Ben C.
Brain of Davros
Ronpur
Evil Monkey Pope
TinDogRory
10 posters

Rate The Woman Who Fell to Earth
AWESOME!!!
S11E01: The Woman Who Fell to Earth Vote_lcap12%S11E01: The Woman Who Fell to Earth Vote_rcap
 12% [ 2 ]
Good!
S11E01: The Woman Who Fell to Earth Vote_lcap47%S11E01: The Woman Who Fell to Earth Vote_rcap
 47% [ 8 ]
Okay...
S11E01: The Woman Who Fell to Earth Vote_lcap12%S11E01: The Woman Who Fell to Earth Vote_rcap
 12% [ 2 ]
Bad!
S11E01: The Woman Who Fell to Earth Vote_lcap18%S11E01: The Woman Who Fell to Earth Vote_rcap
 18% [ 3 ]
AWFUL!
S11E01: The Woman Who Fell to Earth Vote_lcap11%S11E01: The Woman Who Fell to Earth Vote_rcap
 11% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 17

AuthorMessage
TinDogRory
TinDogRory

Number of posts : 1462
Registration date : 2010-07-20

S11E01: The Woman Who Fell to Earth Empty
PostSubject: S11E01: The Woman Who Fell to Earth   S11E01: The Woman Who Fell to Earth EmptySun Oct 07, 2018 3:53 pm

New Doctor, New Companions, New Series!
Back to top Go down
http://aykfpod.com
Evil Monkey Pope
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 2205
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: S11E01: The Woman Who Fell to Earth   S11E01: The Woman Who Fell to Earth EmptySun Oct 07, 2018 4:04 pm

WHERE THE FRELL WAS THE TITLE SEQUENCE WITH THE ICONIC THEME MUSIC?
Back to top Go down
https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
TinDogRory
TinDogRory

PostSubject: Re: S11E01: The Woman Who Fell to Earth   S11E01: The Woman Who Fell to Earth EmptySun Oct 07, 2018 4:24 pm

Doctor introductions are a bit of a mixed bag. I rewatched all of them over Christmas as part of "14 Regenerations of Christmas" and I have to say, one's that I'd long held up as great - "Spearhead" particularly - are really bad and one's I'd thought poor - "Robot" - were fantastic. I think it's nearly "universal" that "The Eleventh Hour" is definitely the best example of post-regeneration episode. Hits all the right notes, gives us character instead of a heavy plot. And it's clear that "Woman Who Fell to Earth" is cut from the same cloth.

The plot of the episode is actually a little ho-hum. Essentially the Doctor vs. The Predator. The resolution is a classic Doctor who stand-off, if it feels a little quickly handled and there are some odd conveniences. But the plot, the doctor staves off alien invasion very quickly is kind of a hallmark of these now.

Character-wise, though, this episode really sang. You get a great flavor for everyone, they all have things to do - though perhaps Yas is slightly short changed - and you get a feel for where the arcs will go. Jodie is the Doctor, immediately. Feels fresh, but also leaning very much Smith/Capaldi territory but I can see where the differences will come. The companions are all interesting. A little different dynamic then we've seen before. And hints of a more First Doctor type of story.

Production wise the change in filming and scoring are immediately noticeable. (A little annoyed that the American simulcast cut out the theme and end credits.) The filming is great, the direction feels a little more mature. Definitely felt like Broadchurch with all the outdoor-shots.

I think I'd ultimately rate the episode as one of the stronger post-regeneration tales we've had. Not as good as "Eleventh Hour," maybe on par with "Deep Breath" and just a hair above "Robot." There are some things I'd've changed or edited out.

I wil say, BBC America's commercial placement and the sheer number of them is problematic and really chopped up the pacing a bit.
Back to top Go down
TinDogRory
TinDogRory

PostSubject: Re: S11E01: The Woman Who Fell to Earth   S11E01: The Woman Who Fell to Earth EmptySun Oct 07, 2018 4:25 pm

Evil Monkey Pope wrote:

Yes, I couldn't figure that out. The only sign of it was the brief sting of it after the Doctor... lands?
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: S11E01: The Woman Who Fell to Earth   S11E01: The Woman Who Fell to Earth EmptySun Oct 07, 2018 6:56 pm

I really enjoy her as the Doctor. I hope her craziness continues. I find her accent quite charming and far more easier to understand than I feared. I love the supporting cast. But, the episode just didn't do much for me. I felt it was just bland. Like something a fan film could have done. I am really worried about what Chris C. will do. His Who episodes and Torchwood episodes are not among my favorites. Time will tell.....it always does.
Back to top Go down
Brain of Davros
Brain of Davros

Number of posts : 1279
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: S11E01: The Woman Who Fell to Earth   S11E01: The Woman Who Fell to Earth EmptyMon Oct 08, 2018 1:40 am

Sorry guys but that was pretty much garbage.

Pros

The supporting cast

Cons

Everything else

The grandmother seemed like a fun character and it sucked that she was killed off since she would have been fun to watch for a few episodes.

No opening title sequence WTF!??!

Jodie was just ok.Had a bit trouble with the accent.

The new outfit "I don't like it" at all.

That bs launch party they had before and after on BBC America where people only watched and loves it because a woman is playing the Who role now.

The story itself was a generic Torchwood tale without the cast.

The senseless killing of the old man security guard who was on the phone with his grandchild left a bad taste.

No Tardis

Teethface

That total crap about not liking letters used for meaning something. Hello T.A.R.D.I.S.

No ending sequence.

I give it a D rating.

Too bad but crap writing will continue to doom the show.

But yay the Doctor is a female NOW.Whoooooooo. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Brain of Davros
Brain of Davros

PostSubject: Re: S11E01: The Woman Who Fell to Earth   S11E01: The Woman Who Fell to Earth EmptyMon Oct 08, 2018 2:30 am

Evil Monkey Pope wrote:

Here it is and it's good but should've been in the opening with Vortex.

Back to top Go down
TinDogRory
TinDogRory

PostSubject: Re: S11E01: The Woman Who Fell to Earth   S11E01: The Woman Who Fell to Earth EmptyMon Oct 08, 2018 7:19 am

Interesting that they went back to a more clearly-classic theme arrangement. Also, feels a little bit inspired by the Eighth Doctor and War Doctor themes from Big Finish.
Back to top Go down
Ben C.
Ben C.

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2014-07-24

PostSubject: Re: S11E01: The Woman Who Fell to Earth   S11E01: The Woman Who Fell to Earth EmptyMon Oct 08, 2018 8:07 am

Brain of Davros wrote:
The senseless killing of the old man security guard who was on the phone with his grandchild left a bad taste.

That put such a smile on my face - it completely reminded me of the 4th Doctor episodes where there would be this little vignette with innocent, throwaway characters getting mercilessly slaughtered by the 'monster of the week'. To me it was such an obvious callback / wink to older Who fans like myself who kind of miss that trope in a nostalgic way Smile . And they laid it on absurdly thick to really let you know, which for some reason made it even better?
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9626
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: S11E01: The Woman Who Fell to Earth   S11E01: The Woman Who Fell to Earth EmptyMon Oct 08, 2018 8:13 am

Brain of Davros wrote:

That's it! That is what I was trying to figure out what it reminded me of. And I hated Chibnall's episodes on Torchwood. Not a good sign.
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 6151
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: S11E01: The Woman Who Fell to Earth   S11E01: The Woman Who Fell to Earth EmptyMon Oct 08, 2018 9:00 am

Ronpur wrote:

That's it!  That is what I was trying to figure out what it reminded me of. And I hated Chibnall's episodes on Torchwood.  Not a good sign.

When Yaz showed up at the scene and Ryan was telling her about the blue pod, all I said to myself was "Just call Torchwood. Problem solved."

cheers

Back to top Go down
Krynoid
Krynoid

Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2009-01-29

PostSubject: Re: S11E01: The Woman Who Fell to Earth   S11E01: The Woman Who Fell to Earth EmptyTue Oct 09, 2018 11:17 am

No opening theme, no TARDIS, no "Doctor"...really hard to say it was Dr Who...

...and we'll just gloss over the fact that she fell from space?!?!?!?

The Doctor can't survive a fall from a radio tower but when he's a WOMAN, he can survive a fall from SPACE!

I'm surprised that no one mentioned the similarity between this episode and Predator.
Back to top Go down
TinDogRory
TinDogRory

PostSubject: Re: S11E01: The Woman Who Fell to Earth   S11E01: The Woman Who Fell to Earth EmptyTue Oct 09, 2018 8:07 pm

Krynoid wrote:
No opening theme, no TARDIS, no "Doctor"...really hard to say it was Dr Who...

I mean, she was right there. Little hard to miss her.

Krynoid wrote:
...and we'll just gloss over the fact that she fell from space?!?!?!?

The Doctor can't survive a fall from a radio tower but when he's a WOMAN, he can survive a fall from SPACE!

Some technobabble about the first 18 hours of regeneration that allows the Doctor to regrow a hand or the ability of the regeneration energy to fix cuts and burns and de-age folks in time for poignant moments really fixes this. She is shown glowing with regeneration energy and much 10 she "burps" some out. So I'm going to say there was a here-to-fore unmentioned physical malleability shortly after regeneration. Perhaps the same one that allows Romana to change appearance, that the Doctor has.

Krynoid wrote:
I'm surprised that no one mentioned the similarity between this episode and Predator.

I literally did, above.
Back to top Go down
TinDogRory
TinDogRory

PostSubject: Re: S11E01: The Woman Who Fell to Earth   S11E01: The Woman Who Fell to Earth EmptyTue Oct 09, 2018 8:17 pm

Ben C. wrote:
Brain of Davros wrote:

That put such a smile on my face - it completely reminded me of the 4th Doctor episodes where there would be this little vignette with innocent, throwaway characters getting mercilessly slaughtered by the 'monster of the week'. To me it was such an obvious callback / wink to older Who fans like myself who kind of miss that trope in a nostalgic way Smile . And they laid it on absurdly thick to really let you know, which for some reason made it even better?

Someone noted that it reminded them of Chris Claremont, the long-time writer of the X-Men comics from the late 70s through 91, who would frequently include extensive biographies in the caption boxes of newly introduced "extras" who were killed off by the issue's end. And once I had that in mind, I couldn't not see it.

The senseless deaths only matter if there's pathos, otherwise they're non-entities.
Back to top Go down
Evil Monkey Pope
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 2205
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: S11E01: The Woman Who Fell to Earth   S11E01: The Woman Who Fell to Earth EmptyThu Oct 11, 2018 3:46 pm

Plot holes are common in Doctor Who, but usually they’re handled with more ingenuity, humor, or panache. This episode was flat & slow. This feels like a forgettable mid-season episode, not the dawn of a bold new era. It’s even more underwhelming in comparison to the premieres of the RTD & Moffat reigns. This really needed to be a humdinger to win over the naysayers (& validate the supporters). Chibnall can’t just coast on the novelty of debuting the first canonical woman Doctor.
https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/2018/10/11/doctor-who-dc-too/
S11E01: The Woman Who Fell to Earth Doctor13
Back to top Go down
https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
mysterylad
mysterylad

Number of posts : 1660
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: S11E01: The Woman Who Fell to Earth   S11E01: The Woman Who Fell to Earth EmptySat Oct 13, 2018 2:22 pm

I quite liked it (I immediately watched it a second time), and I quite like her!

The overall vibe (palette, pacing, staging, etc.) reminded me of the more horror-inspired DW stories of my youth, which is fine by me! I also like having a Doctor for whom empathy and compassion are second nature and who doesn't have trouble expressing those things. It was fun watching Capaldi struggle with that sort of thing, but half the fun of regeneration is seeing what the next person does completely differently.

I literally laughed with delight when she said, "Don't be scared. All this is new to you, and new can be scary," and again when she said "We can evolve while still staying true to who we are. We can honor who we’ve been and choose who we want to be next.” I think I'm going to enjoy the next few years, and if I'm alone in that, I don't mind.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cmichaelhall.com
Brain of Davros
Brain of Davros

PostSubject: Re: S11E01: The Woman Who Fell to Earth   S11E01: The Woman Who Fell to Earth EmptySun Oct 14, 2018 3:11 pm

Let me guess,you LOVED and LAUGHED when she had her finger up her nose right?

Plus WTF was that ending when they were all in space floating? I'm sure the Tardis was invisible right next to them right?
Back to top Go down
Just Scott
Just Scott

Number of posts : 1269
Registration date : 2012-01-11

PostSubject: Re: S11E01: The Woman Who Fell to Earth   S11E01: The Woman Who Fell to Earth EmptySun Oct 14, 2018 5:07 pm

Ronpur wrote:
Brain of Davros wrote:

That's it!  That is what I was trying to figure out what it reminded me of. And I hated Chibnall's episodes on Torchwood.  Not a good sign.

"Written by Chris Chibnall" are now the saddest four words in the English Dictionary......... Laughing
Back to top Go down
timewarrior
timewarrior

Number of posts : 4016
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: S11E01: The Woman Who Fell to Earth   S11E01: The Woman Who Fell to Earth EmptyMon Oct 22, 2018 9:15 pm

I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would.
Back to top Go down

S11E01: The Woman Who Fell to Earth
Page 1 of 1