 pm

boy if you really want some really good spoilers check out the new gallifrey base site- wow.
Back to top Go down
AC Rempt
AC Rempt

PostSubject: Re: The End of The Doctor Who Forum   The End of The Doctor Who Forum EmptyTue Jun 16, 2009 12:58 am

What part? So far, I'm on the boards, but I haven't seen any spoilers.

Edit: Oh wait. Never mind. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
greenk9
greenk9

PostSubject: Re: The End of The Doctor Who Forum   The End of The Doctor Who Forum EmptyTue Jun 16, 2009 9:36 am

that's a big spoiler eh mr. rempt?
Back to top Go down
AC Rempt
AC Rempt

PostSubject: Re: The End of The Doctor Who Forum   The End of The Doctor Who Forum EmptyTue Jun 16, 2009 12:11 pm

Pretty much, yeah, and a cool one!
Back to top Go down
Clavius
Clavius

Number of posts : 578
Registration date : 2007-10-03

PostSubject: Re: The End of The Doctor Who Forum   The End of The Doctor Who Forum EmptyTue Jun 16, 2009 12:32 pm

I both love and hate spoilers. I try so hard to avoid them, yet am drawn to them like a moth to a flame.

I got pretty giddy at that one for many reasons.
Back to top Go down
AC Rempt
AC Rempt

PostSubject: Re: The End of The Doctor Who Forum   The End of The Doctor Who Forum EmptyTue Jun 16, 2009 12:36 pm

The thing about spoilers for me is that they increase my level of anticipation, but they never work out the way I think they will.

So I hear that X is on the show, and I get all worked up thinking how they might be used. Then it's something totally different.

And spoilers always seem to be "X is on the show." When I heard Michelle Ryan was going to be on, I had all sorts of preconceived notions that were 100% wrong.
Back to top Go down
Clavius
Clavius

Number of posts : 578
Registration date : 2007-10-03

PostSubject: Re: The End of The Doctor Who Forum   The End of The Doctor Who Forum EmptyTue Jun 16, 2009 12:46 pm

X is going to be on the show too? I LOVE that guy! Wink
Back to top Go down
AC Rempt
AC Rempt

PostSubject: Re: The End of The Doctor Who Forum   The End of The Doctor Who Forum EmptyTue Jun 16, 2009 1:02 pm

"Guy"?!? Laughing
Back to top Go down

The End of The Doctor Who Forum
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Doctor Who Discussion-
Jump to: